Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SURVEY | Effectiveness of light therapy for rosacea and/or seborrheic dermatitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• findingaway
    replied
    On a very positive note, since I adjust the dose to 10 minutes at 10mW/cm2 (3.5 cm away with the Red Omnilux) giving 6 J/cm2, my skin has responded extremely well. Plus giving myself a break of 48 hours between treatments.

I have also been soaking cotton pads in green tea and applying to my face for 20 mins and letting dry before treatment.

So maybe the combination is a winner!?

Also I flushed last night, but very quickly went back to my normal tone and the redness is definitely less.

What I have learned?: Less is definitely more!

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied
    Originally posted by findingaway View Post
    PS - just went onto the Dermalux site and it doesn't work and looks funny in google (no blurb under the heading).

www.dermalux.co.uk

Maybe they have gone bust?
    Hi

Thanks for your PM and I will try and reply at the weekend. No Dermalux didn't go bust but the two owners Adrian and Derrick were both in their 60's and a few years back decided to sell the company and retire to the golf course. Adrian was a scientist and somewhere on here you will find a copy of a report that he wrote about red light - just found this:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ight=warburton

As far as I remember they used to manufacture and sell health lamps to the medical industry and they also provided the lamps for the original acne trial carried out by Dr.Tony Chu at Hammersmith Hospital. Because of the positive results of this trial (around 75% of acne sufferers reported benefits with red/blue light) they went ahead and started producing these units for the general market in 1998 - you can probably still find some for sale on eBay.

As I was interested in trying this lamp out on my rosacea Dermalux sold me one of the prototypes before the main lamps were available and I found it helped but worked even better when I converted it with all red tubes. My progress was monitored by Dr. Chu over several years and you will find many posts on here and the RSC about my results with red light.

Thanks

Peter

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    PS - just went onto the Dermalux site and it doesn't work and looks funny in google (no blurb under the heading).

www.dermalux.co.uk

Maybe they have gone bust?

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Ah Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that.

I have developed large pores on my nose :/ and my cheeks were starting to go the same way. Hopefully I can stop that from happening and even reverse it. You may be able too also.

I had a look through the surveys...

One person who said their skin texture was 'hugely improved' gave the following answers under the RL unit section:

2. How often do you use your light device?
    15-20 minutes daily

3. How far from your face do you use the LEDs/Bulbs?
    6-8 inches

4. My device lights are:
    Just Red
    - Converted all red Dermalux Acne lamp

Not sure what power output (mW/cm2) the unit gives, but I'll try and find out. Then I can tell you roughly the 'dose'.

Another 'hugely improved'...

2-3 times a week

3-5 inches

4. My device lights are:
    Just Red
    - Photronic by Dermalux

Another 'improved a lot'...

5-10 minutes daily

1-3 inches

4. My device lights are:
    ledman red light

And another 'improved a lot'...

Weekly

1-3 inches

4. My device lights are:
    Just Red

One person who had said their skin texture had 'improved a lot' stopped using their unit (dunno what it was) because of skin lightening. RLT does lighten your skin apparently, but isn't that a good thing?

So as you can see, no definitive answers I'd take that as a good thing! I noticed my skin texture improve almost immediately. Within 3 sessions certainly.

SOD

I don't know much about it at all. Here is the thread I started: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...hing-about-SOD

The last post was from GJ with a link:

Originally posted by GJ View Post
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...din-pycnogenol

Hopefully that thread should answer some questions. I think I put up two links to the actual product - the second is the cheaper option.

I think this is the stuff: http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1821/

There must be others though.
    Last edited by findingaway; 27 January 2011, 12:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LisaA
    replied
    Hellos,

Thanks for the extra RLT info...maybe I'll try the LEDman and start very gently?
    For the people who said they had a big improvement in skin texture, are you able to tell me their unit and parameters? That is what I am most interested in (and not causing a flare of course).

Mistica: hmmm, it is hard to be objective sometimes. I remember being on a hol before I started my IPL and noticing these pore holes everywhere and my skin was def dry and flaking by then (all I was using was Cetaphil wash and no moisturiser). To me it seemed like I gently removed the dry skin with a microfibre cloth and bang, there they all were.

But, having said that I am pretty certain the pores in my T-zone are larger now after 3 IPLs. They look quite obvious now, esp in sunlight. And today a few are filled with pus stuff (a pustule? Woohoo, my first apart from a few I got on my nose after my first IPL). I would say the skin texture on my nose though is better since I started IPL.

Re ROS and SOD, I just know we used to do experiments looking at enzyme systems and when they uncoupled they would produce ROS, which we would try and limit by adding SOD. Not very useful for the face, although that supplement sounds interesting...in my case, things got much worse when I used ridiculous products (AHAs, alcohol!) and I think that sent the skin into an inflammatory state that the body tries to heal via VEGF upregulation (= more capillaries) and the crazy state would then produce ROS equalling more damage. Or something like that! This is probably all stuff you know but I am quite new to all of this. Every morning I wake up and curse myself for using those damn products.

Anyways,
    thanks
    Lisa.

Leave a comment:

• Mistica
    replied
    LisaA,

Did your skin texture get worse after IPL treatments? Does it look a bit like orange peel and does it lack moisture?

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    PS - I'd love to find out more about ROS and SOD if you have more info. There is a supplement you can take to boost SOD, thinking of trying that too.

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaA View Post
    cont'd...
    Sorry, I know you have said you are using Omnilux, but which model? And you use it 1 inch from your face for 8 mins, is that right? Do you move it constantly around during that time to cover all of your face? Any other tips?
    Hi Lisa,

It's all abit of experimenting to be honest. I use the Omnilux New-U as Rand says. I am gonna stick to just the NIR (830nm) as the red at 633nm seems to irritate a bit. I dont know as much as I'd like, but there is a difference between 633 nm and pretty much every other light treatment at 660 nm (we're talking red here).

I'm probably just confusing you more here, but if I don't see continued improvement with the Omnilux using NIR 830nm, then I'm going to buy an LEDman all red at 660nm.

What I'd be intereted to know is the 'dose' the survey uses are getting. To work out that you need 3 peices of info:
    1. The distance from their face they are holding it
    2. The length of time they are using it
    3. The mW/cm2 of their unit

The survey contains answers 1 & 2 and some people told me what unit they are using, so I'm gonna email the companies and ask them what mW/cm2 their units are. Then I can give you some idea of what others are using as a 'dose' (J/cm2).

I'm using my Omnilux at 830 nm (NIR) for 10 minutes at about 2-3 inches now. I changed it from an inch because it irritated too much.

Lisa, I'm afraid it's a bit if trial and error, but this is where the survey might come in useful so you can see what others are doing.

When I hit the magic formular I'll let you know!

Re, which unit to buy. If you get a less powerful unit it simply means you have to use it for longer (which seems to be a good thing from the reading i've done).

However...as I say without knowing the 'dose' of other people I can't comment too much!
    Last edited by findingaway; 26 January 2011, 08:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rand627
    replied
    He's using the Omnilux New-U. And gosh dang you spent a lot of time on that..great work!

Leave a comment:

• LisaA
    replied
    cont'd...
    Sorry, I know you have said you are using Omnilux, but which model? And you use it 1 inch from your face for 8 mins, is that right? Do you move it constantly around during that time to cover all of your face? Any other tips?

Leave a comment:

• LisaA
    replied
    Hmm...so much info to absorb there!
    Based on your replies I'm going to skip the Omnlux RLT...but I need some hope at improving skin texture so I think I'll purchase a home system.
    Findingaway: what system and parameters do you use? You have done a LOT of reaserch, I think I will go with what you are using.

Also, interesting your stuff on ROS and SOD...I used to work in a lab and know about this stuff a little. So, wouldn't antioxidants be really useful. I'm taking Vit E (tocopherals by Dr Vera), vit C and Cod liver oil with Vit A and D (I think lots of people take these). But I also think my serum with vit A,C,E (Mismo) has been useful (hard to know though because it has been at the same time as IPL). But why on earth would my skin texture continue to get worse when the redness/inflammation has been sig reduced (now 80% in general I think). Aargh...

Anyways..thanks for all the work you put into the survey.
    Lisa.

Leave a comment:

• Mistica
    replied
    They are a little cut off on the right side, which requires scrolling along.
    That must have taken you a long time to assemble.

I experienced heaps of pressure when trying the in office treatments and some in areas with the home units.

I don't want to do any more light therapy. At least, not for the foreseeable future.
    Currently I am being treated for stealth infections and so far it is what has helped most.

My severe explosive flushing has gone. (For now??) But I still flush, probably more like a regular rosacean. In the future? Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Hi Mistica,

I'm sorry you have had such an ordeal. But I genuinely think buying a low power LED device may well yeild different results. I find the device I have irritates the he'll out of my skin if I hold it too close or for too long. Equally, through painful trial and error, I am coming to the conclusion that my face doesn't like 633nm much, but likes 830nm. Definitely calms things down. But I need to give it a prolonged period to get any real indication.

You've just reminded me I was going to put a footnote about side effects. Most said no side effects, but one discontinued due to pressure and one had pressure in the early days but continued and it passed. Maybe that was your entry?

Did the surveys come out ok? On my computer they looked fine, but on my iPhone they are cut off at the side (right).

Leave a comment:

• Mistica
    replied
    Hi Findingaway,

I did post in your survey, but probably too late. Never mind.

I tried many in office treatments which made me worse as you know.

Two years later, which was around May last year 2010, I tried Bioptron light therapy, which is polarized light. Bioptron is an approved medical device made in Switzerland, but you won't find much about it's use in rosacea. Probably because it doesn't work.
    Or maybe simply because it is not well known. I don't know. I do know it only served to aggravate my face horrendously. But so did RLT.
    I bought the bioptron device for a completely different reason, and because it was advertised to be used for other skin conditions, I thought to try it on my face. I did speak to the company about it first. The rep was very good to me and let me trial it for 6 weeks prior to purchase as the units are pricey, unfortunately.

The light spectrum includes the range from 480nm - 3400nm. No UV light.

http://www.bioptron.eu/?m=409

Around the same time I purchased a very small RLT unit. Skin Physics. It was going a fair bit cheaper than the regular retail price. Still costly though. It has to be held against the skin in order for the light to be activated. I found this irritating to my face and triggered it with my thumb instead, so the light was positioned just clear of the skin. It has constant and pulsating modes.

Sadly, I didn't find either unit helpful. My case is so complex though, I don't feel I am a good comparison for anyone. These are simply my personal experiences.

Back to bioptron. I think this unit has some kind of physiological effect and is not just a gimmick as I have lent it to three people who have used it on arthritic and injury pain. Two gave up as about three hours later, their pain was worse than ever. A possible healing crisis? The other perservered and found some relief.

At the moment I am using it on my red swollen fingers, which look and act very much like rosacea. It helps a little.

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X