Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange ‘rash’ (pics)

Hiya,

I know ‘diagnosis’ from pics isn’t the best, but I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on what this strange rash on my face could be? My skin suddenly turned super oily right around the time it came up (unsure of before or after) and hasn’t gone back to normal in over a year 😥

Many thanks 🙏

1 more pic

Comment

Maybe mild seb derm?

The photos don't look bad to me. The skin on your cheeks looks a little uneven and there is a little redness (not much). Is your skin flaky? What happens if you use a mild glycolic acid or salicylic acid peel?

Comment

Originally posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
        Maybe mild seb derm?

The photos don't look bad to me. The skin on your cheeks looks a little uneven and there is a little redness (not much). Is your skin flaky? What happens if you use a mild glycolic acid or salicylic acid peel?
        Thanks for your reply �� I have super sensitive skin So I can’t use any salicylic/glycolic acids..it just burns my skin.. yeh my skin can be a bit ‘peely’ and I have anterior and posterior blepharitis..a lot of my eyelashes have fallen out and the optometrist thought it was from demodex..yay haha. I have thought it could be seb derm, it’s just strange that the little bumps are grouped together and can become pustules which I’m not sure if seb derm causes? I’ve seen 2 dermatologists and been told it’s rosacea, eczema and my gp thought it could be seb derm ☹️

Comment

My usual skin ��

I should also mention that the bumps always appear in exactly the same spots. It is definitely worsened with humidity and sweat as well as being in front of radiant heat like a fire or heater. I believe seb derm is worse in the cold? ����*♀️ Derm put me on 10mg/day accutane, I think just because it was too hard basket? Tried ketaconazole wash just to see and it just irritated my skin. I don’t want to rely on accutane forever, which was his proposition, but I cant find anything else that helps. Feeling pretty crap about it all, especially in combo with the dry eye and losing half my eyelashes.
          Last edited by aussiechick84; 19 December 2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiechick84 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5472[/ATTACH]

My usual skin ��

I should also mention that the bumps always appear in exactly the same spots. It is definitely worsened with humidity and sweat as well as being in front of radiant heat like a fire or heater. I believe seb derm is worse in the cold? ����*♀️ Derm put me on 10mg/day accutane, I think just because it was too hard basket? Tried ketaconazole wash just to see and it just irritated my skin. I don’t want to rely on accutane forever, which was his proposition, but I cant find anything else that helps. Feeling pretty crap about it all, especially in combo with the dry eye and losing half my eyelashes.
            I think I see what you mean. You look shinier there. Do you also get a hot face, flushing, etc? The photos don't really look like typical rosacea to me, but maybe someone else will recognise something. It looks a little like my skin did when I was younger and had problems with sensitive skin and dry patches, and finding a moisturizer I could tolerate and a way to exfoliate that didn't irritate me helped a lot then.

Comment

Yeah, it’s mainly the weird texture/bumps near my nose..I do get flushing since I took accutane..and I think accutane also brought on the dry eye. I don’t have permanent redness but I do get very hot in the face after a shower particularly and when I drink alcohol in rooms with no air flow. The pic above is after a shower, this redness fades.. excuse the honey on my nose, tried that too and made it worse with little red bumps.. so hard to treat these damn skin issues sometimes isn’t it! 😐

Comment

There used to be lots of people here who took accutane for acne, then got horrible flushing from it that persisted after they stopped accutane... frustrating stuff.

Comment

Yep, that’s what happened to me. Super frustrating, if you insinuate to a dermatologist that it was from the accutane, they say it’s not possible.

Comment

The photos, for me at least, don't show anything (maybe my screen is too small to see anything) but I just want to "throw out there" that my ophthalmologist diagnosed me with high demodex population about 3 years before I got my demodectic rosacea diagnosis and my dermatologist thinks they are related. In other words if you have an ophthalmologist telling you demodex, which is because she could see the mites during an exam, I would take that seriously. I wish I had known what demodex was 3 years ago. I waited until I was in EXTREME distress before getting treated for demodex. All my symptoms were on my face (so I never got eyelash fallout or blepharitis in other words) but it was very bad! And now I have apparently permanent redness even after getting rid of the demodex. So I would highly recommend that you proceed as if you have demodex on your face. Treating for demodex on your face is harmless if you don't have it, and helpful if you do have it.

For me I used a few drops of tea tree essential oil diluted into my regular seb derm moisturizer to kill the demodex but there are plenty of other treatments that are equally or more effective. There are loads of threads on here about people who killed their demodex. Many use something called "ZZ Cream" very effectively. I do recommend that you do this under the care of a dermatologist because if you have an extreme die-off like I did, it destroys the skin barrier and you are open to infection; a dermatologist will make sure you don't get one.

I say all this because of your eye diagnosis, NOT because of your photos, which look fine to me. (Perhaps because I always subconsciously compare to my own face and think "I would kill for skin that good" heh.)

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
                      The photos, for me at least, don't show anything (maybe my screen is too small to see anything) but I just want to "throw out there" that my ophthalmologist diagnosed me with high demodex population about 3 years before I got my demodectic rosacea diagnosis and my dermatologist thinks they are related. In other words if you have an ophthalmologist telling you demodex, which is because she could see the mites during an exam, I would take that seriously. I wish I had known what demodex was 3 years ago. I waited until I was in EXTREME distress before getting treated for demodex. All my symptoms were on my face (so I never got eyelash fallout or blepharitis in other words) but it was very bad! And now I have apparently permanent redness even after getting rid of the demodex. So I would highly recommend that you proceed as if you have demodex on your face. Treating for demodex on your face is harmless if you don't have it, and helpful if you do have it.

For me I used a few drops of tea tree essential oil diluted into my regular seb derm moisturizer to kill the demodex but there are plenty of other treatments that are equally or more effective. There are loads of threads on here about people who killed their demodex. Many use something called "ZZ Cream" very effectively. I do recommend that you do this under the care of a dermatologist because if you have an extreme die-off like I did, it destroys the skin barrier and you are open to infection; a dermatologist will make sure you don't get one.

I say all this because of your eye diagnosis, NOT because of your photos, which look fine to me. (Perhaps because I always subconsciously compare to my own face and think "I would kill for skin that good" heh.)
                      Well thanks for saying you can’t notice anything! The pictures are less clear when uploaded than the originals. In my t-zone, my makeup is almost completely gone at the end of the day as it is so oily, like a waxy oil? Do you find this oiliness with your seb derm? I have read this can also be caused by demodex..so hard to know what to try as so many things seem to worsen it, probably due to weakening the skin barrier as you say. Thank you, I’ll look into the zz cream I think.. the amount of $$ we end up spending trying to find something that works is phenomenal!

How are you going with your demodectic rosacea? I hope you’ve been able to get it under control to some degree.

Comment

Have you considered malassezia folliculitis? this blog post might help you: https://simpleskincarescience.com/pi...lassezia-cure/

Comment

Originally posted by Daners View Post
                          Have you considered malassezia folliculitis? this blog post might help you: https://simpleskincarescience.com/pi...lassezia-cure/
                          I sure have Daners, I am more familiar with that webpage than I’d care to admit �� I feel like the little bumps seem to be more consistent with MF than seb derm..? Tried ketoconazole (Nizoral) but it just irritates my skin ☹️

Comment

Originally posted by aussiechick84 View Post
                            Well thanks for saying you can’t notice anything! The pictures are less clear when uploaded than the originals. In my t-zone, my makeup is almost completely gone at the end of the day as it is so oily, like a waxy oil? Do you find this oiliness with your seb derm? I have read this can also be caused by demodex..so hard to know what to try as so many things seem to worsen it, probably due to weakening the skin barrier as you say. Thank you, I’ll look into the zz cream I think.. the amount of $$ we end up spending trying to find something that works is phenomenal!

How are you going with your demodectic rosacea? I hope you’ve been able to get it under control to some degree.
                            My seb derm symptoms were basically: my skin had patches of dry/dead skin that I thought of as "plaques" or "scales", and there was a fair amount of oil but not a crazy amount. The scaliness was usually present but fluctuated with flares, definitely associated with my menstrual cycle (ovulation and PMS were the worst). It was that "dry and oily at the same time" skin type. It is difficult though for me to definitely say which of my symptoms were seb derm and which were demodex because they work together to make each other worse and they can be hard to tease apart. For example I also had a lot of redness, which could have been either. Before treatment, I ALWAYS had at least some pustules/pimples, and during flares I had over 100 pustules at a time (that has to be demodex though).

Based on your description it sounds like you have overactive sebaceous glands (which is what seb derm is). I don't know if demodex causes that but I sincerely believe that these two conditions work together so disrupting one of them disrupts both. I had a complete remission of my seb derm after my demodex die-off, which has not been adequately explained (beyond the fact that I use a moisturizer formulated for seb derm sufferers).

As far as how I'm going... I think pretty great! I've been treating since August. My only lingering symptom is some pink color on my cheeks/chin, and visible capillaries on my cheeks and nose. I'm continuing treatment for the pink, and may do laser in about a year. I work hard for this (a lot of skincare (all of it from France), not particularly cheap, regular dermatologist visits), but it is worth it. Now that it's December I do have a tiny bit of dryness on my forehead if I go overboard with face powder. Very rarely (1x/month) I will have stray pustule that does not recur if I brush it away. Zero acne type pimples, no scales, no oily skin. Overall very very satisfied. Bearing in mind I was unable to leave the house as recently as mid-August. I have other posts on here with my hideous photos if you're interested lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
                              My seb derm symptoms were basically: my skin had patches of dry/dead skin that I thought of as "plaques" or "scales", and there was a fair amount of oil but not a crazy amount. The scaliness was usually present but fluctuated with flares, definitely associated with my menstrual cycle (ovulation and PMS were the worst). It was that "dry and oily at the same time" skin type. It is difficult though for me to definitely say which of my symptoms were seb derm and which were demodex because they work together to make each other worse and they can be hard to tease apart. For example I also had a lot of redness, which could have been either. Before treatment, I ALWAYS had at least some pustules/pimples, and during flares I had over 100 pustules at a time (that has to be demodex though).

Based on your description it sounds like you have overactive sebaceous glands (which is what seb derm is). I don't know if demodex causes that but I sincerely believe that these two conditions work together so disrupting one of them disrupts both. I had a complete remission of my seb derm after my demodex die-off, which has not been adequately explained (beyond the fact that I use a moisturizer formulated for seb derm sufferers).

As far as how I'm going... I think pretty great! I've been treating since August. My only lingering symptom is some pink color on my cheeks/chin, and visible capillaries on my cheeks and nose. I'm continuing treatment for the pink, and may do laser in about a year. I work hard for this (a lot of skincare (all of it from France), not particularly cheap, regular dermatologist visits), but it is worth it. Now that it's December I do have a tiny bit of dryness on my forehead if I go overboard with face powder. Very rarely (1x/month) I will have stray pustule that does not recur if I brush it away. Zero acne type pimples, no scales, no oily skin. Overall very very satisfied. Bearing in mind I was unable to leave the house as recently as mid-August. I have other posts on here with my hideous photos if you're interested lol.
                              Yeh I agree, it can be so difficult to know what’s causing what! I started using soolantra that the derm gave to me but I was having a flush at the time (which I’ve been hving since accutane 4 yrs ago well before this skin issue began) and I was so scared to use it as it has ingredients that worsen Malassezia conditions.. I used it for a few days and it worsened which could have been demodex die off but being a physiotherapist I work face to face with patients daily and can’t afford to take days off due to looking awful so I stopped 😕😔

Wow, you’ve come so far - you look amazing! All that hard work has paid off 😊 good on you for being persistent and working with diet and skin care until you got the result, it’s so tough trying things and not knowing if it will improve or worsen things so cudos to you!

So, question.. can Malassezia yeast CAUSE oily skin? And did the oiliness if your skin improve after you treated the Seb Derm? Because my skin was never this oily before and the texture of the oil was different...

Comment

Working...
                              X