• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JennAdeleK
    replied
    Originally posted by Ali.mc View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm a 17 year old girl who is desperately looking for some advice or skincare- I'd love to know the best moisturizers, cleansers and serums for rosacea. I'm currently using neutrogenas makeup removing foaming cleanser, which I like, but I thought there might be something better. I also have pale skin so any sunscreen recommendations would be good. Also, if you have any ideas for treatments, I'd love to hear them- I detail what I've tried below.
    A bit of history:
    I was diagnosed with pustopapicular rosacea about 10 months ago after having awful red bumps and flaky skin around my mouth, accompanied by a few bumps on my forehead. I'd never had acne or any skin issues at all before, so obviously having rosacea is pretty hard :/
    I was given metronidazole gel to use, and it completely cleared up the bumps around my mouth in a month or so. The forehead bumps persisted, but I wasn't too worried because they weren't nearly as bad. They started getting a bit worse around four months ago so I went back to my doctor and was given some antibiotic cream along with tablets. It helped a little but not noticeably. The redness also made me super self conscious so I started using foundation every day which I never used to do, so I imagine this made it worse. I've stopped in the last couple of weeks but I still do if I'm going out at night etc.
    I've now started using the metronidazole again (about two weeks ago?) to see if that helps since it worked on my mouth the first time, and I think the bumps are a maybe little better. Lately my skins gotten a bit flaky and I'm experiencing some breakouts, including around my mouth again, but this might be from the cold weather (I'm in South America for a couple of months but I'm from Australia). I'm wondering if maybe the forehead bumps aren't even rosacea, considering they have been much more persistent than the rosacea around my mouth was.
    Anyways, I'd love to hear about the best treatments you've found to really kick this cause I'm super sick of being self conscious about my skin I used to have great skin and I'd love to be able to stop wearing makeup again. Also skincare recommendations, since google is not very helpful!
    Hey there! My rosacea might be a bit different than yours, as my new derm recently said I have subtype 1 and not subtype 2 rosacea, but I'll go ahead and share what works for me... just in case it might be helpful in any way to you:

1. Go to rosacea.org and request 1-2 trigger trackers and begin tracking your diet and lifestyle triggers. Knowing what your triggers are, and then avoiding them, will help a lot.

2. I stopped wearing makeup when I was diagnosed. For me, any sort of cover up seemed to make my rosacea angry, so I just had to stop it all together. Not sure if this is your situation, but you might want to try giving your skin a break from makeup for a while. I also don't wear any sunscreen on my skin, but I do use a hat and parasol when outdoors to protect myself and cover up. I've yet to find a sunscreen for me that isn't irritating.

3. I wash my face 2x per day with raw honey (it's so gentle and healing), and I moisturize 2-3 times a day with pure, organic aloe vera gel. If my lips should happen to get a little dry, I will use a touch of original Vaseline on them, but nothing else.

4. Red light therapy has been amazing at helping to control my remaining symptoms. I do it 2x per day here at home for 3-5 minutes per session, depending on what my skin feels like it needs that day.

5. My new derm also just recommended that I add in blue light therapy as well. She says the combo may give me even better results than just the red alone. I haven't done this yet, but I'm considering it at the moment.

Anyway, there are lots of options out there for you to try, and the folks on these forums can give some really great advice. Glad you are here!

Leave a comment:

• Ali.mc
    started a topic Newbie- need skincare advice!

Newbie- need skincare advice!

Hi all!
    I'm a 17 year old girl who is desperately looking for some advice or skincare- I'd love to know the best moisturizers, cleansers and serums for rosacea. I'm currently using neutrogenas makeup removing foaming cleanser, which I like, but I thought there might be something better. I also have pale skin so any sunscreen recommendations would be good. Also, if you have any ideas for treatments, I'd love to hear them- I detail what I've tried below.
    A bit of history:
    I was diagnosed with pustopapicular rosacea about 10 months ago after having awful red bumps and flaky skin around my mouth, accompanied by a few bumps on my forehead. I'd never had acne or any skin issues at all before, so obviously having rosacea is pretty hard :/
    I was given metronidazole gel to use, and it completely cleared up the bumps around my mouth in a month or so. The forehead bumps persisted, but I wasn't too worried because they weren't nearly as bad. They started getting a bit worse around four months ago so I went back to my doctor and was given some antibiotic cream along with tablets. It helped a little but not noticeably. The redness also made me super self conscious so I started using foundation every day which I never used to do, so I imagine this made it worse. I've stopped in the last couple of weeks but I still do if I'm going out at night etc.
    I've now started using the metronidazole again (about two weeks ago?) to see if that helps since it worked on my mouth the first time, and I think the bumps are a maybe little better. Lately my skins gotten a bit flaky and I'm experiencing some breakouts, including around my mouth again, but this might be from the cold weather (I'm in South America for a couple of months but I'm from Australia). I'm wondering if maybe the forehead bumps aren't even rosacea, considering they have been much more persistent than the rosacea around my mouth was.
    Anyways, I'd love to hear about the best treatments you've found to really kick this cause I'm super sick of being self conscious about my skin I used to have great skin and I'd love to be able to stop wearing makeup again. Also skincare recommendations, since google is not very helpful!
Working...
X