derms in US for rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• derms in US for rosacea?

Who is best? Like, reallllly knows the ins/outs of rosacea (like a Steinhoff). And refractory cases.

Does anyone see a derm at NYU Langone? (I'm headed there next)

Any other major universities?

I see Dr. Berger at UCSF who I recommend highly but I try to get insight from other docs every now and then.

Thanks!

Dr. Whitney Bowe practices in NYC.

David Goldberg, M.D., J.D. also in NYC/NJ

Emma Guttman, M.D., Ph.D. Sinai, NY

Robert Latkany, M.D. NYC

Noah Scheinfeld, M.D., J.D. NYC

There are other dermatologists such as Dr. Charles Stratton at Vanderbilt.

Here is the complete list.

Dr. Berger at UCSF would be a nice addition to the RRDi MAC. Any chance you can persuade him to add his name to the list? Wouldn't it be nice if rosaceans would help other rosaceans and add good dermatologists to the RRDi MAC list?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 11 May 2021, 12:57 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

do you really believe dermatologists? It has never helped me in any way. I had to delve into the topic myself because they hadn't seen much about it. I think that with a "good deramtologist" it is like with YETI many have heard about him but no one has seen him.
      According to some, a good dermatologist means that it costs a lot to visit him, but it is a very false idea that an expensive deramtologist is good. He's just expensive and has high prices

Comment

Originally posted by przemek View Post
        do you really believe dermatologists? It has never helped me in any way. I had to delve into the topic myself because they hadn't seen much about it. I think that with a "good deramtologist" it is like with YETI many have heard about him but no one has seen him.
        According to some, a good dermatologist means that it costs a lot to visit him, but it is a very false idea that an expensive deramtologist is good. He's just expensive and has high prices
        I understand your frustration. Apparently a significant number of rosaceans are happy with dermatologists since we hear so many are using prescription rosacea treatments and report good results. Another significant number of rosaceans have recalcitrant rosacea which is why we have RF and the RRDi, not to mention where all the rosaceans have gone, and these secondary treatments for rosacea, mostly off label, require a physician prescription. My last dermatologist visit was about a year ago and was prescribed Azelaic Acid and low dose doxycycline. I am still using the Azeliac Acid and like it, but I have since dropped the low dose doxycycline since I was getting an upset stomach with a lot of burping. I took it for months and it did indeed clear up my face but the side effect isn't worth it to me. I continue to use the ZZ cream and alternate with the Azeliac Acid, try to stay on low carbohydrate, and exercise, walking about 18 miles a week and do pull ups. There are some good dermatologists out there. If rosaceans would help rosaceans we could get a nice referral list using the RRDi MAC. The current list has 45, mostly in the USA, but some from around the world. If other rosaceans would encourage the dermatologist they are happy with to get on the RRDi list, we would have a gold mine for rosaceans to consult.

I had to lookup YETI.

If I had the where at all costs I would probably consult either Dr. Frank Powell in Ireland who wrote the book on rosacea and is at the Charles Institute of Dermatology, University College Dublin, or Fabienne Fortan, MD, Universite libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, or Dr. Tony Chu in London (now retired, but would entice him out of retirement).
        Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12 May 2021, 12:40 PM.
        Brady Barrows
        Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
          Dr. Whitney Bowe practices in NYC.

David Goldberg, M.D., J.D. also in NYC/NJ

Emma Guttman, M.D., Ph.D. Sinai, NY

Robert Latkany, M.D. NYC

Noah Scheinfeld, M.D., J.D. NYC

There are other dermatologists such as Dr. Charles Stratton at Vanderbilt.

Here is the complete list.

Dr. Berger at UCSF would be a nice addition to the RRDi MAC. Any chance you can persuade him to add his name to the list? Wouldn't it be nice if rosaceans would help other rosaceans and add good dermatologists to the RRDi MAC list?
          Thanks Brady. I'm a little amused by these MD JD's .... "decided to have both in my pocket, just in case". I used to work for one, very eccentric guy. I understand MD PHD but not MD JD ...

Comment

Originally posted by przemek View Post
            I would only see a full professor (not assistant prof) at a university teaching hospital. THere are some people so severe / complex that they need doctors and the patient needs to be an expert in their symptoms/body and self-advocate, both. Usually these are covered by insurance plans in the US and sometimes financial assistance is offered by the university. No matter how many papers or textbook chapters you read, you will never have a prescription pad I think a good place to start looking is authorship of papers, their writing style, nurse suggestions, other doctors' referrals. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm severe enough where I eventually get funneled to the doctors who take complex / severe patients or grand rounds, whatever. If I wasn't, it might be harder to find a doc, I don't know. Lots of things wrong with the medical system I think, but I'll stop there.
            Last edited by laser_cat; 13 May 2021, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X