No announcement yet.

Help please! Best products in Canada ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! Best products in Canada ?

Hi everyone,
    I'm newly diagnosed with p and p rosacea with an ocular component as well. I have always used harsh products on my skin thinking it was acne (salicylic acid benzoyl peroxide etc). I need to start over with everything from face wash to moisturizer and need help for suggestions. I don't particularly like cetaphil and am okay with splurging on a product if it's worthwhile. If anyone can recommend an awesome and gentle moisturizer and face wash I would be forever grateful! Bonus points for anything that helps with the awful burning sensation.
    If anyone can help I will be sure to return the favour to another "newbie" down the road!

Hi BBE,

I found the Cetaphil cleanser too irritating to use even though it was recommended by my dermatologist. I now wash with La Roche Posay Toleriane cleanser which doesn’t bother my skin at all - you can get it at Shopper's Drug Mart in the specialty skin care aisle.

For a moisturizer I’m using GlaxalBase moisturizer which was recommended by a pharmacist. My topical creams (Metrocream and Rosiver) can be very drying, so when it gets really bad I use Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment, which has a Vaseline-like texture.

For sunscreen I'm using the Avene Eau Thermale 50 SPF sunscreen for intolerant skin. I haven't had to use it yet, but have spot-tested it a couple of times. It feels nice on the skin, though it is tinted. I'm looking forward to a sunny, WARM weekend here in Ottawa to try it out full-face. This is also at Shoppers in the specialty skin care aisle.

I'm not sure what to recommend for the burning sensation. However I was getting itchy patches on my face last week and they seem to respond well to antihistamines - since I took one Reactine pill I haven't had any in two days (knock on wood).

Hope that gives you a few ideas!

Comment

Can you order from states? I am sure that there are plenty of cosmetics on amazon. Try Weleda!

Comment

Are you allergic to anything? This is very important. If you’re not allergic to anything then I would suggest Bioderma cosmetics or Clinique. Both of them are French brands and have been developed by dermatologists. It’s pretty hard to find them, and they are quite expensive but believe me, the effort is worth it. The most exciting part is that it’s just a basic skincare routine which does not involve anything complicated. Make sure you do not use any products that have alcohol. I hope this will help you!
        Last edited by Rosylyinter; 2 June 2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I would do patch testing and see an allergist in addition to dermatologist. THere are different levels of patch testing, depending on the number of allergens. I think only NYU offers the most complete patch testing of 120+ allergens if you are desperate. Otherwise I think places test for 50 or 70 allergens. Not that allergen X is causing all this for you, but to know to avoid anything you're allergic to because it all adds up.

I cannot tolerate topicals or sunscreens either. Can you tolerate vaseline - eg elta md makes one that can glide over the skin. I wear a hat for sun and have tinted car windows for sun protection (also never really outside). I can tolerate La Roche Posay cleanser but honestly the rubbing motion and temp change of water (eg if I do the same washing motion without the cleanser) is too painful for me. I cannot tolerate bioderma actually but used to. Usually cetaphil / vanicream are the go-to for sensitive skin but one of my derms think some people can react to even those.

Either way we are thinking of trying some of the new atopic dermatitis topicals like RUX while avoiding any compounding ingredient that I am allergic to (on my back). If I'm allergic to anything on my back, the doc does not want to put it in a compounded anti-inflammatory topical on my face. But right now docs think I need anti-inflammatories (carefully compounded topical and systemic) to bring down the inflammation and general burning sensations for me - night burning and burning to topicals and to ... air :/

good luck
          Last edited by laser_cat; 3 June 2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
            I would do patch testing and see an allergist in addition to dermatologist. THere are different levels of patch testing, depending on the number of allergens. I think only NYU offers the most complete patch testing of 120+ allergens if you are desperate. Otherwise I think places test for 50 or 70 allergens. Not that allergen X is causing all this for you, but to know to avoid anything you're allergic to because it all adds up.

I cannot tolerate topicals or sunscreens either. Can you tolerate vaseline - eg elta md makes one that can glide over the skin. I wear a hat for sun and have tinted car windows for sun protection (also never really outside). I can tolerate La Roche Posay cleanser but honestly the rubbing motion and temp change of water (eg if I do the same washing motion without the cleanser) is too painful for me. I cannot tolerate bioderma actually but used to. Usually cetaphil / vanicream are the go-to for sensitive skin but one of my derms think some people can react to even those.

Either way we are thinking of trying some of the new atopic dermatitis topicals like RUX while avoiding any compounding ingredient that I am allergic to (on my back). If I'm allergic to anything on my back, the doc does not want to put it in a compounded anti-inflammatory topical on my face. But right now docs think I need anti-inflammatories (carefully compounded topical and systemic) to bring down the inflammation and general burning sensations for me - night burning and burning to topicals and to ... air :/

good luck
            Thanks for advice.

Comment

Working...
            X