• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article about Sulfur

Interesting article about Sulfur:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n12417035/
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

I used 8% sulphur with cetaphil moisturizing lotion, sadly it did not reduce the redness.

Comment

Epsom Salts

Has anyone had success using epsom salts? Maybe taking a bath with them? Ive read they can help restore magnesium and sulfate levels as sulfate is better absorbed thru the skin.

found this on sulfate deficiencies...

Symptoms of PST/sulfate deficiency(problems with phenols/salicylates) are reddened ears, hyperactivity, inappropriate laughter, night sweats, black under eyes, excessive thirst, eczema, facial flushing, trouble falling to sleep, disturbed sleep and odorous bed clothes.

I know i have a few of these symptoms. is there a reliable way to test your sulfur levels?
      Doug

Comment

I'm not sure if you can get your sulfur levels tested??

I have been trialling using flower of sulfur (yellow sulfur powder) on my face overnight over the past few days and my skin does seem to love it. I'm pretty sure it is helping my overall complexion, though it looks mighty wierd when you have it dusted on (like yellow dusty chalk). I am also taking 1/2 a teaspoon of it orally every two days (you can do this safely, apparently this was a common method in the old days). I will report back in a month or so when I know for sure, and it certainly doesn't come with unwanted side effects so there is no harm in seeing what happens.
        Last edited by shantelle; 20 December 2011, 05:00 AM.
        Shantelle

Comment

I highly recommend natrual Sulfur for those with Seborrhea / Seborrheoic Dermatitis

Update:
          The Flowers of Sulfur natrual homeopathic powder (also known as Brimstone) is most definetly helping my skin - better skin tone, almost like the skin is 'glowing' in health. I can see that where there was a little bit of pink on my most troubling areas, it is almost like the epidermis is being repaired. It is hard to explain. i would say that because this is a 'natrual' skin treatment, there is no harm in trying it.

So I am still taking the powder (with water) orally, and applying a dusting of it overnight.

One thing I will mention is if you are on Accutane or thinking about it, because you have SD or because you have noticed oil aggravates your Rosacea, I would HIGHLY recommend Flowers of Sulfur to you. It is drying. Actually, taking it orally can be compared to moderate-high doses of Spironolactone (this med I (and others) have used before - it is anti-androgenic so halts the oil production). So people with dry skin might not want to take Flowers of Sulfur orally, but they will probably still benefit from using it mixed with something like a cream or moisturiser and applying it topically.

I have been researching more about Flowers of Sulfur and there only seems to be positive stuff online about it, and lots of old people know about it because it was widely used for all sorts of issues in the old days, and especially before Penicillin came along. Because sulfur is antifungal/antibacterial and apparently antiseptic, it is definetly worth Rosaceans and SD suffers looking into this natrual homeopathic treatment.

I get my Flowers of Sulfur from a reputable source in NZ, but Amazon seems to sell it and the reviews are really, really good: http://www.amazon.com/Sulfur-Powder-...owViewpoints=1
          Shantelle

Comment

Treatment going well, it still has a definite claming effect on my skin. I have dropped down to using it topically (dusted on lightly overnight, not mixed with anything) a few times per week now, and my skin still seems to have some sort of calming benefit from it so I will continue to use as needed, especially if my SD flares up (it's great for calming oily skin).

It is certainly not a cure but I have found positive benefit from using it.
            Shantelle

Comment

Originally posted by shantelle View Post
              Update:
              I have been researching more about Flowers of Sulfur and there only seems to be positive stuff online about it, and lots of old people know about it because it was widely used for all sorts of issues in the old days, and especially before Penicillin came along. Because sulfur is antifungal/antibacterial and apparently antiseptic, it is definetly worth Rosaceans and SD suffers looking into this natrual homeopathic treatment.

I get my Flowers of Sulfur from a reputable source in NZ, but Amazon seems to sell it and the reviews are really, really good: http://www.amazon.com/Sulfur-Powder-...owViewpoints=1
              Thanks for the info, Shantelle. I remember when I was in Australia in 1974 I was given a sulphur paste by a dermatologist for my skin problem. It smelt horrible so I never kept it going on my return to the UK, perhaps I should have?

I will definitely try and order some because the Amazon reviews also mention it helps with hair growth. That would be a terrific bonus. My hairline is receeding rapidly with age!!

Comment

I take sulphur internally in the form of msm (1 teaspoon a day) and have seen an improvement in my skin over the past 8 months, less flushing, redness and burning overall.
                My skin feels softer, especially my legs and arms and my hair is growing like crazy; though i do also take biotin (which could account for the hair growth) and vitamin d3 so maybe they are helping keep my skin calmer? I am pretty sure the msm is responsible for the change in skin texture as i have run out twice and each time after re-starting taking it i have noticed my skin feels softer.

I have recently started experimenting with applying a 10% precipitated sulphur ointment to my face at night and washing it off in the morning before i apply a 50% tea tree/olive oil mask for 15 mins (to kill demodex). I am trying this as sulphur is an antifungal and could also help kill off demodex (which i think play a big part in worsening my rosacea) but i have only recently started this so cant really comment on results yet!

Either way i think sulphur is a good thing to try as its in every cell of your body and is supposed to be the 'beauty mineral'!!

Comment

I started taking MSM Capsules last November 2011. I had an inflamation of the tissue of my heel and none of the orthopaedic treatments helped. So I looked up the internet for treatment of inflamation like this. MSM is recommended for a lot of inflamations like arthritis and similar conditions. I also bought a book about the healing propeties of MSM. It really seems to be very important for a lot of reactions in our body and should actually be taken as a daily supplement (1mg - 2 mg daily is recommended). You can take more if necessary. As I had an acute inflamation I started taking 6 capsules (each 1 mg) per day and then slowly went down to 2 capsules per day. I am not sure if it helped my tissue as I still have pain. But I have for sure noticed less flushing since I take the MSM. I was not sure if this was really the MSM what has caused this. I thought it might also be the countless IPL treatments finally starting to show some results or just coincidence. You know it is always difficult to tell things with rosacea. But as I read now that "star 26" also experienced less flushing I am more attemted to think it really is the MSM. I have now added the MSM to my regular daily supplements taking.

Befor taking the MSM I did some research. There is naturally MSM made from pines and there is synthetically produced MSM. Apparantly is does not make a difference which one you choose (I have the natural pine MSM though). The important part seems to be that it is: 100% Distille Pure MSM. This has an especially high degree of purity and makes sure you really get pure MSM and nothing else you don't want to consume. Here in Germany I by my MSM from the company essential-foods.de.

Best wishes,
                  Barbara

Comment

Rosacea.jpg
                    Margaret K., age 45, Ireland:
                    ROSACEA

PATIENT AT the Skin Clinic of the Women's Medical College. Rosacea is a chronic disease of the middle period of life. These "rosy drops" sometimes present a central point of a somewhat darker hue. In severe cases a fiery triangle may be seen on either cheek. In the most remarkable form of the disease the nose may attain the size of the fist. The eruption had troubled her more or less for six years and had been much worse than usual during the last month. She complained greatly of discomfort after eating and often vomited her food. The gastric irritability having subsided under a restricted diet, she was ordered Aug. 6, 1878, a mixture containing sulphate of iron and sulphate of magnesia, and for local application an ointment of sulphur, four parts, cosmoline, ninety-two parts. This was followed by rapid improvement, and when seen again on Sept. 17, all trace of the eruption had disappeared, and she felt much stronger and better.

Source
                    Brady Barrows
                    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara View Post
                      (1mg - 2 mg daily is recommended). You can take more if necessary. As I had an acute inflamation I started taking 6 capsules (each 1 mg) per day and then slowly went down to 2 capsules per day.
                      Ooops, I made a mistake. It is not 1mg per capsule, it is 1000mg per capsule

Comment

I was prescribed Prascion facial/body wash yesterday. It contains 10% sodium sulfacetamide and 5% sulfur. Has anyone used this product?
                        Last edited by labrynth; 8 March 2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meridiantoo View Post
                          I was prescribed Prascion facial/body wash yesterday. It contains 10% sodium sulfacetamide and 5% sulfur. Has anyone used this product?
                          I've used it, it's okay. As for sulfacetamide/sulfur products, I prefer the lotion which you leave on your skin overnight, I think they are more effective than the wash products.

-Dave-

Comment

Originally posted by flying_er View Post
                            I've used it, it's okay. As for sulfacetamide/sulfur products, I prefer the lotion which you leave on your skin overnight, I think they are more effective than the wash products.

-Dave-
                            Thanks, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
                              Has anyone had success using epsom salts? Maybe taking a bath with them? Ive read they can help restore magnesium and sulfate levels as sulfate is better absorbed thru the skin.

found this on sulfate deficiencies...

Symptoms of PST/sulfate deficiency(problems with phenols/salicylates) are reddened ears, hyperactivity, inappropriate laughter, night sweats, black under eyes, excessive thirst, eczema, facial flushing, trouble falling to sleep, disturbed sleep and odorous bed clothes.

I know i have a few of these symptoms. is there a reliable way to test your sulfur levels?
                              Hi Doug ~

What is PST?

Have you tried the epsom salts? I'm curious of how this worked for you, if you did.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X