Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laser Genesis the same as Elite Yag 1064?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Genesis the same as Elite Yag 1064?

Hi everyone!
    i'm confused...i've been trying to decide where /what laser treatment to get done. One clinic is using a genesis laser and then a different laser for the small veins on my nose. The other clinic is using an Alexandrite Elite yag 1064 for the veins and redness. When i asked the technician if the genesis was a yag laser she told me it was. My question is what is the difference between these two and why would one clinic use two seperate lasers while the other uses one? The genesis treatment would also be done in combination with dermabrasion while the elite yag would require a facial prior to treatment. i want to get treatment soon but i don't know which treatment to pick!!! Also the genesis place quoted me somewhere betwen 4-6 treaments while the elite yag place quoted me only two...help please! :?
    25, Mild subtype 2

Hi Katgo,
    I don't know about the differences between these lasers but I would be wary of any treatment involving dermabrasion.

Comment

IMHO I would avoid dermabrasion and I don't know of any rosaceans who responds well to facials. It appears that neither clinic know much about rosacea and sound like they will be trying to treat you as someone with standard skin.

With regards our query perhaps the following threads/Q and A's may well enlighten you:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...hlight=genesis

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...hlight=genesis

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Pet..._Interview.php

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch.php

Hope this helps

Sarah

Comment

I have one study that shows the Nd: YAG being superior for removal of facial lesions. It claims you could see as much as 100% clearance after only one treatment...so two sounds reasonable at least for the telangiectasia on your nose. As for redness I haven't red anything positing the YAG as superior to any other laser.

If you go with the YAG make sure they are using the right setting for the telangiectasia on your nose. According to the study I have you want a fluence of ~100 J/cm^2 with a pulse width of 25ms. So don't be afraid to ask the clinician just exactly what he or she plans to use to treat it with otherwise they could needlessly be drawing out your treatment for profit.

Comment

i swear, i feel like i've scoured every clinic in montreal! i've gone to consults everywhere and i have no idea what treatment/where to go. Ipl is also an option but my derm was quoting 200$ JUST for the nose! In my opinion that was truly unreasonable.
          25, Mild subtype 2

Comment

Yeah that definitely seems unreasonable just for the nose. but then again it's a captive market. I got both cheeks and my nose for $325 but that's Nd: YAG/PDL combo. Honestly I'm not sure IPL is right for you. It depends on what your major concern is. If it's just the telangiectasia on your nose then I'd say go with something like the YAG which is superior to the KTP which is a little superior to the PDL But if you are concerned about redness then IPL is a good option. PDL might be the best for both. If you are concerned with redness you definitely don't want eh KTP because it has a high instance of redness post-treatment.

Comment

JtothaK,
              I thought ktp was good for clearing redness? Does it actually cause more redness or is that a transient effect?
              Thanks
              Caran

Comment

just a short while ago i would have said the telangectasia was bothering me the most, though this week i'm suffering from a MAJOR flush which has even spread to my previously uneffected forehead. I think at this point i want an overall treatment for the redness and spot treatment for the veins. I 'm just concerned about the possibility of things becoming worse. do you have any idea what the probability of adverse reaction is? or what option carries the least overall risk? i'm already depressed and will not forgive myself if i pick a treatment that makes everything worse.. im not sure what's stressing me out more at this point, the red or picking a laser!
                25, Mild subtype 2

Comment

IPL is a useful start, it can reduce redness and should remove some of the vessels, if there are some more prominent vessels on the nose these could be removed at the same time with just a couple of minutes of the KTP Laser spotting them out.
                  If this protocol does not deliver results, something else can be tried!!

Comment

Originally posted by caran
                    JtothaK,
                    I thought ktp was good for clearing redness? Does it actually cause more redness or is that a transient effect?
                    Thanks
                    Caran
                    I would be willing to bet it's a transient effect...but it is defeinitely more likely with the KTP. The oddity is what people post on here...they write as if it isn't a transient effect. Although the term is vague without a greater context they seem to be focused on post-treatment complications since people want to have their cake and eat it too (go back to normal life the same day).

Katago,

According to the literature the chance of an adverse reaction is EXTREMELY low so I wouldn't agonize over it. From everything I've read your going to see some effect regardless of the laser you go with. To me it's just a matter of getting what you want out of it and the most bang for your buck.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words! You guys are the best...i'm going back to the dr next week to see what we can do, and i think to get some anti-anxiety/depression meds, all i think about all day is my face .
                      25, Mild subtype 2

Comment

I've had quite a few KTP treatments and the redness is usually gone in a week or so. Afterwards my skin is generally paler and dilated blood vessels reduced. Mind you my treatments have always been carried out by very experienced doctors.

Comment

Working...
                        X