No announcement yet.

Steroid Induced Rosacea - Severe Flushing, Redness and Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am always "amazed" at how little responsibility those doctors are held accountable! people who drive cars and accidently hit and hurt someone are always held accontable; then why not those f-cking doctors who prescribe steroid like napkin dispenser and those f-cking doctors who zap people with lasers without carefully consider the patients full history snd skin conditions but just want to "collect" more patients/laser sessions and make money!!! those doctors' crimes are way more severe than drivers who hurt people during accidents!!!

how long did you wait between the steroid (hydrocortisone) cream and that ipl? do you mind of sharing the reason that you chose ipl instead of some pdl (eg vbeam, ktp, yag) initially? have you tried any pdl after that ipl then?

Originally posted by nat007 View Post
    You might be right. I never fully understood what happened there and how I could go from no flushing to getting a flushed face most evenings or from a host of triggers.It might be indeed what you just wrote, that these steroids get to some people sooner than to others. The ****ty thing is; you can't turn it back, you can't 'undo' the few days of steroid cream use. I looked up teenage pictures lately to look for signs of early rosacea there and the only thing I found was a drunk night on holiday where I had some mild redness on the upper cheeks from the alcohol. Nothing I could notice unless I looked in a mirror, no obvious flush heat and burning. That all started right after the steroid use.

Yeh I had an unhappy IPL experience. I have a lot of pictures on the blog, thnx for reading btw, and as those pictures show, I did have redness and flushing before the IPL. But mainly on my upper cheeks. On the apples of the cheeks so to speak. Not full face. And I could have pale skin too when the flush calmed down again. So no 24/7 constant redness. I didn't need a fan all the time either back then. But after that IPL I flushed and went (still go) red all over my cheeks, the entire cheek area, and chin and ears too. And a much deeper shade of red also, compared to before. So there has since been redness and flushing where there never used to be any, and I flush about 20 times more, like; a lot more and severe ever since. The year right after that IPL was the worst. Then I was given anti flushing medication.

What the medication does for me, is to not have me flushed and beet red 24/7 anymore. I do get very red and flushed still, especially now in winter or in the heat of summer. But I can have lighter skin if not flushed and when I keep cool too now. I'm subtype 1 with a lot of crazy flushing, the redness comes with the flushing. It's not permanent in a way, as when I am all cooled up, I can look fairly pale. I just flush at the drop of a hat and go from scale 2 to 8 or 9, if you'd want to scale such a thing. Much more red now than before the IPL and on a much bigger skin area (everywhere that dr zapped me) than before.

Comment

Originally posted by ephemerality View Post
      i am always "amazed" at how little responsibility those doctors are held accountable! people who drive cars and accidently hit and hurt someone are always held accontable; then why not those f-cking doctors who prescribe steroid like napkin dispenser and those f-cking doctors who zap people with lasers without carefully consider the patients full history snd skin conditions but just want to "collect" more patients/laser sessions and make money!!! those doctors' crimes are way more severe than drivers who hurt people during accidents!!!

how long did you wait between the steroid (hydrocortisone) cream and that ipl? do you mind of sharing the reason that you chose ipl instead of some pdl (eg vbeam, ktp, yag) initially? have you tried any pdl after that ipl then?

Yeh it made me very angry and upset indeed, and I'm not alone. I know several people who had their skin worsened quite significantly by doctors and their IPL/laser machines. It makes most fuming that the doctors just say that their machines cannot be held responsible and that it must be rosacea's natural progression. They do walk off and forget about you, while you are left with a life in tatters. And worst of all; they had you sign a contract before it all started, so you have not a leg to stand on, if you want to stay within the legal side of the law.

The steroid cream was used in 1999, the IPL in 2005. In between I first tried all sorts of natural treatment options, acupuncturists, herbalists, basic rosacea treatments like antibiotics and creams. Nothing worked. I was already on this forum back then and just rode the IPL hype that was going on already at the time. I got this doctors name from the forum too. I visited him in England a separate time, to ask for test patches but he dismissed that, said it wasn't necessary. I have regretted this bitterly.
      I understood at the time that IPL was 'best' for flushing and base redness. I don't have visible blood vessels, which was thought to be the thing to use laser for. Later those insights seem to have changed, I think the consensus here is now that for flushing the v-beam or some other ype of laser is actually more effective.

I had test patches with pdl laser after 2005, first with my local dermatologist, then the late Dr. Crouch helped me a lot, doing all sorts of test patches for free; pdl, yag, also Lumenis One IPL. None of the lasers gave me any pale skin response. The Lumenis One did with certain triple layer settings, but when we did a full face treatment in 2006, it gave me a month long inflammation and redness all over my face. Took NSAID medication to calm things down and in the end, that IPL didn't help me but didn't make me worse either, so no drama that time, luckily. Crouch thought I am not a good candidate for laser nor IPL, as my skin is too reactive and sensitive and I have some light sensitivities too. Then in 2011 and 2012 I had part of my lower cheek test patched with v-beam perfecta, just to be sure that one could help me (Crouch didn't have that type of laser) but it showed no effect whatsoever, and I didn't dare to do a full face treatment as a result. That's the score. I am too afraid I'll make matters worse with either laser or IPL as it stands now.
      My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Hi, could you tell me what anti flushing medication you use please.
        My face is either red all over, or bright red all over. It doesn't itch or burn or cause any discomfort at all.
        It's just bright red!

Comment

Originally posted by zxc View Post
          Hi, could you tell me what anti flushing medication you use please.
          My face is either red all over, or bright red all over. It doesn't itch or burn or cause any discomfort at all.
          It's just bright red!
          Hi

the anti flushing medication that helps me personally (and some other people on here as well) is clonidine, propranolol
          and I use an antihistamine sometimes, like in pollen season or when I eat foods high in histamine.

There are also some antidepressants that can actually help to cut down on facial flushing and redness, but more as a side effect. I use mirtazapine, but all antidepressants come with more potential side effects than the 3 medications I mentioned first. Then there are antimalarials, which help some people with flushing as well. Only antihistamines can be bought over the counter however, the others are all prescription and should be prescribed by your doctor. Clonidine and propranolol can bring your blood pressure down, so the doctor is kind of important in this story, as he or she needs to keep a track of your blood pressure when you start them..

Ok, you are lucky in a way I guess that you don't burn? Does your face not tingle or feel hot either when you are so red? Did you get a diagnosis of rosacea? There are other conditions that can cause your face to go red, for instance KPRF, lupus, Erythromelgia and many more.. Before you start any medication, it's best to get a right diagnosis first, but maybe you already had one?

take care
          My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Hi nat007,
            I've not been diagnosed with rosacea, I guess that's the conclusion I've come to. The first gp I saw said it was eczema, i don't believe it is, he prescribed antibiotics and steroid cream, made no difference. The second gp I saw, I said I thought it was rosacea, he prescribed metro gel, made no difference.
            I'm back on Monday to see my gp again. I will asked to be referred to a dermatologist, as I just think the gps, just don't have the knowledge to investigate the issues properly. They just seem to say "try this and see if it works" without any proper examination or investigation. My face does not burn, or cause discomfort, just always red.

Comment

Working...
            X