Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waking up blotchy and red HELP

Hello,

I am 23 years old and fairly new to rosacea (since May this year), although I have always been a blusher and rosy as I am very fair. I am suffering from the flushing and redness, and occasionally get pimples. I always wake up blotchy and red, and also flush in warm environments, eating hot food, hot showers or when I am anxious etc.

I have seen the amazing Professor Chu twice and have been prescribed Clonidine, Mirtazapine and a beta blocker. However, I am still waking up flushed and blotchy and still flush in warm environments. It is really really getting me down and depressed. What other medications or things can I try to stop me flushing? Why do I wake up red?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Just to add I have been on Clonidine for about 6 weeks. Does it take a long time to fully get the effects? I really want some relief in my sleep!!

Comment

Hi, have you started the Mirtzapine yet?

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
        Hi, have you started the Mirtzapine yet?
        Hi, yes I have been taking 15mg for nearly three weeks. Surely that should have helped by now?

Comment

Usually takes 4-6 wks for it to kick in from what I understand. But at 3 wks, yes, I'd think you might feel something. Give it more time, though.

I know how you feel. Night flushing has been the worst for me. I'm on Clonidine and Zoloft and still flush. The medication helps. Plus I have been doing laser. I have been a severe flusher. Has been better this year but I keep relapsing. However just last Thursday, I had Botox for the flushing. I have a thread going on about it. Don't have the link. I wouldn't recommend it straight out of the door. My trial of it is sort of last resort.

There are various things you can do that can help. You may already be doing them. Sleeping on your back, head elevated with pillows? Not too much in the way of covers - nothing heavy. Keep your room very cool - temp around 67-69.

I keep an icepack next to me wrapped in a soft t-shirt material. If I wake up flushing or even feel my face get warm, I pat it around my face. Sometimes I can stop a flush.

This might be random. But I saw left flushing immediately after starting a new moisturizer. I don't think it was that specific brand. Who knows. My guess is that it somehow protects my skin by providing a protective layer over my fragile, flushy skin. The cream is Neosporin Eczema Esentials Moisturizing Cream. The oz tube, not the small tube with hydrocortizone in it. It really helped my skin integrity. Like it was holding the vessels in place. Worth a try if you can find it at a local drugstore or Amazon.

One thing I've just started experimenting with is eating a little protein before bed. You can try crackers and peanut butter, yogurt and granola. Or sip about a half a cup of orange juice or milk and honey. Also, take your Vit C supplements before bed. Both the bedtime snacks and Vit C help lower cortisol and stabilize spikes. Try 2 g of Vit C before bed.

Some of the waking up flushes in the middle of the night could be cortisol spikes waking you up and your system. You can google this. It's interesting to read about it.

Hopefully the meds will kick in soon. It's so hard to get a good night's sleep when your face is flushing! Hope you improve soon!

Comment

hg24 thank you for your response - so informative. Im new to this forum and everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

Moisturiser wise, that is amazing you're having success with it. I am currently trying out the Salcura range dermaspray so will see how that goes, but definitely will look to use the cream you suggested. So it doesn't matter if you don't have eczema then to use the cream? And does it help with any of the baseline redness? I also have a bit of Seb Derm so it might be good for that I suppose. Keep me updated on your progress.

That is interesting about the cortisol as I would say I am a huge worrier, and the rosacea has exacerbated this even more. I wish there was something to stop that haha.

Thanks again and Im so glad you responded, I will have a go with everything you said - I slept last night with about ten pillows.

Comment

I am still waking up red and blotchy even taking all the medication. This is so upsetting. I've just ordered some neospirin to try. Spent a fortune as I am in the UK. Any more advice for night time flushing and waking up red?

Comment

Night time flushing and waking up in pain is my worst issue right now. Happening for the past ten weeks because of a medically induced vasomotor malfunction. Previously I never flushed at night (nights used to be my best time). I haven't solved it yet. I also take vitamin c (calcium ascorbate not ascorbic acid) and Quercetin (for mast cell issues). I have been experimenting with sometimes drinking a blueberry and blackberry smoothie before bed. Supposedly blueberries, blackberries, and cherries are vasoconstricting. Plus it's icy cold. You could add a little protein powder (I use rice protein). I drink the smoothie for breakfast also along with flax and chia seed for omega 3 fats. I get tons of other fat from nuts and coconut milk. I use coconut milk in my smoothies. I just lie down when exhausted for 8 hours to sleep and get up early.

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
                  Usually takes 4-6 wks for it to kick in from what I understand. But at 3 wks, yes, I'd think you might feel something. Give it more time, though.

I know how you feel. Night flushing has been the worst for me. I'm on Clonidine and Zoloft and still flush. The medication helps. Plus I have been doing laser. I have been a severe flusher. Has been better this year but I keep relapsing. However just last Thursday, I had Botox for the flushing. I have a thread going on about it. Don't have the link. I wouldn't recommend it straight out of the door. My trial of it is sort of last resort.

There are various things you can do that can help. You may already be doing them. Sleeping on your back, head elevated with pillows? Not too much in the way of covers - nothing heavy. Keep your room very cool - temp around 67-69.

I keep an icepack next to me wrapped in a soft t-shirt material. If I wake up flushing or even feel my face get warm, I pat it around my face. Sometimes I can stop a flush.

This might be random. But I saw left flushing immediately after starting a new moisturizer. I don't think it was that specific brand. Who knows. My guess is that it somehow protects my skin by providing a protective layer over my fragile, flushy skin. The cream is Neosporin Eczema Esentials Moisturizing Cream. The oz tube, not the small tube with hydrocortizone in it. It really helped my skin integrity. Like it was holding the vessels in place. Worth a try if you can find it at a local drugstore or Amazon.

One thing I've just started experimenting with is eating a little protein before bed. You can try crackers and peanut butter, yogurt and granola. Or sip about a half a cup of orange juice or milk and honey. Also, take your Vit C supplements before bed. Both the bedtime snacks and Vit C help lower cortisol and stabilize spikes. Try 2 g of Vit C before bed.

Some of the waking up flushes in the middle of the night could be cortisol spikes waking you up and your system. You can google this. It's interesting to read about it.

Hopefully the meds will kick in soon. It's so hard to get a good night's sleep when your face is flushing! Hope you improve soon!
                  Hg24. I've just tried the neosporin last night. I flushed obviously in the night and no changes in the morning. Did you get immediate results from neosporin? Or something you continued with?

Comment

Originally posted by TinyDancer View Post
                    Night time flushing and waking up in pain is my worst issue right now. Happening for the past ten weeks because of a medically induced vasomotor malfunction. Previously I never flushed at night (nights used to be my best time). I haven't solved it yet. I also take vitamin c (calcium ascorbate not ascorbic acid) and Quercetin (for mast cell issues). I have been experimenting with sometimes drinking a blueberry and blackberry smoothie before bed. Supposedly blueberries, blackberries, and cherries are vasoconstricting. Plus it's icy cold. You could add a little protein powder (I use rice protein). I drink the smoothie for breakfast also along with flax and chia seed for omega 3 fats. I get tons of other fat from nuts and coconut milk. I use coconut milk in my smoothies. I just lie down when exhausted for 8 hours to sleep and get up early.
                    Thanks TinyDancer. Please keep me updated on your progress? I really don't know if food is contributing to my rosacea. I find it so hard to tell

Comment

Hi, I wasn't sure I liked it at first so I set it aside a few days. Then tried again and noticed an improvement in my skin the next day - calmer and lighter flush. It's not that the cream stops flushing - rather than it does a good job at improving the skin barrier (as it's geared toward those with eczema), hydrating the skin and calming it. For me, I Ind that the layer of cream seems to act as another layer of skin - so my overly hyped blood vessels are sort of held in place in a way? Hard to explain. I just noticed that I wasn't so quick to flush and if I do, it's lighter. It's helped to strengthen my skin.

No cream is going to solve flushing, unfortunately. I really believe that flushing is much more internal. I think I mentioned a few ideas in one of my earlier posts - eating a light snack before bed that lowers cortisol. Certain supplements. Have you had a vbeam?

Comment

So true and I like your thinking, protecting the skin barrier is crucial!!!! I'll keep on using it and see how it goes. I have this one area that always flares and goes read, and is gradually spreading. I will keep using it on that area in particular.

I haven't tried vbeam yet but I might try the n-lite but I hate the idea of the bruising. Have you had n-lite? Also supplement wise have you tried oral niacinamide for flushing? Someone recommended it on this forum and I'm contemplating trying it. The night flushing sucks as it's just so bizarre that at nighttime when you're meant to be relaxed but we flush...

Comment

Also, on one cheek I wake up with red dots/lumps - like heat bumps. What are they? Is it contact with my pillow or just how rosacea is?

Comment

Hi ginaisred, I've never tried n-Iite. There might be some threads here where people have talked about their experiences with it.

I took oral niacinamide earlier this year, but not consitently.

There are some people who state that grape seed extract helps with flushing.

It does sound like the early morning breakouts are inflammatory breakouts. If you're sleeping on your cheek, then that is probably causing the problem.

Comment

Hi hg24. I was just wondering what your experience was like with niacinamide? Did you get any negative effects? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X