Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derm thinks I have rosacea :(

Hello,

I am new here. My dermatologist thinks that I have rosacea. I think that he is right. A couple months ago, I started getting burning in my face after being out in windy, cold weather. My face would only turn a little red. Then I noticed that my cheeks were very warm to the touch and my nose would turn red a lot.

The first derm thought I just had sensitive skin and prescribed me locoid steroid cream. It helped for awhile but then it stopped working. I used it for a little over a month. I just stopped it a few days ago. Since I stopped it, I am getting hot blotches on my face that burn but don't last too long. I cannot lie down because that's when I get them. I am so upset because I cannot sleep. I wake up with hot, flushed burning cheeks. The redness goes down after my shower but it is still upsetting.

I think I am going through a rebound from the steroid but I also think that I do have rosacea. When I get upset and cry, my nose stays hot and red for quite awhile. I am quite devastated right now and don't know how to get through this.

I want to halt the progression of this but how can I do that if I flush when I sleep? When the blotches come, my face tingles and burns and that's how I know I am getting blotchy.

I am scared. All I do is eat ice chips all day. Will I ever be able to live a normal life?

I am wondering if I should start laser treatments to get this under control. It is very mild but I don't want it to progress. My derm gave me metrocream but he said that won't help with the flushing. I don't get any pimples really with this. I cannot believe the intensity of the heat that comes over me. Wow, and it stings.

I feel like I am living in the twilight zone.. I can't believe this is happening to me. I have always had very nice skin. Sigh..

I could use some tips on how to minimize flushing when I am sleeping. Also, will I ever be able to live a normal life? A life where I'm not constantly worried about flushing? If so, how will I get there?

I have depression and it was getting better until I was hit with this. I am very sad. I could use some hopeful words.

Thank you!

Oh, also, could the topical steroid that I was using worsened things? Maybe I have steroid induced rosacea?..although I was experiencing the burning before I used the cream, but there was no redness. Hmmm?

Hi freeme, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this but welcome to the RF. Hopefully you will find helpful info here.

I recommend you sleep a bit propped up for a while to decrease your flushing when laying down. Try babying your face and using a minimum of products on it. The steroids could have made it worse and this could be in part due to that and it will calm down but will take some time. If you do a search here re steroid rosacea you can read about it.

When you go outside protect your face from the cold and the wind as going from a cold to warm environment can trigger a flush. I find a face scarf helpful in this regard. And always wear sunblock when outside.

In the meantime check this link out:
    http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Hang in there. It might take time but your face will calm down.

Best,
    Melissa

Comment

derm thinks I have rosacea

Hi Melissa,

I really appreciate you responding to my post!

I have never experienced this much pain in my face in my whole life. I am really scared!! I think the topical steriods did this to me. My dermatologist thinks that I am experiencing some rebound redness from it. It wakes me up in the middle of the night. I am bright red and my cheeks are on FIRE! I have been sleeping propped up but it doesn't seem to be helping.

You really think my face will calm down? Gosh, I hope so! I have been very upset about having to live with rosacea. I see the pictures on the internet and that scares me. I now feel like I have to live my life constantly aware of triggers and that depresses me.

I have read some of your posts on this forum and you seem very strong and helpful to others. Is your rosacea under control? How do you deal with the emotional side of it and the worry about getting worse? That is something I am struggling with.

What is really bad for me is the burning that I get. It was so horrible last night that it woke me up. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked in the mirror. I was so red. Does this burning get better?

Thanks, I will check out the link that you posted.

I do try to cover my face outside in the wind and cold but sometimes I forget.

Is it unrealistic to say that I will get better and maybe not have to worry about the rosacea as much? In other words, is there hope that it won't always rule my life like it's doing now?

Thank you so much!
      Freeme

Comment

Hi freeme, you are very welcome.

Is it unrealistic to say that I will get better and maybe not have to worry about the rosacea as much? In other words, is there hope that it won't always rule my life like it's doing now?
        No, it is not only not unrealistic (that's a lot of double negatives LOL) it is very likely that you will get better and stop thinking about your rosacea all the time. Believe me, we have all been there and done that and time truly does make things a lot better- with proactive treatment of course and due diligence which obviously you are doing.

What is really bad for me is the burning that I get. It was so horrible last night that it woke me up. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked in the mirror. I was so red. Does this burning get better?
        What you can try and I recommend this cautiously is a ceiling fan that does not blow directly on you. The problem with fans blowing directly on you is that they cause rebound flushing but a ceiling fan that can get the air circulating in the room can be of immense help. My husband installed one in our bedroom and if it is too warm or I wake up and my face feels irritated or flushy I just click it on and (almost) instant relief. But I do not allow the air to blow on my face for the very reason I stated about rebound flushing and that is why I prefer ceiling fans over other types as it seems to move the air more evenly and provides relief even when not blowing directly on me. It still can dry your eyes out though which brings me to a question for you:

What are your eye symptoms? Do you experience any grittiness, tearing, discharge etc?

Another method that might be helpful is somethign called a chillow to help with waking up with burning but again I urge caution because this too can cause rebound.
        http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...cinit1=chillow

I also recommend avoiding actively searching out worse case scenarios on the internet such as looking at awful pics to see what can happen. Those are much more the exception and there is no value in worrying about what might be. Very unlikely and unnecessary to stress yourself out like that.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you have. I also suggest you ask questions in the Q & A we have currently going on right now:
        http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...with-Dr-Crouch

Best,
        Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for writing back. I feel like my rosacea got worse like overnight. I have been experiencing symptoms, I think, for a few months now. My nose would turn red for a few minutes, I would be real flushy after a shower. Then my face started burning for no reason but there was no redness.

My derm prescribed me locoid. I used it for 35 days. I am wondering if that caused me to have steroid induced rosacea? Towards the end of using it, my face was turning red and then a couple days later, I keep flushing like crazy. I abruptly stopped the steroid so do you think that's why my face has gone nuts? I cannot stand the pain, it is unbearable. My nose also flushes and tingles after doing something that mildly exerts me. I am scared.

I am on metrocream but that doesn't help the flushing. Would you recommend me looking into lasers to try and nip this in the bud? It is mild, maybe it would get better? I'm just a bit devastated because I feel like I am losing my life to this. I am in so much pain!

I do have a ceiling fan and I keep it on. That seems to help a lot. I also have been using icepacks a lot. Is that bad to do? It's the only thing that helps me. Could I be having rebound fllushing?

My eyes do not bother me really. Do most people get it in their eyes?

Also, my nose is either hot or cold. Sometimes it is freezing and my face feels warm/hot. What can be done about nose flushing? It is very uncomfortable and embarrassing.
          I would like to put this into remission and I'm wondering if that can be done since I caught it early. Would lasers help me?

I am pretty devastated right now. I just cannot believe that this is happening to me and I am afraid that I will never be happy because I will always be thinking about my skin. You said that it's possible to get to that place. When people say that they "have their rosacea under control, does that mean that they aren't actively experiencing symptoms?

Thank you so much for helping me!

Pam

Comment

You might ask your dermatologist about Subtype 4. Also, ask him about any of the prescriptions for anti-flushing or consider some alternative treatments for flushing avoidance.
            Brady Barrows
            Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by freeme3 View Post
              Hi Melissa,

Thanks for writing back. I feel like my rosacea got worse like overnight. I have been experiencing symptoms, I think, for a few months now. My nose would turn red for a few minutes, I would be real flushy after a shower. Then my face started burning for no reason but there was no redness.

My derm prescribed me locoid. I used it for 35 days. I am wondering if that caused me to have steroid induced rosacea? Towards the end of using it, my face was turning red and then a couple days later, I keep flushing like crazy. I abruptly stopped the steroid so do you think that's why my face has gone nuts? I cannot stand the pain, it is unbearable. My nose also flushes and tingles after doing something that mildly exerts me. I am scared.

I am on metrocream but that doesn't help the flushing. Would you recommend me looking into lasers to try and nip this in the bud? It is mild, maybe it would get better? I'm just a bit devastated because I feel like I am losing my life to this. I am in so much pain!

I do have a ceiling fan and I keep it on. That seems to help a lot. I also have been using icepacks a lot. Is that bad to do? It's the only thing that helps me. Could I be having rebound fllushing?

My eyes do not bother me really. Do most people get it in their eyes?

Also, my nose is either hot or cold. Sometimes it is freezing and my face feels warm/hot. What can be done about nose flushing? It is very uncomfortable and embarrassing.
              I would like to put this into remission and I'm wondering if that can be done since I caught it early. Would lasers help me?

I am pretty devastated right now. I just cannot believe that this is happening to me and I am afraid that I will never be happy because I will always be thinking about my skin. You said that it's possible to get to that place. When people say that they "have their rosacea under control, does that mean that they aren't actively experiencing symptoms?

Thank you so much for helping me!

Pam
              Hi Pam, you are very welcome. I know what it is like to be scared and not know what is happening with your face. It is scary in the beginning because it feels like you do not have control over what is happening but just take a deep breath and know others here have been through what you are dealing with and you will be OK.

Once your face calms down (it could be due to the steroid use but I cannot say definitively and if you do a search on the RF you will find more info re steroid rosacea) your nose flushing will be better controlled. I would hold off on lasers right now as you need to give your face time to recover from the steroid use.

Be careful with the icepacks as that can cause rebound flushing. Try cushioning with lots of layers of material so the ice so it is not directly on your face.

You will get to a place where your rosacea is better controlled and while you might still have to deal with flares etc your life will not be ruled by your rosacea symptoms.
              Please hang in there and know you will be OK.

Best,
              Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa. Thanks responding to my post..

Also, thanks for saying that I will ok. Do you have yours controlled? How long did it take you?

My nose has been bothering me a lot. I have a constant pressure in my nose and ears. The only thing that works is putting my head back. I do have allergies so I guess it could be it. Can rosacea affect our inner ear? That's crazy if it can!

I don't know if this steroid rebound. It's been a week since I been off of them.

This nose flushing, I think, might drive me nuts! My nose tingles and then it turns bright red and hot. I was a little anxious before it happened. Stress and anxiety never used to do this to me. Is there a medication that could help me? I've read about clonidine helping some peoples flushing.

I am using the ice packs on my face and use wet washcloths. I have been waking up very flushed but it goes away after I'm up for a little.

I don't really know how to control this. I flush while I'm sleeping, when I am sitting for no reason.. but I did notice that tonight I flushed an hour after eating a piece of apple pie. Not sure there is a connection.

Is there a diet I could try?
                !
                Hoe can I keep it mild? Avoiding triggers? Do I really have to modify my lifesstyle

I don't want this to ruin my life. Some people say it gets better, others say it gets worse. Could this just be a flare and then my skin will go back to a "normal" For example, my nose is flushed bright red. I look very bad because the rest of my skin looks ok. Do the nose flushes get worse? I hope they get better!! I used to like my appearance but not so much now.

If I go down the laser road, could they reduce the flushing and burning?

When people say they have their rosacea controlled what do they mean? The don't have flushes. Etc?

How do you stay positive when you have rosacea? You mentioned that I will stop thinking about it everyday?
                I get so upset because I see people with a really nice complexion or a person outside running in the heat.

I appreciate you writing me back. You are giving some hope for the future. So I will somewhat live a normal life with this?

Any idea why I flush at night?

Sorry this is so long. I am feeling pretty devastated. Is your rosacea much better than used to be?

Is it possible if I decided to use laser that they could put me in remission? I just started real

Comment

Some of your questions are covered in the FAQs, i.e., What is a rosacea trigger? or Can Rosacea Go into Remission?. How to maintain a positive attitude you might want to read this post.
                  Brady Barrows
                  Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by freeme3 View Post
                    Hi Melissa. Thanks responding to my post..

Also, thanks for saying that I will ok. Do you have yours controlled? How long did it take you?

My nose has been bothering me a lot. I have a constant pressure in my nose and ears. The only thing that works is putting my head back. I do have allergies so I guess it could be it. Can rosacea affect our inner ear? That's crazy if it can!

I don't know if this steroid rebound. It's been a week since I been off of them.

This nose flushing, I think, might drive me nuts! My nose tingles and then it turns bright red and hot. I was a little anxious before it happened. Stress and anxiety never used to do this to me. Is there a medication that could help me? I've read about clonidine helping some peoples flushing.

I am using the ice packs on my face and use wet washcloths. I have been waking up very flushed but it goes away after I'm up for a little.

I don't really know how to control this. I flush while I'm sleeping, when I am sitting for no reason.. but I did notice that tonight I flushed an hour after eating a piece of apple pie. Not sure there is a connection.

Is there a diet I could try?
                    !
                    Hoe can I keep it mild? Avoiding triggers? Do I really have to modify my lifesstyle

I don't want this to ruin my life. Some people say it gets better, others say it gets worse. Could this just be a flare and then my skin will go back to a "normal" For example, my nose is flushed bright red. I look very bad because the rest of my skin looks ok. Do the nose flushes get worse? I hope they get better!! I used to like my appearance but not so much now.

If I go down the laser road, could they reduce the flushing and burning?

When people say they have their rosacea controlled what do they mean? The don't have flushes. Etc?

How do you stay positive when you have rosacea? You mentioned that I will stop thinking about it everyday?
                    I get so upset because I see people with a really nice complexion or a person outside running in the heat.

I appreciate you writing me back. You are giving some hope for the future. So I will somewhat live a normal life with this?

Any idea why I flush at night?

Sorry this is so long. I am feeling pretty devastated. Is your rosacea much better than used to be?

Is it possible if I decided to use laser that they could put me in remission? I just started real
                    Hi Pam,
                    My rosacea is better. In the beginning I used to flush and burn at the slightest provocation and now it takes more to make me flush/burn. I am also on Oracea which helps quite a bit with papules as I also get that but much less so since I have been taking Oracea.

Once your skin calms down your rosacea will be less reactive. I would wait a bit before considering lasers as that is pretty invasive and while it certainly can help with flushing you may also calm down on your own especially if yours was steroid induced. Once your skin heals from the steroid use you will see improvement. How long that will take I do not know but patience is truly key. While I understand how you want relief as soon as possible know that it is worth the wait and if you do something more invasive it might backfire while your skin is still recovering from the steroid use.

Regarding diet there is so much on the RF about this. Search about this topic and read what has helped others. Many have been helped by reducing sugar/carbs etc. There is much info regarding this topic here.

How do I maintain a positive attitude? In the beginning I was very depressed and scared. But as I came to terms with what was happening I realized I had no choice. I could let this rule my life and ruin everything or I could make the best of it and do what I could to find relief while still enjoying everything and everyone in my life. I decided not to let rosacea be the boss of me and while I still had bad days where I felt sad and down they became fewer and further apart and I adapted the best I could.

I am lucky in that I have a wonderful and supportive husband who loves me no matter what and a great family. I appreciate all the good I have in my life despite rosacea. I certainly was not going to let rosacea take my happiness from me. What you need to remember is that everyone has some issue(s) they are dealing with in life. No one gets out unscathed. You may not see this as visibly as you do with rosacea but know it is still there. No one's life is perfect 100% of the time.

You must learn to deal with whatever adversity you face and be resilient because what other choice is there? You cannot control everything but you can control how you react/feel and deal with what you cannot control. One of my very favorite sayings is from John Milton: “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.”

So know you will find relief but also know while you are dealing with the very worst of it be strong and enjoy the good things you have. Having rosacea showed me who really loves me for me and who wasn't worth the time and energy and that in itself is a blessing. Life is short and fragile and I do not want to waste one minute on people who are not worth my time and energy and rosacea allowed me to weed out the bad and keep the good.

Internalize the fact that rosacea is not the boss of you and you are not going to let it take all the good from your life. You are going to be just fine and stronger than before rosacea. Hang in there, be patient, be proactive and maintain your sense of humor. We are here to help and use the RF to your best advantage. Take your time and read about what other people have gone through and what worked for them. Everyone is different and has something to offer from their perspective. Use what applies to you and take your time.

Best,
                    Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. I've been feeling a little overwhelmed these days and it helps to hear from someone who has gone through this.

I am not 100% sure I have rosacea, so I guess I just need wait things out. I am feeling a little better since I've been off of the steroid cream. I am using metrocream so maybe that is helping too. I seem to really only get flushy/blotchy at night. I'm not sure why that is though.

I guess you could say that I am in denial and am holding onto the hope that it is something else. Maybe food allergies? I have a lot of seasonal allergies so I guess that could be the case. My nose can get red and hot sometimes after I cry or feel anxious. I guess even normal people's do?? I just am so anxious over all of this. I look in the mirror 50 times a day, don't want to get out of bed in the morning, etc... I have become like hyper aware of my sensations. On Christmas, I was afraid to laugh in case my nose turned red. Well, it didn't but I was so aware of it. You are right in that I cannot control everything that happens to me, but I can control how I act. I guess I just feel very sad. I am afraid to leave the house for fear that I'll have an episode.

I have been battling another chronic illness and almost have it under control. It took a lot of my life away from me (I'm 31.) The thought of losing more after almost finding my way is heart breaking and makes me want to throw up. But, I don't really have another option. I know that you said that you were ok after awhile but had a difficult time in the beginning. I'm sure that would be the case for me but I am not sure. I think that I would have trouble avoiding triggers and getting emotional over things.

You are very lucky to have a supportive husband and family! I'm sure they helped get you through the tough times.

I guess I am just afraid of how I will look (if I have this). I'm not trying to sound vain but that is a big scare for me. I feel like I've worked so hard to get better from fibromyalgia that I should be able to relish in my success.

I really only flush at night when I lay down. I get this tingling sensation around my mouth then these blotches appear on my chin and around my mouth. Sometimes the rednesss is on my outer cheeks. I wonder if I am allergic to something. I thought that I read that you can't get rosacea above your upper lip? I get blotchy there too. My nose turns red and feels swollen at times. Sometimes it's not red but still feels swollen. I wonder if that is a part of an allergic reaction too. I think I read on the forum about a boy whose flushing and redness went away after he stopped eating oranges and apples.

Anyway, I hope that my message isn't too long. I guess I just had a lot to get out. Oh one more thing... is it possible that my condition won't get any worse? I pretty much look normal most of the time except for at night when I get the blotchiness? Does my condition sound like anything else besides rosacea?

Thanks again,
                      Pam

Comment

Hi Pam, you should check this thread out for differential diagnoses when you have the time.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...octor-checking

You managed to get through and do well with fibromyalgia and that is no small feat. You should be proud of yourself and you are not going to let this conquer you.

I know it is difficult but try not to stress too much. One day at a time. You will be OK- it just might take time to find what works best for you. A good doctor working with you is key IMO.

Hang in there and all the best for a happy and healthy New Year.

Melissa

Comment

A few more questions...

Hello again. I apologize for posting a lot on this forum, but I have a lot questions.

If I do have rosacea, it is very mild. I really do not flush that much...my nose turns red and stays red for awhile after crying. Sometimes it's just randomly red from my allergies but goes away pretty fast. My nose does feel swollen a lot, not sure if that is from allergies or what. It especially feels swollen after I am crying. I was flushing a lot the week following the use of the topical steroid, locoid, but my face isn't flushing like that anymore. It has settled down for the most part (knock on wood) and the metrocream seems to be helping. Is metro some sort of anti-inflammatory?

My face does often feel irritated/burny and dry at times. I was at my grandma's for new years and the kitchen was like an oven. I tried to stay out of there as much as I could, but the heat was coming in to the living room so I was feeling hot. My face did not turn red or flush but it started to feel dry, warm and irritated. I drank water and sucked on ice cubes all day so for the most part, I was ok. My skin felt better after being at home, washing my face and putting the metro cream and emu oil on. I just CANNOT stand that burning sensation. I hate pain, especially on my face, it makes me miserable!!

I really would like to keep this condition under control and hopefully into remission. It is very mild and ny face generally looks very good. No one would really know that I might have rosacea. The trouble is, it's ALWAYS on my mind. I am obsessed with keeping my face cool by trying not to get too overheated with exercise and pretty much daily living. It is a bit wearing on me. I'm actually afraid to exercise for fear of a flare. Anyone have some tips on how to just relax? I worry that if I relax and take my mind off of my skin, it will flare up. I am really trying hard to prevent this from progressing.

Here are a few more questions that I have. I really hope someone could help me out..

I have read the key to successful management of rosacea is early diagnosis and treatment. Am I doing enough to prevent the progression by using metrocream 2x a day, and avoiding triggers (wind, hot showers, hot drinks/foods, etc.)? I don't have the p&p's just some blotchiness. The metrocream seems to be helping with the inflammation so that is good. My worst symptom is the burning but it seems to be ok lately. Is there anything else I could do on the preventative front? I have thought about lasers but at this point, I am concerned that I would flare it up and it seems to be settling down for the most part.

I am trying to think positive about my skin because if I think it will get worse, I really start to panic and my face burns. It's mind over matter but it's this dark cloud following me around all day and I am constantly pushing it away. I do have a reason to believe that it won't get any worse because I am treating it early, right??

Should I ask my doctor about adding oracea? What about clonidine? I tried propranlol but it didn't do me any good.

My nose sometimes looks like it is sumburn and heats up when I get even a little bit emotional. It also got red and hot after vacuuming the house the other day. This upset me because I realize that every time I turn red, I am worsening the problem. What about exercise?? I love to run.. sigh... would clonidine help this flush?

I am concerned what my skin will be like in the summer. Will I have to give up my beach vacations? Is it possible to put it into remission at this early stage?

What else can I do to better my chances of keeping this mild?

I really appreciate everyone who has written to me, especially Melissa. I have been through the ringer the past few years... neck surgery, fibromyalgia, now this and I am only 31!! I am successfully managing the fibromyalgia but I took quite a blow when I first was diagnosed. I felt robbed of my life but luckily I found something that is working for me. I would rather not get robbed again but it's somewhat out of my control. I've been very upset about this whole face thing but am learning that if I can think differently about my situation, then I won't feel as bad. I used to think, "I will be happy when my fibromyalgia is better, or when my neck is fixed," etc. But then there is always something else.. another condition that comes into play. I guess I need to work on being happy in the here and now. But... I'd still like to keep this from getting worse. Any tips on how to do that is welcomed! For me, lately, my anxiety about having something wrong with my skin and worrying about if it will get worse has been worse than the actual physical symptoms that I am experiencing. Is it possible that I am making too big of a deal? Melissa said that I can get better once I find something that works for me, then it won't rule my life. (Thanks, Melissa! Your positivity is awesome!) I just hate hearing that "rosacea is progressive," blah, blah blah. Sometimes I feel like my skin is a ticking time bomb and that scares the crap out of me but then I remember that it doesn't always get worse for people and that early detection and treatment is best.

Also, what can I put on my face to soothe the burning and irritation? I think that I read something about an oatmeal mask or milk?

Thank you all and sorry so long!

Pam
                          Last edited by freeme3; 2 January 2012, 06:46 AM.

Comment

i relate 100%-still searching for my saving grace. the clonidine seemed to help me mentally but made me more photo-sensitive. tried Oracea but it too made me flush really bad when i went outside, so def a no go as i work outside. i take several vitamins, drink a lot of water and and restrict myself from a lot of foods, alcohol, and most exercise, which of course is difficult, but im still learning myself.
                            BEST of luck to you and all of us!

Comment

Hi Pam, please feel free to post as much as you want- no need to apologize at all. And thank you for your kind words. I can so empathize with everything you are going through and my heart goes out to you.

I also felt the same way that every time I would flush/burn/go red I was doing further damage and I would be so stressed because it was impossible not to all the time. Well I can report that over 5 years of dealing with (diagnosed rosacea- because I certainly had it before I was formally diagnosed I just didn't realize it but looking back I had it since I was an adolescent) rosacea I am no worse now than I was then.

I still flush and burn but less than when I was first diagnosed and even with my flushing/burning my skin texture is still good and most of the time I look fine. Winter is my worst time because of all the indoor heating (I also hate hot kitchens and totally relate to what you went through- my parents and sister love keeping their homes so hot in the winter sigh...) but even with dealing with the flushing of indoor heat and change in temps I am no worse off than 5+ years ago.

There has been no progression and there has definitely been improvement. It doesn't rule my life and I am not constantly thinking about my rosacea. You will get there. I agree with you in that dry skin is more likely to flush/burn and that is why keeping your face moisturized is key. I find that when I moisturize my face enough (I use Eucerin original cream in the white tub) I am less likely to experience burning/flushing. I carry moisturizer with me because I often need to remoisturize throughout the day. It really helps me. Maybe this is something that will work for you too.

As for what will work best for you it is so individual a response. For example Oracea has been such a huge help to me but not for rcb67. For any treatment you really have to trial it yourself to see if it will work. Oracea (and most topical treatment) takes up to 4 months for maximum efficiency so it is a slow process figuring out what will and what won't work for you.

It is also best to trial one new treatment at a time to see what specifically is helping and what is not. When my derm first diagnosed me I asked him what could I put on my face when I was flushing to alleviate the burning and he recommended whole milk compresses. I did that for a while and I think it might have helped but now what I do (if I can at the time it occurs that is) is make sure my skin is moisturized and drink/eat something cold as that does help alleviate the burning as well. Some people find help with cool compresses/fans etc. I would again just caution you to to indirect cool air on your face- not direct as to minimize any chance of rebound flushing.

Pam, it might be impossible to eliminate all flushing/burning but I can tell you that each episode of flushing/burning will not necessarily (look at my case and many others here) make you worse or progress your rosacea so please try not to worry and stress about it.

Hang in there Pam. I think we can all understand your anxiety, frustration and fear of what the future might hold but if we are any indication you needn't worry so much as you will be fine. I am a worrier too (believe it or not LOL) and I find that living in the moment, one day at a time (but still aware of what you need to do to maximize your future happiness) is the best formula for contentment in life. You can only control so much and all you can do is the best you can- so continue experimenting to find what works best and try not to stress about what you cannot control and the future will be just fine- good in fact. You must not let worry and fear consume you as that is way more damaging than the rosacea ever could be. You will be OK.

Best, Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X