Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you guys are nuts buying med's from the internet. Is it not dangerous experimenting with meds. without being under medical supervision? (Mind you that's rich coming from me when I'm convinced that the NHS where trying to kill me with some of the things I've been prescribed). I don't know how it works in the States but can you not get proper prescriptions for these types of meds.. through your Doctor?

What you also have to remember with a condition like SIBO is that it is not a one off treatment and cure for life.

I was on Fluconazole off and on for oral thrush problems years back, (caused by bacterial gut imbalance, similar thing). A month after the treatment stopped it was back again. The underlying issues of either diet, another underlying medical condition causing the overgrowth or perhaps even simply hormone ups and downs, (there can be a host of reasons), need to be addressed or you could end up doing the treatment only for the gut to imbalance again in the future. That's what kept happening to me.

Comment

• Just yesterday I got a letter from the Ministry of Health that I can legally purchase Rifaxmin and import it for my own personal use, as long as it shipped from inside EU. Wow, great!

Comment

• Update

Well it's been a couple of months and my rosacea is much better, I found it near impossible to cut out all carbs so I have compromised and had small amounts. I have cut sugar and all junk food out of my diet all-together and I believe it's this action that has produced the best results. My brother and I have pizza on Saturday evenings and without fail I would have a flareup by Tuesday. As soon as I stopped eating pizza and other bad foods, the flareups stopped. If SIBO is truly responsible, cutting these foods combined with probiotics has helped combat and starve the little buggers. It's not gone completely but it's barely noticeable now.

So fingers crossed it'll stay like this if not get even better.

Comment

• Originally posted by pca_ View Post
          Just yesterday I got a letter from the Ministry of Health that I can legally purchase Rifaxmin and import it for my own personal use, as long as it shipped from inside EU. Wow, great!
          Hi PCA,
          Did you manage to get the Rifaximin ? if so, how are you doing on it

MD

Comment

Just yesterday I got a letter from the Ministry of Health that I can legally purchase Rifaxmin and import it for my own personal use, as long as it shipped from inside EU. Wow, great!
            Hi Pca,
            bumping this post, did you manage to get and try Rifaximin ?

MD

Comment

• Hi mirradodga, yes I got the rifaxmin in shape of a product called Rifacol, they come in 200 mg tablets. I did not take them for awhile, but in fact began today. I have enough to take 2 x 200 mg three times daily for 10 days, just like in the study.

If you read the study close you can see that only about half of the rosacea patients check positive with sibo and only those are improved by the rifaxmin treatment. So a rule of thumb is that if constipation and other digestive problems coexist with rosacea, then rifaxmin may be an appropiate treatment.

I will let you know here what happens for me the next 10 days. Chris

Originally posted by mirradodga View Post
              Hi Pca,
              bumping this post, did you manage to get and try Rifaximin ?

MD

Comment

Hi mirradodga, yes I got the rifaxmin in shape of a product called Rifacol, they come in 200 mg tablets. I did not take them for awhile, but in fact began today. I have enough to take 2 x 200 mg three times daily for 10 days, just like in the study.

If you read the study close you can see that only about half of the rosacea patients check positive with sibo and only those are improved by the rifaxmin treatment. So a rule of thumb is that if constipation and other digestive problems coexist with rosacea, then rifaxmin may be an appropiate treatment.

I will let you know here what happens for me the next 10 days. Chris
                Hi PCA,
                Thanks for your reply. I have a couple of questions if that is OK.
                1- I do not know your history ( you may well have answered this already ) but do you have digestive problems, i.e bloating/discomfort/diarrhea,undigested food when going to the toilet etc. If yes, you obviously feel this is linked to your skin problems which I can fully understand. I feel the same
                2- Where did you purchase the rifacol and how much was it. Most of the sites I have looked at for Rifaximin you need a doctor's prescription, however it is unlicensed in the UK so I have no chance of my DR prescribing it for me.

I look forward to hearing how you got on with the tablets and wish you success.

MD

Comment

• Broker in chemical precursors and active pharmaceutical ingredients.

Search for rifaximin

It is also unlicensed in the DK, but I got a reply from the ministry of health that I could import it from EU
                  legally for my own use. The site I mentioned is a european pharmacy network.

The price for rifaximin went up since I last visited there and one brand is sold out. Maybe other people reading this forum is trying it out. It is still much much cheaper than the US sites where rifaximin is obscenely expensive. I think it is an italian patent.

Originally posted by mirradodga View Post
                  Hi PCA,
                  Thanks for your reply. I have a couple of questions if that is OK.
                  1- I do not know your history ( you may well have answered this already ) but do you have digestive problems, i.e bloating/discomfort/diarrhea,undigested food when going to the toilet etc. If yes, you obviously feel this is linked to your skin problems which I can fully understand. I feel the same
                  2- Where did you purchase the rifacol and how much was it. Most of the sites I have looked at for Rifaximin you need a doctor's prescription, however it is unlicensed in the UK so I have no chance of my DR prescribing it for me.

I look forward to hearing how you got on with the tablets and wish you success.

MD

Comment

• Any updates on this?

Comment

• I cant really say that Rifaximin has helped me.

I have some mild permanent redness I had hoped would go away.

Since my case of rosacea is pretty mild (it used to be much worse), perhaps I am not
                      a good test subject.

Comment

• I'm wondering if anyone from the UK managed to import this? I tried to get it from my doc but he said it's not available in the UK. Goldpharma said they wont send to me unless I have import permission. Does anyone know how you go about getting permission?

HM

Comment

• Originally posted by Marki View Post
                          Well it's been a couple of months and my rosacea is much better, I found it near impossible to cut out all carbs so I have compromised and had small amounts. I have cut sugar and all junk food out of my diet all-together and I believe it's this action that has produced the best results. My brother and I have pizza on Saturday evenings and without fail I would have a flareup by Tuesday. As soon as I stopped eating pizza and other bad foods, the flareups stopped. If SIBO is truly responsible, cutting these foods combined with probiotics has helped combat and starve the little buggers. It's not gone completely but it's barely noticeable now.

So fingers crossed it'll stay like this if not get even better.
                          Hey all:
                          For me anyway I am firmly convinced that my rosacea is directly linked to my digestion and that I probably have SIBO. With that in mind, I began taking kefir (which is well known for promoting the "good bacteria" in the gut.) Well, I am happy to report that after drinking coconut kefir water three-four times per day (2 ounces each time) for about a month I am starting to see more progress in my condition. My skin is clearer and less swollen overall. My eyes are brighter and I just look healthier. I am hoping that this continues. I still am taking quercetin/bromelain before meals two times a day but I have backed off from that a little. I am hoping that eventually I can stop taking the quer/brom because I have read that it can lead to joint pain. I am also strict with my diet (no alcohol, dairy, gluten, sugar, or citrus fruits.) I do drink diet Coke (I am an addict) and eat potato chips, french fries, red meat, etc. Anyway, it does appear that the kefir is helping my overall health and rosacea. The downside is that it is expensive to buy kefir water already made. There are ways to make it at home; next month I would like to try that to save me some money. Just wanted to post this if anyone else is interested in trying adding kefir. It 's easier to obtain that getting a script and is something you can use for a long time, unlike anti-biotics. I have taken probiotics for years and years (and expensive ones, too) but this kefir stuff is da bomb! If you are going to try it, I would suggest a non-dairy source but I know that not everyone reacts to dairy the way I do, so maybe it will work for you anyway.
                          Regards
                          Queta
                          "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Hi Queta,

I'm glad to hear it is working so well for you!

Best wishes,
                            Melissa

Comment

• So whats the latest on this stuff? Wondering if i should even bother bringing it up to my derm.

Comment

• EK1,

I am on my 3th day, taking 1200 mg rifaximin a day. Will get back to you when I am done next week. I got the meds from Hungary, and only have enough for the 10 days, as in the studies. If I need more, it will take some time to get.

So far I can not say I felt much difference, other than that my stommach feels hard. When I go to the toilet doing number 2, I feel like I am having a baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X