Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROSACEA. If there's one post, make sure you read this one .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROSACEA. If there's one post, make sure you read this one .

I have had rosacea all my life. I am now nearly fifty.
    I first realised that it was triggered by foods and drinks that I consumed, when I was in my teens. I went to see doctors and dermatologists who didn't help. There wasn't a lot left on 'the menu' that wouldn't trigger my rosacea, from coffee, chocolate, anything with caffeine (the list is endless, so many fizzy drinks contain caffeine), red wine, beer, nearly anything red, anything that was acid based, the list goes on.
    I didn't start properly researching it till a few years ago. I looked at all opinions and advice. There were too many pills to buy which seemed to work sometimes, for some people and not for others.
    I concluded that it was something that reacted with my blood. I'm not overweight, but my blood pressure was always high.
    My next step changed my life, and don't ever dismiss my advice until you have tried it.
    I started to drink clear water. I read that it helps to thin the blood. A glass first thing in the morning and then at least another three or four glasses during the day, clear ordinary tap water.
    I still tried to avoid all the normal trigger foods.
    The results started to be seen within a few days. My face is now totally clear unless I get lazy with my intake of water, then it reminds me how important 'my medication' is.
    The body is made up of about 65% water. It is important. My blood pressure is normal. Even warts that had been on my hand for years disappeared after a few weeks.
    I'm even having some of those trigger foods and no reaction.
    Just ordinary water. I can't say it is the cure for you.
    Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

That's very interesting. I have been a big water drinker even before I acquired Rosacea (December 2014). I drink probably close to 10 8 oz. glasses of water every day. That's alot of water. Before my Rosacea, I would drink close to 48 oz. of water every day. In fact, water is the only beverage I drink although I can drink at least one cup of coffee (warm temperature) a day. I increased my water intake to the 80 oz. a day since acquiring the Rosacea. Unfortunately, when you have to travel somewhere, it's impossible to consume that much but when I am home, I am constantly shoving water down my throat sometimes with a lemon wedge to keep me hydrated. I believe there is a lot of truth to your statements. My Rosacea is currently in remission I believe due to the antibiotics I am taking (Minocycline) and the amount of water I shove down my throat. I watch my diet as my triggers are tomatoes, cheese, spicy foods, wine, milk and processed foods. I eat alot of steamed veggies, fish, chicken and limit my sweets.

I think drinking lots of water should be on everyone's diet.

Comment

Agree. There are some past posts on the forum by a couple of people who improved through increasing their water intake.

I did a little research on this a while ago - and found quite a bit about how chronic dehydration is thought to be affecting many health conditions.

I think it can definitely help type 2 rosaceans - for the bumps. For me - I have type 1 (flushing, redness), it helps keep my system cool, but I do believe also that it helps in other ways. I read that a symptom of mild dehydration is flushing. So I have been upping my water intake. I also only drink water - an occasional green tea - but mostly water.

In terms of possible treatment options, it sure is one of the easiest things to try!

Comment

Water thins the blood.

Its interesting reading everybodys comments on this forum. My views are, rosacea is caused by the foods we eat that get broken down and then pass through the bloodsteam. If these foods are not diluted enough they cause a reaction in our blood vessels that manifest as rosacea. By drinking water we are able to help this process by diluting these foods. It's interesting reading from the National Rosacea Society, a survey where they list some of the most common triggers people have given. If you look at all the top points, they are all related to dehydration (Sun exposure 81%, Hot weather 75%, Heavy exercise 56%, alcohol consumption 52%) This would suggest an even greater need, due to the body losing more water.

Also different foods and drink would affect me differently. Coffee, tea, fizzy drinks etc. would result in blind boils normally around the nose area. Where as chocolate and red foods etc. would normally cause more of a rash acne type rosacea. The latter was slightly easier to manage. Even one of these drinks (coffee, tea or cola etc) would cause my rosacea to flare up.

Comment

How long did it take to be totally clear after starting to drink more water? Did you add salt as well?
          Doug

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
            How long did it take to be totally clear after starting to drink more water? Did you add salt as well?

I do not add salt to my drinking water. I drink about 4 or 5 16 ounce glasses of water per day. Drinking water as my main beverage helps to keep the skin hydrated, kidneys flushed, and it gives you a sense of cleansing your body of bad stuff. It does not cure your Rosacea but I will say, it has been awhile (knock on wood) since I've had a flare up but then I am on Minocycline and I watch my diet eliminating my triggers and there are quite a few triggers. I put very little stuff on my face and I watch my exposure to the sun. My Rosacea is worse in the winter vs the summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Robi View Post
              It's interesting reading from the National Rosacea Society, a survey where they list some of the most common triggers people have given. If you look at all the top points, they are all related to dehydration (Sun exposure 81%, Hot weather 75%, Heavy exercise 56%, alcohol consumption 52%) This would suggest an even greater need, due to the body losing more water.
              Interesting posts. Drinking plenty of water has helped a lot of people here on the forum, or at least it has been mentioned for many years; it cools you, hydrates.
              The triggers you mention, sun exposure, hot weather, exercise and alcohol do make a lot of rosaceans red, but primarily because they cause vasodilatation. Exercise increased heart rate, blood flow and because of the warming up of your system, your body needs to release the heat by sweating and dilating the blood vessels. Even pale skinned people with no skin conditions get often red or pink when they go for a heavy jog session. Even when they drink gallons of water.
              I also don't think the other triggers you mentioned primarily come down to dehydration. They are all blood vessel dilating triggers by themselves. Not because you are dehydrated. Although dehydration might surely worsen the reaction.
              My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Working...
              X