This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi -

I totally feel my Rosacea flares when I have digestion/GI/food allergy issues. The better I eat (since I have a sensitivity to gluten) and the more my GI is healthy, the more clearer my face. Supplements have helped a little bit too - especially turmeric, grape seed, zinc, pycnogenol, a few antifungals, probiotics.... I exercise regularly for overall health and rejuvenation. I don't eat junk food much, but junk food and acid reflux/GI issues = skin flares for me.

I also believe that some of us prone to papules/pustules have an over abundance of mites in our skin. This also causes flares. My two cents.

Regards,

Yvette

Comment

• So is there any update on if this stuff (rifaxim..or something) actually working? Seems only one person tried it and it didnt help. But the paragraph from wikipiedia sounds to good to be trued - 97% success in eliminating rosacea.

Comment

• An update:

I was not able to find rifaximin where I live so I went back to my doctor and was prescribed flagyl (500mg 3x per day) and levaquin (500mg 1x per day), as well as 10% crotamiton cream for my face (twice per day). Take a look at the following article and google "Demodex dermatitis" for research studies on this condition:

Dedicated to providing health care professionals with the trusted information, resources and education they need to optimize patient outcomes and improve care.

Here's my thinking regarding my own situation: A gluten (and dairy) intolerance led to SIBO, which led to a lot of other problems including a demodex infestation on my face that my body wasn't able to fight off.

I've cut gluten out of my diet for the past 3-4 months, which made things better, but did not fix the issue as I expected. I also tried using diluted tea tree oil on my skin; this didn't really do anything for me.

I went to my doctor and asked for flagyl AND levaquin so that I could attempt to eradicate all of the bacteria (good or "bad") and then start supplementing with probiotics.

I've been on antibiotics and using the crotamiton cream for a week now and I can tell you that I'm seeing very strong results; it's also drained me of a lot of energy, unfortunately. I was asked this morning if I was "doing okay" because I looked so pale. I looked in the mirror and honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. The pores on my face have shrunk, my skin is COLD and unbelievably soft/smooth to the touch, the oil on my face has largely disappeared, I have no P&Ps whatsoever, and the permanent redness is down dramatically (leaving behind quite a few noticeable broken blood vessels around my nostrils and under my eyes). Contrast that to how it used to be: oily, flaky, warm, and permanently red.

I've got another 2 weeks of antibiotics and lots of crotamiton cream left to use, but I wanted to share this with you guys because the results are truly amazing.

Comment

• This wouldn't be complete without pictures, either.

I took these in the dark to really show you the contrast. My skin looks the absolute worst in this lighting, which is why I'm using it.

This is before antibiotics/crotamiton:

This is 7 days later:

Comment

• Wow!

Comment

• but are those medications you're on absorbed by the intestines? Cause didnt they say only rifaximin isnt absorbed, so its the only one that would get rid of SIBO?

Comment

• Originally posted by thatguy View Post

Dedicated to providing health care professionals with the trusted information, resources and education they need to optimize patient outcomes and improve care.

It was interesting to read what the doc had to say, but am I misunderstanding the photos in that article? A, B and C, and C is supposed to show a 100% clearence?

Comment

• Originally posted by EK1 View Post
                  but are those medications you're on absorbed by the intestines? Cause didnt they say only rifaximin isnt absorbed, so its the only one that would get rid of SIBO?
                  I don't know. I believe Pimentel recommended flagyl together with levaquin as an alternative for treating SIBO.

Originally posted by Snegovik View Post
                  It was interesting to read what the doc had to say, but am I misunderstanding the photos in that article? A, B and C, and C is supposed to show a 100% clearence?
                  Yeah, I couldn't really figure that out either. Her face is still really red, but maybe she just has a large number of broken blood vessels? You can tell that her P&Ps are completely gone.

One thing I noticed is that my tongue is coated now. It's kind of gross.

Comment

• Who is Pimentel, your derm or? If he has any articles, id love to read them.
                    Were you tested for SIBO first before starting treatment? Also, could it be you improved from the cream (demodex) rather than the antibiotics (SIBO)? Cause you are doing both at once.

I will bring up SIBO with my derm tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by EK1 View Post
                      Who is Pimentel, your derm or? If he has any articles, id love to read them.
                      Were you tested for SIBO first before starting treatment? Also, could it be you improved from the cream (demodex) rather than the antibiotics (SIBO)? Cause you are doing both at once.

I will bring up SIBO with my derm tomorrow and see what he has to say.
                      Pimentel is this guy:

It's possible that I'm improving from the cream and not antibiotics. If you don't have any issues with your gut, maybe try the cream.

Edit: I wasn't tested for SIBO. I cut gluten out of my diet but was still having issues, so I figured it must be SIBO.

Comment

• I have been taking 1200 mg Rifaximin for 8 days now, and will finish in 2 days. I can not say I felt any radical changes. But maybe a bit less oil, and a bit less redness. I also felt some relief for my ocular problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatguy View Post
                          Pimentel is this guy:

It's possible that I'm improving from the cream and not antibiotics. If you don't have any issues with your gut, maybe try the cream.

Edit: I wasn't tested for SIBO. I cut gluten out of my diet but was still having issues, so I figured it must be SIBO.
                          I would mlove to see your results after another 14 days. Cause your skin looked pretty much like mine to tell from your pictures. But mine is dry and flaky, tho, when i dont use moist.

Comment

• SIBO treatment

Hello
                            I found this article on the net about treating SIBO. Thought someone might find it helpful.

Regards
                            Queta
                            "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Well i'm seeing my family doc on Friday and will be asking her to get me referred to someone who can do the breath test for SIBO. Hopefully someone around here does it and when i do it, i'll update with my results.

Comment

• My rosacea has been gone for a while now .. Maybve the rifaximin has worked in a delayed fashion?

I am also on Warrior diet (Ori hofmekler) which means I only eat in the afternoon. The best
                                I ever did for my health in general. I used to have white coating on my tongue but that has gone away too. According to Auyeveda tongue-coating is a sign that the digestive power has been weakened.

Good luck with trying rifaxmin and getting rid of rosacea, I have no doubt the disease is something that goes on in the digestive system.

Comment

Working...
                                X