Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like Rosacea?

Hello everyone,

I am always confused if I have rosacea because what I mostly see is people talking about pimple like bumps and redness or butterfly rashes. My skin is sometimes red but it's mostly always dry and highly sensitive. No matter what diet I go on, I can't seem to get the skin barrier to be normal. When I'm upset, in the sun too long, sweat or get sick the dryness and redness intensifies and then I peel for days. I used to manage my skin by using topical steroids however that stopped working and then I really had a mess on my hands. What leads me to believe it could be Demodex related and rosacea is that I have had chronic blepharitis for 10 years, as well as tiny scabs on my scalp. If I wear make up or lotion even for a few hours this causes my face to burn and then peel for a week or two. Does this sound like it could be demodex rosacea? Lastly, when I would have a flare I would tend to break out in tiny bumps but they never had a white head that hasn't happened since my diet has gotten healthy however I still flare.

The 10 years of chronic blepharitis does sound like it could be blepharitis demodex. Have you seen an opthalmologist for treatment of the blepharitis? They can test you to determine the cause including testing for demodex.

It sounds like you might have demodex. If so, a demodex over population indicates an immune system problem in the gut.

Gut issues that can lead to skin issues include Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO). Both types of overgrowths cause gut issues, with identical symptoms. A person can have SIBO or SIFO or both. SIBO has been strongly associated with skin issues like rosacea. Have you been tested for SIBO? Eating a well balanced diet, low in sugar and fast foods with probiotics can help a lot. But if you do have SIBO/SIFO that is still active even with diet changes, you may need to be treated with an antibiotic that is effective against the strain of bacteria(s) causing the SIBO. If you have SIFO then an appropriate anti-fungal drug to treat the type of fungus causing the SIFO is needed. A 3 hour breath test can screen for SIBO by testing the amount of hydrogen, methane or sulfide gas in the breath after drinking a glucose solution. A second test the endoscope test for SIBO/SIFO, is the gold standard for identifying the exact type of bacteria or fungus causing SIBO and/or SIFO. Any given antibiotic or anti-fungal drug is only effective against a limited number of types of bacteria or fungus. Knowing the exact type of bacteria and/or fungus causing the problem can allow your doctor to prescribe the most effective drug.

I don't know if the skin sensitivities like the burning and peeling could be related to rosacea or not. A good dermatologist should be able to diagnose the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineA View Post
      The 10 years of chronic blepharitis does sound like it could be blepharitis demodex. Have you seen an opthalmologist for treatment of the blepharitis? They can test you to determine the cause including testing for demodex.

It sounds like you might have demodex. If so, a demodex over population indicates an immune system problem in the gut.

Gut issues that can lead to skin issues include Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) and Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO). Both types of overgrowths cause gut issues, with identical symptoms. A person can have SIBO or SIFO or both. SIBO has been strongly associated with skin issues like rosacea. Have you been tested for SIBO? Eating a well balanced diet, low in sugar and fast foods with probiotics can help a lot. But if you do have SIBO/SIFO that is still active even with diet changes, you may need to be treated with an antibiotic that is effective against the strain of bacteria(s) causing the SIBO. If you have SIFO then an appropriate anti-fungal drug to treat the type of fungus causing the SIFO is needed. A 3 hour breath test can screen for SIBO by testing the amount of hydrogen, methane or sulfide gas in the breath after drinking a glucose solution. A second test the endoscope test for SIBO/SIFO, is the gold standard for identifying the exact type of bacteria or fungus causing SIBO and/or SIFO. Any given antibiotic or anti-fungal drug is only effective against a limited number of types of bacteria or fungus. Knowing the exact type of bacteria and/or fungus causing the problem can allow your doctor to prescribe the most effective drug.

I don't know if the skin sensitivities like the burning and peeling could be related to rosacea or not. A good dermatologist should be able to diagnose the issues.
      Oh my gosh, thank you so much for responding! I have been on several gut diets and probiotics for a few years now and that really helped my skin to not basically be an open wound. However, I'm now anxious to be able to wear makeup and live more normally. The diet and probiotics do not seem to address the chronic sensitivity though it does help the rest of my skin that used to struggle with eczema, that is all gone now due to the gut diet. I got my gut tested and my doctor was surprised it looked as good as it did considering my face inflammation. That is why I began to think more about the demodex problem. My blepharitis is much better than it used to be however I still get a bit of discharge every day and react to any kind of I make up. I'm curious if you think I should try the ivermectin protocol I've seen people on here do. I realize that will not address the root cause but if I see improvement even temporarily it could maybe give me insight into what is going on. Whenever I go to the eye doctor and talk about my blepharitis he always prescribed me a steroids which I refused to take anymore. I was really hoping my gut test would come back showing that it was a mess because I'm so desperate for answers. I have also been on some parasite protocols that I feel like I've helped the information but again, it still doesn't help with the chronic sensitivity : (. I am under an immense amount of stress and I often wonder if that is what is affecting my immune system.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmakate View Post

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for responding! I have been on several gut diets and probiotics for a few years now and that really helped my skin to not basically be an open wound. However, I'm now anxious to be able to wear makeup and live more normally. The diet and probiotics do not seem to address the chronic sensitivity though it does help the rest of my skin that used to struggle with eczema, that is all gone now due to the gut diet. I got my gut tested and my doctor was surprised it looked as good as it did considering my face inflammation. That is why I began to think more about the demodex problem. My blepharitis is much better than it used to be however I still get a bit of discharge every day and react to any kind of I make up. I'm curious if you think I should try the ivermectin protocol I've seen people on here do. I realize that will not address the root cause but if I see improvement even temporarily it could maybe give me insight into what is going on. Whenever I go to the eye doctor and talk about my blepharitis he always prescribed me a steroids which I refused to take anymore. I was really hoping my gut test would come back showing that it was a mess because I'm so desperate for answers. I have also been on some parasite protocols that I feel like I've helped the information but again, it still doesn't help with the chronic sensitivity : (. I am under an immense amount of stress and I often wonder if that is what is affecting my immune system.
        I had severe blepharitis demodex misdiagnosed as allergic conjunctivitis, Rosacea Subtype 2 with papules and pustules misdiagnosed as bacterial acne, and SIBO misdiagnosed as "it must have been something you ate or a bug". All conditions were misdiagnosed by multiple board certified physicians for decades. The SIBO was the root cause of it all. I'm still clear at over 3.5 years later.

Note that SIBO can be caused by at least 8 or more different kinds of bacteria. That makes it important to know which type of bacteria is causing the SIBO. Any specific antibiotic is effective against a limited number of different types of bacteria. If the bacteria is identified first the doctors can select the best antibiotic for successful treatment. Same thing goes if SIFO is an issue for selecting the most effective anti-fungal drug to treat a specific type of fungus causing SIFO.

I took the 2 drug, 2 week, combined treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. It worked and nothing else ever had. These 2 drugs are both available as inexpensive generics. Total drug cost with insurance copay for me was $13.03.
        The Oral Ivermectin knocked out the demodex in 2 once a week doses based on body weight at 200 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. The Oral Metronidazole knocked out the SIBO taken at 250 mg three times daily with food for 2 weeks. While on Oral Metronidazole you should not drink alcohol while taking the drug and for 3 days after the last tablet - otherwise there are unpleasant side effects. This treatment was reported in a medical paper in the May 2013 issue of the International Journal of Infectious Diseases. At the time the doctors did not know why adding Oral Metronidazole in addition to the Oral Ivermectin made the treatment so much more effective. After doing a bit of research, I found that Oral Metronidazole is highly effective (99%) effective at killing at least 2 of the known bacteria that cause SIBO. Doctors had found as early as 1985 that using Oral Metrondiazole to treat rosacea was successful in many cases. But they didn't why it worked. It was likely treating an underlying SIBO condition that effected the immune system's ability to keep the demodex mite population under control.

Here's the link to the medical paper on the 2 drug combined treatment that I took:
        https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0197121201315X

Another study was reported as a letter in 2016 to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology on using the very expensive antibiotic Rifaximin to treat people with known SIBO and Rosacea. The patients were confirmed to have SIBO but no mention was made of the type of bacteria causing the SIBO. Rifaximin is the most effective antibiotic for E Coli but may not be effective against other types of bacteria that can cause SIBO.

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9...330-4/fulltext

SIFO may cause the same symptoms intestinal symptoms as SIBO. SIFO can occur alone or with SIBO. Oral anti-fungal drugs like Difflucan can effectively clear the SIFO.

Ask your opthalmologist to test for demodex. If they won't do that, try and find a competent doctor who will test for demodex. I understand why you don't want to use steroids. Steroids can cause serious issues in the long run. Steroids only treat the symptoms, not the cause. Typically, blepharitis is caused by one of 3 problems: bacteria, fungus or demodex. Identify the cause and you should be able to treat it properly to get rid of it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I had severe blepharitis demodex misdiagnosed as allergic conjunctivitis, Rosacea Subtype 2 with papules and pustules misdiagnosed as bacterial acne, and SIBO misdiagnosed as "it must have been something you ate or a bug". All conditions were misdiagnosed by multiple board certified physicians for decades. The SIBO was the root cause of it all. I'm still clear at over 3.5 years later.

Note that SIBO can be caused by at least 8 or more different kinds of bacteria. That makes it important to know which type of bacteria is causing the SIBO. Any specific antibiotic is effective against a limited number of different types of bacteria. If the bacteria is identified first the doctors can select the best antibiotic for successful treatment. Same thing goes if SIFO is an issue for selecting the most effective anti-fungal drug to treat a specific type of fungus causing SIFO.

I took the 2 drug, 2 week, combined treatment with Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. It worked and nothing else ever had. These 2 drugs are both available as inexpensive generics. Total drug cost with insurance copay for me was $13.03.
          The Oral Ivermectin knocked out the demodex in 2 once a week doses based on body weight at 200 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. The Oral Metronidazole knocked out the SIBO taken at 250 mg three times daily with food for 2 weeks. While on Oral Metronidazole you should not drink alcohol while taking the drug and for 3 days after the last tablet - otherwise there are unpleasant side effects. This treatment was reported in a medical paper in the May 2013 issue of the International Journal of Infectious Diseases. At the time the doctors did not know why adding Oral Metronidazole in addition to the Oral Ivermectin made the treatment so much more effective. After doing a bit of research, I found that Oral Metronidazole is highly effective (99%) effective at killing at least 2 of the known bacteria that cause SIBO. Doctors had found as early as 1985 that using Oral Metrondiazole to treat rosacea was successful in many cases. But they didn't why it worked. It was likely treating an underlying SIBO condition that effected the immune system's ability to keep the demodex mite population under control.

Here's the link to the medical paper on the 2 drug combined treatment that I took:

Another study was reported as a letter in 2016 to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology on using the very expensive antibiotic Rifaximin to treat people with known SIBO and Rosacea. The patients were confirmed to have SIBO but no mention was made of the type of bacteria causing the SIBO. Rifaximin is the most effective antibiotic for E Coli but may not be effective against other types of bacteria that can cause SIBO.

SIFO may cause the same symptoms intestinal symptoms as SIBO. SIFO can occur alone or with SIBO. Oral anti-fungal drugs like Difflucan can effectively clear the SIFO.

Ask your opthalmologist to test for demodex. If they won't do that, try and find a competent doctor who will test for demodex. I understand why you don't want to use steroids. Steroids can cause serious issues in the long run. Steroids only treat the symptoms, not the cause. Typically, blepharitis is caused by one of 3 problems: bacteria, fungus or demodex. Identify the cause and you should be able to treat it properly to get rid of it.

Hope this helps.

I just spoke to my dermatologist over telehealth and she is waiting for me to send her pictures, but from what I explained to her she feels that I most likely have rosacea. She told me that she would want to treat me with SSRI's because I told him my face was too sensitive to use a topical. It's incredible that your treatment worked so well, how is it that you only had to do it once and it wiped it out for good? That is so unbelievably encouraging. I completely forgot to ask her about a Demadex test! I meeting with her again next week do you have any advice on how I should go about asking her about the regiment you tried? Also, I do not have any of the pustules, I just I'm very sensitive and turn red and then peel for weeks. Also, how did you go about healing your SIBO? Was it just through diet? If so what day do you recommend? Also, I forgot to mention that I have an itchy scalp that sometimes has little scabs on it! Have you experienced that at all? SO sorry for all of the questions!

Comment

I just spoke to my dermatologist over telehealth and she is waiting for me to send her pictures, but from what I explained to her she feels that I most likely have rosacea. She told me that she would want to treat me with SSRI's because I told him my face was too sensitive to use a topical. It's incredible that your treatment worked so well, how is it that you only had to do it once and it wiped it out for good? That is so unbelievably encouraging. I completely forgot to ask her about a Demadex test! I meeting with her again next week do you have any advice on how I should go about asking her about the regiment you tried? Also, I do not have any of the pustules, I just I'm very sensitive and turn red and then peel for weeks. Also, how did you go about healing your SIBO? Was it just through diet? If so what day do you recommend? Also, I forgot to mention that I have an itchy scalp that sometimes has little scabs on it! Have you experienced that at all? SO sorry for all of the questions!
            Yes, my scalp was intensely itchy when I had demodex and SIBO. Occasionally had "scalp acne" when a demodex die off occurred. There could be scabs from either die off pustules or just scratching it because it itches.

Make sure the doctor understands that you have had the blepharitis for 10 years. Make sure they know about the scalp itch and the scalp scabs. Ask directly for a demodex test to determine if demodex is causing your eye and skin issues. The doctor is working for you. Do not be afraid to ask for a demodex test.

The 2 week, 2 drug combined treatment of Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole cured the SIBO and the demodex. The 2 once a week doses of Oral Ivermectin wiped out the overpopulation of demodex and finally got rid of the ones in my eyelids, eyelashes and eyebrows. I had ocular rosacea also known as blepharitis demodex. My eyelashes were falling out. My eyes felt like velcro when I blinked. I tried all the over the counter topicals like Cliradex Wipes that helped. But I could not stop using the Cliradex wipes twice a day or the mites came right back.

The Oral Metronidazole wiped out the SIBO. It was just the right antibiotic for the type of bacteria that caused my SIBO. I have had no more SIBO symptoms or demodex symptoms in the 3.5 years since I took this treatment. Once I got rid of the SIBO, the immune system in my gut went back to normal for my skin. A normal healthy immune system keeps the demodex population on the skin under control. It is the overpopulation of demodex that causes all the skin, eye and scalp issues.

I have often wondered what SIBO & SIFO do that allow the demodex to become so grossly overpopulated. Is it like some kind of super fertility effect that lets the microscopic parasites get so overpopulated? Not sure.

Print out a copy of the medical paper found at the following link below. Show it to the doctor. It is from the May 2013 issue of the International Journal of Infectious Diseases. It is a properly done medical study with 128 people. All tested positive for demodex overpopulation. This first study does not mention SIBO. The doctors were not sure why the Oral Metronidazole worked, just that it helped improve treatment with Oral Ivermectin enormously. Oral Metronidazole is highly effective (99%) against at least 2 of the bacteria that cause SIBO (Bacterioides and Eggerthella Lenta).
            "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectin–metronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum"

There is a second medical study paper from May 2013 specifically treating Rosacea patients confirmed to have SIBO. This second paper was written as a letter in the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. This study reports on using the very expensive antibiotic Rifaximin to treat Rosacea patients who also have SIBO.
            "Rosacea and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: Prevalence and response to rifaximin"

If you have blepharitis demodex the Oral Ivermectin will definitely help knock out the demodex especially in the eyelids and eye glands. The eyelids and eye glands are very difficult to treat with topicals.

Your doctor may want to order some SIBO/SIFO tests or possibly send you to a gastroenterologist for SIBO/SIFO tests. Many different types of bacteria and/or fungus can cause SIBO/SIFO. It is important to diagnose the exact bacteria and/or exact fungus that may be causing the issues. The tests can verify whether or not you have SIBO and/or SIFO. If you don't have SIBO or SIFO an oral antibiotic or oral fungal drug should not be used. These drugs are not likely to help at all unless you do have an internal gut overgrowth. The wrong drug or drugs could instead wipe out the existing good bacteria/fungus in your intestinal tract. It is important to identify the exact cause so they can prescribe the right treatment. The right drug(s) fixes what is wrong as quickly as possible without causing unnecessary stress on the immune system in the gut. Taking probiotics to rebuild the healthy bacteria in the gut is always a good idea after antibiotic treatment.

Just be aware that if demodex and gut issues are not causing your skin issues, your answers may lie elsewhere. But it is always good to rule out demodex and SIBO/SIFO since they could be causing problems for you.

I had severe peeling when I used Benzoyl Peroxide and Retin-A at super strong 10% and then 5% prescription strength. Any product that was very drying could cause me to peel.

Everyone is different as to how they react to irritants and allergens. Many people do get pink or extremely red when they have a demodex over-population. I wasn't particularly red with demodex which I believe is a major reason I got misdiagnosed so many times as having ordinary bacterial acne, allergic conjunctivitis and "gee, it must be a bug or must have been something you ate" stomach issues.
            Last edited by ElaineA; 16 September 2021, 10:25 PM. Reason: Fix typo.

Comment

You truly cannot understand how much I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this out. Thank you thank you thank you, this is unbelievably informative. I feel pretty strongly that I have demodex because anytime I have ever done any kind of natural treatment I end up with bumps covering my entire face which I assume is die off. I also have gone through phases where I lose my eyebrows as well as eyelashes. I've been tested for seb derm so I know that's not it. I think my case could be a bit complicated because of my history with severe eczema. My concern is that my face is so sensitive that i can't use any topicals. Even water irritates it. Any approach taken will need to be orally and I have to PRAY i won't have a reaction!

Comment

You truly cannot understand how much I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this out. Thank you thank you thank you, this is unbelievably informative. I feel pretty strongly that I have demodex because anytime I have ever done any kind of natural treatment I end up with bumps covering my entire face which I assume is die off. I also have gone through phases where I lose my eyebrows as well as eyelashes. I've been tested for seb derm so I know that's not it. I think my case could be a bit complicated because of my history with severe eczema. My concern is that my face is so sensitive that i can't use any topicals. Even water irritates it. Any approach taken will need to be orally and I have to PRAY i won't have a reaction!
                You are more than welcome! I just found a reference that says SIBO can also cause eczema. Based on all of your symptoms SIBO/SIFO is HIGHLY worth checking out.
                https://robinberzinmd.com/skin-issues-start-in-gut/

If for some reason your current doctor does not want to follow up on the SIBO/SIFO tests, find a new doctor who will test you. Or find a gastroenterologists who will do the SIBO/SIFO tests. When you call to make an appointment ask if the doctor will do the test. If that doctor doesn't do the test find one who will. Some have webpages posting their services, which can be helpful. For other doctors without web pages, then just ask when you call to make an appointment - the receptionist may have to ask if they don't know the answer.

My Dad was a doctor. Dad always said that if you didn't like the diagnosis or didn't think it was right get a second opinion. If the second opinion didn't seem right get a third. Doctors have different knowledge, different training and different opinions. Some are just better at not jumping to conclusions. They take the time to evaluate and do the medical tests to diagnose something out of the ordinary.

I hope this helps! I had SIBO for decades. Nobody knew what it was. I just kept getting misdiagnosed and given expensive but useless treatments. I am on a mission to educate the world to try and keep this from happening to anyone else. Best of luck to you on getting this condition resolved. Please let us know what happens one way or the other.

Comment

Wow, your dad sounds like an absolutely amazing doctor! I'm sure you continuing his legacy by educating others about health makes him extremely proud! I'm going to start searching and will hopefully be able to schedule something this coming week! I will definitely let you know how it goes, thank you so much!

Comment

You are more than welcome! I just found a reference that says SIBO can also cause eczema. Based on all of your symptoms SIBO/SIFO is HIGHLY worth checking out.
                    https://robinberzinmd.com/skin-issues-start-in-gut/

If for some reason your current doctor does not want to follow up on the SIBO/SIFO tests, find a new doctor who will test you. Or find a gastroenterologists who will do the SIBO/SIFO tests. When you call to make an appointment ask if the doctor will do the test. If that doctor doesn't do the test find one who will. Some have webpages posting their services, which can be helpful. For other doctors without web pages, then just ask when you call to make an appointment - the receptionist may have to ask if they don't know the answer.

My Dad was a doctor. Dad always said that if you didn't like the diagnosis or didn't think it was right get a second opinion. If the second opinion didn't seem right get a third. Doctors have different knowledge, different training and different opinions. Some are just better at not jumping to conclusions. They take the time to evaluate and do the medical tests to diagnose something out of the ordinary.

I hope this helps! I had SIBO for decades. Nobody knew what it was. I just kept getting misdiagnosed and given expensive but useless treatments. I am on a mission to educate the world to try and keep this from happening to anyone else. Best of luck to you on getting this condition resolved. Please let us know what happens one way or the other.
                    Lastly! Do you have a test you recommend? I've also seen at home tests. I just found a doctor in my area who uses the Quintron SIBO testing system. I'm trying to figure out which one is the best to take!

Comment

Lastly! Do you have a test you recommend? I've also seen at home tests. I just found a doctor in my area who uses the Quintron SIBO testing system. I'm trying to figure out which one is the best to take!
                      Unfortunately, I do not know which test is best. The SIBO Breath test is a good, standard screening test.

The current medical thinking is that Methane SIBO causes constipation, Hyrdogen Sulfide SIBO causes diarrhea. So that may be a helpful clue in deciding which Breath test would be best to take.

I looked up the Quintron test. It tests for Hydrogen and Methane gas. It looks like a standard medical test. Uses Glucose which is considered the best for an accurate test result.

There is a new test that checks for the 3rd type of gas, Hydrogen Sulfide. That new test just came out in 2020. I have seen one place on line, Trio Smart, that offers the 3 gas test but it has to be ordered by a doctor. If a doctor orders it for you, your insurance may cover part or all of the Trio Smart test cost. Retail Cost is listed at $289. I do not know anything else about this test if its good or not. If you test positive for Hydrogen or Methane, you might not need the Hydrogen Sulfide test. The Trio Smart Test info here https://www.triosmartbreath.com/

They can sometimes tell based on the Hydrogen - Methane test if it flatlines, that you may have Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO. It all depends on which bacteria type(s) or single cell organism (archea) is causing the problem.

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not know which test is best. The SIBO Breath test is a good, standard screening test.

The current medical thinking is that Methane SIBO causes constipation, Hyrdogen Sulfide SIBO causes diarrhea. So that may be a helpful clue in deciding which Breath test would be best to take.

I looked up the Quintron test. It tests for Hydrogen and Methane gas. It looks like a standard medical test. Uses Glucose which is considered the best for an accurate test result.

There is a new test that checks for the 3rd type of gas, Hydrogen Sulfide. That new test just came out in 2020. I have seen one place on line, Trio Smart, that offers the 3 gas test but it has to be ordered by a doctor. If a doctor orders it for you, your insurance may cover part or all of the Trio Smart test cost. Retail Cost is listed at $289. I do not know anything else about this test if its good or not. If you test positive for Hydrogen or Methane, you might not need the Hydrogen Sulfide test. The Trio Smart Test info here https://www.triosmartbreath.com/

They can sometimes tell based on the Hydrogen - Methane test if it flatlines, that you may have Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO. It all depends on which bacteria type(s) or single cell organism (archea) is causing the problem.
                        Hi!! I just got off of the phone with my dermatologist and she feels pretty strongly that I have rosacea. She did not seem open to doing a demodex test. I actually feel OK about that though because I assume that I already have it. She recommended that I apply Tranexamic acid topically. Have you heard of this? I am absolutely terrified of applying anything topically because I went through topical steroid withdrawal for five years. We are assuming that one of the reasons I have rosacea is because of long-term steroid use. I just feel like I can't trust doctors especially when it comes to topical solutions for skin issues. However I am tempted to try it because I am now feeling that my long-term diet and detox doesn't help my skin much because my blood vessels do not work properly. I have been on so many gut diets and detoxes and it has healed my body of eczema but never seems to touch my face, this helps me understand why. I feel a bit discouraged because she made it sound like there is no cure for repairing the blood vessels. She also recommended a Zyrtec spray but again, I don't think I feel comfortable trying that. She lastly recommended low-dose doxycycline. I know that will not be healthy but she says it's such a low dose it shouldn't affect my gut. I also convinced her to let me try LDN as I have seen that some people have had success with that and it seems like a safer approach.

Comment

Hi!! I just got off of the phone with my dermatologist and she feels pretty strongly that I have rosacea. She did not seem open to doing a demodex test. I actually feel OK about that though because I assume that I already have it. She recommended that I apply Tranexamic acid topically. Have you heard of this? I am absolutely terrified of applying anything topically because I went through topical steroid withdrawal for five years. We are assuming that one of the reasons I have rosacea is because of long-term steroid use. I just feel like I can't trust doctors especially when it comes to topical solutions for skin issues. However I am tempted to try it because I am now feeling that my long-term diet and detox doesn't help my skin much because my blood vessels do not work properly. I have been on so many gut diets and detoxes and it has healed my body of eczema but never seems to touch my face, this helps me understand why. I feel a bit discouraged because she made it sound like there is no cure for repairing the blood vessels. She also recommended a Zyrtec spray but again, I don't think I feel comfortable trying that. She lastly recommended low-dose doxycycline. I know that will not be healthy but she says it's such a low dose it shouldn't affect my gut. I also convinced her to let me try LDN as I have seen that some people have had success with that and it seems like a safer approach.
                          Sorry, I don't know anything about the Tranexamic acid.

I agree with you about the Doxy. Most people and medical studies say it seemed to help at first but not for very long. Some dermatologists limit the Doxy use to 8 weeks. Long term use of any antibiotic is not a good idea. My dermatologists used to hand them out like candy. Minocin a relative of Doxy eventually caused a serious auto-immune reaction for me. The Doxy could potentially mess up the gut again.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Tranexamic acid.

I agree with you about the Doxy. Most people and medical studies say it seemed to help at first but not for very long. Some dermatologists limit the Doxy use to 8 weeks. Long term use of any antibiotic is not a good idea. My dermatologists used to hand them out like candy. Minocin a relative of Doxy eventually caused a serious auto-immune reaction for me. The Doxy could potentially mess up the gut again.
                            Thanks so much for the reply! I have a holistic MD who I really trust and I'm going to speak to her about it next week! I think for now, I'm just going to work on my gut. One of the pharmacist recommended taking an enzyme three times a day to help my digestive system. She said she has a lot of rosacea customers who end up seeing a big difference after 30 days of the enzyme! I suppose it's nice to know if I have to get ready for a wedding or some thing there might be some thing that can provide me with the quick relief.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply! I have a holistic MD who I really trust and I'm going to speak to her about it next week! I think for now, I'm just going to work on my gut. One of the pharmacist recommended taking an enzyme three times a day to help my digestive system. She said she has a lot of rosacea customers who end up seeing a big difference after 30 days of the enzyme! I suppose it's nice to know if I have to get ready for a wedding or some thing there might be some thing that can provide me with the quick relief.
                              Working on the gut sounds like a great idea! The enzyme sounds interesting.

When you referred to blood vessel issues, is redness or broken capillaries an issue for you now?

I've done IPL, Redness Resolve (IPL + Erbium Laser treatment on veins) and RF Microneedling for overall redness and a patch of visible veins in one area. I've also done 3 Erbium Laser Resurfacing treatments. All have helped. Some people have not found these treatments as helpful as others.

IPL seems good for surface redness and some small capillaries. The Redness Resolve treatment is an Erbium spot treatment on more prominent vein areas followed by an overall IPL treatment.

Multiple RF Microneedling treatments can be helpful for the redness and veins of Rosacea. RF microneedling is not the same as regular microneedling. The RF is for the Radio Frequency transmitted through the tiny needles used in the microneedling process. You can google to find before and after pictures of RF Microneedling to treat rosacea. It can take 3-6 treatments to break up the Redness using RF Microneedling treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X