This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Talula View Post
    I've suffered from rosacea for 15 years. The last 4 have been horrible with a full face of p/p exacerbated by pregnancy.

I've done all the Rx topicals, oral antibiotics, oracea, and low dose accutane. The latter helped for a while but recently the p/p started to come back and I decided to go to yet another derm.

I brought the studies on SIBO with me to this appointment as I was desperate. He wouldn't prescribed the riflaxin (?) antibiotic for me but did give me a Rx for metronidazole (p.o.). One of the studies showed improvement with metro when riflaxin wasn't successful.

I've been taking 250mg BID for 2 weeks now and my p/p are gone (well there's 1). My face has not been this clear since before my pregnancies and I couldn't be happier. Accutane wasn't even this successful for me.

I am still pink, but for now I will take it.

I took my last dose of metro this AM and am curious how long it will last. I'll post and let you know.
    metronidazole is also used against H Pylori infections. I took it several years ago. Don't know if the rosacea got worse after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Talula View Post
      I've suffered from rosacea for 15 years. The last 4 have been horrible with a full face of p/p exacerbated by pregnancy.

I've done all the Rx topicals, oral antibiotics, oracea, and low dose accutane. The latter helped for a while but recently the p/p started to come back and I decided to go to yet another derm.

I brought the studies on SIBO with me to this appointment as I was desperate. He wouldn't prescribed the riflaxin (?) antibiotic for me but did give me a Rx for metronidazole (p.o.). One of the studies showed improvement with metro when riflaxin wasn't successful.

I've been taking 250mg BID for 2 weeks now and my p/p are gone (well there's 1). My face has not been this clear since before my pregnancies and I couldn't be happier. Accutane wasn't even this successful for me.

I am still pink, but for now I will take it.

I took my last dose of metro this AM and am curious how long it will last. I'll post and let you know.
      Congratulations, Talula! So glad metronidazole is working for you!

Interesting thing about metronidazole is it is effective against at least three of the treatable causes of rosacea: demodex, helicobacter pylori, and methane producing SIBO.

Under the supervision of a gastroenterologist I work with, I started on a hefty dose of metronidazole last week: 500 mg po tid. This is the usual dose for methane producing SIBO (I had already failed to improve on rifaximin 400mg tid x 10 days).

My rosacea is primarily p&ps with frequent flushing and burning.

Now, I have already tried a helluva lot of things: ivermectin pills, permethrine cream, eurax cream, high dose doxy (100mg bid), low dose doxy (Oracea), Finacea, sulfur creams, metrogel, clindagel. I've tried the Clear Skin Diet, the Anti-Inflammatory Zone diet, and the low gluts, ams, and sals diet. I'm on clonidine and remeron. High dose D3. High dose zinc. Multiple IPLs. Britebox RLT daily. You name, and I've probably tried it.

Within two days of starting metronidazole, I had clear skin, and it has stayed clear. This is literally the first time I've cleared since I developed rosacea last Spring. I still flush and I still have paresthesias, but those have decreased, too.

The plan is to continue metronidazole at 500 mg tid for a total of one month, then 500 mg bid for two weeks, then 500 mg once daily for two weeks.

No idea how long the benefits will last, but I have a feeling that unless the underlying causes are addressed, the improvement will be temporary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael_V View Post
        Congratulations, Talula! So glad metronidazole is working for you!

Interesting thing about metronidazole is it is effective against at least three of the treatable causes of rosacea: demodex, helicobacter pylori, and methane producing SIBO.

Under the supervision of a gastroenterologist I work with, I started on a hefty dose of metronidazole last week: 500 mg po tid. This is the usual dose for methane producing SIBO (I had already failed to improve on rifaximin 400mg tid x 10 days).

My rosacea is primarily p&ps with frequent flushing and burning.

Now, I have already tried a helluva lot of things: ivermectin pills, permethrine cream, eurax cream, high dose doxy (100mg bid), low dose doxy (Oracea), Finacea, sulfur creams, metrogel, clindagel. I've tried the Clear Skin Diet, the Anti-Inflammatory Zone diet, and the low gluts, ams, and sals diet. I'm on clonidine and remeron. High dose D3. High dose zinc. Multiple IPLs. Britebox RLT daily. You name, and I've probably tried it.

Within two days of starting metronidazole, I had clear skin, and it has stayed clear. This is literally the first time I've cleared since I developed rosacea last Spring. I still flush and I still have paresthesias, but those have decreased, too.

The plan is to continue metronidazole at 500 mg tid for a total of one month, then 500 mg bid for two weeks, then 500 mg once daily for two weeks.

No idea how long the benefits will last, but I have a feeling that unless the underlying causes are addressed, the improvement will be temporary.
        That's fantastic Michael! I am excited to go back to the derm (provided I am still in "remission") to show him not just the change in my appearance, but to also demonstrate how it certainly affects one emotionally. I had tears in my eyes explaining to him my current battle and thoughts and hopefully I will be all smiles when I see him again.

I do so hope this continues.

Comment

• Congrats!

Should I just bring in articles written by MDs about the effectiveness of doxy on a long-term basis? Obviously she would know this right?

Lol, maybe she doesn't? Wouldn't surprise me...

Comment

• Originally posted by college_senior View Post
            Congrats!

Should I just bring in articles written by MDs about the effectiveness of doxy on a long-term basis? Obviously she would know this right?

Lol, maybe she doesn't? Wouldn't surprise me...
            If you are having success with low dose doxycycline, there is no reason your physician should object to long-term therapy. An entire drug class (subantimicrobial antibiotics) has been established in support of this practice.

Comment

• Hi Michael,

That is indeed excellent news. You must be breathing an enormous sigh of relief!

I wondered if you have experienced any side effects from Metro? Aches, pains, fatigue etc. Digestive?

Additionally, has it made you sensitive to light?

I had a short course in my twenties for a different reason and was warned about going outside without sunblock. I can't recall any problems, but I am sure things would be different now.

If my high dose vitamin D regime fails to completely resolve my rosacea, I would like a backup plan. Or maybe even do the two together. Now my immune system is functioning much better, perhaps it could retain any benefits additional medicine might offer?
              I had tried to get Rifaximin here but it isn't available. The pharmacist suggested metro, but as yet I haven't done anything about it, mostly due to fear of light sensitivity and activating melasma again. I have battled melasma for years and while it is barely noticeable now, it was extremely disfiguring for many years. I hesitate to do anything which might reignite that!

Which wavelengths cause the possible light sensitivity while on metro?
              For instance, do you still use your RLT unit?

I was considering some test areas of IPL at some point as I can't see my visible capillaries resolving by themselves and needless to say, if metro might cause unwanted IPL side effects, I would have to plan very carefully.

I would appreciate your advice and thoughts on the above.

Finally, what dose of D3 are you taking and for how long?

Thanks!
              Previous Numerous IPL.
              Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
              Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
              Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
              Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

• Mistica,

My relief is tentative at best. I look fairly normal right now, even got some approving looks from a couple of ladies today, which hasn't happened in some time, but I'm not out of the woods by any means. I still flush and burn a lot and am waiting for the p&ps to rear their ugly heads again if I can't get ahold of the undelying abnormality.

While you should certainly discuss your concerns with your doctor, photosensitivty is not a common side effect with metronidazole. That is more associated with the tetracyclines. So, no, it shouldn't affect your ability to undergo IPL or RLT. I'm still doing the latter twice daily.

On the other hand, alcohol is a big no no while on metronidazole. In fact, yeasty things in general are best avoided as they can lead to flushing reactions, even in normals.

Comment

• Michael, what are your considerations, about how long you intend to stay on the metro? I have in the past experienced an improvement upon beginning an antibiotic (when, I have theorized, it is killing off the bad guys) only to find that, after a certain time, staying on it actually undoes these effects. (I think that different micro-organisms are differentially affected).

See what I'm saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mistica View Post
                    Hi Michael,

That is indeed excellent news. You must be breathing an enormous sigh of relief!

I wondered if you have experienced any side effects from Metro? Aches, pains, fatigue etc. Digestive?

Additionally, has it made you sensitive to light?
                    While not Michael, I thought I'd butt in with my recent experience.

I started experiencing daily headaches around day 10 and I'm not a headache-getting-kinda gal. So I took my last dose on day 14 and the headaches have disappeared. Headache is a minor side effect per web MD.

I live in New England and it's too cold right now for me to frolic outside much to judge my sensitivity. I do know while on accutane, I was a walking kindling box unless I had on sunscreen.

I actually wore makeup yesterday and looked normal. Usually makeup looks horrible on me. I keep staring at myself in the mirror and smiling! The only recent time I looked any better was when I was on prednisone for the flu. My face cleared up and was a normal colour. That was a pleasant couple of days until rebound kicked in and I was a big ol p/p mess again.

I shoudl add that since I stopped the metro po a couple of days ago, I am using finacea bid and oracea qd.

Al fingers and toes crossed!

Comment

• All, it has been twelve days so far and my face is clear, smooth, and pale. No side effects so far and definitely no photosensitivity (which would have surprised me).

Yes, MediumDog, these results are likely to be temporary unless I
                      can correct whatever else was predisposing me
                      to this condition (apart from those damned genetics!).

This is a topic for another thread, but I strongly believe the definition for "rosacea" is far too blunt an instrument to be anything but passsingly useful. I mean, it is defined solely by how we look to the naked eye. This one is red. This one has bumps. Give me a break. It's like calling all the arthritidites "puffy joint disease" rather than breaking them down into rheumatoid, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, CPPD, Reiter's syndrome and so on. I'm sure when looked at immunohistochemically, "rosacea" will prove to be as many headed.

Having said that, I believe the causes (and their treatments) will be similarlly medusean, so I will have to identify and address everything if I'm going to successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMediumDog View Post
                        Michael, what are your considerations, about how long you intend to stay on the metro? I have in the past experienced an improvement upon beginning an antibiotic (when, I have theorized, it is killing off the bad guys) only to find that, after a certain time, staying on it actually undoes these effects. (I think that different micro-organisms are differentially affected).

See what I'm saying.
                        An alternative explanation for this effect would be that different antibiotics interfere with different parts of the (complicated) inflammatory cascade. Inititial improvement occurs because a wrench has been thrown in the gears but there is an eventual return of symptoms as intermediates build up behind and eventually overflow the obstruction.

This is just a thought and not meant to be a denounciation of my position that "antibiotics as primarily anti-inflammatory drugs is bunkum."

Comment

• Michael,

After you have completed your Metro course, are you going to load up on probiotics several times per day to try and reestablish the foundations for a healthy gut flora, before the remnants of the old one return with a vengeance?
                          Previous Numerous IPL.
                          Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
                          Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
                          Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
                          Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

• Great to hear your progress Michael. As I said before, the oral Metro was one of the things that made my rosacea get into control (it stopped the small pustules to pop up in just a couple of days).

About the photosensitivity. Metronidazole is not known as making the body photosensitive. That is one reason that the doctors here would rather prescribe Metronidazole in the summer, than tetracyklines, that makes the body photosensitive. But take it easy with the sun anyway...=)

Comment

• SIBO rosacea link

Hi, i'm in London, United Kingdom and am really interested in what you guys are writing. I would be interested in and appreciative of your thoughts on my situation.

My summary (for context) - aged 30 (7 years ago) and with no history of skin problems whatsoever i suddenly developed flushing and soon afterwards strong rosacea. I controlled it with Roacctuane but wish i had never taken that drug. Very occasionally in the years afterwards my skin would be brilliant but generally 5/10 and prone to outbreaks with the usual triggers - sun, cold, hot baths, alcohol, hot food etc.

About a year ago i discovered a cleanser and a cream from The Jamu Shop (in China) and they were brilliant, i thought i'd found my answer and have been using them religiously ever since. As time has gone on they have decreased in effectiveness.

Towards the end of last year and through Christmas 2009 my skin was been getting bad again. I went on a very mild beta blocker which immediately cured my overall redness and flushing - great! The Jamu Shop released a new product - a "mask" that you leave on for 10 minutes and now i have come out in the worst Rosacea for years - not great! So my flushing has subsided but the old problem of patches, spots, lumps is back.

Since Christmas i have also been trying the "Eat RIght for your Blood Type Diet" and I am a Type A Antibody Negative Blood Group - apparently we have a low stomach acid. Have been sticking to it religiously - fish, fruit, veg and avoiding meat, lager etc. Have felt really well on the diet and energized.

I can't work out if the latest outbreak (which was literally overnight - it is so wierd and the worst for years) it is the "mask" and perhaps too much touching of skin, the beta blockers, the diet or..........? My doc has put me on Doxycycline and i am trying to get the SIBO Breath Test but nowhere seems to do it in the UK.

I thought i'd put the worst behind me but now it looks like it is back and this is really getting me down and would greatly appreciate some help and support.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by denbigh View Post
                                Hi, i'm in London, United Kingdom and am really interested in what you guys are writing. I would be interested in and appreciative of your thoughts on my situation.

My summary (for context) - aged 30 (7 years ago) and with no history of skin problems whatsoever i suddenly developed flushing and soon afterwards strong rosacea. I controlled it with Roacctuane but wish i had never taken that drug. Very occasionally in the years afterwards my skin would be brilliant but generally 5/10 and prone to outbreaks with the usual triggers - sun, cold, hot baths, alcohol, hot food etc.

About a year ago i discovered a cleanser and a cream from The Jamu Shop (in China) and they were brilliant, i thought i'd found my answer and have been using them religiously ever since. As time has gone on they have decreased in effectiveness.

Towards the end of last year and through Christmas 2009 my skin was been getting bad again. I went on a very mild beta blocker which immediately cured my overall redness and flushing - great! The Jamu Shop released a new product - a "mask" that you leave on for 10 minutes and now i have come out in the worst Rosacea for years - not great! So my flushing has subsided but the old problem of patches, spots, lumps is back.

Since Christmas i have also been trying the "Eat RIght for your Blood Type Diet" and I am a Type A Antibody Negative Blood Group - apparently we have a low stomach acid. Have been sticking to it religiously - fish, fruit, veg and avoiding meat, lager etc. Have felt really well on the diet and energized.

I can't work out if the latest outbreak (which was literally overnight - it is so wierd and the worst for years) it is the "mask" and perhaps too much touching of skin, the beta blockers, the diet or..........? My doc has put me on Doxycycline and i am trying to get the SIBO Breath Test but nowhere seems to do it in the UK.

I thought i'd put the worst behind me but now it looks like it is back and this is really getting me down and would greatly appreciate some help and support.

Thanks
                                I'm sure the hospitals in UK do the test. It's just a test with two sugars that you ingest, then a breath test. Sometimes, they call it "Hydrogen breath test". Ask a gastroenterologist.

Comment

Working...
                                X