Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protopic Caused Broken Capillaries? + Getting New Broken Capillaries Every Few Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protopic Caused Broken Capillaries? + Getting New Broken Capillaries Every Few Weeks

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for about 4 months but this is my first time posting.

I apologize for the long read but I just really want to clearly explain my story to assist those who try to offer advice.

A bit of background on my skin. I have dehydrated skin. I have subtype 1 rosacea on my cheeks and seborrheic dermatitis on the sides of my nose.

6 months ago I damaged my epidermis (skin barrier) through using harsh skin care products and since then have had dehydrated skin. I'd wanted to start taking care of myself better so I felt skincare was a good place to start. I didn't know my skin type, and knew nothing about skincare. I'd honestly never suffered from any serious issues with my skin. I used my sisters skincare products which suited her face (oily/combination) but obviously were not right for mine. Over the course of 3 weeks my face became tight. I would stop using her products but was still left with a face that felt slightly tight. It was also shortly after this that I saw a dermatologist who told me I had both rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. A week later, I tried a moisturizer I used to occasionally use when my face felt dry after a hot shower and thought everything would go back to normal... nope. I ended up breaking out on my forehead after a week, and after stopping the use of the moisturizer, I realized it had been the cause. This was June 7.

From June-July I stopped thinking about my skin. I was on vacation and had been working tremendously hard without vacations for a longtime so I felt I deserved the rest, plus my skin didn't feel that bad and aside from the tightness and a little redness on my nose, my face was relatively the same as before.

At the end of July, I started getting red patches of skin near my nose (I'd say on my upper cheek near my nose, but right below the skin under my eyes). The red patches were also flaky, the kind of greasy flakes that is common with seborrheic dermatitis. I also had red flaky skin on the upper sides of my nostril. After seeing it get progressively worse over a week I decided to use the protopic (tacrolimus 0.1) my dermatologist had gave me for the SD on the sides of my nose. On my left side, the red patch went away, without a trace. On the upper sides of my nostrils, the flakiness went away and the redness was reduced. my skin wasn't quite white, but it wasn't the light red either, it nearly matched my skin tone and the difference was only noticeable if you looked right up at the area. However, on the right side of my face, the red patch had gone away, but had left a slightly red patch of skin. Thinking that the dermatitis was still there, I kept putting the protopic for another 4 days and the area did not improve. At this point, I did not notice any broken capillaries in these areas, but I also wasn't checking for any so they could have been there.

As of the last 2 weeks I began to learn more about broken capillaries and started to check my face for any. I noticed in this red patch (which has since faded away pretty well, still appearing slightly red though) that I have a few very small broken capillaries. As a matter of fact, on every area that I put the protopic, I seem to have a few very tiny broken capillaries. They are not red or blue. The only clear red one I have is where the red patch was that I just described. Some of the broken capillaries are a very light purple that are very difficult to see even in natural lighting and up close on a mirror. I have a few others which are very, very small and thin, but appear to be a light red.

It seems like every time I look at my face I find that the capillaries are getting slightly darker or I see a new one.

I am very close to fixing my dehydrated skin as I've spot tested the correct products (hada labo hyaluronic acid serum and la roche posay toleriane fluide) for a few weeks with no breakouts or irritation. It will take about 2 weeks to hydrate my skin and return it to normal (my skin type is normal). BUT, I'm terrified of these broken capillaries and the fact that I've read they will get worse.

I read so many horror stories from lasers and I'm terrified to further ruin my skin by using them but I know the capillaries will get worse over time.

If anyone had any advice, please let me know.

Thank you
Working...
X