Metronidazole and Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronidazole and Coronavirus

Another familiar drug used to treat rosacea is now being considered in the treatment for coronavirus. The RRDi will be following this announcement about this subject in this post.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 7 April 2020, 06:25 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Another familiar drug used to treat rosacea is now being considered in the treatment for coronavirus. The RRDi will be following this announcement about this subject in this post.
    I wonder if they have considered using Oral Metronnidazole in combination with Oral Ivermectin as for the highly effective 2 week oral treatment for demodetic Rosacea (aka Demodicosis)?
    Oral Ivermectin alone and Oral Metronidazole alone can be effective in treating demodex parasite infestations. But together they work even better. And based on the demodex medical treatment study, the drugs are safe when given together. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X

Oral Ivermectin is also being investigated to treat COVID-19. Its interesting that anti-parasitic drugs are showing promise against fighting this potentially deadly virus.

Both Oral Metronidazole (Flagyll) and Oral Ivermectin are existing drugs and both available as cheap generics. Both are on the WHO's list of Essential Medicines due to their ability to treat parasitic infections. That list of Essential Drugs is intended to be made indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineA View Post
      I wonder if they have considered using Oral Metronnidazole in combination with Oral Ivermectin as for the highly effective 2 week oral treatment for demodetic Rosacea (aka Demodicosis)?
      Oral Ivermectin alone and Oral Metronidazole alone can be effective in treating demodex parasite infestations. But together they work even better. And based on the demodex medical treatment study, the drugs are safe when given together. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X
      Oral Ivermectin is also being investigated to treat COVID-19. Its interesting that anti-parasitic drugs are showing promise against fighting this potentially deadly virus.
      Both Oral Metronidazole (Flagyll) and Oral Ivermectin are existing drugs and both available as cheap generics. Both are on the WHO's list of Essential Medicines due to their ability to treat parasitic infections. That list of Essential Drugs is intended to be made indefinitely.
      Virus has never, ever been ruled out as a cause of rosacea. For over a hundred years medical science in the West has concentrated on bacteria. The Ukrainians, Russians and Eastern countries concentrated more on bacteriophage, a virus, as an antibiotic than the West did. Since HIV Western medicine has given a lot more attention to virus studies and the result has been more antiviral treatments. But when it comes to rosacea there is such a lack of interest in studying whether virus has anything to do with rosacea, and who would fund such a study? For more information click here.

An overlooked fact is that virus in the human body comprises more weight than bacteria by a factor of ten times.
      Last edited by Brady Barrows; 8 April 2020, 12:46 PM.
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

I firmly believe that rosacea can be viral for some people, if not for all, and that demodex can be the virus? carrier. That would explain why antibiotics don?t cure it, they just reduce the inflammation for as long as we take them. Antibiotics are being used to treat coronavirus not because they kill it, but because of their anti inflammatory properties and to prevent bacterial co-infections.
        Human skin can be affected by viruses, a major example is the shingles. The downside of testing for viruses is that to find a virus, you have to search for that specific virus with a specific PCR for that single virus, while searching for bacteria is much simpler, the tissue is cultivated and any bacteria are visible under the microscope. A virus isn?t visible under the microscope and clinical doctors aren?t so familiar with PCR testings. Plus, PCRs are costly.
        When my rosacea started, I used a strong chemical peeling cream, as I didn?t know yet what was happening. After 3 overnight uses, my skin was stripped of many layers and I saw tiny deeply located liquid oozing lesions, very similar to shingles lesions. I actually thought that it was the shingles, but Zovirax didn?t help me at all. There was a member on this forum who wrote that Zovirax cured him, so either he had different skin condition, not rosacea, or his rosacea responded to that particular antiviral because a susceptible virus was the culprit.
        Finally, I think that tea tree oil and other essential oils help, because they are also antiviral, not only antibacterial and antidemodex substances.
        If there is anyone who reads it and has access to any researcher, please, pass it on. Viral involvement in rosacea shouldn?t be overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by MariaSt View Post
          I firmly believe that rosacea can be viral for some people, if not for all, and that demodex can be the virus? carrier. That would explain why antibiotics don?t cure it, they just reduce the inflammation for as long as we take them. Antibiotics are being used to treat coronavirus not because they kill it, but because of their anti inflammatory properties and to prevent bacterial co-infections.
          Human skin can be affected by viruses, a major example is the shingles. The downside of testing for viruses is that to find a virus, you have to search for that specific virus with a specific PCR for that single virus, while searching for bacteria is much simpler, the tissue is cultivated and any bacteria are visible under the microscope. A virus isn?t visible under the microscope and clinical doctors aren?t so familiar with PCR testings. Plus, PCRs are costly.
          When my rosacea started, I used a strong chemical peeling cream, as I didn?t know yet what was happening. After 3 overnight uses, my skin was stripped of many layers and I saw tiny deeply located liquid oozing lesions, very similar to shingles lesions. I actually thought that it was the shingles, but Zovirax didn?t help me at all. There was a member on this forum who wrote that Zovirax cured him, so either he had different skin condition, not rosacea, or his rosacea responded to that particular antiviral because a susceptible virus was the culprit.
          Finally, I think that tea tree oil and other essential oils help, because they are also antiviral, not only antibacterial and antidemodex substances.
          If there is anyone who reads it and has access to any researcher, please, pass it on. Viral involvement in rosacea shouldn?t be overlooked.
          MariaSt,
          I have been beating the drum for over seventeen years that rosaceans should come together and support their own independent research. It can be done, David Pascoe who owns this forum gathered rosaceans together and raised $16K to fund research back in 2005. TEA sponsors their own research independent of the skin industry. So it can be done. Wouldn't it be novel for rosaceans to get together and find 10K rosaceans who each donated one dollar and sponsored some researcher to investigate virus and rosacea?

By the way, did you know a recent paper associated fungus and demodex mites?

I don't doubt that virus may somehow be implicated with rosacea. As to virus being so tiny one analogy is if the human cell was the size of a baseball stadium, a virus would be the size of the baseball. So Just How Tiny Is a Virus? By Stuart Fox

Another one is "Viruses are usually 20 to 300 nm. That is as tiny as we- an average human being are to the Earth." How tiny is tiny?, Neha Patil, The University of Melbourne

It is truly remarkable that researchers were able to make vaccines for the coronavirus in such a record amount of time considering how difficult it is to 'view' virus. I am not familiar with the PCR test so I googled it and there sure is a lot to know and understand. My search reveals that there are at least two 'PCR's, Real-time polymerase chain reaction also known as quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR) and Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). I googled how much it costs and this paper gives you an idea of the costs associated with PCRs. From this, even if we got 10K rosaceans together, and everyone agreed we should research virus and rosacea, which would be a miracle in itself, and each donated one dollar, another incredible miracle, $10K wouldn't go very far in researching this subject. Looks like the skin industry will continue to be the sponsors of most of the research being done on rosacea. Watch my video on this subject.
          Brady Barrows
          Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

I am in my fifties, background of no skin sensitivity issues at all, not even spots or acne in my teens. A couple of weeks into the first UK lockdown, I woke up with cystic lumps of what I thought was acne on my chin, followed by spots & pustules around my mouth, which seemed to be perioral dermatitis/ Rosacea. I couldn't understand why my skin would be itchy without anything being there - then a few miniscule white spots would appear from nowhere - without ANY inflammation and then some of them would stay and become increasingly inflamed. I have also had constant mild (fungal, I think) swimmers ear and small creamy coloured lumpy ridges on my scalp, that were sore if picked off hard.

Trying to keep it short as possible, now roll on two months of Lymecycline ( and soolantra/ivermectin) the spots in the perioral area have gone. However, now I am devastated to have constant light flushing, sometimes burning, photosensitivity and the odd spot starting to creep up my face.

Alongside other possible causes, I have been thinking about lingering viral cells or immune damage caused by covid 19 that I may have had without realising. 6 months previously, I had been very stressed and thought that was the cause of having tightness in my chest and feeling like I needed more air. I also had a terrible burning session around my chest on a couple of occasions; I thought I was going to have a heart attack if it continued, and a tight band around my guts. Coincidentally my 2 year old cat had chronic heart failure and fluid in the lungs at the same time.

My partner also developed on & off urticuria - hive like skin rashes on his body and really itchy palms, which is starting now after a year to be less frequent. This has been suggested as a possible covid symptom that can be had without any other noticeable effects.
            Last edited by Ave; 21 March 2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ave View Post
              I am in my fifties, background of no skin sensitivity issues at all, not even spots or acne in my teens. A couple of weeks into the first UK lockdown, I woke up with cystic lumps of what I thought was acne on my chin, followed by spots & pustules around my mouth, which seemed to be perioral dermatitis/ Rosacea. I couldn't understand why my skin would be itchy without anything being there - then a few miniscule white spots would appear from nowhere - without ANY inflammation and then some of them would stay and become increasingly inflamed. I have also had constant mild (fungal, I think) swimmers ear and small creamy coloured lumpy ridges on my scalp, that were sore if picked off hard.

Trying to keep it short as possible, now roll on two months of Lymecycline ( and soolantra/ivermectin) the spots in the perioral area have gone. However, now I am devastated to have constant light flushing, sometimes burning, photosensitivity and the odd spot starting to creep up my face.

Alongside other possible causes, I have been thinking about lingering viral cells or immune damage caused by covid 19 that I may have had without realising. 6 months previously, I had been very stressed and thought that was the cause of having tightness in my chest and feeling like I needed more air. I also had a terrible burning session around my chest on a couple of occasions; I thought I was going to have a heart attack if it continued, and a tight band around my guts. Coincidentally my 2 year old cat had chronic heart failure and fluid in the lungs at the same time.

My partner also developed on & off urticuria - hive like skin rashes on his body and really itchy palms, which is starting now after a year to be less frequent. This has been suggested as a possible covid symptom that can be had without any other noticeable effects.
              Have you been tested for Covid19? Are you taking oral metronidazole (see the title of this thread)? You said "may have had without realising. 6 months previously". Might be a good idea to be tested if you haven't already.

As you mentioned, all the symptoms you are describing are listed as possible symptoms/signs of Covid19.
              Last edited by Brady Barrows; 22 March 2021, 02:59 AM.
              Brady Barrows
              Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Working...
              X