Only In Winter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only In Winter....

I only seem to have Rosacea in winter. When its summer there is no red to be seem and i even get comments about how good my skin is. It gets worse when im outside in the cold, but it continutes when in a warm room. Even if i stay in the warm for 3 whole days my face will still be red.

My facial redness resembles this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...size/19686.jpg

any suggestions on what i may use to combat this?

thanks sammyw.

i also only have flushing in the winter. mine is definitely triggered from being cold to becoming more warm. mine also looks a lot like that picture.

Comment

One important thing is to keep your face covered when you are out in the cold. Some people use ski masks; some people use neck gaiters pulled up just below their eyes. This helps me quite a bit. Also dry air blowing from heaters can contribute to flushing. Moist air inside is helpful, along with no extreme temperature changes.

Comment

Any suggestions on a cream or facewash that may help?

Comment

I agree with Strive. It is critical to protect your face when outside in the cool/cold and windy weather. I ordered this from REI and this from Land's End and they are both very helpful.

http://www.rei.com/product/725711 (this is the one I got)

http://www.rei.com/product/769694 (if you need full head coverage as well- a bit too confining for me)

and here is the one from lands end when you need something less extreme
          http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaChe...8&origin=index

I just pull it up over my face when it gets cold/windy

HTH

Best wishes,
          Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by sammyw View Post
            Any suggestions on a cream or facewash that may help?
            I find CeraVe cream is helpful when my face is irritated from the cold. Also I would recommend a physical sunblock while outside even in the winter as that has a protective function.

Best wishes,
            Melissa

Comment

Hey melissawohl, thank you very much for your advice.

After doing some more research i discovered a few products i wouldn't mind trying in conjunction with the face protector thing you gave me a link for.....

the first product i found is this prosacea, this product apparently combats redness and rosacea symptoms.

and also a humidifier, for my bedroom, which i spend roughly 40% of my time in.

Do you think combining these 3 products could mabye combat my redness?

Comment

You're very welcome...I hope it helps

I think a humidifier is a great idea and in conjunction with protecting your face when outside you should definitely get some relief.
                Regarding the prosacea I would recommend a patch test first to make sure you do not have an adverse reaction to it.
                And I would only try one new product at a time if you can.

Good luck!
                Melissa

Comment

Flushing in Winter

Originally posted by sammyw View Post
                  I only seem to have Rosacea in winter. When its summer there is no red to be seem and i even get comments about how good my skin is. It gets worse when im outside in the cold, but it continutes when in a warm room. Even if i stay in the warm for 3 whole days my face will still be red.

My facial redness resembles this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...size/19686.jpg

any suggestions on what i may use to combat this?

thanks sammyw.
                  The above suggestions were right on. What causes the flushing, according to some research I read, is that during exposure to cold temperatures, your skin becomes depleted of something called neuropeptides. When it is exposed to warm temperatures, it is a rebound effect and you get a deep flush. The longer you are out in the cold, the greater the opportunity for rebound flushing. Thus, I try to be in the cold for short periods of time rather than longer periods. I also cover up using a scarf over my face like others suggested.
                  Good luck
                  Queta
                  "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

There is a very good article in this thread regarding this very topic.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...arm+room+flush

Best wishes,
                    Melissa

Comment

Hey thanks for your help guys.

Ive also been recommended a antihistamine cream, because some girl told me she used it on her nose for winters redness... worth a try only 3 pounds.

Comment

I earlier tried some oral antihistamine my brother had, an hour later and most my redness is gone strange...i'm ecstatic . Still a little redness on the nose. Panda eyes as they say, are now gone.

Ill keep you guys updated.

Also... i found this
                        http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy/AN00693

seems you can have a allergy to cold winds. Mabye this explains my increase of nose size in winter too.

Comment

what is an oral antihistamine? do you apply it to your skin? or is it like benadryl?

Comment

Originally posted by GracieTiger View Post
                            what is an oral antihistamine? do you apply it to your skin? or is it like benadryl?
                            Oral antihistamine is one which you drink, or take in pill form. Face was red again this morning, took some and it was reduced alot again an hour later. The brand is Zirtek. Thou im sure the oral benadryl will help in the same way.

Got the benadryl Skin Allergy Relief cream this morning so shall keep you updated on the combo.

Comment

Update: The Benadryl cream increased the redness on my nose a lot and didn't benefit the rest of my face, so i discontinued use.

The Zirtek continues to keep the redness decreased, about 75% when indoors, and about 40% when outdoors including blotchy patches (due to winter winds). Also faster recovery from temperature change induced flushing.

I'm doing my best to find another product that i can use in a combo with Zirtek allergy relief, any idea would be welcomed.

Comment

Working...
                              X