Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-BEAM: should I wait after summer? please help

Hi all, I need your help...

I am booked for my 1st V-Beam perfecta treatment in a few days (non purpurea, around the face for medium redness and flushing... and 2 passes on nose), and I heard that it might be better to start treatments in the fall instead, to avoid possible complications...

Complications such as hyperpigmentation is something I want to avoid at all price!

I do not expose myself to the sun deliberately, but with the summer heat, and the inevitable circumstances where you get outside in the middle of the day, I'm now a bit affraid of possible complications...

So, should I wait after summer for V-Beam?

Or just start the treatments now? (2-3 treatments every 6 weeks starting mid-may, through all summer...)

Is there any special care needed to undergo laser treatments in the summer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sebas

Originally posted by Sebas View Post
    Hi all, I need your help...

I am booked for my 1st V-Beam perfecta treatment in a few days (non purpurea, around the face for medium redness and flushing... and 2 passes on nose), and I heard that it might be better to start treatments in the fall instead, to avoid possible complications...

Complications such as hyperpigmentation is something I want to avoid at all price!

I do not expose myself to the sun deliberately, but with the summer heat, and the inevitable circumstances where you get outside in the middle of the day, I'm now a bit affraid of possible complications...

So, should I wait after summer for V-Beam?

Or just start the treatments now? (2-3 treatments every 6 weeks starting mid-may, through all summer...)

Is there any special care needed to undergo laser treatments in the summer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sebas
    the cooler months are better it just helps with post flushing because its cooler,

if undertyaking laser in summer just wear a hat and sunblock when out side,hyperpigmentation is from the laser direct,It can occur from sun exposer but is rear and will only occur if the person is unprotected to harsh sun rays for a long period of time,your not going with brusing settings so hyperpigmentaion wont be an issue,

Comment

I agree with Matt.
      If you can protect yourself from the sun after VBeam no problem but if you think this will be difficult just wait till the cooler months. You still have to protect yourself but you will likely be outdoors less and the sun is also less strong during these months.

GL!

Best,
      Melissa

Comment

Hyperpigmentation is actually the body hoarding iron from the leaking blood after the V Beam ruptures the blood vessels.

If you don't rupture the blood vessels and cause bruising, the chances go way down.

Any hyperpigmentation is no big deal, really. First of all it fades within six months or so; it's easy to cover with makeup; it's not nearly as annoying or damaging as repeated flushing, and since the V Beam targets pigment as well as hemoglobin, it can be easily removed with more V Beam. '

I've had many vicious purpuric V Beams. They all leave hyperpigmentation. It all fades, and subsequent V Beams eradicate them too. It's not permanent!
        • 58 yr old woman
        • Rosacea at 48, debilitating at 52
        • Clonidine 100mgc ev. 8 hrs;
        • Remeron 15mg nightly;
        • Zebeta=Bisoprolol=Beta blocker 5mg nightly;
        • Brimonidine worked well initially, then MASSIVE rebound flushing and damage;
        • Countless IPL with Lumenis One;
        • Now purpuric V Beam with Candela Perfecta; more clearance, less downtime than IPL;
        • Botox (with mesotherapy needles), good not great results;
        • Monthly Kenalog injection to blunt debilitating flushing.

Comment

Thanks Matt, Melissa and wrinkledclue...

HTML Code:
          If you can protect yourself from the sun after VBeam no problem
          And how long after a V-Beam treatment should I be more careful and protect the skin more than usual?

thanks

Comment

HTML Code:
            And how long after a V-Beam treatment should I be more careful and protect the skin more than usual?

thanks
            Different people take different time to heal, but my consultant told me to slap on extra protective sun block for at least eight weeks after laser treatment, and preferably for longer. Actually, I now put on sunblock whenever I go out, even if the sun is not that strong. If you can tolerate a really strong sunblock, don't let the fact that it's summer put you off having laser treatment. But as Melissa said, if it's problematic for you, wait until the weather cools in Autumn.

Comment

HTML Code:

thanks
              you should always becarreful and wear sunblock when out side,

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help... very appreciated.

I think I will undergo the treatment tomorrow morning, and be extra careful all summer and after.

Would anyone have advices, things to do "before and after" the V-Beam treatment to help reach the best results and avoid risks and side effects? (beside avoiding sun...)

Very interested to know if there is some tricks that can help to get the best of these treatments

Comment

Avoid anything that thins the blood for a week before and a week after such as aspirin, ibuprofen, garlic, oregano oil, fish oil etc.

Try to relax and avoid any undue stress. You might be more flushy than usual but it will not cause any damage. Just try and avoid any known flush triggers.

Good luck!

Melissa

Comment

Thanks Melissa...

For those interested, it's been 2 weeks and here is my experience:

The whole session took max 10-15 minutes, and I received 170 pulses of V-Beam perfecta at non purpuric setting. The derm told me that about 50% of the result should be obtained with that first session, and that I should not have much side effects beside some redness and a bit of swelling for a few days.

Well, that's exactly what happened (so far...).

Immediately after the session the doc gave me a bottle of Avene thermal water to spray on my face every 5-10 minutes for the first 4-5 hours, and that helped a lot. I had a few spots that looked bruised for less than 5 days, and redness and swelling was almost all gone by day 2. I had some dents and spots that were gone after less than five days. I did not have to be reclusive and hide the treatment because it healed well. After less than a week, that crazy flushing that would make my nose look like a clown was already 50% gone, and the overall skin is much more even, with much less red patches on the face.

I stay on the cautious side and don't want to be too enthusiastic... My results are what they are as of "now", and I learned that I should not take anything for granted having heard some crazy stories on this forum and other places. I think that in the end, the "less is more" approach is probably the best approach for my "medium" rosacea problem, and the less laser I will get will hopefully save me from unwanted side effects in the end... At least that's what I hope.

But I must say that the flushing part was what disturbed me the most, and that now, even though I feel it boiling under my skin in certain situations, the redness that would always follow and create these awkward situations and affect me at many levels is more than 50% gone on the face, and 70% gone on the nose. I don't really flush anymore like in the past, or not crazy abnormally like in the past.

The flushing part would disrupt normal communications. I'm not a shy person at all... but feeling that my nose would explode in certain situations such as in a meeting at work or suddenly for no reason in a discussion with a girl, would really cause a whole psychological chain of reactions that did really affect my personal and professional potential. I guess others can relate to that...

Well I don't flush like crazy anymore after only one V-Beam session, and that is a great relief and opens up possibilities that were inhibited by that problem before. Maybe I should have got the treatment before...

-----------------------------------------------------------

For those interested... in my case, I was able to keep my "medium" rosacea problem in moderate control with these skin care:

The L'Oreal skin genesis line (every night) with metrocream on the chin (at night) and the Prosacea gel on the chin (on the day). The chin is the only place I get pustules, and I must say that the Prosacea homeopathic gel really gets rid and dries up pustules quickly in my case. I tried it elsewhere on the face, and it made my skin more red, so I use it solely for pustules on chin.

Comment

That is very good news Sebas.
                      Best wishes for continued success!

Comment

Working...
                      X