I think I found the problem! Pics included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capture531 View Post
    So I actually did a little research that some might be interested in as far as kill times of demodex. The mechanism by which Ivermectin actually kills mites is that it interferes with their GABA neurotransmitter, which essentially paralyzes them. This in turn kills them. You can read about that here:

http://www.ahdbonline.com/payer-pers...dr-zoe-draelos

Like Brady mentioned there aren't really any clinical papers with data showing dead mites in relation to Ivermectin in vitro. I have found a couple studies that test 10% povidone-iodine, 75% alcohol, 50% baby shampoo, and 4% pilocarpine and varying degrees of tea tree oil. Demodex folliculorum survived for more than 150 minutes in 10% povidone-iodine, 75% alcohol, 50% baby shampoo, and 4% pilocarpine. However, the survival time was significantly shortened to within 15 minutes in 100% alcohol, 100% TTO, 100% caraway oil, or 100% dill weed oil. TTO's in vitro killing effect was dose dependent. You can read about that here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16234455

Terpinen-4-ol is the main component of tea tree oil that affects demodex and has been shown to be effective at 1% compared to the higher doses of tea tree oil needed (which can cause irritation). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3860352/ This component can be found in commercial Cliradex products. There is also a study comparing Cliradex to Avenova HOCL solution. T40 took 40 minutes. HOCL was no more effective than mineral oil and 79% of mites were alive after 90 minutes.

I recently prepared a slide with demodex mites that I obtained from myself (I seem to have a lot!) and tested 1% Ivermectin on them. I have a tube of Soolantra. Demodex can't live for very long off of their host but in the above studies they have survived for up to at least 150 minutes on a slide. I experimented with 2 mites. I applied the Soolantra directly to the first sample under the microscope and let the other demodex alone to just go about its merry way. Kill time in demodex is basically defined as the cessation of movement of the body, legs, and mouth. All of this is very visible if I use 250X magnification. The first demodex was unable to remove itself from the Ivermectin and died in about 25-30 minutes. The second demodex mite actually made its way over to the Ivermectin, became trapped and died in about 30 minutes. I have tested other solutions such as Briotech HOCL spray and alcohol. The mites continued to move freely and didn't die. There is some speculation that Ivermectin works because it is anti-inflammatory. My dermatologist mentioned that very little product from topicals can penetrate the hair follicle to where the mites actually reside. However, if applied at night my only assumption is that it could have an effect when they emerge from follicles to reproduce lol which is just lovely.

Anyway...that's my science project for today
    I will update this thread with any other solutions that I decide to try.
    Nice project well done ���� so in theory applying soolantra in the day is a waste of time.
    I’m on week 11 and have broken out a bit this week . I only apply it at night but all over .
    Surely these buggers should dead by now. ��
    Last edited by Rubydo1; 15 November 2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capture531 View Post
      So would you use a tea tree shampoo? Im kind of curious how it would even get down in the follicle to reach them though? Its almost like you would need a leave on treatment.
      You will be lucky to get rid of every single demodex mite. But using a tea tree oil shampoo, maybe 2-3 times a week will reduce the scalp population significantly in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
        You will be lucky to get rid of every single demodex mite. But using a tea tree oil shampoo, maybe 2-3 times a week will reduce the scalp population significantly in my experience.
        Yeah I use a tea tree shampoo have done for months

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
          Gotcha! Is there a good one you would suggest?

Comment

Working...
          X