Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaquenil...as last desperate attempt to calm rosacea

Hello group -

Can anyone comment on whether they have had any experience with using plaquenil to calm recalcitrant rosacea. My symptoms are now generally confined to chronic inflammation and/or swelling of my nose and cheeks on either side of my nose. NOTHING HAS HELPED ME THUS FAR. My nose is enlarged. The pores on either side of my nose are quite enlarged and are now turning into little horizontal lines across my cheeks because of the constant swelling of the skin. I have tried so many medications thus far and am simply at my wits end with this. I am not able to use any topicals because everything I have tried so far makes my skin burn. And, I will do any further IPLs after they damaged my skin. I have thought about Accutane however my skin is already quite dry and menopause has made that even worse.

Please, if anyone has any advice on the use of plaquenil it would be most helpful.

Thanks so much.

Wendy

Originally posted by wendykay View Post
    Hello group -

Can anyone comment on whether they have had any experience with using plaquenil to calm recalcitrant rosacea. My symptoms are now generally confined to chronic inflammation and/or swelling of my nose and cheeks on either side of my nose. NOTHING HAS HELPED ME THUS FAR. My nose is enlarged. The pores on either side of my nose are quite enlarged and are now turning into little horizontal lines across my cheeks because of the constant swelling of the skin. I have tried so many medications thus far and am simply at my wits end with this. I am not able to use any topicals because everything I have tried so far makes my skin burn. And, I will do any further IPLs after they damaged my skin. I have thought about Accutane however my skin is already quite dry and menopause has made that even worse.

Please, if anyone has any advice on the use of plaquenil it would be most helpful.

Thanks so much.

Wendy

Is that drug not only for flushing ?

Comment

Plaquenil

I do not know. I thought it was also a potent anti-inflammatory medication as well.

wendy

Comment

Hi Wendy, I took it for about a year. It had a calming effect, but nothing more than some anti-inflammatory supplements I've tried. So I decided to stop taking it given that you have to have regular eye exams since there's a risk there.

Some people have responded well to it. I haven't heard of it used for swelling, just post accutane flushing.

Have you tried Queta's approaches? The quercetin or the garlic? Your symptoms sound identical to hers. It gave her a new life.

Comment

Originally posted by wendykay View Post
          Hello group -

Thanks so much.

Wendy

The latest research indicates mast cells are central to Rosacea. Read the latest patent by Dr Gallo on the research section of the forum. It says topical cromolyn 4% was used in the research for subtype 1 with edema, with graphs showing results.
          Last edited by Daens; 25 February 2016, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Mast cells

Yes, thank you. I have already printed it off and expect to read this evening. Not sure it will help my enlarged nose though.

Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
              Hi Wendy, I took it for about a year. It had a calming effect, but nothing more than some anti-inflammatory supplements I've tried. So I decided to stop taking it given that you have to have regular eye exams since there's a risk there.

Some people have responded well to it. I haven't heard of it used for swelling, just post accutane flushing.

Have you tried Queta's approaches? The quercetin or the garlic? Your symptoms sound identical to hers. It gave her a new life.
              Could you tell me if the Accutane Flushing was from Topical or Oral form and is Isotretinoin Oral pretty much the same as Accutane?

Comment

Hi Rich, my flushing/rosacea wasn't from Accutane. I never took that. My understanding from past folks on here who've had Accutane-induced rosacea is that they were taking oral Accutane - the brand name for the generic oral isotretinoin.

Also just to be clear for folks reading this: not everyone who takes Accutane gets flushing/rosacea.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
                  Hi Rich, my flushing/rosacea wasn't from Accutane. I never took that. My understanding from past folks on here who've had Accutane-induced rosacea is that they were taking oral Accutane - the brand name for the generic oral isotretinoin.

Also just to be clear for folks reading this: not everyone who takes Accutane gets flushing/rosacea.

Hope that helps!
                  Argh right, I get what your saying.

Thanks for replying

Comment

Working...
                  X