• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhinophyma

Can someone please explain this to me?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001037.htm

http://www.bcm.edu/oto/grand/102992.html

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ght=rhinophyma

Is there anything specific you wanted to know about rhinophyma?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Comment

well its seems since my nose started flushing whick never happened before, it swells and the pores are more noticable, my cheeks are alot better, but the nose is the problem area now, how do I get it less reactive? the ipl head is big and I don't think it's treating my nose well, now when I flush it's only mainly on my nose, and ideas on getting rid od those reactive vessels? I do rlt but after my nose is flushed, do you think the nose is harder to treat, should I try v beam? is the head smaller on that? I want these reactive nose vessels gone, it looks much worse on the nose than the cheeks, especially when the cheeks are doing better. Also my cheeks flushed for alot longer than my nose but it seems the nose gets damaged faster.

Comment

Nose is harder to treat

Hi
        Sorry to hear your nose is causing you trouble...I have the same problem. My nose is the hardest part of my face to treat, and I have read that's typical. I also had the problem of using red light therapy; for the rest of my face it works great but for my nose it seems to make it more reactive. I have taken crushed aspirin (melted with some hot water from the faucet in my hand) and put it on my nose...that seems to help somewhat. I also take low dose accutane but a lot of people don't want to go that route-it's very hard to get a prescription for it if you're a woman. Another thing which helps my flushy nose is baby sunscreen with zinc oxide (from Walgreens) and a prescription topical called Klaron. I also control my nose swelling through diet, but not everyone is helped by that. You can also try over the counter antihistamine-there's one I use that's doesn't cause drowsiness but I can't think of the name right now, if you're interested I'll look for it up.

You might want to repost on the IPL section and see what people say.

Good luck and blessings,
        Queta
        "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Queta

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but, regarding your use of Klaron, do you feel it is making you light sensitive?

I have a new derm now, who wants me to try 10% Sulfacetamide/sulphur 3%. It is to be applied for 15 minutes, twice daily and then promptly rinsed off.
          I have not even bothered to fill the script as my pharmacists have told me it is likely to make me light sensitive, being a photosensitizing drug.
          I know the oral form certainly is and I did worry about the topical when the derm prescribed it.

Another thing, I can't even tolerate sulphur alone and after two weeks I am still test patching small areas, with poor success. I find it irritating.

My nose, is the most reactive, meaning it is always red and swells easily.

You say the klaron is helping your nose. Is this in combination with red light therapy? Or are you still covering your nose as I recall you were doing at one stage?
          Has it reduced the redness as well as the flushing?

Thanks!
          Previous Numerous IPL.
          Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
          Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
          Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
          Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

I find rlt is making my nose worse too, it flushes when I'm doing it, how can we cure this nose issue? v beam?

Comment

Nose

Originally posted by cbebe28 View Post
              I find rlt is making my nose worse too, it flushes when I'm doing it, how can we cure this nose issue? v beam?
              Just stop eating fats there is no other solution.
              I realise that probably folks that read "Just stop eating fats" sounds bizzare and I don,t blame anyone for thinking drums is as bizzare as his posts. But as you asked the question "how can we cure this nose issue? The answer is the only way is to stop eating fats and at best by not eating fats it will at best prevent any further worsening if you are lucky possibly some reduction.

I think any laser treatment for rosacea is barbaric and only leads to further problems and I am always
              extreemly dissapointed to hear of members having laser treatment and thinking to myself how they are ruining their chances of beating the beast.

I have been having a bit of nose problems lately but at this moment its going away through not eating fat. The rest of my face is fine. By having laser treatment you are sealing of the skin so its no longer permeable, not a good situation!

Comment

what kind of fats?

Comment

fats

Originally posted by cbebe28 View Post
                  what kind of fats?
                  Well the foremost thing is certainly not to eat any fats or vinegar whatsoever and not to drink alcohol or coffe.
                  Its a matter of working round having no fats and building your diet around this principle.
                  Start off and build it up slowly or otherwise you will become fed up and not do it.
                  You can use olive oil but max one dessert spoonful belive me you can cook anything with this
                  My diet goes like this generally :

Breakfast is porridge in 3 minutes microwave then cup of tea allskimmed milk.

Lunch is good quality muesli nuts and whatever yu fancy, add some chopped up fruit into a container then cover with muesli then cover again wi skimmed milk. Leave overnight/fridge to soften take it to work .
                  But yu can eat some alternative if yu prefer but no fat. I may have a cup of tea or just warm water .

Teatime I eat anything I fancy e.g. pasta, salads, mash potato or boiled, any vegetable, fish no meats
                  I do eat vegi curry twice a week.
                  I make my own bread but use olive oil certainly no lard.
                  If you eat oil today miss a meal next day no oil.
                  Its important not to drink much after an oil meal

Comment

Hi,

Ok...I'm confused here a little.

Drums...you've said do not eat any fats whatsoever, and yet the foods you list DO have fats in them (ex. nuts, porridge, fish, etc).

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'fat' ...maybe that's the misunderstanding.

Penny

Comment

fat

Originally posted by pennya View Post
                      Hi,

Ok...I'm confused here a little.

Drums...you've said do not eat any fats whatsoever, and yet the foods you list DO have fats in them (ex. nuts, porridge, fish, etc).

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'fat' ...maybe that's the misunderstanding.

Penny
                      Sorry I was refering to fats from red meat, beef ,pork,lamb, I do eat turkey and chicken cubed, marinated and grilled which I make at home myself cooking meat this way removes the fat so the bit of fat left is minimal danger. I can also eat duck fat which does not cause a reaction.
                      Please keep asking me questions I know my mind is on a different level and how hard it must be for you right now. I do want to help you through this. . Yes of course porridge,nuts and fish have oil in them but not enough to cause the reaction to your nose but there is fat in coffe which is a danger
                      I will explain "danger"more tommorow its late here in england.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification...

I'm a vegetarian (rarely eating dairy in addition to that) so my 'fat' intake is 0 to minimal by your definition. Yet, I still have rosacea...redness and flushing mainly. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now I think. I do admit that I do indulge in some junk food containing some bad fats (trans fats, saturated fats,etc) once in a while, but I don't think that's really the reason that my rosacea continues to stay with me.

Any thoughts Drums?

Penny

Comment

I also have minimal fat in my diet and still have rosacea. I wish that was the answer for us because that is certainly doable. There is no one universal treatment that works for all unfortunately but it does help when others share what works for them regardless.

Comment

two bits from the Rome dermatology meeting

On the first question - what is rhinophyma:

RHINOPHYMA
                            Uwe Wollina
                            Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Hospital Dresden-Friedrichstadt, Academic
                            Teaching Hospital of the Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
                            The onset of rhinophyma usually occurs between the ages of 30 to 50 years but
                            rhinophyma is a disease more common in the second half of life. Rhinophyma
                            may be accompanied by either (papulopustular) rosacea or any other type of
                            phymas. The affected skin often shows some degree of sun damage such as
                            solar elastosis. Mild to moderate to most severe types of rhinophyma are known.
                            In rare cases of a female rhinophyma, they present with a mild type. The male
                            to female ratio has been estimated as 20:1. Rhinophyma has been classified into
                            four subtypes: glandular type with increased sebum excretion, fibrous type with
                            dominance of connective tissue overgrowth, fibroangiomatous type with edema
                            and venous teleangiectasia, actinic type with nodular masses of elastic tissue.
                            There is a long list of differential diagnoses in rhinophyma.
                            A persistent up-regulation of fibrogenic isoforms of transforming growth factor
                            beta (TGF-beta) like TGF-beta-1 and -2, but not TGF-3 contributes to increased
                            fibroblast function. Rhinophyma has been characterized by increased
                            expression of vasoactive intestinal peptide-receptor (VIP-R) in dermal vessels
                            and large perivascular cells. In addition neuroglandular antigen expression was
                            seen in the connective tissue. This could contribute to the abnormal vascular response
                            to various stimuli in rhinophyma.
                            Treatment includes avoidance of triggers, drug therapy and surgery. In early
                            stages oral isotretinoin monotherapy is established. Since dermal fibrosis is a
                            leading symptom antifibrotic therapy might be an option for the future. In more
                            advanced cases surgery is a need. Surgery can be performed under general or
                            regional anaesthesia or in tumescence anesthesia. The latter does provide the advantage
                            of less bleeding. Lasers can be used as well. Mostly used are CO2,
                            Erb:YAG, and Nd:YAG laser. Since there is rapid spontaneous re-epithelialization
                            within a couple of weeks, there is no need of skin grafting. The use of
                            hydrocolloid dressings may improve the healing when applied as early as in
                            the operation theatre.

And on the issue of diet:

ACNE AND NUTRITION
                            F. William Danby
                            Department of Dermatology, Dartmouth Medical School, Manchester, NH, USA
                            Acne is driven by hormones acting on the oil glands and the keratinocytes lining
                            the pilary canal. Dairy products (and perhaps some other foods) contain
                            5alpha-reduced steroid hormones and other steroid precursors of the 5alphadihydrotestosterone
                            that drives oil gland function. Dairy also contains about 60
                            other growth factors and micronutrients. Phytoestrogens in food seem to have
                            no impact on acne. Drinking milk causes a direct rise in Insulin-like Growth
                            Factor-1 (IGF-1) through a disproportionate elevation in blood sugar and serum
                            insulin levels. High glycemic load foods also cause IGF-1-mediated elevations
                            in these hormones. IGF-1 levels closely parallel acne activity and are likely
                            synergistic with the steroid hormones.
                            Vitamin A is needed for normal follicular function and is often deficient. Dietary
                            fatty acids influence inflammation, some pro-inflammatory, some anti-inflammatory,
                            underlining the need for careful dietary selection for optimal control.
                            Linoleic acid likewise has an ambivalent role in acne. Iodine is not acnegenic
                            but may enhance inflammation.
                            Acne can be improved by controlling hormones and inflammation, both of
                            which are influenced by diet and so acne control requires dietary control. Concurrent
                            with standard anti-acne therapy, stop all dairy products and all high
                            glycemic foods for at least six months to evaluate the effect. Vitamin A supplementation
                            may help reduce plugging of pores in deficient individuals.
                            Omega-3 containing foods and supplements help to control inflammation.
                            No acne therapy is complete without a dietary history and appropriate advice.
                            See www.acnemilk.com for detailed assistance.

Both of these are from http://www.acne-congress.org/documen...ract%20def.pdf.

I hope that this information is of some help to you in understanding some of the issues.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robs View Post
                              Drinking milk causes a direct rise in Insulin-like Growth
                              Factor-1 (IGF-1) through a disproportionate elevation in blood sugar and serum
                              insulin levels.
                              I was just thinking does this mean normal fatty milk? Is it ok to drink skimmed milk on diet or does that text mean it also? Drums, anyone?

Ps. Hi Drums, remember me? We spoke some years ago at microphones in messenger almost about the same issue

Comment

Working...
                              X