rhinophyma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhinophyma

i am a 17 teen year old male and i had roseacea for about 3 years and today i look in the mirrior and notice that one side of my nose appears larger than the other side. could this be rhinophyma? i am a little confused cause i heard this mostly only affectes middle age males and i am still a kid and my roseacea is a mild case as of now(thats what doc said i dont agreee). To verfity that one side of my nose got larger i looked at a picture from only 6 mouths ago from school them look at myself in the mirrior and it was pretty evident that one side of my nose is larger. Its not extremely noticeable but u can tell and its been like this for about 2-3 weeks.

So can someone verify if i could have it or not? sorry i dont have it pic but it would be nice to hear some opinoins.

Let me tell you its hard enough to have a beat red face with acne and be in high school and have to hear about it from assholes in school and if i am developing rhinophyma i dont kno what i would do. I feel like i am being robbed from having fun and enjoying high school and its seeming to only get worse than better. I feel extremely embarressed and now with my skin thickening on my nose im not sure if i can grow the balls to even show up to school .I have zero self-esteem and zero confidence. Sorry for complaining but its just so fusterating and such a confidence killer and i just had to get it off my chest. On the postive side i am visiting the dermintologist sept 22nd and letting him kno i would like to get some laser treatment and if i do have rhinophyma will the laser treatment help that at all? so thier is hope but with anything its no garenttee that it will work and ill have to get 3 treatments

thanks for ur time.

Hi and welcome

I would say that the chances of you already developing rhinophyma are practically zero. It is a condition that is linked to men who are much older that have had untreated rosaacea. With someone as young as yourself there is much you can do to treat your rosacea.

Now tell me, what products have you been using on your face. You say you have acne, what have you been prescribed?

Sarah

Comment

Answer Sarah's questions but I would like to weigh in that in my opinion, the odds of you actually having rhinophyma are even less than the "practically zero" she told you. Relax, I won't say it's all in your head or anything, but whatever you are seeing, it's not rhinophyma.
      Work on treating your rosacea but please don't worry about rhinophyma. With regard to the dip****s who give you a hard time in school, try and ignore them. First off, no one cares about high school after you leave it. The best revenge is to study and work hard and do well in life. One day, they will be carrying your bags or asking you if you want fries with that. I assure you, success in life be it personal or financial, goes a long way towards instilling self confidence and self esteem. People probably picked on Bill Gates when he was young but who is laughing now?
      As David Lee Roth once said when still with Van Halen, "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it."
      Best,
      Rob

Comment

Ditto to the above.

Please know that you will be OK. There are so many treatments to help relieve your rosacea symptoms and once you find what works for you everything will get better. I know how tough it is especially in the beginning when you don't know what to do but you are on your way to finding relief.

That sucks about school and all but Rob is so right when he says all that crap won't matter in a few years at all. Of course living through it now is tough but just hold your head up high and hang out with your real friends who appreciate you for you regardless of acne, rosacea etc.

Check out this link as it may be helpful:
        http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Most importantly find a good doctor who will be empathetic to your needs and work with you to find help for your symptoms.

What is your doctor doing for you now? And what are your symptoms?

Best wishes,
        Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by phlika29 View Post
          Hi and welcome

I would say that the chances of you already developing rhinophyma are practically zero. It is a condition that is linked to men who are much older that have had untreated rosaacea. With someone as young as yourself there is much you can do to treat your rosacea.

Now tell me, what products have you been using on your face. You say you have acne, what have you been prescribed?

Sarah
          well the product i am using right now is called Eucerin Redness Relief Cleansor and Eucerin Redness Relief lotion. The acne seems to come and go i have my good days with that and my bad days. For the acne they gave me accutane (spelling) i think and its worked great for the acne but i always get that bad breakout here and thier. But my cheeks always seem to be red. They have been red since 14 when the doc said i am developing roseacea. the redness on my face is pretty bad thats why i am concidering laser and its not seeming to get better just redder (not sure how redder it can even get)

Comment

Originally posted by melissawohl View Post
            Ditto to the above.

Please know that you will be OK. There are so many treatments to help relieve your rosacea symptoms and once you find what works for you everything will get better. I know how tough it is especially in the beginning when you don't know what to do but you are on your way to finding relief.

That sucks about school and all but Rob is so right when he says all that crap won't matter in a few years at all. Of course living through it now is tough but just hold your head up high and hang out with your real friends who appreciate you for you regardless of acne, rosacea etc.

Check out this link as it may be helpful:
            http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Most importantly find a good doctor who will be empathetic to your needs and work with you to find help for your symptoms.

What is your doctor doing for you now? And what are your symptoms?

Best wishes,
            Melissa
            well my main trigger is by far the sun or being stuck in a hot enviroment for a long period of time. Which i have to go through everyday cause school has no air conditiooning so i cant wait for winter. The acne comes and goes. I would say i am more concerned about my face being red 24/7 than the acne. It seems to be red in my cheeks, nose and chin. Because the school is always so god damn hot i always flare up and my cheeks seem to turn to red to a bright red. When this happens my face almost seems to hurt. My face feels like its buring, gets itchy, and because of this when i get home i get a ice cube put it in a towel and get rub it on my face but it dosent work to well.

Products i am using- Eucerin Redness Relief cleanser which helps with dry skin and helps tone down the redness to an extent. Also Eucerin Redness Relief lotion with SPF 15 which keeps my skin from getting dry and tight. This stuff works ok. I can get by on it till September 22nd when i go to the derm. for possible laser treatment

Comment

Hi, sorry you're going through this. The others are right about school though- nothing about it matters once you've left. I'm at uni now, I left school 3 years ago, and believe me all of the disrespectful, horrible people are working in fast food restaurants seven days a week to support their seventeen children, whilst the people who got bullied are thriving and just graduating from Oxbridge with Firsts... University is so much nicer. There's no bullying or name calling or anything like it, just people who are there to learn and make new friends.

As for your skin, I know accutane can make skin redder. I haven't taken it, but I have read a lot of reports about it inducing redness. If I'm not mistaken, this might fade after you discontinue the medication. It sucks about your school being too hot. I don't think you are going to see that much of an improvement until you can stop the flushing it causes. I always try to dress cool-ly ... a tshirt when other people are wearing sweaters for example, and I always carry a bottle of iced water around with me when I go to my lessons.

I think you should definitly consult a doctor about your concerns. In the meantime try to keep cool and protect yourself from the sun.

Chin up dude

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow-legs View Post
                Hi, sorry you're going through this. The others are right about school though- nothing about it matters once you've left. I'm at uni now, I left school 3 years ago, and believe me all of the disrespectful, horrible people are working in fast food restaurants seven days a week to support their seventeen children, whilst the people who got bullied are thriving and just graduating from Oxbridge with Firsts... University is so much nicer. There's no bullying or name calling or anything like it, just people who are there to learn and make new friends.

As for your skin, I know accutane can make skin redder. I haven't taken it, but I have read a lot of reports about it inducing redness. If I'm not mistaken, this might fade after you discontinue the medication. It sucks about your school being too hot. I don't think you are going to see that much of an improvement until you can stop the flushing it causes. I always try to dress cool-ly ... a tshirt when other people are wearing sweaters for example, and I always carry a bottle of iced water around with me when I go to my lessons.

I think you should definitly consult a doctor about your concerns. In the meantime try to keep cool and protect yourself from the sun.

Chin up dude
                yea i understand about school idk i just feel like i am being robbed from having a good time. I am in my senior year i have have not gone to one homecoming or prom. On the weekends i am on the comp or in my room feeling bad formyself ughhh i hate it. I am having such i hard time coping with it. I never had a girlfreind, never kissed a girl, i dont even think ive talked to one. I have no friends to hang with it sucks. it makes it worst when ur in school with a bunch of immature kids....

Comment

Working...
                X