No announcement yet.

Waking up blotchy and red HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niacinamide... Personally I would stay away from it at all costs- I used to use it a few years back as my old derm told me it would help with my oily t-zone - back then my skin was more like teflon so nothing really annoyed it... But ever since I've had rosacea it's only broken me out further and irritated my skin quite terribly. I've used it at least three times now and all three times I've had to stop and then deal with the fall out - extremely red patchy and dry skin for at least two to three weeks.

Tiny Dancer thanks for the headsup - I'll look into it when I get home next month - need to be ready for dry weather!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tokyolulu View Post
      Niacinamide... Personally I would stay away from it at all costs- I used to use it a few years back as my old derm told me it would help with my oily t-zone - back then my skin was more like teflon so nothing really annoyed it... But ever since I've had rosacea it's only broken me out further and irritated my skin quite terribly. I've used it at least three times now and all three times I've had to stop and then deal with the fall out - extremely red patchy and dry skin for at least two to three weeks.

Tiny Dancer thanks for the headsup - I'll look into it when I get home next month - need to be ready for dry weather!!!
      Ok. So, you mean the topical naicinimide mixed into a moisturizer? I will spot test and be careful. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TinyDancer View Post
        Ok. So, you mean the topical naicinimide mixed into a moisturizer? I will spot test and be careful. Thanks!
        actually i was using a moisturizer with niacinamide as one of the key ingredients - i can't find it right now - i think i might have chucked it after a fit of "OMG why did i try it three times" fury but yes please be really careful - I know it has worked really well for some - but for me it just made a mess of my face....

Comment

actually i was using a moisturizer with niacinamide as one of the key ingredients - i can't find it right now - i think i might have chucked it after a fit of "OMG why did i try it three times" fury but yes please be really careful - I know it has worked really well for some - but for me it just made a mess of my face....
          A lot of people use CeraVe moisturizer because it has naicinimide and ceramides in it. But, it has other ingredients that cause acne for some people. I suspect that's what happened to you.

My naturopath ordered mine from the compounding pharmacy. They use a very gentle, mild moisturizer that's specifically for people with acne and sensitive skin conditions. They will mix in 4% naicinimide. But, I will be cautious. Thanks!

Comment

oh i've not used cerave before let me know how you go with yours though! i'm sort of done trying new things for the next month or so - a bit wary of new stuff at the moment plus I need to get ready for our wedding (granted it's half a year away but I'm a little worried haha)

Comment

oh i've not used cerave before let me know how you go with yours though! i'm sort of done trying new things for the next month or so - a bit wary of new stuff at the moment plus I need to get ready for our wedding (granted it's half a year away but I'm a little worried haha)
              Oh ok. So, it was a different moisturizer. Was it by prescription? I will definitely be careful. Thanks! I will let you know how it goes. I just posted a thread about it. Yeah, it's often good to do nothing and let your skin be. Oh, your wedding? Congratulations!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TinyDancer View Post
                Oh ok. So, it was a different moisturizer. Was it by prescription? I will definitely be careful. Thanks! I will let you know how it goes. I just posted a thread about it. Yeah, it's often good to do nothing and let your skin be. Oh, your wedding? Congratulations!! :-)
                Yes I think it was an older formulation of Papulex - a French brand - it has nicotinamide which is from the same family as niacinamide. - It was prescribed by my derm here in Singapore and I've not seen it out in the shops (with good reason, I'm sure!!)

Thank you! Am freaking out because I worry about wearing makeup and stuff but - maybe I'll get hypnotherapy before then and be all zen about it haha XX

Comment

Yes I think it was an older formulation of Papulex - a French brand - it has nicotinamide which is from the same family as niacinamide. - It was prescribed by my derm here in Singapore and I've not seen it out in the shops (with good reason, I'm sure!!)

Thank you! Am freaking out because I worry about wearing makeup and stuff but - maybe I'll get hypnotherapy before then and be all zen about it haha XX
                  I have heard some negative experiences with nicotinamide. Yeah, that's a form of naicinimide along with some other vitamins I think. Not sure of the concentration. It's been pulled from the market here, no longer available. I will definitely be cautious.

Great idea about the hypnotherapy!!! I think I should get that also just to help me in my recovery from Mirvaso.

Comment

Hi, nicotinamide is also known as niacinamide. So same thing. Also, niacin is the form of B3 that causes flushing, so you want to stay away from that. I always double check multivitamins and food labels to make sure the manufacturer has used the niacinamide form.

I like Cerave PM lotion, but I find the cream too occlusive for my liking. I generally prefer creams because they feel more cushiony on my sensitive skin. But the Cerave cream was a little too clog poring for me for daily use. Some creams are just too occlusive for breakout-prone skin.
                    Last edited by hg24; 6 December 2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

But could oral niacinamide cause acne? TinyDancer it's been great for your flushing which gives me hope.

Comment

Haha, I wish I could be brave enough to try hypnotherapy.... we booked an outdoor ceremony venue because I was dead set on doing an oceanfront ceremony but tbh, not feeling quite so smart about that choice anymore (perhaps investing in a couple of cute parasols may help haha.)

speaking of new things to try, I recently went for a colonic as well - and it was sort of frightening - you only live once I guess, and I also had thought it would do wonders for my skin -> it did, i had one of the most sudden flareups after lol.

that's it for me and functional medicine for the month of december anyway. working my way up to doing a parasitic cleanse in the new year - but only after I get everything stable and under control with my skin.

i'm so sorry you were prescribed mirvaso... my derm at home tried to prescribe it to me the other day, saying that it was a new cream that would help with the redness etc (we had been discussing what i could do to prep pre-wedding) - fortunately, i'd already read quite a lot of the posts here and was quite wary of it but what really tipped me over was the fact that he was quite insistent that it worked and had very little side effects. (i.e. i am no longer listening to him when it comes to topicals because he doesn't seem to get it anyway. on the other hand, he's fantastic with laser work so i'll just go to him for that in the meantime...
                        Last edited by tokyolulu; 6 December 2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I am so glad you didn't use Mirvaso. These dermatologists are insane and ignorant about it.

Gina, naicinimide doesn't cause acne. It's used to treat acne internally as well as externally. I had the acne before I took naicinimide and it is healing slowly.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Comment

Hi again, I've had the odd (very rare) morning where I've woken up un-flushed. My dermatologist says this is because the medication is starting to control the flushing (I hope). Still early days though and I still flush lots. However, instead of waking up red and flushed I have the odd inflammatory red dot/small pimple instead, kind of like heat spots? I think hg24 you said they may be caused by sleeping on my side and I think you're probably right but I was wondering if anyone else had other suggestions??? I'm going to try sudocrem again to see if that helps. I don't always get them though.....

Comment

I hope things continue to improve. Let us know how the sudocream works.

Comment

Help?

Sorry I know this is probably the wrong thread to post it in but as I'm so new here I was hoping I could get some advice, if any.

So a week back I saw a new dermatologist who diagnosed me with Seb. Dermatitis - I had been wondering why my skin was slowly sloughing off unevenly (to the eye it looked fine, and quite even - my fiance was asking my why I was freaking out but I could feel rough patches everywhere) but I could feel it was dry and tight. She also pointed out that I had an oily t-zone, no doubt triggered by the crazy monsoon season we are having here, and prescribed me:

Vitamin C Serum
                                Recovery Complex (Some b-s moisturizer from her own line which she swears helps but I'm not entirely sure)
                                Rozex Gel - (Which, is metro gel I believe)

I can't seem to find enough recent reviews here on Rozex - and am honestly afraid to apply it - have any of you heard much about it?

TIA XX

Comment

Working...
                                X