Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've stopped Melanotan. Please refer to my post in the middle of this thread for the reasons why.

I'd ask kindly that one of the moderators add post #15 to the original one in the thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

I still use Red Light, but not has religiously as I used to. I find the best time is when i'm using the bathroom Melanotan did cover up most of the symptoms of Rosacea, but i'd have already been using RLT before Melanotan and that significantly helped with the palpable symptoms.

Comment

I have added post 15 to your original post George and also left post 15 in this thread so it would make sense regarding previous posts and later posts. Hope this is what you meant.

Best wishes,
      Melissa

Comment

Dr. Johnson where in TN

Could you please tell me where in TN Dr. Johnson is located? I live in TN. I have had varilite and IPL done. I would like to maybe go to someone that someone with rosacea has had luck with. Also, what kind of Red Light Unit are you using? Where did you get it? Thanks so much!

Originally posted by WrinkledClue View Post
        • IPL with Dr Soldo in Arizona and Dr Johnson in Tennessee. Lots of IPL. Staying cool with a fan on my face between IPL, and good air conditioning. It takes a long time and it costs a lot and it's removed all the permanent redness from my face.

• Staying in a cool environment and always having a fan with me to shut down flushes.

• More fruit, vegetables, oily fish, and fiber foods; less meat, no dairy, almost no sugar, no simple carbohydrates, tons of water. No alcohol; caffeine; garlic; vinegar; citrus; soy; tahini; pepper; pizza; chili; spices; tomatoes, pineapple, yogurt.

• Red Light therapy. Daily for almost four months now. Goes a long way towards shutting down the flushes. IPL did a great job removing the redness, but red light seems to be what lessens the flushes. Seems like I need them both to be effective.

• Drugs. Oracea, Zebeta (beta blocker); clonazepam; occasional Xanax for social occasions; probiotics; zyrtec (antihistamine H1 blocker), benadryl (antihistamine).

I was a mess four years ago when I started IPL. I'm almost normal now, except I will flush with prolonged exposure to temperatures over abut 77 degrees. I still need it to be 70 or below to exercise or I will flush. But I look normal and can go places, which I used to not be able to do.

I would advise folks to try all these things and to be patient and get really good air conditioning. It was a long time before these therapies worked well for me, but they did work, and there is hope.

Good luck.

-wc
        Last edited by jen; 16 January 2009, 12:57 AM. Reason: wanted to add another question

Comment

Dr. Johnson

Originally posted by jen View Post
          Could you please tell me where in TN Dr. Johnson is located? I live in TN. I have had varilite and IPL done. I would like to maybe go to someone that someone with rosacea has had luck with. Also, what kind of Red Light Unit are you using? Where did you get it? Thanks so much!
          Dr. Johnson serves on the board of directors for the RRDi:

http://www.irosacea.org/board.php#johnson

Here is his web site:

http://www.tennesseelaserandskinrejuvenation.com/
          Brady Barrows
          Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by fut View Post
            I've been a sufferer for a quarter of my life. For every single thing that has worked for me, there were three others that did nothing or made it worse. I've learned the ins and outs, and it is now gone from the #1 priority in my life down to somewhere in the teens. 8) I've educated myself so much on this topic, I consider myself an expert. These have been the three most effective treatments for me.

Please post your most effective treatments (and for what symptoms they treat) and we'll get a big list going!

For the chronic redness, burning, flushing and blushing:
            Intense Pulsed Light - I got 3 sessions with the Vasculight IPL and it made a dramatic difference. My severe Rosacea became somewhat manageable. I'm sure the new lasers of today are just as good, if not better.
            >>Educate yourself on Intense Pulsed Light

For the slight burning, flushing, and blushing
            Red Light Therapy - Hours of total time under LLT put much of the palpable symptoms of Rosacea at bay.
            >> Educate yourself on Red Light Therapy

For the remaining butterfly shaped light redness that never seems to go away since Rosacea first plagued me!
            Melanotan - The final knockout punch to this disease. Cover redness, makes us pale folk look healthier, and cover any acne scars (big plus for me!)
            >>Educate yourself on Melanotan

EDIT as requested by fut July 20, 2008

Knowledge of one owns body grows with age and i'm glad to say that I have become more astute to dealing with my skin problems. I'm very happy to add two more highly effective treatments for Rosacea. I'd also like to note that i've stopped one of my treatments.

I've stopped Melanotan. Why? Melanotan has been wonderful to me and I would recommend it to people for immediate help with their symptoms. PLEASE read my other posts in regards to it. The reasons why I stopped, from most ipmportant to least:
            1) I've found better solutions!
            2) It's not natural. I've learned to take a more holistic approach to my my skin problems.
            3) If I choose to continue, it's like i've chosen to never stop. It only treats the symptoms of Rosacea (it treats all of the symptoms, by the way)
            4) Injecting does not feel good, neither does the occasional stomach discomfort a few hours after injecting.

Now, on to the more important part...

For the root of Rosacea, which means ALL symptoms
            Antioxidants - I have been drinking several cups of White and Green Tea a day. Not to mention an increase of fruit intake.
            >>Educate yourself on the link of Rosacea and Oxidative Stress

Remember that Green Tea cream some people were mentioning as a 'cure'? I never believed it. Now i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Even better would be to consume a diet rich in anti-oxidants. The easiest and most effective way? Incorporate white and green tea into your diet. I'll let the medical journals speak for themselves.

The excessive production of reactive oxidative species (ROS) associated with inflammation leads to a condition of oxidative stress. [1]
            Skin is a major target of oxidative stress due to reactive oxygen species (ROS) that originate in the environment and in the skin itself. [2]
            Conclusion: Our results suggest that rosacea is an oxidative stress condition, as reflected by the increased ROS activity and decreased AOP, regardless of HP infection.[3]

[1] http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/abstract/175/8/5423
            [2] http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...30860260220175
            [3] http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...2.2004.02137.x

Colon Hydrotherapy and Probiotics - I've had two colonics with an extremely knowledgeable and talented therapist Sharon Stone. I've included Live Active Cereal and non-fat yogurt into my diet.
            >>Educate yourself on Colon Hydrotherapy
            >>Educate yourself on Probiotics

Remember the whole hype with the link between H. Pylori and Rosacea? Antibiotics are very helpful for many cases of Rosacea. Instead of using antibiotics which kill both good and bad bacteria, there is a better route.

Note that 60% of feces is made up of bacteria. What happens when your body can't effectively get rid of this bacteria? Feces will literally dry up along the walls of your intestine. Your body will find other ways to get rid of it through our skin. After my first Colon Hydrotherapy, I was a believer. After each colonic I had, I saw improvements to my skin overnight.

I hope this helps. I suggest a moderator add these two to my original post.
            Last edited by fut; 6th June 2008 at 09:58 PM.
            Fut,
            What is the Probiotic you use called?? And about how long did it take until you saw results??

Thanks alot!

(MODS: This thread needs to be a sticky)

Comment

Fut,

I remember in other posts you said garlic was key in reducing your redness....something like 6 cloves per day you were eating....putting 3 in eggs for breakfast......have you changed your mind about the garlic?

I never did try it.....just wondering.....thanks for sharing all those other things!
              Dx 1998

Comment

OK Ewist, this thread is now a sticky. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best wishes,
                Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
                  OK Ewist, this thread is now a sticky. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best wishes,
                  Melissa
                  Thanks alot Melissa, I just think this is such a great post.

Comment

Originally posted by ewist View Post
                    Fut,
                    What is the Probiotic you use called?? And about how long did it take until you saw results??

Thanks alot!

(MODS: This thread needs to be a sticky)
                    Thanks for the stick recommendation! I haven't used a Prociotic since i've been in Brazil. As i;ve been continually healing naturally and stregthening my immune system over the last few months, my floura has been balancing itself on it's own. I now eliminte waste through my bowels much better then I used to. Before, if I ate any processed breads (white bread) or sugar, my bowels had problems (constipation, diarrhea).

Any probiotic you can get at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC that is refrigerated in a dark container should be fine.

Originally posted by Lookout View Post
                    Fut,

I remember in other posts you said garlic was key in reducing your redness....something like 6 cloves per day you were eating....putting 3 in eggs for breakfast......have you changed your mind about the garlic?

I never did try it.....just wondering.....thanks for sharing all those other things!
                    I was not able to get garlic in Brazil, but i've reincorporated it into my diet now that I am back in New York. One of the great things about New York is that you can get whatever you want, whenever you want (for a price). Garlic is a natural anti-biotic, anti fungal, etc. it definitely has helped my symptoms.

Melissa, can you add my previous post of Q and A to the original post in this thread?

Thanks!

Comment

Melissa, can you add my previous post of Q and A to the original post in this thread?

Thanks!
                      Done.

Comment

I'd like to talk a little about Niacin because it seems there is some similiarities with the effects of Niacin and what Rosacea is (flush, redness) The bold parts are my own commentary in its relation to Rosacea while the italic parts are from a great website by a great lady at http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com

Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin, called vitamin B3 it's a necessary vitamin that everybody needs for optimal health / immune function. . Other forms of niacin like nicotinamide, niacinamide and non-flushing types (timed-released) do not provide the benefits that "true" niacin does.

Rosacea sufferers have been told to avoid Niacin at all costs because of this same flush effect. THe flush effect does cause symptoms to be more pronounced but it's not having a negative impact on the cause of the isease - quite the opposite actually

An important characteristic of "true" niacin is that it causes a flush, which means it is opening up the small blood vessels and capillaries, so more blood flows through them. These are the blood vessels that are of most value in reaching fatty tissues.

Therefore toxins which are stored in fatty tissues are moved into the bloodstream and processed out of the body. Other forms such as like nicotinamide, niacinamide and non-flushing types do not cause dilation of the blood vessels.

The same toxins that have been building up in our body, and are being released through our skin are being removed by this necessary vitamin. This is a vitamin that eveyr human body has needed since the beginning

[i]It's important to note that the flush caused by niacin is not harmful or dangerous. It is actually a sign of improved blood flow. Also niacin oxygenates the blood.[/]

Search reports on this forum about oxegyn tanks improving circulation and having great effects in the improvement of Rosacea!

Flushing causes the skin to turn red and tingle, and it will feel hot and itchy. This particularly happens to the face, neck, and ears. Dry skin has also been experienced. The hot feeling is similar to "hot flashes" experienced by women during menopause. "Flushing" occurs because the capillaries are opening up in the skin.

It's not coincidence that these are the same places Rosacea sufferers show symptoms. Becuase our bodies are doing this by themselves, getting rid of toxins through these areas. Niacin is doing it much more effectively - remember, we NEED Niacin for optimum health and immune function

I'm not trying to get you guys to go out there and take large amounts of Niacin hoping it will cure your Rosacea. I'm trying to make a point that the true cause of Rosacea is right in front of us, and with consuming the necessary nutrients our bodies needs, we can heal our selves and beat this disease!

Comment

For me the following medication helps a lot to combat the redness, flushign and burning of my (severe) vascular rosacea:

-clonidine (gives rebound flush, so you need to take this drug long term and every 8 hours).
                          -propranolol
                          -mirtazapine
                          -antihistamines (Xyzal for instance).

You can take them individual or all together. They all work on different receptors and have different mechanisms, so they usually make the attack on the flushing more effective when you take them all.
                          They all help me.

Clonidine helps (for most) not only because it lowers the blood pressure, which in its turn helps to keep your blood stream more 'centralized' in your body, and less in the extremeties (fingers, toes, face), but it also does something with the central nervous system. That's why clonidine is registered as a helpful drug for menaupasal flushings. Propranolol works differently: it is very helpful for the 'fight and flight' reactions and flushings: it helps to limit the amount of adrenaline that the body produces: a hormone that can be the set of for flushing. It is also a blood pressure lowering drug. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant and works in a very different way (not completely understood yet). It is also registered as a drug to prevent or aleviate menopausal flushings. But it works differently from clonidine. I find that clonidine and propranolol together work better then one of them. Dr. Tony Chu often prescribes them together for that reason to patients who have a severe flushing response. They help me with the general flushings and more specific flushings, although a big amount of stress still makes me flush, but not as quickly as it used to and it is also gone again sooner.

Side-effects you should be aware of are generally light headedness and dizzyness in the beginning. Will wear off after a while, when your body adjusts.

I got all my medication prescribed by a good London dermatologist: Dr. Tony Chu.
                          My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

This topic has been helpful thx to everyone .
                            I wondered what supplements have been the most effective for people who have flushes and swelling ?
                            what are you triggers for people who suffer of flushes and swelling on theirs cheeks?? I found that sugar and alcohol are one of the worst for me.

Comment

photodynamic therapy

hi guys,laska from oz.before i fixed my rosacea problem i had photodynamic therapy where they put an acid substance on ur face then wait a while then use ipl on it. took me a week to recover but was very effective,lasted 6 months before the symptoms came back. was a lot more effective than normal ipl.was to costly for me to keep having it done but that was bout 5 yr ago not sure if its cheaper now.if anyone tries the sulpher cream i posted before i would luv to know if it worked for u to.

Comment

Originally posted by laska View Post
                                hi guys,laska from oz.before i fixed my rosacea problem i had photodynamic therapy where they put an acid substance on ur face then wait a while then use ipl on it. took me a week to recover but was very effective,lasted 6 months before the symptoms came back. was a lot more effective than normal ipl.was to costly for me to keep having it done but that was bout 5 yr ago not sure if its cheaper now.if anyone tries the sulpher cream i posted before i would luv to know if it worked for u to.

hi did alapdt improve ur skin texture?
                                Last edited by mattdog323; 4 August 2009, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X