Global AD

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My derm spends 2 minutes with me and puts a peel on my face....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My derm spends 2 minutes with me and puts a peel on my face....

Today was my second visit with the latest derm I went to who I decided to try to listen to. I was appalled at how little time he took with me AGAIN on my second visit. I was in and out in what seemed like 30 seconds. He put a chemical peel on my face with a swab....I tried asking what it was before he put it on my face and still have no idea exactly what it was. I felt some tingling though which he told me would happen after he put it on. I didn't even get to address some concerns I have and wanted to tell him I think these super tiny tiny bumps I have all over my face may be spreading to my neck now.

He is at least the first doctor to have prescribed me a pill to battle my problem so I thought I would go with trying things out with him but now I am just pissed and upset.

During my first visit with him two weeks ago, he told me I have acne rosacea just like 2 other doctors did. I asked him on the initial visit if he was sure and his answer didn't make me feel satisfied he was positive. He gave me metrogel and clindamycin lotion. I tried the metrogel and lotion together for a few days and then gave up. I started noticing the metrogel on its own was making the skin pinker. The oral antibiotic he gave me was monodox which I believe was helping slightly for the bumps on my face but now in it's second week of use, it doesn't seem to be progressing any further. I have been noticing some small hives and shortness of breath since using it so today the derm told me to stop it's use since I was having that problem and he said it's a shame because it was really helping me. He told me to stop the metrogel too and just use the clindamycin.....so basically the only thing I'm now using to battle rosacea is clindamycin lotion....

And today, a chemical peel I didn't even permit.

What should I do? Is this normal to even be on clindamycin alone for rosacea? Do I need another derm or are chemical peels normal?

I have been collecting anecdotal reports of visits taking less than five minutes and added yours to the list. Whether a dermatologist only takes five minutes or less is a rather controversial subject because some in the thread I linked to feel that it is quite proper to diagnose rosacea in less than five minutes. I suppose that the diagnosis could be correct most of the time since with their education, experience and wisdom most competent dermatologists can diagnose rosacea in less than five minutes. However, there is a significant number of reports of misdiagnosed rosacea which I have also been collecting. In the first thread above of anecdotal reports of diagnosing rosacea in less than five minutes which the number of them is significant enough to warrant a possibility that taking a short time to diagnose and not spending enough time taking a history, physical exam, tests, etc., to rule out rosacea mimics, other skin conditions or other co-existing skin conditions may be one of the reasons why there is a significant number of reports of misdiagnosed rosacea. I have a post on this subject with comments.

It appears that you been to three dermatologists who have all diagnosed you with rosacea. You do have a right to know what the skin peel was about since it is your body and the results of any tests done if that is the case. I would imagine that a fourth diagnosis from another dermatologist would give a similar diagnosis. It would be good to get an explanation of what the chemical peel was about. An easy way to go about this would be to call the receptionist and ask her for the results over the phone. If this doesn't work you might ask to speak to the physician over the phone, explaining to the receptionist that it would only take the doc five minutes or less to answer your question.

Basically, if you don't agree with the treatment you have the right to refuse the treatment. Otherwise, you simply agree with the treatment of the clindamycin and go back for a follow up visit in the future to show the doc the results. A lot of treatment for rosacea is, "Try this and call me if you have any problems, set up a follow up visit." If this doesn't work, the derms try another treatment. That is basically the AMA way. If you keep reading more threads in this forum you will discover a number of alternatives to the AMA way of treating rosacea. This is not to say that the AMA way doesn't work. It works for some. But many have found the AMA treatment for rosacea wanting and have looked for alternatives.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
      I have been collecting anecdotal reports of visits taking less than five minutes and added yours to the list. Whether a dermatologist only takes five minutes or less is a rather controversial subject because some in the thread I linked to feel that it is quite proper to diagnose rosacea in less than five minutes. I suppose that the diagnosis could be correct most of the time since with their education, experience and wisdom most competent dermatologists can diagnose rosacea in less than five minutes. However, there is a significant number of reports of misdiagnosed rosacea which I have also been collecting. In the first thread above of anecdotal reports of diagnosing rosacea in less than five minutes which the number of them is significant enough to warrant a possibility that taking a short time to diagnose and not spending enough time taking a history, physical exam, tests, etc., to rule out rosacea mimics, other skin conditions or other co-existing skin conditions may be one of the reasons why there is a significant number of reports of misdiagnosed rosacea. I have a post on this subject with comments.

It appears that you been to three dermatologists who have all diagnosed you with rosacea. You do have a right to know what the skin peel was about since it is your body and the results of any tests done if that is the case. I would imagine that a fourth diagnosis from another dermatologist would give a similar diagnosis. It would be good to get an explanation of what the chemical peel was about. An easy way to go about this would be to call the receptionist and ask her for the results over the phone. If this doesn't work you might ask to speak to the physician over the phone, explaining to the receptionist that it would only take the doc five minutes or less to answer your question.

Basically, if you don't agree with the treatment you have the right to refuse the treatment. Otherwise, you simply agree with the treatment of the clindamycin and go back for a follow up visit in the future to show the doc the results. A lot of treatment for rosacea is, "Try this and call me if you have any problems, set up a follow up visit." If this doesn't work, the derms try another treatment. That is basically the AMA way. If you keep reading more threads in this forum you will discover a number of alternatives to the AMA way of treating rosacea. This is not to say that the AMA way doesn't work. It works for some. But many have found the AMA treatment for rosacea wanting and have looked for alternatives.
      Thank you for what you wrote. I am a bit confused though. A chemical peel is supposed to show results? You think he took a sample of my skin somehow? I think he would have told me if he took a sample for testing. He just told me the peel would close up the large pores. But I don't know what it was and I didn't permit it. I had no idea I was going to get it. I imagine another derm would give the same diagnosis too. None of the doctors have take a good close look at my skin and listened to me fully explain everything that led me to where I am and what I can see on my skin that maybe they aren't seeing from a distance. Ever derm has looked from 2-3 feet away

Comment

Originally posted by birdsing View Post
        Thank you for what you wrote. I am a bit confused though. A chemical peel is supposed to show results? You think he took a sample of my skin somehow? I think he would have told me if he took a sample for testing. He just told me the peel would close up the large pores. But I don't know what it was and I didn't permit it. I had no idea I was going to get it. I imagine another derm would give the same diagnosis too. None of the doctors have take a good close look at my skin and listened to me fully explain everything that led me to where I am and what I can see on my skin that maybe they aren't seeing from a distance. Ever derm has looked from 2-3 feet away
        If the doc told you that the chemical peel would 'close up the large pores' then I suppose that was why he did it and it wasn't a clinical test. What you might ask the doc is for a demodex density count to rule out demodectic rosacea which requires a skin scraping and examination under a microscope. Some docs dismiss the role of demodex in rosacea but the evidence is overwhelming that demodectic rosacea is a variant of rosacea that should be ruled out in a diagnosis. There are numerous reports from this forum that treatment for demodex helps some. Galderma is working on a new prescription involving metronidazole and ivermectin. It that doesn't convince the docs that they need to rule out demodex then they will continue to operate in the dark, just like the mites. I think the days of the demodex is an innocent bystander and that demodex plays a minor role in rosacea is numbered and that more treatment for demodex will be coming down the pipeline awakening these docs to demodectic rosacea. Of course, not all rosacea involves demodex. But it should be ruled out.
        Brady Barrows
        Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by birdsing View Post
          Today was my second visit with the latest derm I went to who I decided to try to listen to. I was appalled at how little time he took with me AGAIN on my second visit. I was in and out in what seemed like 30 seconds. He put a chemical peel on my face with a swab....I tried asking what it was before he put it on my face and still have no idea exactly what it was. I felt some tingling though which he told me would happen after he put it on. I didn't even get to address some concerns I have and wanted to tell him I think these super tiny tiny bumps I have all over my face may be spreading to my neck now.

He is at least the first doctor to have prescribed me a pill to battle my problem so I thought I would go with trying things out with him but now I am just pissed and upset.

During my first visit with him two weeks ago, he told me I have acne rosacea just like 2 other doctors did. I asked him on the initial visit if he was sure and his answer didn't make me feel satisfied he was positive. He gave me metrogel and clindamycin lotion. I tried the metrogel and lotion together for a few days and then gave up. I started noticing the metrogel on its own was making the skin pinker. The oral antibiotic he gave me was monodox which I believe was helping slightly for the bumps on my face but now in it's second week of use, it doesn't seem to be progressing any further. I have been noticing some small hives and shortness of breath since using it so today the derm told me to stop it's use since I was having that problem and he said it's a shame because it was really helping me. He told me to stop the metrogel too and just use the clindamycin.....so basically the only thing I'm now using to battle rosacea is clindamycin lotion....

And today, a chemical peel I didn't even permit.

What should I do? Is this normal to even be on clindamycin alone for rosacea? Do I need another derm or are chemical peels normal?
          Wow, I don't think I like your doctor very much. He applied a chemical peel without even asking your permission! My doctor has suggested that I might benefit from a Glycolic Peel as it can help with clogged pores and acne. I've told him no thanks and he doesn't try to force it on me.
          Some Rosaceans do well with the peels, others get irritation from it. Hopefully it will be a good thing for you.

-Dave-

Comment

with the derm.

Comment

Working...
            X