Nose woes - what more can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nose woes - what more can I do?

I'm a fairly long time sufferer from erythema (forehead, scalp, cheeks, chin) and rhinophyma, as well as seborrheic dermatitis. The one that causes me most trouble, has got continually worse and proved most difficult to manage is the rhinophyma. I've been on doxycycline for years and it definitely helps control the inflamation. I regularly mositurize with emollient cream. I was using azelic acid for the papules (which aren't too bad), since last year I switched to using Ivermectin on advice of a dermatologist. The dermatologist also put me on brimonidine gel which I mostly use on my nose. I initially was encouraged by the brimonidine as it certainly represses the redness and hot, swelling feeling in the nose. However, when it wears off the redness comes back full force (as the dermatologist warned it would) and I find it doesn't reliably last for that long and does not stop my nose getting very red from being out in cold weather or other triggers. I use concealer / camoflague stuff on my face and nose but find it is only effective up to a point, again especially for the nose. I can get it looking pretty good with a combination of the brimonidine and concealer but it often doesn't take long or much for the redness and swelling to start showing through again e.g. just putting a facemask on for a short time will leave it looking quite bad).

There seems not to be any way to get this reliably below a tolerable level. The dermatologist basically led me to believe that this is about as good as it's going to get. (to note, I tried lasers years ago but they didn't help at all and have tried various other lotions and potions over the years with little benefit).

I'd really appreciate any informed perspectives and insights on whether there is anything more that could be done - either to treat/manage it (the nose especially but also the erythema elsewhere) or to more effectively cover it up.

Thanks in advance

I think Accutane is often used for rhinophyma, but I'm not positive about that. Has your derm brought that up? I know CO2 lasers are used for any phytamous changes of the skin too.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Jamoverton View Post
      I think Accutane is often used for rhinophyma, but I'm not positive about that. Has your derm brought that up? I know CO2 lasers are used for any phytamous changes of the skin too.
      The derm didn't mention either of those, although did say that lasers weren't the way to go for me. I'll look into it. Thanks -apppreciated

Comment

Working...
      X