Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to say in a percentage. My rosacea was already looking fine, so my skin isn't much different. It's just that I can do more without having it act up. I can order a wider variety of foods at restaurants and walk outside when it's in the 30s, for example. So, the measurement would be in quality of life. Maybe a 25 percent improvement?

Artist

Comment

why you dont take glutamine and probiotics

Comment

Probiotics make me flushy for some reason. How does glutamine help?

Comment

it reduce intestine permeability

Comment

ahhh. Thanks. I'll have to look into that. Artist

Comment

Does HCI and Glutamine work for somebody?

Comment

do someone know how to improve intestinal mucosa?

Comment

Yeah but what about the people with high acid in their stomach. I saw someone wrote low acid. I have high...Jenn
                  Please hurry Sansrosa!!!

Comment

Hi all
                    Just wanted to jump in with some info on IBD that I believe has some relevance here. There is some great work being done in Dublin in this area which will be of interest to anyone suffering from this condition. Let me show you firstly an introductory article from 2006 that was featured in the country's leading newspaper:

Thu, 20th Apr, 2006 - Conway researchers fight inflammation
                    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........
                    Some diseases have a knack of kicking you when you are down. For example, in bowel conditions such as Crohn’s disease, inflamed tissue runs low on vital oxygen. This in turn can make the inflammation even worse, setting up a vicious cycle.

Researchers at University College Dublin (UCD) want to break that cycle, and they are shedding new light on how low oxygen levels feed into inflammatory bowel disease. They have also teamed up with an Irish biotechnology company to develop ways of delivering therapeutic drugs specifically to the inflamed cells that need them.

“Basically we are interested in the cellular impact of oxygen deprivation,” explains Dr Cormac Taylor, who heads the research group at UCD’s Conway Institute. In conditions such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, regions of the gut wall can become inflamed and damaged, and because the blood vessels break down they can no longer deliver oxygen efficiently to cells. This means patches of the gut tissue can become hypoxic, a condition where the supply of oxygen dose not meet the tissue’s demands, explains Dr Taylor.

The UCD group is now looking for biochemical links between oxygen deprivation and inflammation, which often occur together in disease states. Their focus in on the epithelial cells that line the inside of the gut.
                    “It’s the layer just one cell thick that separates the internal compartment from the external compartment,” explains Taylor, who says we rely heavily on those cells not to leak. “If that layer is compromised then the contents of your gut start soiling into your blood and immune system and you get a chronic inflammatory situation.”

To recreate this critical gut barrier in the lab, the UCD group grows sheets of human colon epithelial cells and carries out experiments in an oxygen-controlled chamber. Their results show that the cells are more sensitive to inflammation if they were depleted of oxygen.

“We have found that when cells are exposed to hypoxia it has the potential to amplify other inflammatory states that are going on,” says Eoin Cummins, a PhD candidate in Dr Taylor’s lab. The group has also shed new light on how an enzyme called prolyl-hydroxylase contributes to inflammation in the oxygen-starved cells, according to Cummins, who presented the results at a recent prestigious Keystone Symposium in Colorado. He says the enzyme could provide clues for developing new drugs to treat inflammation.

However, any current or future therapeutic drugs first need to be delivered effectively to the damaged tissue. “There are all these great drugs but if you can’t get them into the place you want to get them, it’s not much use” says Dr Taylor.

This is why Science Foundation Ireland has funded a two-year, “grass-roots” collaboration between his lab and Dublin-based Sigmoid Biotechnologies, which has developed a new drug delivery system called LEDDS. The technology formulates non-water-soluble drugs into easily swallowed mini-capsules, explains Sigmoid's CEO, Dr Ivan Coulter. The LEDDS micro-capsules can then be specially coated so they get past the stomach and distribute well through the gut. Coatings can also control the drug’s release over time, says Coulter. “It’s about getting the drug to the right place in the right quantities,” he explains.

Pharmacist Dr Fergal Seeballuck will now test LEDDS formulations of anti-inflammatory agents on the UCD gut model to find out how the oxygen-starved, “leaky” cells take up the drugs. The aim is to find the optimum formulation that gets taken up selectively by inflamed tissue, explains Dr Taylor. “If you could get more efficient delivery of these drugs to the inflamed tissue, you could get more effective therapies.”

And the application don’t stop there. “The beauty of the LEDDS system is that you could apply it to any drug, from aspirin to Zantac,” says Dr Taylor. “What has also become apparent in recent years is that tumours are quite hypoxic and inflamed,” he says. “It’s amazing how similar inflammation and cancer actually are and the argument is that inflammation feeds into cancer quite significantly. So the technologies and the information that we develop could be applied to cancer chemotherapy too in the future.”

©Irish Times
                    Thursday 20th April 2006
                    Author: Dr Claire O’Connell

This was brought to my attention due to the release of another article only a few days ago in the same publication. Looks like they are ready to go into clinical trials with this one. As a sufferer of both IBD and rosacea I am somewhat excited about this. Read on...

Wed, 16th Jan, 2008 - Irish scientists have identified a potential new treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
                    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........
                    Irish scientists have discovered a new potential therapeutic approach to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), a chronic debilitating disease involving inflammation of the intestine which affects more than 15,000 people in Ireland and millions of people worldwide.

People suffering from IBD can experience an array of symptoms ranging from mild discomfort to debilitating disease requiring surgical removal of large parts of the intestine. Current therapeutic options in IBD are very limited and surgery is often the only option.

In the new discovery published in the scientific journal Gastroenterology, the Irish scientists have demonstrated that they can almost completely reverse the symptoms of IBD in a disease model using a new class of drugs known as hydroxylase inhibitors.

“Under normal conditions our gastro-intestinal tract is lined with cells that block the contents of the gut from leaking into the intestine,” explains Professor Cormac Taylor from the UCD Conway Institute, one of the principal scientists involved in the discovery. “However, when a person is suffering from IBD this barrier is broken and the contents of the gut leak out into surrounding areas.”

“When we applied the new drugs, the gut was tricked into thinking that it was being deprived of oxygen and this activated protective pathways which in turn prevented the death of the cells that line the gastrointestinal tract,” continues Professor Taylor.

While completing their investigation, the Irish researchers became aware of a similar study taking place at the University of Colorado, Denver. This study appears as an accompanying article in the same issue of Gastroenterology. The US study, while using a different hydroxylase inhibitor, supports the Irish scientist’s research findings.

The Irish and US research groups will now begin a collaborative investigation to bring the discovery to the next stage which involves developing a new therapeutic which can be delivered safely to humans.

“By working in collaboration with Sigmoid Biotechnologies, a Dublin based drug delivery company, we intend to focus on developing methods to safely deliver these drugs to their intended target in the inflamed gut,” says Professor Taylor.

“These findings show that cross-university partnerships adopted by the new generation of Science Foundation Ireland funded Irish scientists will help to drive Ireland’s future knowledge economy,” says Professor Padraic Fallon, SFI Stokes Professor, TCD School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, the other principal research scientist involved in the Irish discovery.

“If Ireland is to compete at the forefront of scientific discoveries and to develop partnerships with the international biotechnology sector, our scientist must work together in synergy,” continues Professor Fallon.

The Irish research groups led by Professor Taylor at University College Dublin and Dr Fallon at Trinity College Dublin have recently received independent investigator awards from Science Foundation Ireland totaling over €1 million each.

Hope this was of some use to someone
                    Cheers
                    Conor

Comment

Sorry, should also give a link to these guys:

http://www.ucd.ie/conway/index.html

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was a great post. Very exciting news.

Comment

I'm starting to think glutamine deficiency plays a role in all of this.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/glutamine-000307.htm

Comment

[quote="jennfran"]Yeah but what about the people with high acid in their stomach. I saw someone wrote low acid. I have high...Jenn[
                            /quote]

how do you know this?

Comment

because I will have acid that comes back up in my throat, if I burp or something it comes up..sorry to be gross. I must have alot of acid if it is coming back up, right? Thanks..Jenn
                              Please hurry Sansrosa!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thatguy
                                I'm starting to think glutamine deficiency plays a role in all of this.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/glutamine-000307.htm
                                Interesting. Crohn's disease is a recurring theme, I see it everywhere.
                                KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Comment

Working...
                                X