Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controling The Scalp Demodex Level - Advice Required

Hello!

I've been fighting with scalp acnee for a few years now. I recently found out that the cause behind it is the demodex and my weak immunity due to the low level of vitamin D.

I've been to numerous doctors and tried more treatments that I can remember ( I'll write down the ones that I can remember of ).

Now, I'm getting to lose faith in doctors and I'm trying to see how other people that are having this condition can keep the demodex number under control.

So far, I'm only having them on my scalp.

I'll write now my short history and the treatments I've followed:

- 2 and a half years ago I went to a doctor because I was having a serious problem with acnee on my face. Since I can remember I was washing my hair once a day, and the doctor asked me about how I'm treating my hair ( at the moment I wasn't having any problem with my scalp or hair at all, I went there for face acnee ). He recommended me only to use Bioderma Node DS 3 times a week to normalize my oily hair, 3 months of Doxycycline and to locally use Duac Gel (based on benzoyl peroxide). After taking that treatment, my scalp acnee was gone, but my hair became dry. I was happy altogether, I was occasionally using the Duac Gel when needed.

- After 2 months of finishing the treatment, I started to have a few bumps on my head. (some were really painful, and on the area that was hurting the most I lost my hair for a few months). Wasn't not sure what it was. Went to a doctor 3 months later when I started getting little bumps all over my head, filled with pus. The doctor has tested me 3 times for the golden staphylococcus, which was never found. I was recommended to use daily Klorane Shampoo for babies and 1 month of Doxycycline.
    While taking the Doxycycline everything was fine, I had close to no bumps on my scalp, but a week later after finishing the treatment, the situation only got worse. Went again to the same doctor and convinced me to take 2 months of Doxycycline. Everything good during treatament, worse situation after.

- After finishing this last treatment my situation became so bad that I couldn't sleep because my head was hurting too much when it was touching the pillow. I ended up using a neck pillow and sleep straight for a while and taking some painkillers. It was horrible.

- That's when I started googling and started mixing Neem Oil and TTO with the Klorane Shampoo (daily) and making eggs, lemon and vinegar masks (2 times a week). I also started using locally Zynerit. I stopped washing my hair with simple water, instead I was using Chamomile Tee to wash my hair, hoping it would calm the inflamation. Each night I was also cleaning my scalp with Rubbing alcohol. No result, things remained the same. I was also taking Kanuka Honey at the time.

- Went to another doctor, I was again recommended Doxycycline and I refused it, then I was recommended 3 months of Tetracycline Capsule. Everything good during treatment, and when I finished it, it was summer. As time went by I was so surprised to see that I wasn't having any problem with my scalp anymore, no bumps at all. It was a blast! I could finally exercise without worrying of making my condition worse, I was full of life again.

- Autumn came and with it my scalp acnee too, not as harsh as the last time though. Went to another doctor, recommended me 1 mont of Tetracycline. Everything good during treatment, but soon after finishing it, the acnee came back. I took a lot of tests and they found out that I have demodex on my scalp and that my vitamine D level is low. They recommended me to use Kelual DS Shampoo twice a week, Blue Cap for a month, Vitamine B, Vitamine C, Zinc, Omega 3. The situation was okay during this time, acceptable, I was having 20 or so bumps on my scalp. The doctor also recommended me Soolantra for my face, because she noticed that I was having an oily skin and dark spots on the T zone (a few bumps, 3 or 4 on my face, nothing to worry about), but I refused to use it, as I was afraid not to worsen my face situation, as the 3-4 bumps didn't disturb me that much.

- After 1 month of using this treatment, went to the doctor which recommended me to take a low dosage of Doxycycline for a month, gave me a local farmacy made solution that was supposed to kill the demodex, and continued using the Kelual DS Shampoo twice a week. After finishing the treatment, my situation got worse. WAY WORSE! I was back at square one.

- Now I was recommended to keep using the Kelual DS Shampoo, combined with Blue Cap, a local solution for 2 months and 3 months of Vitamine D suppliments, but my situation is really harsh. Currently I'm having like 60 or 70 bumps on my scalp, it hurts a lot (it's not itchy though).

That's my history. What can you advise me regarding my scalp situation? How can I keep it under control? Or if possible, how can I get rid of the demodex?

My facial Demodex Mites moved to my scalp above my ears after eliminating them on my face with ZZ Cream.

I had severe itching for a few months and then developed pustules, which is when I knew it was Demodex. I used a local anaesthetic cream at times to help until I figured out it was Demodex, and then started tackling the problem.

Applying ZZ Cream would remedy the problem, but I prefer using it on my face due to the cost.

I then bought sulfur ointment which helped, but didn't eliminate them.

What ended up working for me was Denorex Extra Strength Coal Tar Shampoo. I'm now Demodex free for a month.

Hope this helps.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Thank you for your answer!

I've seen some of your posts, especially the one where you describe your evolution while using the ZZ cream and I'm glad to hear and see that you're fine now and that you're having things under control.

I've ordered the Denorex shampoo, hoping I will get it soon. How many times a week were you washing your hair? Which do you think helped more : washing your hair daily, or twice a week?
      I understand the fact that washing your hair daily also makes the glands create more sebum, but at the same time keeps the scalp cleaners. But, if you're washing your hair twice a week or so, you may keep your sebum production under control a little, with the risk of not having such a clean scalp. (I'm currently having oily hair)

If I may ask, what was your experience with oral antibiotics? Did you find it to make the situation worse on the long term?

By the way, I'm also having asthma and I'm allergic to dust and mold. Do you think it has anything to do with the demodex outbreak on my scalp?

Comment

Originally posted by Reztor View Post
        Thank you for your answer!

I've seen some of your posts, especially the one where you describe your evolution while using the ZZ cream and I'm glad to hear and see that you're fine now and that you're having things under control.

I've ordered the Denorex shampoo, hoping I will get it soon. How many times a week were you washing your hair? Which do you think helped more : washing your hair daily, or twice a week?
        I understand the fact that washing your hair daily also makes the glands create more sebum, but at the same time keeps the scalp cleaners. But, if you're washing your hair twice a week or so, you may keep your sebum production under control a little, with the risk of not having such a clean scalp. (I'm currently having oily hair)

If I may ask, what was your experience with oral antibiotics? Did you find it to make the situation worse on the long term?

By the way, I'm also having asthma and I'm allergic to dust and mold. Do you think it has anything to do with the demodex outbreak on my scalp?
        I wash my hair daily. You can use Denorex daily, or every other day. The first couple of times you'll feel a cold, tingly sensation. You can also expect your scalp to potentially 'peel' a little in the beginning, almost like dandruff.

At the moment I alternate between Denorex every other day, and Mane 'n Tail every other day.

I hope it works for you.

Tetralysal antibiotics cured my pustules, however I remained red. I reckon it also affected my gut health from the long term use. Stay away.

It could be that you have a weaker immune system which definitely aids Demodex Mites. It seems that people with lower immune systems have many more Demodex Mites than normal people, i.e. an infestation.
        How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Working...
        X