• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    milewheeler

• milewheeler
    replied
    Originally posted by Artist View Post
    I should also say I think they are very expensive. The head is affordable - only $50. The whole lamp is $250 though. If they were cheaper I'd have five of them by now surrounding my head whenever I used them

Artist
    it is up to you which type of LED's you want to purchase or which you like to purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Artist

• Artist
    replied
    nullbit: That's great! Be sure to let us know how it goes after a period of time. Cheers! Artist

Leave a comment:

• nullbit
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up buying a single head red lamp Acnelamp. Should arrive any day now.

Leave a comment:

• Twickle Purple

• Twickle Purple
    replied
    I see it now... O

Leave a comment:

• Artist

• Artist
    replied
    I should also say I think they are very expensive. The head is affordable - only $50. The whole lamp is $250 though. If they were cheaper I'd have five of them by now surrounding my head whenever I used them

Artist

Leave a comment:

• Artist

• Artist
    replied
    It doesn't smell at all. I'd give it an 8/10 on build quality. I've tighten the main screw on the bottom once so far. I twist the neck a lot when using it, so I imagine I'll have to tighten it periodically. You have to peel back the bottom to do it.

What I like the most is that it works and I trust the device because it's what this company does. I've gotten great customer service, they send items promptly, no problems with billing, they answer my emails, and they seem like they know what they are talking about. I should let them know about that bottom main screw needing to be tightened. Maybe they could make the bottom in a way that would make it easier to get to that screw...or improve the connection in some way.

Cheers!

Artist

Leave a comment:

• fut

• fut
    replied
    Originally posted by nullbit

What's the build quality like? i.e. does it seem like it was made professionally, or in someone's garage?
    Unfortunately, the acne lamp I got started coming apart only a month after use. The neck came off the baswe (had to open the bottom to tigthten it again, it has loosened up again already.

Many screws are falling out. It still works and it seems like it will still continue to work, but the infrastructure (for a lack of better terms) isn't well built.

Leave a comment:

• nullbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Artist
    Yes I have an acnelamp. I have the single head red + near infrared combo. The bulbs are very slightly warm to the touch after 10 minutes or so, but the heat doesn't reach my face a few inches away...it doesn't radiate or emit warmth as far as I can tell. My face feels cool afterwards. I've had great results so far.

Cheers!

Artist
    Hey Artist,

Thanks for the info. Could I ask you a few more questions?

What's the build quality like? i.e. does it seem like it was made professionally, or in someone's garage?

Does it give off much of a plastic smell? Usually this wouldn't bother me, but since these things have to be used so regularly and close to the face, I'm concerned about the accumulative effect of inhaling plasticizers (which according to some sources are carcinogenic).

Leave a comment:

• Artist

• Artist
    replied
    Yes I have an acnelamp. I have the single head red + near infrared combo. The bulbs are very slightly warm to the touch after 10 minutes or so, but the heat doesn't reach my face a few inches away...it doesn't radiate or emit warmth as far as I can tell. My face feels cool afterwards. I've had great results so far.

Cheers!

Artist

Leave a comment:

• Twickle Purple

• Twickle Purple
    replied
    Hi nullbit,

Your comfort is the priority here!

I have read that the acnelamp is very well made. I know for sure that Artist has one, if she doesn't see this post, perhaps you could PM her?

Best wishes,
    Twickle Purple

Leave a comment:

• nullbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Twickle Purple
    How you making out with this nullbit?
    I have nothing against the people at Elixa, they seem like really nice people. Even with the best intentions though companies can make products that do stuff like this. I'm probably being over cautious; but I can't trust something that gets that gets so hot after only a few minutes, especially because I have to use it close to my face, and at night when I might fall asleep and leave it on.

This is all my slightly OCD driven opinion though. I know very little about electronics.

Probably will buy an acnelamp instead. What do people think of these in terms of quality?

Leave a comment:

• Twickle Purple

• Twickle Purple
    replied
    I contacted Elixa, they said it's normal for them to get very hot.

I'm probably making a deal of nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and use them, but set a timer so I don't fall asleep and leave them to heat up over night.
    How you making out with this nullbit?

Leave a comment:

• GJ

• GJ
    replied
    Originally posted by fut
    I live in the U.S. and haven't had any problems with an incorrect adaptor.
    Thanks for responding anyway, Fut. You are such a thoughtful and likeable member.

I am, of course, easily confused. Just today I learnt the difference between AC and DC electrical currents.

As did one of my arrays.

Leave a comment:

• IowaDavid

• IowaDavid
    replied
    Re: Quality of Elixa LEDs

I purchased two Elixa LEDs (also the same as the LEDMAN ones I think). I left one running for 15 min, and afterwards the base was extremely hot to the touch, and had that burnt plastic smell.

Have other people noticed this? Is this normal for this sort of device, or are these units a potential fire hazard?
    If you get close to a dense LED array--even if it's running at the standard current (say, 20ma)--it's going to put off heat. And yes--when you have the LEDs, solder, and resistors together, it does give off a mild smell of "burning plastic" (I'd actually call it more like "Star Wars action figure left on a light bulb), but, that's semantics ;) ).

They get warm to the touch, but shouldn't "extremely hot" at all. That's the entire purpose of LEDs--maximize light output in relation to a very low thermal waste.

Can you post pics of your array and link the supplier?

Leave a comment:

• fut

• fut
    replied
    Originally posted by GJ
    Hey Fut

First time up Elixa sent the correct three pin 240v adaptor with the array. On my second and third purchases they have sent - erroneously - some rather odd and rather small two pin transformers which are utterly useless over here.

Have they managed to send you the correct adaptors or, like me, have you had to pop down to B&Q to get the correct stuff?

Cheers
    I live in the U.S. and haven't had any problems with an incorrect adaptor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X