Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which RLT/LLLT unit?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So which unit can I use to treat my face with infrared and my eyes with just red?

    Is there a unit that switches between the two.

    Or will I be OK with just closing my eyes.

    I understand infrared can cause damage to the retina - but if I close my eyes will this still happen? Bit confusing as it penetrates deep into the skin, but surely there is some difference if my eyes are closed?

    We're taking ocular rosacea when I say my eyes btw

    Comment


    • Originally posted by moore778899 View Post
      Is there a unit that switches between the two.

      Or will I be OK with just closing my eyes.

      I understand infrared can cause damage to the retina - but if I close my eyes will this still happen? Bit confusing as it penetrates deep into the skin, but surely there is some difference if my eyes are closed?

      We're taking ocular rosacea when I say my eyes btw
      I use the Britebox Revive with both red and infrared and haven't noticed any eye irritation from it. If anything, my eyes are less itchy and less red. When they do get irritated, it is less frequent. I generally read the news on my iPhone while sitting in front of the red light so my eyes are mostly open. The instructions to my unit also said you do not need any eye protection with red and infrared. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about any dangers with RLT as it is one of the least invasive treatments we have. I hope this helps.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by shrimpy View Post
        I use the Britebox Revive with both red and infrared and haven't noticed any eye irritation from it. If anything, my eyes are less itchy and less red. When they do get irritated, it is less frequent. I generally read the news on my iPhone while sitting in front of the red light so my eyes are mostly open. The instructions to my unit also said you do not need any eye protection with red and infrared. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about any dangers with RLT as it is one of the least invasive treatments we have. I hope this helps.
        Great. Thanks. Do you still do the warm compress?

        How has the unit helped you?

        Comment


        • Risk of different light wavelengths to eyes

          This article may be of interest as it includes a graph showing the risk to eyes from different light wavelengths.

          http://www.hellascams.gr/grc/product...luminators.pdf

          Source

          If I understand the graph correctly, it is saying that 1000 is the highest risk and 1 is the lowest risk.

          I know blue light can damage eyes and is a lower light band (475nm) then infrared (790nm). Therefore, the higher the light band the lower the risk to eyes.

          It seems to suggest that in the article the Infrared is about 100 times less hazardous. then blue light.

          So to round up, it seems based on this, that it is actually less harmful to your eyes using infrared then red for example. Contray to some of the assumptions made on this forum.

          Now I'm no expert, so if I have got any of this wrong, please tell me!!

          PS - we're talking about LEDs here not lasers which a lot of the research relating to damage to eyes from infrared is on.

          Comment


          • Just found this too which could contradict the above article (haven't had a chance to read it all yet): http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp_EyeSafety.pdf

            Source

            Comment


            • I'm sorry for the multiple posts, it wouldn't let me edit my original.

              This article seems to back up the first post: http://www.plaintree.com/pdf/Plaintr...vs%20Laser.PDF

              Source

              Although again, it's still slightly unclear...In one line it says that Infrared CAN damage the retina by means of heat, but much less the lasers (3 to 4 magnitude less)...then later says 'currently it's systems use 830nm which are unconditionally safe"

              So complicated. The lower the wavelength the higher the risk, until you get to higher infrared, but not low infrared?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by moore778899 View Post
                Great. Thanks. Do you still do the warm compress?

                How has the unit helped you?
                I have never done warm compresses.

                The unit has helped with general redness, inflammation, and pore size. It has not helped with seb derm at all.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by moore778899 View Post
                  I'm sorry for the multiple posts, it wouldn't let me edit my original.

                  This article seems to back up the first post: http://www.plaintree.com/pdf/Plaintr...vs%20Laser.PDF

                  Source

                  Although again, it's still slightly unclear...In one line it says that Infrared CAN damage the retina by means of heat, but much less the lasers (3 to 4 magnitude less)...then later says 'currently it's systems use 830nm which are unconditionally safe"

                  So complicated. The lower the wavelength the higher the risk, until you get to higher infrared, but not low infrared?
                  Perhaps you should ask these questions to Dr. Crouch?

                  http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...with-Dr-Crouch

                  Comment


                  • Just to let you know, I've started a survey of 10 questions on the effectiveness of red light therapy here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...eic-dermatitis

                    Will be great if you could participate!

                    Will be interesting to see the results

                    Comment


                    • RLT or collagen lamp primarily is for growing collagen layer in the skin.
                      Collagen is present in blood vessels as well. So, it appears that by stimulating collagen growth, it would stimulate blood vessels as well?
                      That’s what we don’t want to happen?

                      Comment


                      • I remember asking TP same question years ago - I think she said something along the lines of - it only helps the healthy ones

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by buratino29 View Post
                          RLT or collagen lamp primarily is for growing collagen layer in the skin.
                          Collagen is present in blood vessels as well. So, it appears that by stimulating collagen growth, it would stimulate blood vessels as well?
                          That’s what we don’t want to happen?
                          You have to balance the anti-inflammatory effects of RLT and the boosting of collagen within a normative range as determined by your DNA. One could argue the contrary--that blood vessels are lacking in proper collagen content, or that their collagen fibers are worn out from so much dilation, and so are prone to being slack/loose and not constricting properly. Extra collagen in your arteries may provide a strengthening action. I believe this is one of the reasons grapeseed extract is recommended--it strengthens capillaries.

                          Don't take this quote as gospel, though--I don't know enough about the exact tissue matrix that gets laid down with different tissue types in the face.

                          The primary action for RLT in rosacea appears to be its anti-inflammatory effects. It has marked effects on the collagen of the skin. I have not done any biopsies on myself to know about the vasculature. "Increasing collagen production" does not mean a radical, uncontrolled, cancer-like proliferation of collagen-infused capillaries.

                          Best,

                          David
                          35 year-old male
                          Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
                          20 + laser treatments.
                          Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
                          BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
                          Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

                          Comment


                          • Updated recommendations for RLT/LLLT unit?

                            There doesn't seem to be any recent info here on units on the market in the US. Can anyone recommend one for rosacea 2?

                            Here are a couple of things on Amazon but I've no clue what to try:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-SS-77-A.../dp/B004REGO00
                            http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Healing.../dp/B003RYMH2K

                            much thanks,
                            carrie

                            Comment


                            • For the UK

                              I'm having trouble finding good devices in the UK. Anyone got recommendations?

                              I found these, anyone tried?

                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015G19CG..._R.czwbS89WV6N

                              https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0185PU7..._sadzwbZDCZQ9X

                              Thank you

                              Comment


                              • I've been reading Julie's blogs and watching her videos on the subject

                                https://rosyjuliebc.com/category/lif...light-therapy/
                                I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.


                                T-Shirt: "Laser skin treatment. That's what it is if you're wondering. Yes, it hurt."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X