Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii

Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me. Within in the last 5 years, I was first diagnosed with rosacea. Took the meds, used the creams, nothing worked. Honestly, I think the topicals made things worse. My condition continued to worsen. I went for a 2nd opinion. This doctor took one look at me & told me he didn't believe it was Rosacea, but he thought I had KPRF. He gave me a steroid cream (which I refused to use because I heard bad things about it) & Protopic. I used Protopic twice & my face exploded in redness. Here I am a couple years later, hoping if I treated my skin gently it would clear up on it's own. Boy was I wrong. It has gotten so much worse. The redness is permanent & the flushing & burning have all but ruined my life. My cheeks hurt so bad that I basically sit at work off/on holding a cup of ice water against them. They feel like a blow torch is on them all of the time. The redness has gotten so bad that I can't even cover it up with makeup. I also have it on my chin & it has recently started to spread down my neck. Is this even possible?

My question is, is there ANYTHING at all that can be done? Any relief? Most lotions/creams hurt my face. I wash with CeraVe & that seems to be ok. I know in a world where so many other important things are happening, it almost feels silly for me to feel so down about this. But it has totally changed my life. I've stopped exercising, going outside in the sun. And it really hasn't done me any good, because it's 100%+ worse than it was 5 years ago. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to go on looking/feeling like this. I cry all of the time & I am embarrassed to even have my husband see my face. It's disgusting. I've attached some pictures....hoping someone can lend some advice. I went from nice skin to it being completely ruined. The inflammation & heat in my face is unbearable. Thank you for listening.

Oh, one more thing. I'm currently on Propranolol. 60mg slow release & it is doing nothing at all. And I had 3 IPL treatments 3 years ago (when I thought it was Rosacea. It made it worse).
    Attached Files

I have KPRF from 15 years of age. IMHO, Your pictures do not show the KPRF. It is rather something else. Maybe Seb Derm?
    Do you have KP on the body? Triceps, biceps, thighs, buttocks?

Comment

Hi Poppe - Thank you for your response. Yes, I have KP on the back of my triceps. I've had it for as long as I can remember. I am 39 years old & just started having facial skin issues about 5 years ago. I assumed KPRF was the right diagnosis since I have a dull patch right in the middle of my cheeks, surrounded by redness. If I run my hands across my cheeks, they are a tad bumpy, but not too much. The heat, burning & redness is crippling me.

Comment

Oh, it changes everything. You have KP on the body. So I think doctor, may be right that this is the KPRF. But your KPRF is very gentle compared to my.
        Unfortunately, today there is no cure. The etymology of the KPRF is not yet deeply explored. Doctors do not know where it comes from. More and more people suffer from this ailment. Maybe finally someone takes it seriously.

Burning, hot explosion etc. is connected with impaired with the sympathetic system.
        Propranolol taking 3x20mg / day? Dermatologist so instructed?

Comment

My general doctor has me on Propranolol right now until I could get in to see my dermatologist. I go on Thursday but have absolutely zero confidence he will be able to do anything for me. Is your KPRF under control or is yours constantly red? I see you've had V-Beam. Did that work for you?

Comment

Yeah that definitely appears to be KPRF, but it looks pretty mild in the photos you provided. Most cases I've come across generally began during adolescence, so it's rather odd that you first noticed in mid 30s.

You can try Vbeam laser to help lighten the baselines redness. It doesn't seem to work for everyone though. I've tried 4 non-purpuric treatments and I barely noticed any results.

Comment

Hello,

your redness is similar to mine. I was diagnosed as rosacea, but many suggested I have kprf on here. So I have found something that seems to be helping a bit with the redness. Sulpher. I started with Selsun Blue shampoo, and had seen a difference. I am now on Prosacea- which is over the counter. I use a gentle cleanser and then put this on. I have been treating for 3 months now. It is slow, but I am seeing a change. I really think diet is a BIG issue- you can read A LOT about gut health on here. If you stay away from sugar, that has helped a lot of people. repairing the gut has helped for many.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather5 View Post
                Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me. Within in the last 5 years, I was first diagnosed with rosacea. Took the meds, used the creams, nothing worked. Honestly, I think the topicals made things worse. My condition continued to worsen. I went for a 2nd opinion. This doctor took one look at me & told me he didn't believe it was Rosacea, but he thought I had KPRF. He gave me a steroid cream (which I refused to use because I heard bad things about it) & Protopic. I used Protopic twice & my face exploded in redness. Here I am a couple years later, hoping if I treated my skin gently it would clear up on it's own. Boy was I wrong. It has gotten so much worse. The redness is permanent & the flushing & burning have all but ruined my life. My cheeks hurt so bad that I basically sit at work off/on holding a cup of ice water against them. They feel like a blow torch is on them all of the time. The redness has gotten so bad that I can't even cover it up with makeup. I also have it on my chin & it has recently started to spread down my neck. Is this even possible?

My question is, is there ANYTHING at all that can be done? Any relief? Most lotions/creams hurt my face. I wash with CeraVe & that seems to be ok. I know in a world where so many other important things are happening, it almost feels silly for me to feel so down about this. But it has totally changed my life. I've stopped exercising, going outside in the sun. And it really hasn't done me any good, because it's 100%+ worse than it was 5 years ago. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to go on looking/feeling like this. I cry all of the time & I am embarrassed to even have my husband see my face. It's disgusting. I've attached some pictures....hoping someone can lend some advice. I went from nice skin to it being completely ruined. The inflammation & heat in my face is unbearable. Thank you for listening.

Oh, one more thing. I'm currently on Propranolol. 60mg slow release & it is doing nothing at all. And I had 3 IPL treatments 3 years ago (when I thought it was Rosacea. It made it worse).
                Hi ! And welcome to the forum . I am not a Derm so I can not say for sure what you have . But if it is KP. Derma Doctor makes a skin care line for this condition . I know because my little boy has KP on his arms and face . He is to young to use the products on his face . But we have used the scrub and lotion on his arms for 2 years once a day after his bath at night . Now two laters later I do n ot even use the cream any more as his arms have cleared up so nicely . His face has gotten better on his own . But I had read in a forum once that moms had given there kids omega 3 supplements to help with KP . So a few years ago I changed his morning multi vitamin to once with alot of omega 3's . I can not say for sure which did the trick . All I know is I did stop the cream and continue with the same vitamin . And things have gotten much much better . I know you are not a child but one or both of these things may help . Just be faithful with it to if you try the creams or vitamins with omegas .

Comment

Originally posted by Heather5 View Post
                  My general doctor has me on Propranolol right now until I could get in to see my dermatologist. I go on Thursday but have absolutely zero confidence he will be able to do anything for me. Is your KPRF under control or is yours constantly red? I see you've had V-Beam. Did that work for you?
                  No, I not had treatments vBeam. My information are based only on what I read on the internet. KPRF hard to have under control. Because the main reason that evokes KPRF is not known to us ... ;(

Comment

Working...
                  X