Is rosacea always progressive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is rosacea always progressive?

Heyo everyone! This question has been nagging me for a while (and also worrying me) because everywhere I read about it they say it's a chronic progressive disease. So does that mean that it's all down hill once your diagnosed unless you can find products to manage it? Personally I've never really found products that helped soo.... I'm wondering whether this disease is always progressive? Cause thats a good way to make you feel like you're doomed! Lol
    Thanks

Originally posted by Capture531 View Post
    Heyo everyone! This question has been nagging me for a while (and also worrying me) because everywhere I read about it they say it's a chronic progressive disease. So does that mean that it's all down hill once your diagnosed unless you can find products to manage it? Personally I've never really found products that helped soo.... I'm wondering whether this disease is always progressive? Cause thats a good way to make you feel like you're doomed! Lol
    Thanks
    Hi, Rosacea is progressive if left untreated. That's the key thing most definitions of rosacea leave out. I had the same concern early on myself. But with treatment, rosacea can improve and/or go into remission. So don't worry. You're not doomed! It takes patience to find the treatment that works best for you. But you'll get there!

Comment

Sure ?

Hey hg, long time now how are you doing ? Have you keep it up with botox treatment ?

I'm just poppin' in because I found Capture's question very important, as it has been a great source of anxiety for me at the beginning of this disease - and I'm sure for a lot of other too !

I know you have great insight on all of this hg, or at least experience, so I may ask : are you sure of this ??

First, are you sure that with a good treatment rosacea becomes somewhat "unprogressive" ?

And are you sure that without treatment it has to be progressive ?

I'm asking this very genuinely - with a faulty grammar and vocab so sorry for that and sorry if I don't sound as I want to. So just in case, I'm respectful of everyone here (ou presque) because all of this is unbearable and if you are still here, it is because you somehow manage to bear it, plus I'm sure you helped many here included myself) - because I personnaly don't "treat" myself. I treated in the past (antibiotics and clonidine mostly) but have stopped now and focus on the triggers' management. Is that sort of a treatment btw ?

Well, hope you'll answer,
      Good luck as to all !

Comment

Originally posted by Des Esseintes View Post
        Hey hg, long time now how are you doing ? Have you keep it up with botox treatment ?

I'm just poppin' in because I found Capture's question very important, as it has been a great source of anxiety for me at the beginning of this disease - and I'm sure for a lot of other too !

I know you have great insight on all of this hg, or at least experience, so I may ask : are you sure of this ??

First, are you sure that with a good treatment rosacea becomes somewhat "unprogressive" ?

And are you sure that without treatment it has to be progressive ?

I'm asking this very genuinely - with a faulty grammar and vocab so sorry for that and sorry if I don't sound as I want to. So just in case, I'm respectful of everyone here (ou presque) because all of this is unbearable and if you are still here, it is because you somehow manage to bear it, plus I'm sure you helped many here included myself) - because I personnaly don't "treat" myself. I treated in the past (antibiotics and clonidine mostly) but have stopped now and focus on the triggers' management. Is that sort of a treatment btw ?

Well, hope you'll answer,
        Good luck as to all !
        Yeah, I also wonder the same! Cause honestly I have rosacea and dermatitis which seems hard to treat at the same time. All the treatments I try make it worse. It looks the best when I sorta leave it alone but it never goes away. Sooo since I've tried dozens of things and nothing works..... I just wonder if I will kinda be doomed lol I've tried special rosacea brands, soolantra, sulphur, ovace, clyndimiacin lotion, antifungals, oracea,noble formula, supplements, restricted diets..... nothing leaves a dent. It's not severe, it's mild. I'm only 24 and it started when I was 19 sooooo I'm kinda at a loss.

Comment

Hello friends! Well I'm no medical doctor. I've done tons o' research on rosacea and that is where I've read repeatedly that it progresses if left untreated. You might want to google that yourself to feel some reassurance. the notion that people wouldn't treat it comes from earlier times, particularly people in rural areas and/or those with no to minimal access to medical care. Particularly the folks with rhinophyma. You can google some of those photos of older folks who have severely bad cases of it after years left untreated.

The important point the medical community is stressing I guess is that rosacea, like many diseases and conditions, is not like a cold. Colds will resolve on their own. But rosacea needs intervention to manage the symptoms. Your goal is to control/manage rosacea and if lucky, find remission. But the researchers consider it "incurable" even though many people find permament relief.

I wouldn't worry so much about al of that. It worried me early on, too. I focused on that word "progressive," too. But that just added more stress for me. Once I researched and realized that this was largely if I tied my hands behind my back and did nothing, I relaxed.

Yes, managing triggers is a big part of treatment. Some folks who, say are farmers, and have no choice but to be outside in the sun, may not be able/willing to forego that big trigger because of their livelihood. Hence, they get worse when repeatedly exposed to the sun.

The Botox provided some relief, but I decided to stop because 1) good golly, it was painful. Lots of needle pokes and anesthetic cream did squat for me. And 2) was super expensive - 2 or 3 times the cost of one laser treatment.

For those that don't know, I had rosacea severely. Had to stop working and was practically housebound. I started out with type 2 - the papules and pustules. The week after that went away I became type 1 - a flusher. When I flushed, my whole face turned maroon. It was deep and I had lots of burning and stinging. It wasn't purty!

So as you can imagine, lots of doctors, lots of treatments that didn't work, lots of researching on the net for anything - meds, home remedies, witchcraft, etc.

I'm definitely better now. But I still have rosacea. I would say I've gone from super severe to moderate to mild. Daily it's better, but I still am working each day to manage it, as I still get some flushing now and then. But overall, I've learned some things, after a lot of trial and error, that help me manage this beast.

Lasers - I had a billion of them. Many were worthless because the derms weren't aggressive enough. I don't believe that bruising treatments makes a diff, though understand some think they do. For me, no. But one quick pass of zaps at one depth doesn't do the trick either. And that's what I was getting. I finally found a derm about a year and half ago who slapped me around good with the laser. She used two, actually - a Vbeam and Laser Genesis. She did multiple passes at different depths (I don't know my settings; never asked). I started seeing improvement after the second treatment or so. Helped with flushing and some redness.

MSM - I also started taking MSM, a sulfur supplement and began using a lotion with MSM in it. This one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY47L8 There are several other brands of MSM lotion and cream, though. So don't think this one is magic. The MSM helped calm my skin and as a result, helped ease the intensity of the redness and helped with occasional breakouts.

Diet - I went keto. A very low carb diet (20-25 carbs a day). Was actually quite easy - says the girl who loves to eat carbs! Making sure I ate healthy fat and protein throughout the day kept me from feeling deprived and hungry. Really upped my protein. Plus, to stay sane I cheated once a week or so - so I want pure keto. I didn't worry about whether or not I was in ketosis. I focused on keeping the bad carbs away so I could loweR inflammation.

Water - Also drank tons o' water daily. Water is key! Is the only thing I drink other than green tea and a little coffee.

Those are the main things that have helped. I also began walking every day. But because of the sun prob, I walked on a treadmill and sometimes, just walked around the inside of my hose while watching/listening to TV. I didn't "work out" intensely. Just do enough (30 mins usually) to up my breathing and relieve stress. This also improved my sleep. Which, with everything else, improved my night flushing.

I'd say my main focus was on quieting everything - quieting inflammation in my systems - my skin, gut/digestion, brain/nervous system, etc.

One thing to mention that I'm using now - just started in the last two weeks, is tea tree oil. I'm in Europe at the moment - and have been eating non keto! Very carby and lots of cheese, milk. My rosacea went nutso! Flushing and breakout city! So I bought some tee trea oil and put a few drops in my MSM lotion. That really helped. Then I also lowered the carbs and cut dairy.

Capture - have you tried the tea tree oil treatment for your seb derm? You might google about it if not. Seems to have helped some folks.

I know rosacea sucks. I've cried many a tear over it and I still hate it. I'm hoping I can get into remission one day. But the biggest lesson I've learned is that will only happen if I do the research and have the patience to tackle this condition myself. Doctors just don't seem well trained in this disease. And every treatment seemed worth a try and my patience if I wanted to get better.

I'm think I've read probably 90 percent of this forum many times over. If you do the same, you'll see that some rosaceans respond certain treatments while others respond to something else. The treatment plan for you can be very different to someone else.

I also learned from the forum that many, many people with rosacea have come through these pages disheartened and frustrated - only to fade away after finding a way to manage it or achieve the ultimate prize of remission.

So again, it may take time and a lot of frustration. But commit yourself to finding your way out of this and you will find what works for you. That's what I'm doing. Hope this novella was helpful.

The other option is that we can all go set up our own country together on some faraway island. Redtopia! National bird: Red Robin?

Comment

Hi hg, thanks a lot for taking time to write such a report !

Don't know why, but I always thought you're a guy...
            Well good luck and thanks again !

Comment

Working...
            X