Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SURVEY | Effectiveness of light therapy for rosacea and/or seborrheic dermatitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• findingaway
    replied
    Well, after a pretty depressing rough ride recently, I am extremely pleased to report that before tonights RLT (infrared) I was still recovering from a flush from biking yesterday, that I am looking normal. Almost no permanent redness. I almost can't believe it.

I went for 18 minutes as close as I could get!

I will sleep happy tonight at least!

One note tho. Been having a lot of problems with a root canal tooth recently. It hurts to buggery to eat on. Managed to get the inflammation down a couple of times with green clay and strepsils lodged against the tooth for hours. These two methods done at separate times obviously!

But it wasn't until I did this session tonight that it started hurting again. I wonder if the RLT has trigger something as all this started shortly after getting the RL unit. I had the root canal done years ago (5 maybe) with no probs until now!

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    I too feel intimidated by the amount if info! and sorry to hear it is back!

I too mostly get the burning sensation with little or no redness. I started a post on it: http://www.google.co.uk/m/url?client...6M-_WBDgrAp9PA

RLT does help bring down inflammation. It is slow to work and you must build up slowly .

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• shibaluv
    replied
    inflammation

I am new to this forum and a little intimidated so please bare with me...I would like to "Thank" all that participate since this has been a lifesaver for me! I get a little overwhelmed by all the antidotes and suggestions, sometimes I am not sure which way to go,LOL! but grateful there is so much information to choose from.
    I was diagnosed many years ago when I drank some wine (I stopped drinking alcohol), it eventually went away on its own. I never really had another incident for about 18years (little ones here and there but nothing to speak of) I recently turned 50, was eating horribly..next thing I know I have a full on attack, this has been going on for about 4mnths now. My Dermo prescribed the basic Metrogel, Orecea. I have not filled presciptions. I feel it was in remission all these years and something really trigger it and would like to figure that out first.
    My gut tells me that it is hormonal based (perimenapausal) and everything that goes along with the change. I read much of what Irishgenes had to say and made much sense for me. I am sorry she has not been on the site for awhile, would love to know how she is doing.
    Anyways...sorry to make this a LONG story and get to the question on RLT. I was wondering if this helps with inflammation? Although, I feel my Rosacea is based on heat and would get many flushes in the beginning, I control it with Acupuncture/diet and now I am left with a constant inflammation to my face that heats up a little sometimes and has a burning sensation. I have pink cheeks always now...not too bad. I really feel more of a inflammation sensation that you really can't see. Different skin texture for sure.
    Does RLT help inflammation? or just flushing/burning? or are these the same thing?
    I am thinking of purchasing the Omnilux newU on amazon, unless you think the ledman is better.
    Thanks, Shibaluv

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Thought I'd update this thread as it's been a while now. I've been using infrared light (17 mins), then 2/3 days later using red (12 mins) then 2/3 days later, yellow (1 min) - all about 1 or 2 inches away from my face.

Apart from 2 flares since I started which unfortunely progressed my rosacea (lavender I think was responsible :/), my flushing is much reduced. The burning not so much so, but I think I keep aggravating it through random triggers (some days they ate triggers, others not).

Over time I am much more tolerant to the RLT. I rarely get red using it now whereas in the beginning I would always flare after using it.

I'll update again in a few months.
    Last edited by findingaway; 12 April 2011, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rand627
    replied
    Figured I'd post some updates here. I went off the D3 and the RLT and have been off for approx 2 weeks. I decided that I'd add some green tea to mix things up. I make as concentrated of green tea as I can and then mix it in with lotion and sunscreen. For a nightime version I use lotion and aloe vera. I put both on in the evening and morning. Also, I keep a cup with a bit of green tea at the bottom. I get the cotton and dab it on my face every night. I don't use cleansers anymore. If I do end up using them It'll be once a week at most.

This natural type of diet for my skin has done wonderfully. With the help of quinacrine my skin seems to be healing. Takes quite a bit for a fully fledged face to come. Burning has toned down quite a bit as well.

Food for thought!

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Definitely yellow causing flush

Well, I waited a week and used the yellow LED again (been using red inbetween).

I used it for only 60 seconds this time, 1 inch away. Big flush on my cheeks. It's so incredibly perplexing as it is so weak and on for such a short period of time...weird.

My cheeks have been a little less red, so maybe this will lead to a reduction in overall redness. My face has burned more though

Flushing still to a minimum which is pleasing.

I'll keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Update

Well it's been a while since I last updated, so thought i'd post.

One the positive, flushing has decreased a lot in recent weeks. Although my permanent redness has not decreased. Burning has been less overall, but has crept back a little recently. I am only using 833nm. 630nm seemed better for reducing burning, but I was flaring more using it, so I decided to stop.

I also brought an LED, 590nm unit from LEDman. Came today. I followed my exact same routine, although only used the unit about 1 inch away for 2 minutes on each cheek. This is because the gentlewaves unit, yellow LED also, has half the power of the LEDman unit and adminiters a dose in 30 seconds. I think I now know why.

I think the yellow LED induced a flush, a really bad one. I am pretty flushed right now. I say *think* because I also started using grapeseed oil today, which burned when I first put it on and made me more red and I switched to Vodka (from the usual beer and yesterdays experiment, rum). So for all I know it could be that!

Only time will tell. If it is the yellow LED, that's kinda of a good thing as it means it does something, all be it something not good right now.

I chose to try the yellow as it is meant to reduce redness and also help with ocular symptoms which unfortunately the red or infrared has failed to achieve.

I'll keep you posted. As I write my cheek is now starting to burn :/ - who'd be a guinea pig eh!

Leave a comment:

• Rand627
    replied
    Yeah, I know what you mean. There are thousands of combinations of things that all need to be tried for at least a month. Reading these forums has driven me crazy.

I'm still on the quinacrine actually. I think what I'm going to do is take the next 7 days and cut everything but the quinacrine. We're having weird weather here and it may be the cause. Getting allergies like mad and it's in the 20% humidity range. With wind.

I think I'm also going to call up my derm and get an allergy test done. Figure it can't hurt..

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Originally posted by Rand627 View Post
    Horribly to be honest. Not sure if it's the RLT or the D3 (5k every other day) but something is messing my skin up. I flush alot more easily and they are much more intense. They're also almost impossible to get rid of. The past 3 nights I've had flushed skin for at least 3-4 hours. Even this morning I woke up and couldn't get myself to go to the gym.

I'm not on a high dose of the RLT either. Just 5 or 6 minutes 3/4 or an inch away from the face every other day. And low on the D3 as well. Not entirely sure what I'm gonna do. I was thinking of just stopping everything and going back on the mepacrine, at least that didn't make it worse. I also consider trying things as they are for another week and then giving up or continuing. Also considering trying infrared and skipping the D3.

Meh. So many options, so little time. What to do!
    Rand I'm sorry to hear your having difficulties. Reminds me of when I first started both RLT and D3. I flushed a lot more (and so did many others).

I know you want to try everything immediately, but I'd cut out the d3. It's very good to get your levels up for a variety of reasons, but from all the reading I have done, the biggest complaint is that it increases flushing temporily. So does RLT in some (it did me).

Also, if I read your post right, you've come off the mepacrine? From what you said about how it was helping this also might be contributing to your problems - that you suddenly stopped taking it and starting two therapies that can increase flushing in the short term.

I am a great believer in picking a routine and sticking to it for a bit (3-6 weeks) to see how it works out, then changing stuff. I don't always take my own guidance though and this is when I run into problems as I don't know what's causing the problem.
    Last edited by findingaway; 4 February 2011, 07:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rand627
    replied
    Horribly to be honest. Not sure if it's the RLT or the D3 (5k every other day) but something is messing my skin up. I flush alot more easily and they are much more intense. They're also almost impossible to get rid of. The past 3 nights I've had flushed skin for at least 3-4 hours. Even this morning I woke up and couldn't get myself to go to the gym.

I'm not on a high dose of the RLT either. Just 5 or 6 minutes 3/4 or an inch away from the face every other day. And low on the D3 as well. Not entirely sure what I'm gonna do. I was thinking of just stopping everything and going back on the mepacrine, at least that didn't make it worse. I also consider trying things as they are for another week and then giving up or continuing. Also considering trying infrared and skipping the D3.

Meh. So many options, so little time. What to do!

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Update

Right quick update as I can hardly stay awake to write!

Been very religious in my RLT. I have actually created something so I can keep it around 4-5cm from my face but still takes patience to do every other night.

This isn't an exact science as there are too many variables, but keeping the RL unit 4-5cm away, for 17 mins, 830nm (IR). 48 hour gap between treatments. Soak cotton pads in green tea, apply for 30 mins. Let dry. Them do RLT.

Face gets a bit flushed - like tonight, but 1 hour later it is much calmer. Seems day on day red is very gradually reducing, but most significant benefits are the blunting of flushing and it's knocked out my burning. Eyes are better too. Would be real nice if it got rid of the red and reduced pore size though wishful thinking?

How you getting on Rand?

I hear LisA brought an Omnilux New-U, so will be interesting to document all our experiences.

I've also got some before pics, so again be good to see how it improves
    Last edited by findingaway; 3 February 2011, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Originally posted by Souris24 View Post
    I decided to start again with nose, but in a much much lighter way: first a few seconds, till about a minute, 12 inches away (which is what I am currently doing, since about 6 weeks).
    Marie,

I'm sorry to hear your having problems. From everything I have read, 12 inches for a minute isn't going to do anything.

Maybe you could try infrared?

Leave a comment:

• Souris24
    replied
    Goodness. Did the 6 minutes at half an inch today. Couldn't really tell afterwords, which is good I suppose. But my nose is flushing far more than it ever has. Nose flushes are the absolute worst in my opinion. Horrible feeling.
    When I started with RLT (red only), my nose started to flush quite often during the day. At first, I didn't make the link with the light because the weather had also become colder and also because my cheeks were doing well. But after some time, I realised that the LT could be the cause of it and I protected my nose for a while during sessions. The flushes became much less though my nose kept flushing in the evening, after diner. I decided to start again with nose, but in a much much lighter way: first a few seconds, till about a minute, 12 inches away (which is what I am currently doing, since about 6 weeks). My nose keeps flushing in the evening and I am not sure whether i should do more or not. I really want to find a solution, else, I'll end up soon with a permanent clown nose.
    So, my advice is to start super slow with the nose, not to close (half an inch seems crazy to me!!!) and build up very progressively, always checking closely how the nose reacts).
    By the way, I've started to take baby aspirin in the evening before meal and it seems to help.

Marie

Leave a comment:

• findingaway
    replied
    Goodness. Did the 6 minutes at half an inch today. Couldn't really tell afterwords, which is good I suppose. But my nose is flushing far more than it ever has. Nose flushes are the absolute worst in my opinion. Horrible feeling.
    Hi Rand,

I have heard that others experience that. My nose gets a little red in the cold. When do you get nose flushes?

I find 633nm irritates me and makes the red worse, so I'm sticking to 830nm. I'd try that for a while and don't directly do your nose. Are you doing 6 mins on each cheek 1/2 inch away?

Leave a comment:

• Rand627
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X