Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIBO rosacea link

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to share my story:

    2 weeks ago I started a zero-carb diet. The first 2 days went well (my body was using all the stored glucose) but after that, I got 3 days of extreme sickness (SIBO die-off?). I decided to stop the diet. The following couple of days I couldn't believe what happened. My rosacea was almost completely gone ! Now, 2 weeks later, my rosacea is back (and worse than before). I'm going to make a gastroenterologist appointment tomorrow and try to convince him to prescribe me antibiotics. I've had extreme reflux problems the last couple of months so I was planning on going anyway. I'll probably have to do a gastroscopy, which I'm not looking forward to, but actually I will be happy if he finds something unusual, so I know that's the cause of my Rosacea problems. I'll keep you updated.

    Comment


    • 5th week on the anti candida diet

      I have been on a diet consisting of only chicken eggs and veggies for 5 weeks. So far no change. How long will it take?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Timmyb View Post
        I have been on a diet consisting of only chicken eggs and veggies for 5 weeks. So far no change. How long will it take?
        You have to do it at least a few months.

        Update: I have been continuing on in my 'experiment' to take care of my gut and so far I have seen some promising results. Nothing major but I am starting to see a very slow but gradual change in my skin. Sadly, I had one new pastual form, still better than 2 or 3 I get every so often. The redness remains but sometimes it starts to disappear. I can't explain it, like I will be walking by in the mirror and notice that the redness is disappearing but other times in the day it will be back in full effect.

        Its difficult to say what is working or if its even working at all and this is just the 'placebo' effect. I will continue on and see if their are any better changes in a week from now.

        Comment


        • mini update. My rifaximin tablets came in today. I will begin the 10 day course and see what happens.

          Comment


          • Very interesting article

            This is really a very interesting article.

            In my opinion, it is very possible that there is a link between the gut and rosacea and there has to be much more research into this relation. Hopefully, this new discovery can lead to a new vision on health and some diseases...

            http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8547454.stm

            enjoy the article and greetings

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JPak View Post
              mini update. My rifaximin tablets came in today. I will begin the 10 day course and see what happens.
              Keep us updated JPak

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mojo7 View Post
                This is really a very interesting article.

                In my opinion, it is very possible that there is a link between the gut and rosacea and there has to be much more research into this relation. Hopefully, this new discovery can lead to a new vision on health and some diseases...

                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8547454.stm

                enjoy the article and greetings
                Thanks for the article. I have added it to my post on this subject.
                Brady Barrows
                Blog - Join the RRDi


                Comment


                • articles

                  @ Brady : if you're interested ... some more detailed articles

                  http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1104....2011.249.html

                  http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ized-medicine/

                  http://www.newscientist.com/article/...cosystems.html

                  Hopefully this is a new way of thinking in the world of medicine ...

                  greetings

                  Comment


                  • Hello all, On my last day of rifaximin and sadly I have not noticed any change in my skin. I actually broke out again. . The more research I do the more I'm convinced my skin problems are brought out by accutane that I took many years ago and histamine. Further study is required.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mojo7 View Post
                      @ Brady : if you're interested ... some more detailed articles

                      http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1104....2011.249.html

                      http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ized-medicine/

                      http://www.newscientist.com/article/...cosystems.html

                      Hopefully this is a new way of thinking in the world of medicine ...

                      greetings
                      Yes. I have read about this before. I have added your links to my post mentioned above. It may be that the antibiotics we took over the years messes our gut up and in the long run doesn't really deal with the rosacea in the long term. I have noticed that increasing plain yogurt and taking acidophilus capsules daily seems to help my skin. I think that future studies will show that taking antibiotics, whether low dose or not, simply is a short term solution for severe rosacea and that long term treatment for rosacea should preclude antibiotics in favor of other prescriptions or alternatives such as a healthy diet high in protein and non prescription topicals.
                      Brady Barrows
                      Blog - Join the RRDi


                      Comment


                      • Rifaximin

                        I suffered rosacea, mainly on my forehead and occasionally on my cheeks, for a couple of years and typically it would come and go. I live between Estonia and the UK so I had a go with my GPs in both countries.

                        My Estonian GP insisted that the link with the gut was quite logical but rifaximin was not on her list of prescribable drugs. However she offered to refer me to a dermatologist with the warning that rifaximin would not be on his list either. So forget that. I then visited my GP in Scotland who was interested in the alternative therapy idea but asked me to try his standard treatment first - oxytetracycline! I saw some good results with the oxy in the first couple of weeks and I was ready to be converted but it was just the cyclical nature of my rosacea and within a very short time I had a new episode so scrap that.

                        I found a website called Goldpharma and they were offering a brand of rifaximin known as Rifacol. I purchased enough for 12 days and started the course in the spring of 2010. There were no immediate results but by the end of the 12 days my rosacea had receded and it did not come back for almost 10 months. So I purchased a second 12-day course in 2011 and had the same great results again.

                        I am now seeing the very early sign of rosacea again so I am going online right now to order my 2012 course. Again that is 10 months so there seems to be the basis of a pattern here.

                        I have recommended rifaximin therapy to two other sufferers. One ordered the tablets and saw success while the second hasn't plucked up the courage yet.

                        I am a convert and I will happily declare that I have found a new lease of life with rifaximin.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by philfaebuckie View Post
                          I suffered rosacea, mainly on my forehead and occasionally on my cheeks, for a couple of years and typically it would come and go. I live between Estonia and the UK so I had a go with my GPs in both countries.

                          My Estonian GP insisted that the link with the gut was quite logical but rifaximin was not on her list of prescribable drugs. However she offered to refer me to a dermatologist with the warning that rifaximin would not be on his list either. So forget that. I then visited my GP in Scotland who was interested in the alternative therapy idea but asked me to try his standard treatment first - oxytetracycline! I saw some good results with the oxy in the first couple of weeks and I was ready to be converted but it was just the cyclical nature of my rosacea and within a very short time I had a new episode so scrap that.

                          I found a website called Goldpharma and they were offering a brand of rifaximin known as Rifacol. I purchased enough for 12 days and started the course in the spring of 2010. There were no immediate results but by the end of the 12 days my rosacea had receded and it did not come back for almost 10 months. So I purchased a second 12-day course in 2011 and had the same great results again.

                          I am now seeing the very early sign of rosacea again so I am going online right now to order my 2012 course. Again that is 10 months so there seems to be the basis of a pattern here.

                          I have recommended rifaximin therapy to two other sufferers. One ordered the tablets and saw success while the second hasn't plucked up the courage yet.

                          I am a convert and I will happily declare that I have found a new lease of life with rifaximin.
                          Did you try a probiotic supplement to replenish your beneficial flora, and maybe avoid the rifaximin in the future?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MasK View Post
                            Did you try a probiotic supplement to replenish your beneficial flora, and maybe avoid the rifaximin in the future?

                            How many billions of a probiotic is safe to take daily? i know MasK takes 100 Billion per day. I am wondering if taking a lot more would be beneficial.
                            Doug

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
                              How many billions of a probiotic is safe to take daily? i know MasK takes 100 Billion per day. I am wondering if taking a lot more would be beneficial.
                              Look at this product:
                              http://www.vsl3.com/

                              450 billion !!!

                              A bit on the expensive side... but when I can afford it I do.

                              Another good product Im aware of but havent bought myself:
                              http://www.udoschoice.co.uk/udos_choice_probiotic_range
                              Cindy

                              Comment


                              • How is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth treated?[/

                                Found this online and thought was interesting.


                                How is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth treated?

                                "Classic" SIBO

                                SIBO has been recognized for many years as a problem with severe disorders of intestinal muscles and intestinal obstruction. The treatment has been antibiotics, and they are very effective. The difficulty is that the disease causing the SIBO often cannot be corrected. As a result, symptoms frequently return when antibiotics are stopped, and it may be necessary to treat the patient with antibiotics repeatedly or even continuously.
                                Doug

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X