X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MetcaAllfe
    replied
    Thanks for the tip!
    I guess I should try switching my diet, maybe it'll help to minimize the rosacea.

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    Originally posted by Baboon View Post
    Keto or similar diets definitely appear to benefit skin conditions like rosacea, but from what I've read there sadly seems to be a lot of research suggesting it reduces muscle and decreases bone density
    Diet is probably one of the top controversial subjects on planet earth. With rosacea, diet triggers always come up. The Keto diet has been shown anecdotally to improve rosacea in a significant number of anecdotal cases, but as far as I know, no clinical paper has been published on this, and if anyone knows of one, this would probably be a good thread to list the paper(s).

The Standard American Diet (SAD), aka, the Western Pattern Diet (WPD), has food and drink that are included on most rosacea trigger lists. There are plenty of clinical papers indicating the long term negative effects of the SAD diet.

As you have pointed out there are clinical papers indicating that the long term effects of a strict ketogenic diet are negative. However, there are different versions of the keto diet, so depending on what one determines is long term would be the standard to determine if the benefits of eating a ketogenic diet for say thirty to ninety days to see if rosacea improves rosacea. It would seem that eating keto for such a short period would have no long term effects, and there are a number of rosaceans who have indicated that indeed, a keto diet improves rosacea. But, as with any treatment for rosacea, there are those who will report that going keto does nothing for their rosacea and as Rubydo1 points out it certainly doesn't cure rosacea. There hasn't been any diet that cures rosacea. I have read anecdotal reports that say eating high carbohydrate doesn't trigger their rosacea, while many others do indeed say eating high carbohydrate triggers their rosacea.

What we can hope for is a treatment that controls rosacea. What I have found is reducing sugar and carbohydrate improves my rosacea and when I do eat sugar and carbohydrate my rosacea flares up. Sugar and carbohydrate are on the RRDi rosacea trigger list. Try to find this listed on any other non profit organization for rosacea.

Historically, mankind ate more fat and protein than carbohydrate for thousands of years. It has only been in the last two hundred years that mankind as a whole has been gorging on sucrose, fructose, and other sugars. These sugars were simply not available in such huge quantities and added to the food and drink that the world now consumes. Simply reducing these sugars, if a rosacean can do it (most rosaceans simply can't or won't do this) just for a month to see some improvement in their rosacea since sugar (carbohydrate) is the fuel that burns the rosacea inflammation. The reason most won't even try this is because sugar is an addiction. It is SAD.

It is reported that "a healthy diet ('prudent pattern') has higher proportions of unprocessed fruits, nuts, vegetables, legumes, white meat, fish, and whole-grain foods" The SAD or WPD is high in processed food and drink.

Here are two papers on this 'prudent pattern':

Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology

Association between dietary patterns and plasma biomarkers of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk

Wouldn't it be incredible if a group of rosaceans got together, say 10K, and each donated one dollar, and this group sponsored a reputable clinician to do a study to see how diet effects rosacea, for example, in this thread the keto diet, or for that matter, the group could vote which diet they want investigated and then we would have our own independent rosacea research in contrast to the skin industry research currently going on?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 26 May 2021, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rubydo1
    replied
    Originally posted by Baboon View Post
    Keto or similar diets definitely appear to benefit skin conditions like rosacea, but from what I've read there sadly seems to be a lot of research suggesting it reduces muscle and decreases bone density
    I did keto for 5 months. I did have a few less spots but didn?t cure rosacea. I think the Zoe Test will be helpful when it comes out

Leave a comment:

• Baboon
    replied
    Originally posted by cocojo123 View Post
    This is a really interesting discussion and reflects current research into dietary inflammation, disease and health. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/landmark-...diet-illnesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• cocojo123
    replied
    This is a really interesting discussion and reflects current research into dietary inflammation, disease and health. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/landmark-...diet-illnesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Baboon
    replied
    Would be good to know how many people have gone Keto and noticed improvements. It's interesting to hear Dr. Berry's take on things like rice and potatoes causing inflammation. I rarely eat red meat (even though it's delicious), mostly grains, rice, quinoa, vegetables and poultry or fish. I try and avoid dairy too as it causes acne.

My only reservation about eating a high meat diet is it's connection with things such as heart disease and cancer, appears to be a lot of data to back it up. Do any of you guys follow Dr. Greger? Here's his site: https://nutritionfacts.org He does videos showing the effects of meat and the effects of vegan diet on human health, all peer reviewed studies so it's not just wishy washy opinions. I tried vegan for a week but couldn't stick it as I just felt hungry all the time and experiencing low energy, maybe I was doing it wrong I really believe vegan is the way to go to live longer and have good overall health but I'd be very interested in trying Keto for a while as an experiment.

Leave a comment:

• boris
    replied
    i started the keto diet about a week ago and have noticed my baseline redness has gone down a lot and ive lost about 1.5 kgs ...

ive also stopped propecia for hair loss and havent been flushing as much since then but when i do flush its the same pattern as normal - will have to wait and see if my hormone levels stabalize !

Leave a comment:

• Jamoverton
    replied
    Originally posted by RedMage View Post
    This is great, he says exactly the things I can observe within myself. When I eat pasta, rice, potatoes or other carbohydrate fillers my skin is going crazy red, flamable. On the other hand it is really hard to cut sugars and carbs from the normal diet, they are everywhere unless you go full carnivore.

I've been there I mean on the carnivore diet and my weight droped so instanly that I started to being worry about myself. My head spinned very often too. It has some downsides but I felt really alive for the first time in 20 years I could sleep 5 hours and waking up rested and with full energy for a whole day.

It was about 1,5 year ago and after that I start to make adjustments to my diet by adding or removing certain foods. The diary is no go for me thats for sure, after the diary food immidiately I have acne and rash on my back and arms so definietely there is something with my gut and certain foods.
    That's interesting how everyone is different. I do much better on a mostly vegan diet- no dairy, eggs, or meat. I eat a lot of vegetables, fish, beans, gluten-free grains, sweet potatoes, etc. My flushing is lessened and I lost weight. When I tried the AIP/paleo diet, which is pretty low carb and includes lots of meat, I felt awful and it didn't do anything to help my rosacea symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• RedMage
    replied
    This is great, he says exactly the things I can observe within myself. When I eat pasta, rice, potatoes or other carbohydrate fillers my skin is going crazy red, flamable. On the other hand it is really hard to cut sugars and carbs from the normal diet, they are everywhere unless you go full carnivore.

I've been there I mean on the carnivore diet and my weight droped so instanly that I started to being worry about myself. My head spinned very often too. It has some downsides but I felt really alive for the first time in 20 years I could sleep 5 hours and waking up rested and with full energy for a whole day.

It was about 1,5 year ago and after that I start to make adjustments to my diet by adding or removing certain foods. The diary is no go for me thats for sure, after the diary food immidiately I have acne and rash on my back and arms so definietely there is something with my gut and certain foods.

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. I have added Dr. Berry's video on the RRDi website and would love to have him join our cause either on the RRDi MAC or serve on the board of directors.

Leave a comment:

• Baboon
    started a topic ROSACEA diet (Reverse the Redness) 2021

ROSACEA diet (Reverse the Redness) 2021

Has anyone seen this video? He's a doctor who claims to have reversed his rosacea simply by converting to a keto diet and cutting out grains.
    Wonder has anyone else had success with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azR6oExrrFg
Working...
X