Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope [CLSM] update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope [CLSM] update

The Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope [CLSM] was discussed in a paper by Sattler, et. al, last year which stated with this device "it is possible to non-invasively detect, image and quantify Demodex mites in facial skin of patients with rosacea." Now a paper just released by Lacey, et. al, says that with this same device "there are limitations to the use of this method to accurately detect absolute numbers of mites in human skin."

The earlier paper only said 'it is possible' and didn't state in emphatic terms that this device was the end all in demodex quantification.

The facts are that we know little about the quantification of demodex on human skin and it only appears that in certain rosacea patients the numbers are higher than in normal patient's skin. It may be possible that the issue isn't the number of demodex but the fact that the demodex carry a certain type of bacteria, Bacillus oleronius, that may be the issue.

What we need is 10,000 rosacea patients insisting that a doctor takes a demodex density count, whether or not they use the CLSM or just a plain microscope. If more doctors did this the data would continue to emerge whether quantification of demodex is important in ruling out demodex or not. As it stands now, there is little data on the quantification of demodex in rosacea patients. It is possible that demodex density counts may or may not be important in ruling out demodectic rosacea and the only way to know for sure is to increase the data so that this can be tested and quantified.

Photo of the Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope [CLSM]

confocal-laser-scanning-microscope_thumb.jpg

Comment

An interesting reply from Sattler, et.al, regarding the Lacy, et. al, paper just released. At least one clinic routinely quantifies demodex:

"As a center specialized in acne and rosacea we are also using SSSB routinely as the standard method for demodex quantification and have gathered ample experience within the past decades."
      Last edited by Brady Barrows; 21 February 2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Aloha Brady,
        Do you still use that Chinese Demodex salve on occasion?

Comment

Originally posted by DukeCity View Post
          Aloha Brady,
          Do you still use that Chinese Demodex salve on occasion?
          Aloha Dukecity,

That and my diet. That's it. Works for me. I still have rosacea, but I control it with these two treatments.

Mahalo.

Comment

Very good, I just had an IPL treatment today, I struck up a conversation with a woman who was in the waiting room with me, she had high praises for the ZZ cream - said it has helped her tremendously and she uses that and a few IPL's a year to stay clear, she looked great.

Comment

Would you recommend ZZ cream to somebody who never has P&P's, only redness and flushing?

Comment

Working...
              X