Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa I was planning on building a led set-up as a summer project. Just thought i'd mention a site I found with led's a bit cheaper than 'super bright leds'.

\http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata...t_id=e1503srcf

This model seems to have 4000 mcd whereas the highest 660nm light from super bright leds were 2400 per bulb. Just thought you could take a look at it.

Ill update you in a few months when its all finished along with pictures.

Comment

Thanks Daftpunk and good luck!! Let us know how it goes

Comment

Melissa, when you get a chance could you ask your husband how many hours he put into creating the device?

Are you still using yours on a regular basis? How is that working for you?

Comment

Hey Daftpunk,
          My husband said it took him approximately 20-25 hours from start to finish including thinking about design to completion.

I have been delinquent in using the device in the last year but I do want to start again. I am not going to make excuses except to say that I have been doing knock wood pretty good re flushing so I got lazy with using the RLT. I think I will start again Monday. Thanks for the push! And good luck to you!!

Melissa

Comment

Hi all,
            Im gonna have a go at building one of these however i dont seem to be able to find a stockist who can provide the exact LED mentioned. The best i have found is as follows:

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcl0...red/dp/1581177

I have been told the LED is clear and is not as per the picture. However the Wavelength and Intensity is slighly different. Will this still have the same effect?
            If not has anyone UK based managed to build one of these? If so did you manage to find a UK supplier for the LED's?

Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Melissa, this is a great how-to. My father is suffering from early-stage Alzheimer's, and LLLT/LED Therapy is supposedly quite efficacious. I'm interested in either hacking together a helmet/wrap of sorts for him. I was thinking around 500-1000 LEDs. The best wavelength is around 830-850 infrared. They have to physically touch the scalp to penetrate enough. Could you offer any advice or direction on a good vector to go about this?

A bit of reference,
              http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...rpratch_02.jpg

http://memorablepets.com/wp-content/...3378069-18.jpg

Thanks kindly,
              Brad

Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
              Hey Daftpunk,
              My husband said it took him approximately 20-25 hours from start to finish including thinking about design to completion.

I have been delinquent in using the device in the last year but I do want to start again. I am not going to make excuses except to say that I have been doing knock wood pretty good re flushing so I got lazy with using the RLT. I think I will start again Monday. Thanks for the push! And good luck to you!!

Melissa

Comment

Brad,

I working on the design of general purpose, high power, LLLT units. There is a website created to show how to do it, but it is not complete yet. This would probably be a good fit. I did not hear that LLLT could help Alzheimer's. Someone in my family is starting to suffer symptoms so I am motivated to give it a shot. Most of the google results were from 2008/2009 and not much since then so I am wondering if they just hoped it worked, but did not pan out?

Also, I don't think you need to touch the skin. You just need sufficient power. I am building a red light unit with a mixture of 630nm, 660nm, and 680nm that has more power than I anything I have seen out there (for full face). So it would only be a matter of changing to the correct LED wavelength. It was interesting to see the fans on that unit. You will definitely need a way to cool it. I prefer passive cooling, but that does require a lot of heatsink volume. The good thing is they have some very high power LED's now (CREE or the like), as opposed to the old surface mount LED's which are very low power by comparison.

We could probably talk outside of this thread further though. For others, I will give the link for high power DIY solutions after the website is complete.

Comment

LED file as PDF

Hi, sorry it was a while ago and my old url no longer works. I have attached the original file here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X