Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Should You Stay Out Of The Sun After IPL Treatment

Hello guys

About 3 months ago I had my first treatment of IPL, I had the treatment for brown spot pigmentation removal. After the treatment I was told that I should wear factor 25 sunscreen whenever I was out in the sun (which I did)

About 1 month later I visited the clinic for the second treatment and was told my melanin count was too high so we couldn't proceed with the IPL treatment but the difference nurse told my I should be avoiding the sun at all cost because it can cause more pigmentation, WTF! why would anyone want this treatment!

I'm annoyed because I wasn't told this when I handed over the money for the treatment and it's a pretty important fact to leave out!

Long story short, I've had one treatment (of 5) and I've cancelled the rest. Over the past few months I've developed quite a number of new brown spots, probably from being out in the sun with sunscreen (thinking that was fine) I feel the IPL treatment has basically just had the opposite effect of what I wanted, instead of reducing the brown spots I now have more.

I don't feel I was told the full facts about the risks of this treatment before I started it. I've also developed this numb sensation on my left cheek that hasn't gone away.

My question, how long after IPL treatment should you avoid the sun before it's safe to go out in the sun with sunscreen on and enjoy the sun?

I realize this is a Rosacea forum but I've read a lot of the threads and understand you guys know a lot about IPL and the potential negative effects so I'd appreciate any info and advice.

It is not my understanding that IPL makes you more prone to pigmentation forever, just best to stay out whilst you heal. After three months I would think your healing has been completed. Having said that it is always best to wear a suncream and avoid the real heat of the day. The sun is ofcourse a major cause of pigmentation anyway.

Sorry not sure how clear that sounds

Comment

Originally posted by phlika29 View Post
      It is not my understanding that IPL makes you more prone to pigmentation forever, just best to stay out whilst you heal. After three months I would think your healing has been completed. Having said that it is always best to wear a suncream and avoid the real heat of the day. The sun is ofcourse a major cause of pigmentation anyway.

Sorry not sure how clear that sounds
      Sounds perfectly clear to me

I'm really concerned now about this numb/heat sensation in my cheek though, I guess I should go and see a reputable dermatologist and see what they have to say.

Comment

Hi Paul,

You mentioned a melanin count?.. Is this a particular blood or skin test?

Normally, my Derm. recommends being out of the sun for about a week after IPL and if you need to be in the sun slightly during this time, maybe a quick errend or few minutes, but wear SPF30 or higher again very limited exposure. After that, being outside for short periods, again with SPF should be fine. For me, I don't go into the sun much, stay in the shade, but always wear SPF. If you are prone to melasma, or brown spots (hyperpigmentation) it's best to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Hyperpigmentation can return quite easily.

Good luck and do hope you can finish your IPL's if you'd like. If you somehow feel this clinic isn't providing you the information/results you desire, you may want to check for a more reputable Dr.

Cheers,
        Yvette

Comment

Not sure about the numb sensation but would agree going to see a derm with a good reputation would be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
          X