IPL and Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL and Medication

Hey everyone! I am a 20 year old woman and I have had rosacea for a long time even during childhood. My mother also has it and we are fair skinned. I am going to be going to a doctor since I will now have insurance starting March 1st! First plan is to get to a dermatologist. I have never had luck with medication and am currently not on any oral or topical medicines due to lack of insurance over the past years. However, I will now (God willing) be getting that taken care of. My real question is I have been considering toing a "Photofacial" IPL treatment for my rosacea. I'm going to a laser skincare place this Friday and possibly start my first treatment. I'm really hoping it is a avenue worth taking since it is quite expensive for my budget. But as you all know it seems that people may not understand how worth it it is to us if they do not deal with the physical and psychological issues we deal with on a daily (atleast for me) basis. Is it ridiculous to get my first treatment before i technically go to a dermatologist and get started on medications to get it under control?

Heya,

My experience with antibiotics such as doxycycline and minocycline is that they didn't really improve my skin, and the side effects were pretty bad (nausea, tiredness, generally feeling like crap haha).
    Plus, even if they do work, they're only a short term fix.

I completely understand what you mean about how important it is to those who suffer with rosacea to get their lives back on track,
    but it's vital that the person operating the IPL device knows what they're doing.
    Also, I'm not sure if you've read about the risks of IPL, but you really should before you book in any treatment (I wish I did).

Personally, I've seen 2 dermatologists, one of them performed IPL on me and damaged my skin. I blame him, not the machine.
    I've recently been to a laser skincare place run by a woman who's been treating rosacea for over 10 years,
    and she seemed a lot more personable and knowledgeable about rosacea compared to the two dermatologists.
    Being a dermatologist doesn't necessarily make you an expert (oh the irony ).

Would the person doing the treatment for you be a doctor? Also, what are your symptoms?
    I had IPL to reduce redness and help with my flushing, and I'm now finally looking at V-beam as it appears to be more effective/less dangerous.

Comment

Hi BeautifulBritt .
      I would advise you to stay away from lasers, you are essentially playing russian roulette with your face.
      Eating a clean healthy diet is the best way to go, trust me.

Comment

Working...
      X