Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Tea Follow up with Dr. Syed PhD MD

Dear Dr. Syed,
    Thank you for your email. I am always glad to hear about new possible treatments for rosacea. I posted the AAD presentation about your study and green tea cream. I have a tremendous number of questions and excitement about the cream; however, most cannot afford the cream. I truly understand the labor intensive demands of small business productoin of products. Have you considered taking on a larger partner that would listen to your instructions and signifiicantly reduce costs. I had several people order it and when everything was said and done it was nearly $160 for a 1.7 ounce jar. You had many excited rosacea sufferers until they saw that number and then they moved on. That is a shame. Once again I have had first hand experience with several small dermatology skin care products and know what time and investiment is involved, but the price will be quite limiting.
    I wish you the best.

Geoffrey
    ======================
    Dr. Geoffrey Nase
    Ph.D. Microvascular Physiologist

=======================

>From: Tasdermatologist@aol.com
    >To: drnase1000@hotmail.com
    >Subject: Thanks and Appreciation from Dr. Syed
    >Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 04:08:48 EDT
    >
    >Dear Dr. Nase,
    >
    >Many thanks for your kind phone call in response to email from Dr. Ruth
    >Grant. I am grateful to you for helping patients suffering from rosacea. What you
    >have done or doing to help rosacea patient has no parallel even in our medical
    >community. Let me tell you something about me.
    >
    >My father was a Jewish from Sweden and my mother was a Muslim from East
    >India. He was 58 years old and she was 28 years old. Leaving behind all walls of
    >religious limitations they got married and I am the only child of my family and
    >I am Christan by faith. I got my PhD in Chemistry from the University of
    >Birmingham, UK and MD from the University of Lund Sweden. I have more than 60
    >research publications as principal investigator in many major medical journals. All
    >scientific discoveries are accidental and so the discovery of green tea
    >extract incorporated cream for papulopustlar rosacea. Like brewing wine its the
    >quality of the grapes that matters and not the aging the same is with the green
    >tea leaves. I go myself to the green tea leaves farms and pluck freshly foliage
    >leaves that has not been sprayed by any pesticides and within the first five
    >hours of their picking I conduct extraction. The procedure is very laboroius
    >and time consuming. Then comes how and when to incorporate green tea extract
    >(-EGCg) into the hydrophilic base. Here I must say the cream base emulsion do
    >not contain any oil, preservative, SPF, fragrance or color. I have evaluated
    >that green tea extract has SPF-50 sun-blocking ability including both UVA and UVB
    >where conventional sunscreen are incapable of blocking or filtering UVA and
    >green tea extract blocks both. Secondly I have observed that green tea extract
    >acts as a potent preservative so I do not need to use any chemical
    >preservative. The stability of this cream is really very sensitive and thats why I
    >customize each time. I have conducted another study with 100 patients and I got
    >exceptionally encouraging results.
    >
    >Dear Dr. Nase, you are a great scientist and have devoted your life to help
    >people, I truly admire your spirit. If you are 100 then I am only 10 and may
    >need much time to reach your capabilities. You have gone through rosacea and
    >understand the real feelings how rosacea patients feel. I am 64 years old and
    >purely an academic person and not a businessman, however, I have been approached
    >by many pharmaceutical companies to start mass-production and open a bank
    >account but I disagree. If a product is $100.00 as retail originally its only
    >$10.00 where all the middlemen and distributors are pocketing profit and want to
    >prolong treatment. My strategy is that each patient should not go beyond 2-3
    >jars otherwise its not a cure or treatment. I have only two products this
    >Rosacea cream and antiaging cream. Now my focus is just rosacea cream.
    >
    >I just want to say, I feel honored to hear your voice on my voice mail and
    >sincerely apologize for the delay in my reply as I was out of the country. I
    >look forward to cooperate with you and will definitely merit your trust. Kindest
    >regards.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >
    >Tanweer A. Syed, MD, PhD
    >Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology
    >1032 Irving Street, Suite 917
    >San Francisco, CA 94122
    >
    >Phone: 415-336-0314
    >Fax: 415-422-0009
    >Website: www.syedbeauty.com

He sounds like a very nice man

I have evaluated that green tea extract has SPF-50 sun-blocking ability including both UVA and UVB where conventional sunscreen are incapable of blocking or filtering UVA and green tea extract blocks both.
    This is untrue, and potentially dangerous information. Especially considering some "rosaceans" would rely on this for SPF and neglect other sunscreen...
    Disappointing. I don't believe in the whole "customization" thing either...there are few things he could change.

That said I'd love to try it, but it's too expensive and I'm too skeptical. I put money into treatments and prescriptions, not OTC items.

Orion
    ------------------------------
    25 year old male, 20mgs Accutane daily.
    10mg's of Singulair daily (bonus that it helps with my asthma! lol)

Shave w/ Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel, Sensor Excel razor. (Used to use Mach3, but tried Sensor and won't go back!)

Comment

Comment

Hey Marc, I'm curious, you seem to know quite a bit about the medical field. We know that Dr. Nase is a researcher. Are you as well? Just curious where your knowledge comes from. :-)
        *Avoiding triggers is like trying to dodge raindrops in a monsoon.*

My Blog - http://rosaceablog.moonfruit.com/

Comment

Hi Kelli,

My knowledge comes primarily from Dr. Nase and searches on the internet. Furthermore, personal observations contribute to my knowledge. Now you shouldn't trust everything layman tells you - I'm not sure about the zinc theory or whether there is caffeine in green tea extract. There must be in green tea leaves, but not sure about the extract. In Denmark we eat raw peas as snack during the Summer (Denmark and Southern Sweden has the best climate in the world for cultivating peas). Eating 1 kilo of raw peas daily improves my skin considerable, guess this is zinc content (probably the pea shell contains even more zinc). I assume that green plants and leaves contain a lot of zinc or chemical sunscreen to protect them against UV-radiation - they kind of have to.

I find antioixdants and herbs quite interesting. I never realized before that by adding lemon peel to a dish you added beneficial antioxidants.
          However, I don't take any antioxidants myself except for FOR HER 1-2-3 haha...

Take care,

Marc

Comment

Here is a study on EGCG (green tea) and UV induced flareups. It may be interesting in this context. It seems to inhibit nitric oxide production induced by the UV's.

Green tea polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate treatment of human skin inhibits ultraviolet radiation-induced oxidative stress.

Katiyar SK, Afaq F, Perez A, Mukhtar H.

Department of Dermatology, Volker Hall 501, 1530 3rd Ave S, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294-0019, USA. sxk32@po.cwru.edu

The use of naturally occurring botanicals with substantial antioxidant activity to afford protection to human skin against UV damage is receiving increasing attention. The green tea constituent (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is a potent antioxidant and has shown remarkable preventive effects against photocarcinogenesis and phototoxicity in mouse models. In this study we have investigated the effects of topical application of EGCG, the major polyphenol present in green tea, to human skin before UV irradiation on UV-induced markers of oxidative stress and antioxidant enzymes. Using immunohistochemistry and analytical enzyme assays, we found that application of EGCG (mg/cm(2) skin) before a single UV exposure of 4x minimal erythema dose (MED) markedly decreases UV-induced production of hydrogen peroxide (68-90%, P < 0.025-0.005) and nitric oxide (30-100%, P < 0.025-0.005) in both epidermis and dermis in a time-dependent manner. EGCG pretreatment also inhibits UV-induced infiltration of inflammatory leukocytes, particularly CD11b(+) cells (a surface marker of monocytes/macrophages and neutrophils), into the skin, which are considered to be the major producers of reactive oxygen species. EGCG treatment was also found to inhibit UV-induced epidermal lipid peroxidation at each time point studied (41-84%, P < 0.05). A single UV exposure of 4x MED to human skin was found to increase catalase activity (109-145%) and decrease glutathione peroxidase (GPx) activity (36-54%) and total glutathione (GSH) level (13-36%) at different time points studied. Pretreatment with EGCG was found to restore the UV-induced decrease in GSH level and afforded protection to the antioxidant enzyme GPx. Further studies are warranted to study the preventive effects of EGCG against multiple exposures to UV light of human skin.

Comment

Comment

This is maybe off-topic, but green tea extract taken orally (I'm not talking about the topical option) can cause a 40-50 % increase in noradrenaline. So, dispite it's an anti-oxidant and has anti-inflammatory effects, I don't think it's good for rosaceans.

Any input? I'm not sure.

Comment

I believe Dr. Sayed uses vitamin C in
                  his green tea topical.

If so, isn't that a no-no for Rosaceans,
                  when used topically?

Beth

Comment

Working...
                  X