Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turmeric polyherbal formulation helps a red face

Turmeric polyherbal formulation helps a red face

A paper just published in the Journal of Integrative Medicine has highlighted some preliminary research into the effectiveness of a Turmeric herbal formulation as a dietary supplement used to treat facial redness.

More specifically, the research found that “turmeric-containing polyherbal combination” did better than plain Turmeric and also placebo in reducing the red face of rosacea. If you have never heard of `turmeric polyherbal’ you have come to the right page, so read on.

[[...READ MORE...]]

Related Articles

Get Rosacea News here - https://rosacea-support.org

Originally posted by David Pascoe View Post
    Turmeric polyherbal formulation helps a red face

A paper just published in the Journal of Integrative Medicine has highlighted some preliminary research into the effectiveness of a Turmeric herbal formulation as a dietary supplement used to treat facial redness.

More specifically, the research found that “turmeric-containing polyherbal combination” did better than plain Turmeric and also placebo in reducing the red face of rosacea. If you have never heard of `turmeric polyherbal’ you have come to the right page, so read on.

[[...READ MORE...]]

Related Articles

A bit disappointing as it could be any part of the herbal combination that works.Seems strange that turmeric on its own made no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by red devil View Post
      A bit disappointing as it could be any part of the herbal combination that works.Seems strange that turmeric on its own made no difference.
      Agreed. It was a lot of effort to prove that it wasn't just the turmeric on its own. The bigger question of what is working here is still to be answered.
      Get Rosacea News here - https://rosacea-support.org

Comment

Originally posted by red devil View Post
        Agreed, there are a lot of different herbs in that product. I'm a bit wary of taking lots of herbs regularly after hearing about the problems some people had with safe-sounding products like green tea extract.

Comment

To bad it's out of stock everywhere. Do you know any site where it's still available at the moment?

Comment

That is one of the best remedies out there. I used to take turmeric for my liver issues, and it helped a ton. I got it as a recommendation from a functional medicine center that I was lucky to visit while I lived in Melbourne. I had weird symptoms all the time, including swelling and pain under my right rib cage, which were not addressed right by my appointed family doctor. I was able to get a full medical exam in Melbourne with a bunch of doctors who took the time to look deeper into my symptoms and not only give me generic antibiotics and pills for nothing.
            Last edited by NeizPirig; 3 June 2021, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralbihn View Post
              To bad it's out of stock everywhere. Do you know any site where it's still available at the moment?
              I know it has been a while since your question, but I found the pills here https://www.sattvic.com.au/products/...tified-organic just in case you still want to try them. If you already tried them, what was your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by MariaSt View Post
                I know it has been a while since your question, but I found the pills here https://www.sattvic.com.au/products/...tified-organic just in case you still want to try them. If you already tried them, what was your experience?
                I'm interested to try these. I have tried turmeric alone and don't think it helped really (though it may have helped with flushing alone but not redness etc) - I use Integrative Therapeutics turmeric, a good quality brand.

What I have found helpful is Integrative Therapeutics Similase GFCF before food - this really helps the body process carbohydrates and dairy better - as long as you don't eat large amounts, and reduce the effect on the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
                  I'm interested to try these. I have tried turmeric alone and don't think it helped really (though it may have helped with flushing alone but not redness etc) - I use Integrative Therapeutics turmeric, a good quality brand.

What I have found helpful is Integrative Therapeutics Similase GFCF before food - this really helps the body process carbohydrates and dairy better - as long as you don't eat large amounts, and reduce the effect on the skin.
                  I have been struggling with some serious GI issues for the last two years and I think that the ingredients in these supplements can really help with them, not only with the skin. I can?t eat dairy, red meat and sugar at all, they all make me sick. We always talked about leaky gut and skin connection. I wonder if demodex can cause systemic disease, not just rosacea. If demodex can make the dogs sick, why wouldn?t it make humans sick? I know that the doctors say no, but did they ever look for demodex in stomach biopsies?

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised it would help rosacea. I think if i remember right, it's a TRPV1 activator which is already overly active in rosacea subtypes. In theory it could desensitize this receptor over time. I tried turmeric (whatever brand) twice and each time i had to have constant wind on my face. Like it literally lowers heat tolerance. Too bad, bc it is so healthy for you, and i enjoyed it pre-rosacea as a spice!

edit - ok if it's not even attempting to isolate the ingredients that help vs the ingredients that could possibly make things worse..... I've found some things that are "very good" for you to worsen my rosacea like green tea and vitamin D. I take some "antioxidant things" like amla powder which hasn't made a difference on my face. I had a cytokine panel recently and all cytokines are systemically so low for me, and great bloodwork. Idk, I think of it more as a localized TLR2 - cathelicidin - Th1/Th17 - neurogenic inflammation bla bla problem, or a gut problem / demodex problem where antioxidants / traditional anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can only do so much.
                    Last edited by laser_cat; 4 June 2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
                      Wow, I'm surprised it would help rosacea. I think if i remember right, it's a TRPV1 activator which is already overly active in rosacea subtypes. In theory it could desensitize this receptor over time. I tried turmeric (whatever brand) twice and each time i had to have constant wind on my face. Like it literally lowers heat tolerance. Too bad, bc it is so healthy for you, and i enjoyed it pre-rosacea as a spice!

edit - ok if it's not even attempting to isolate the ingredients that help vs the ingredients that could possibly make things worse..... I've found some things that are "very good" for you to worsen my rosacea like green tea and vitamin D. I take some "antioxidant things" like amla powder which hasn't made a difference on my face. I had a cytokine panel recently and all cytokines are systemically so low for me, and great bloodwork. Idk, I think of it more as a localized TLR2 - cathelicidin - Th1/Th17 - neurogenic inflammation bla bla problem, or a gut problem / demodex problem where antioxidants / traditional anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can only do so much.
                      Gosh this is very surprising. 'Your cytokine panel showed low levels'. I would have expected an elevated IL-6 at least. That is often elevated in chronic disease including rosacea. (With that said, I can't recall if the studies showed a systemic increase or localised).
                      I wonder what it means in your case? Did your physicians offer any explanation? Have the medications you have taken, or are currently taking lowered these, do you think?
                      I believe Metronizadole does.
                      Will you be having further investigations?

Which ones did you have tested if I may ask?

We can't have them tested where I live.

I am actually rather confused about the interpretation of cytokine tests as based on what I understand, some can be both pro and anti-inflammatory depending on circumstances.
                      Did your physician happen to explain the ins and outs of interpretation?
                      I am rather interested in this topic.

Here is a study describing the dual action of IL-6, which I imagine you may have already seen.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21296109/

I am sorry you are still having a major battle with your flushing.

I have gone downhill myself. Not back to your state, thank goodness, but enough to distress me and further disrupt my life.

Turmeric is a flush inducer for me too.

Quercetin at 400mg per day isn't although there was a brief adjustment period where it caused a headache and some minor superficial redness.
                      Previous Numerous IPL.
                      Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
                      Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
                      Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
                      Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mistica View Post
                        Gosh this is very surprising. 'Your cytokine panel showed low levels'. I would have expected an elevated IL-6 at least. That is often elevated in chronic disease including rosacea. (With that said, I can't recall if the studies showed a systemic increase or localised).
                        I wonder what it means in your case? Did your physicians offer any explanation? Have the medications you have taken, or are currently taking lowered these, do you think?

I am actually rather confused about the interpretation of cytokine tests as based on what I understand, some can be both pro and anti-inflammatory depending on circumstances.

Here is a study describing the dual action of IL-6, which I imagine you may have already seen.

I have gone downhill myself. Not back to your state, thank goodness, but enough to distress me and further disrupt my life.

Quercetin at 400mg per day isn't although there was a brief adjustment period where it caused a headache and some minor superficial redness.
                        I'm sorry you have increased symptoms.

I had this https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-...rpretive/75139

So i think that is mainly the pro inflammatory cytokines - not sure. But the measurement is systemic. You're right (can't click on your article right now) that Il-17 and other cytokines are found to be increased in the face skin of rosacea. The cytokine panel was just to see if htere was any definite target (upper arms used to flush and neck), but a clear test would mean nothing (there is obviously inflammation in my face).

Yes, my doctor did mention that it was likely that my current anti-inflammatories are bringing down the numbers. I think even cymbalta lowers systemic cytokines Il-1B, TNF-alpha, Il-6.

My physician is willing to order a lymphoscintigraphy - to check for any blockages in lymph flow. I think there might be, in my neck. My lymph lines feel really tight along my jawline and around my ear.

Before rosacea abx, 2 doctors said I had solid edema in my face (possibly a sign of bad lymph function ... or chronic inflammation .. or both). Several months on the abx, a doctor in person said he didn't think I had solid edema but he sees a roughness, stiffness on the skin and induration on the skin (even on areas where I don't even flush) so wants to try carefully compounded ("you're not going to compound them in alcohol, are you?" "<chuckling> No I'm better than that, that would be like putting a match to your face, many special ways to compound things now") anti-inflammatory topicals - like elidel but not burning (this is news to me that something like that existed). I will say the abx are good for my flushing, but not for temperature intolerance (cold/hot). He wants to wean me from the 2 abx and maybe put me on low dose accutane (3 mg / day). He diagnosed me with facial erythromelalgia, rosacea-like dermatitis, and seb derm in my scalp / a little on my forehead ("how often do you wash your hair?" "hmmmm less frequently than you probably want to hear"). This plan makes sense to me (accutane was the best for temperature intolerance, assuming low dose .... he said the rate I ramped up on was too quick and would definitely give me the headache that caused me to stop it lol .... aaah).

I'm basically just touring the "top" dermatoloogy university depts at this point .... I hate to be hopeful about this NYU doc but I really liked how he thought the inflammation needs to be targeted in order to calm the nerves, which is something I agree with. (I think I had clear inflammation in my face from day 1, but maybe this wasn't obvious to docs since it was still in the realm of normal? I regret not showing them a "before" pic to compare)

Have you tried elidel or protopic by chance? curious if those made you burn too. I know people as bad as me who can tolerate them, which surprises me a lot.
                        Last edited by laser_cat; 7 June 2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Wow, that doctor sounds amazing.
                          I tried protopic for my swelling. I kept it in the fridge so it didn?t burn on application but my skin was so sore the next day. It felt like I had irritated my barrier. I tried it several times and each time, I was very sore the next day.
                          Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
                          I'm sorry you have increased symptoms.

I had this https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-...rpretive/75139

So i think that is mainly the pro inflammatory cytokines - not sure. But the measurement is systemic. You're right (can't click on your article right now) that Il-17 and other cytokines are found to be increased in the face skin of rosacea. The cytokine panel was just to see if htere was any definite target (upper arms used to flush and neck), but a clear test would mean nothing (there is obviously inflammation in my face).

Yes, my doctor did mention that it was likely that my current anti-inflammatories are bringing down the numbers. I think even cymbalta lowers systemic cytokines Il-1B, TNF-alpha, Il-6.

My physician is willing to order a lymphoscintigraphy - to check for any blockages in lymph flow. I think there might be, in my neck. My lymph lines feel really tight along my jawline and around my ear.

Before rosacea abx, 2 doctors said I had solid edema in my face (possibly a sign of bad lymph function ... or chronic inflammation .. or both). Several months on the abx, a doctor in person said he didn't think I had solid edema but he sees a roughness, stiffness on the skin and induration on the skin (even on areas where I don't even flush) so wants to try carefully compounded ("you're not going to compound them in alcohol, are you?" "<chuckling> No I'm better than that, that would be like putting a match to your face, many special ways to compound things now") anti-inflammatory topicals - like elidel but not burning (this is news to me that something like that existed). I will say the abx are good for my flushing, but not for temperature intolerance (cold/hot). He wants to wean me from the 2 abx and maybe put me on low dose accutane (3 mg / day). He diagnosed me with facial erythromelalgia, rosacea-like dermatitis, and seb derm in my scalp / a little on my forehead ("how often do you wash your hair?" "hmmmm less frequently than you probably want to hear"). This plan makes sense to me (accutane was the best for temperature intolerance, assuming low dose .... he said the rate I ramped up on was too quick and would definitely give me the headache that caused me to stop it lol .... aaah).

I'm basically just touring the "top" dermatoloogy university depts at this point .... I hate to be hopeful about this NYU doc but I really liked how he thought the inflammation needs to be targeted in order to calm the nerves, which is something I agree with. (I think I had clear inflammation in my face from day 1, but maybe this wasn't obvious to docs since it was still in the realm of normal? I regret not showing them a "before" pic to compare)

Have you tried elidel or protopic by chance? curious if those made you burn too. I know people as bad as me who can tolerate them, which surprises me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof View Post
                            Wow, that doctor sounds amazing.
                            I tried protopic for my swelling. I kept it in the fridge so it didn?t burn on application but my skin was so sore the next day. It felt like I had irritated my barrier. I tried it several times and each time, I was very sore the next day.
                            Have you found anything to help your swelling yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mistica View Post

Mistica, did your skin deteriorate from the use of the protective face masks by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                              X