Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laundry Detergent?

Hey Gina,

I feel your pain! I was diagnosed this summer and just about everything has been driving me mad!

I wanted to ask what sort of laundry detergent do you use to do your sheets? One of the biggest irritants for me at night was actually my pillowcases - my fiance uses bleach and fabric softener - according to my derm these two, plus the everyday run of the mill laundry is particularly harsh on rosacea skin so currently I'm using the gentlest laundry detergent (Free&Clear by Method) I'm not sure you have something similar in the UK. It's helped quite a bit.

Flushing (day or night) for me is an indication that I'm very dehydrated - I don't always get the 8 glasses of water in and usually it plays out with heat flushing the next day. So these days I make sure I get a glass in every chance I get, but no hot drinks as it tends to set my skin off as well.

Niacinamide - I've actually not had any success with topical niacinamide - in fact it made my face very very red and irritated so I stopped it immediately. My advice would be to tread carefully with this as some people have had great success with it, others, like myself, not so much. In fact, I'm not sure that topical creams really help that much with flushing to be honest. I've tried Elidel and Protopic and neither really worked for me.

Moisturizer - I've started using La Roche's Toleriane Fluide - which I know is most def available in the UK - it's very very gentle and has a very short list of ingredients. If you can get your hands on a sample, I would try it. I've also cut down my cleansing routine to a very light foam cleanser with distilled water and I only wash my face at night, at the end of the day. I used to wash it at least twice a day but I find that if I do that in the morning I wind up stripping the oils from my face and then it's back to square one with the red face and all.

Comment

I second tokyolulu's comments. Water is so helpful. I'm such a proponent of it, yet lately I haven't been drinking as much as I need. I also only cleanse once a day, at night, only rinse with cool water in the morning.

Other than using a good moisturizer so the skin is hydrated, I also don't think that topical do much for flushing. They can make it worse - by irritating the skin. But I haven't found that they stop flushing. If only!

Re: niacinamide, When I started using it, I was trying many different things and decided that I was doing too much and needed to pare back. So I didn't give it a true test.

Comment

I tried cleaning in the morning yesterday, then metrogel, then moisturizer and it made me look like a burn victim all day. The Cetaphil moisturizer makes me face look greasy all day and almost accentuates the redness in my cheeks and makes the bumpy/rough skin on my forehead and parts of my cheeks look worse. I am going to start just cleansing at night.

I completely avoid water on my face in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by aafdup View Post
          I tried cleaning in the morning yesterday, then metrogel, then moisturizer and it made me look like a burn victim all day. The Cetaphil moisturizer makes me face look greasy all day and almost accentuates the redness in my cheeks and makes the bumpy/rough skin on my forehead and parts of my cheeks look worse. I am going to start just cleansing at night.

I completely avoid water on my face in the morning.
          I tend to think that I haven't really been exerting myself when I sleep so if I've washed my face the night before, there's no real need to clean again when I wake up :p

I've not used Cetaphil moisturizer before but I have used the cleanser in the past and it caused probably the worst flareup I've had to date - perhaps you could switch to a gentler moisturizer with less aggravating ingredients? Vanicream Lite worked really well for me when my skin was super irritated.

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
            I second tokyolulu's comments. Water is so helpful. I'm such a proponent of it, yet lately I haven't been drinking as much as I need. I also only cleanse once a day, at night, only rinse with cool water in the morning.

Am terrible at remembering to drink water too! But I try to make herbal teas and chill them, along with Berocca and whatnot so it's not as boring and there's some variety! The things we have to resort to to maintain some semblance of skin under control!

Comment

I like the Neosporin Eczema Essentials Moisturizing Cream. Active ingredient is colloidal oatmeal. Really helps restore the skin barrier. Greatly improved my skin hydration. It's the 6 oz tube. NOT the smaller tube with hydrocortizone in it.

Something like this or a moisturizer for intolerant/eczema/atopic dermatitis skin is good. I've also used Vanicream and Vanicream Lotion. Both are for intolerant skin and very gentle. I like Neosporin better as it seems more soothing. The main thing is you want a "do no harm" moisturizer.

Comment

Thank you, im so fed of rosacea and not knowing what my skin is going to do. I was just eating lunch - and yes some of it was hot/warm in temperature. I didn't flush but I got a random red inflammation mark on my cheek. I can't tell if it's food related or heat related? It's such a pain not knowing exactly what's causing spots/ inflammation and flushing.

I will take a look into the laundry detergent as I'm living at home and not sure what we use.

I've tried the neosporin but I don't think it helped or did any wrong. I think I was expecting too much that it would stop my flushing. But I will try it again I think as it's been so good for you hg24.

Regarding niacamide I may try it but again I'm taking so many things it's difficult to know what's helping or not.

X

Comment

Oh same here - most times I have no idea what's going to happen either but sometimes I think the best thing to do is to look the other way and not worry about flushing so much. Easier said than done I know but I find the more I focus on a certain aspect - like the redness or the bumps, the worse it looks to me if I glance in the mirror - so I don't. Especially when I feel like it's not behaving. Obvi sometimes I give into it and stare in horror and obsess (1 out of 3 times haha) but I'm getting a bit better at it, I hope. ;) but ten times out of ten, I've been told it's a lot worse in my head than it really is.
                  Don't lose hope!

Also, these things really do take time to heal - I've been hoping to find that one special thing to cure this condition at one go but so far I've learnt that its best to approach it from a lifestyle, internal and external aspect - which is basically everything.

On food, I've done a food allergy test and surprisingly I'm allergic to many things I've been eating since I was a kid. Certain things really set me off - heat, sun, spicy food, refined sugar, nightshades so I'm staying off those as much as possible - I've also got the world's ugliest hat - which has made its way into about 80percent of my FB photos but better safe than sorry

Do you keep a food diary? I've just started keeping one and I find it quite helpful for track my food habits and water intake!

Another thing to try might be an elimination diet. There's lots out there: GAPS, FODMAP, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free.... I won't lie, it can be a pain trying to adhere to the diet but I actually feel quite a bit healthier now plus we've really got nothing to lose right?

Also I've gotten a good probiotic and I'm taking slippery elm, vitamin c, zinc and berocca everyday now. It's only been about a week and like you I'm anxious to see results so will let you know how I go if you like?

About the niacinamide - since you've just started using a new moisturizer it may be better to try it at another time so you know what works for you and what doesn't. I've not used Neosporin before as colloidal oatmeal doesn't work for me - I'd used Aveeno's moisturizer with colloidal oatmeal and found that while it soothes, didn't really do much else for me.

If you've the time, educating yourself on your skincare ingredients is also quite key I think. Certain ingredients really irritate mine so I try not to use products with as little as possible.

Let me know if you've any questions - hugs!

Originally posted by ginaisred View Post
                  Thank you, im so fed of rosacea and not knowing what my skin is going to do. I was just eating lunch - and yes some of it was hot/warm in temperature. I didn't flush but I got a random red inflammation mark on my cheek. I can't tell if it's food related or heat related? It's such a pain not knowing exactly what's causing spots/ inflammation and flushing.

I will take a look into the laundry detergent as I'm living at home and not sure what we use.

I've tried the neosporin but I don't think it helped or did any wrong. I think I was expecting too much that it would stop my flushing. But I will try it again I think as it's been so good for you hg24.

Regarding niacamide I may try it but again I'm taking so many things it's difficult to know what's helping or not.

X

Comment

Thank you again. Yes I keep a food diary. My derm professor chu says that if a food is causing flushing it would be an instant flush after you've eaten. He also said my night time flushing is a result of the internal body temperature increasing as I wake up. Which is impossible to control.

True, obsessing about it is the worst thing. I can't stand mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by tokyolulu View Post

On food, I've done a food allergy test and surprisingly I'm allergic to many things I've been eating since I was a kid. Certain things really set me off - heat, sun, spicy food, refined sugar, nightshades so I'm staying off those as much as possible! !
                      Also do you flush instantly from these foods? Please keep me updated with all the vitamins you're taking. Have you tried grape seed extract - I very nearly brought some today actually?

Comment

Originally posted by ginaisred View Post
                        Also do you flush instantly from these foods? Please keep me updated with all the vitamins you're taking. Have you tried grape seed extract - I very nearly brought some today actually?
                        Hello

Yes I did quite a bit in the beginning when I was first diagnosed and hadn't had the allergy test yet - it was to the point where I would not want to get up in the morning because I knew getting up would make me flush, and while I could somewhat cover it with makeup the texture of my skin would be all raised and bumpy (everyone always tells you they can't tell but you know it's there...) Eggs really are in a lot of Asian and even Western recipes so I was constantly flushed without knowing why.

During that time I used Protopic and Elidel both of which did nothing to reduce the inflammation except take the edge of the red but after reading more about the side effects I decided to stop altogether. I'm still not sure that topicals do much to help heal skin except mitigate what's there at that very moment - for me I feel they don't really address the root of the problem? Also, both were very expensive to get here and I used tiny sized amounts each time.

I've not taken grapeseed extract before. I've seen some chatter about it but am not sure if it really works. Is it expensive? What are you currently taking anyway?

Okay here is what I take on a day to day basis:

1) Vitamin C - 1000mg
                        2) Slippery Elm
                        3) Nutralife Probiotic 50 Billion
                        4) Zinc - Chelated 30mg
                        5) Green Tea - I brew my own so none of the store bought stuff with added sugar and keep a pot chilling in the fridge - At least 3-4 cups a day. I'd had to give up coffee once I found out I had rosacea as it makes me flush uncontrollably so Green Tea works quite well in place of that.
                        6) Water - 8-10 glasses a day; I used to be quite a big fan of Coke Zero for a minute there too - and have stopped with all the soda, and anything that has ingredients on a label I can't understand
                        7) Fish Oil - I used to take this but I've stopped because it actually causes me to break out - I've tried it three times now and each time with the same results. I've had friends who have bad eczema take this and it's healed their skin really well so was quite gutted when it did nothing for me

Comment

I read that sometimes people develop a malfunctioning flushing mechanism because of a damaged moisture barrier in the skin. So healing the moisture barrier can actually help regain a normal flushing mechanism sometimes. Some things that help rebuild the moisture barrier are hyaluronic acid, glycerin, squalane, and a good moisturizer. I have oily skin. So, I am using a natural hyaluronic acid spray by episilk hyalogic and derma-e soothing oil free moisturizer with pycnogenol (it has glycerin, aloe, white tea, and other vitamins like c and e and other stuff). I am picking up a prescription of topical naicinimide in a moisturizer. Naicinimide and ceramides also help repair the moisture barrier. Some people use CeraVe moisturizer. I don't think that would work for my oily (now blemish prone) skin.

Comment

do you find the episilk spray heavy?

i'm thinking of getting hyaluronic acid to try, under my moisturizer once I head back to the States - the dryness and change in climate was what triggered my rosacea to start with but i've not been able to find something that works for me without making me greasy and congested.

Originally posted by TinyDancer View Post
                            I read that sometimes people develop a malfunctioning flushing mechanism because of a damaged moisture barrier in the skin. So healing the moisture barrier can actually help regain a normal flushing mechanism sometimes. Some things that help rebuild the moisture barrier are hyaluronic acid, glycerin, squalane, and a good moisturizer. I have oily skin. So, I am using a natural hyaluronic acid spray by episilk hyalogic and derma-e soothing oil free moisturizer with pycnogenol (it has glycerin, aloe, white tea, and other vitamins like c and e and other stuff). I am picking up a prescription of topical naicinimide in a moisturizer. Naicinimide and ceramides also help repair the moisture barrier. Some people use CeraVe moisturizer. I don't think that would work for my oily (now blemish prone) skin.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyolulu View Post

I've not taken grapeseed extract before. I've seen some chatter about it but am not sure if it really works. Is it expensive? What are you currently taking anyway?

(
                              Hi tokyolulu, many thanks for your response - I always find it nice to get advice. I also tried elidel and it made my face burn when I flushed, so stopped using it. I am currently ta
                              1) a Multidophilus probiotic supplement
                              2) Clonidine, mirtazapine and a beta blocker - all to help with my flushing. My derm said that things should improve with time...like anything I have to be patient.
                              3) a herbal concoction I got from a herbalist consisting of skin herbs and anxiety herbs like ashwaganda, rose etc.,
                              4) A supplement that has low doses of Vitamin A in - helpful for my acne
                              5) Skin omegas
                              6) I do try and drink a lot of water but I guess I am not drinking enough.

I am considering grape seed extract - just from reading about it here - or niacinamide. It is so difficult trialling new things. If only there was something that stopped my internal body temperature from rocketing whilst I slept...

Originally posted by TinyDancer View Post
                              TinyDancer you're so right. I remember before I had rosacea, I was using a harsh cleanser for spots and an oil-free moisturiser on my face because I thought I had acne. I think I actually had dry skin and my skin was overcompensating....I guess that hasn't helped my skin. I have about a million different moisturisers and have spent so much money trialling them all - I tried a new brand called SEQuaderma recently which states it reduces permanent redness, but I don't think I saw results. Also I thought my make up (which has zinc oxide in) slightly calms my skin, so I have started to use a bit of sudocrem (it has zinc oxide in) at night. Mixed results as it helped on part of my face but made the other worse....?

So does the CeraVe moisturiser have both niacinimide and ceramides in? And Do you find your derma-e soothing moisturiser good?

Comment

I like the derma-e gel moisturizer I am using. My skin is normal to oily. It was always clear. I have acne now after using Mirvaso. The derm says it's acne, not rosacea. I didn't have Rosacea. I was misdiagnosed and wrongly prescribed mirvaso.

The hyaluronic acid spray that I use is completely light and not greasy. That was why I got it. So, I could "moisturize" my skin without always needing to use moisturizer.

On Tuesday I will start using naicinimide moisturizer from the compounding pharmacy (prescribed by my naturopath).

Thanks for your review of sudocream. I was wondering about that. I used manuka honey also. Helped at first. Then didn't.

CeraVe has naicinimide and ceramides. But it causes acne for some people. I am too afraid to try it.
                                Last edited by TinyDancer; 5 December 2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X