Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I control flushing during sleep?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can I control flushing during sleep?

    I noticed for a while now that I look very flushed in the morning. This didn’t use to happen and I suspect the multiple laser treatments for broken veins may have triggered rosacea for me. I never used to have a problem with flushing, just the veins, but now it seems after a night of sleep my cheeks always look so inflamed it takes all day (and sometimes not even then) to calm them down. I tried elevated pillow, controlling my sleep positions as much as I can, sleeping in a cooler room all to no avail. Anyone else dealing with the same thing?

  • #2
    Originally posted by blahphase View Post
    I noticed for a while now that I look very flushed in the morning. This didn’t use to happen and I suspect the multiple laser treatments for broken veins may have triggered rosacea for me. I never used to have a problem with flushing, just the veins, but now it seems after a night of sleep my cheeks always look so inflamed it takes all day (and sometimes not even then) to calm them down. I tried elevated pillow, controlling my sleep positions as much as I can, sleeping in a cooler room all to no avail. Anyone else dealing with the same thing?
    Yes, this is something mirtazapine is good for. I still have to fall asleep really elevated- I bought a wedge pillow that helps with this- but otherwise I don't have an issue with flushing in the middle of the night anymore.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you aware of the list of prescription and non prescription treatments for flushing?
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi


      Comment


      • #4
        I had this problem. I was barely sleeping most nights at its worst. If you look at some old threads on sleeping & flushing - you'll see me asking for help about it.

        What helped me -

        1) sleeping on my back and elevated (as others noted). Not even turning to one side or the other as the blood pools - no face on pillow. It was hard at first - I was a side sleeper - but I adjusted. And your face ages better if you don't smush it against a pillow!

        2) not eating late at night. I try not to eat past 7. And even then, nothing too heavy. Heaviest meal is lunch. Helped minimize any traveling of food gasses and help with any issues of acid reflux (as well as sleeping elevated). Only drink water in the evening or decaf green tea. All about calming down my system for the night.

        3) low carb, low dairy, low sugar and intermittent fasting. This helped a lot. Cutting out skim milk and sugar was big - it stopped the papules - only had almond milk if needed. Nothing with whey - whey protein would send my face into a reaction. Stopped the breads, pastas, sandwiches, etc. High fat, low carb. Now that I'm better - I let myself eat that stuff when I go out with friends or occasionally at home. But still can't do it daily. You'll feel better all around, too. Int Fasting: eat from 11 am - 7 pm. It helped a lot to learn to eat midday versus end of day. There's tons of info on low carb and IF online.

        4) If you're female, have your hormones checked. I am - and wish I had checked sooner. This is also why dairy such as animal milk can also be a prob.

        I've been there with the bad flushing thing. Getting enough sleep is so important - yet how do you sleep when your face is on fire??! I hope some of this helps you. I was practically housebound a handful of years ago. I learned so much from everyone here, read this forum a lot, did my own research and went through a lot of trial and error. I'm much better now. I still have rosacea - but it doesn't have me.

        Best wishes.

        Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hg24 View Post
          I had this problem. I was barely sleeping most nights at its worst. If you look at some old threads on sleeping & flushing - you'll see me asking for help about it.

          What helped me -

          1) sleeping on my back and elevated (as others noted). Not even turning to one side or the other as the blood pools - no face on pillow. It was hard at first - I was a side sleeper - but I adjusted. And your face ages better if you don't smush it against a pillow!

          2) not eating late at night. I try not to eat past 7. And even then, nothing too heavy. Heaviest meal is lunch. Helped minimize any traveling of food gasses and help with any issues of acid reflux (as well as sleeping elevated). Only drink water in the evening or decaf green tea. All about calming down my system for the night.

          3) low carb, low dairy, low sugar and intermittent fasting. This helped a lot. Cutting out skim milk and sugar was big - it stopped the papules - only had almond milk if needed. Nothing with whey - whey protein would send my face into a reaction. Stopped the breads, pastas, sandwiches, etc. High fat, low carb. Now that I'm better - I let myself eat that stuff when I go out with friends or occasionally at home. But still can't do it daily. You'll feel better all around, too. Int Fasting: eat from 11 am - 7 pm. It helped a lot to learn to eat midday versus end of day. There's tons of info on low carb and IF online.

          4) If you're female, have your hormones checked. I am - and wish I had checked sooner. This is also why dairy such as animal milk can also be a prob.

          I've been there with the bad flushing thing. Getting enough sleep is so important - yet how do you sleep when your face is on fire??! I hope some of this helps you. I was practically housebound a handful of years ago. I learned so much from everyone here, read this forum a lot, did my own research and went through a lot of trial and error. I'm much better now. I still have rosacea - but it doesn't have me.

          Best wishes.

          Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk
          thank you for your thorough post. May I ask did you ever do a allergy/intolerance test?

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi, yes, I did have a couple of basic allergy tests - one with an allergist MD and another a derm. I had a mild reaction to shrimp in one test. And a reaction to nickel in the other.

            I grew up drinking milk my whole life - even into adulthood. But as we know, food responses can change over time. It was only through researching rosacea and dairy connections and a suggestion by my derm that I decided to experiment with leaving it out of my diet. It didn't affect my flushing - but the bumps improved. I can have dairy now in small, infrequent amounts (ice cream, cheese). Cow's milk seemed to be much more of the issue. I was having cow's milk in cereal for example- which I don't eat anymore).

            There are some great threads on the forum about food intolerances!

            Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hg24 View Post
              Hi, yes, I did have a couple of basic allergy tests - one with an allergist MD and another a derm. I had a mild reaction to shrimp in one test. And a reaction to nickel in the other.

              I grew up drinking milk my whole life - even into adulthood. But as we know, food responses can change over time. It was only through researching rosacea and dairy connections and a suggestion by my derm that I decided to experiment with leaving it out of my diet. It didn't affect my flushing - but the bumps improved. I can have dairy now in small, infrequent amounts (ice cream, cheese). Cow's milk seemed to be much more of the issue. I was having cow's milk in cereal for example- which I don't eat anymore).

              There are some great threads on the forum about food intolerances!

              Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk
              I wondered if triggers may show in these tests. But that is probably not the case. I wouldn't mind going on a "hardcore" diet but living with other people makes it really hard...

              Comment


              • #8
                I hear ya. It sounds hardcore. But it's not. I didn't just turnaround one morning and take all of the "bad food" out of my diet. And I never was 100 percent with any of it. We have to be realistic - we're human.

                I did things in small increments. Switched from cow's milk to almond milk. Wasn't hard at all because tastes the same in cereal. Then I began eating scrambled eggs versus cereal some days.

                Opted for big salads, soups, etc, versus sandwiches for work lunch.

                Cut out diet sodas. Upped my water intake a LOT - helped my skin, flushing and feeling of fullness. Ate a bit more healthy fat - avocados, almond butter, almonds, etc. And like I said, I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted when I went out for a meal with friends. Sometimes we're fine with certain foods until we start eating too much of it day after day.

                I am not a "health nut" by any means - just haven't been able to be that "good." But decreasing daily foods that for me cause inflammation - milk, whey-based foods, high-glycemic breads, cereal, pasta; and high-sugar sweets - has made me healthier overall and helped my skin.

                Anything we can do to quiet our system - in other words, lower inflammation - can help our skin from being so reactive.

                I live alone. So can understand how it's harder with other people in the house. But even small changes here and there can help - for your rosacea and overall health. Maybe just start with one thing?

                Ps I just ate two big oatmeal cookies. My skin will be fine. But I can't have that every day.



                Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hg24 View Post
                  I hear ya. It sounds hardcore. But it's not. I didn't just turnaround one morning and take all of the "bad food" out of my diet. And I never was 100 percent with any of it. We have to be realistic - we're human.

                  I did things in small increments. Switched from cow's milk to almond milk. Wasn't hard at all because tastes the same in cereal. Then I began eating scrambled eggs versus cereal some days.

                  Opted for big salads, soups, etc, versus sandwiches for work lunch.

                  Cut out diet sodas. Upped my water intake a LOT - helped my skin, flushing and feeling of fullness. Ate a bit more healthy fat - avocados, almond butter, almonds, etc. And like I said, I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted when I went out for a meal with friends. Sometimes we're fine with certain foods until we start eating too much of it day after day.

                  I am not a "health nut" by any means - just haven't been able to be that "good." But decreasing daily foods that for me cause inflammation - milk, whey-based foods, high-glycemic breads, cereal, pasta; and high-sugar sweets - has made me healthier overall and helped my skin.

                  Anything we can do to quiet our system - in other words, lower inflammation - can help our skin from being so reactive.

                  I live alone. So can understand how it's harder with other people in the house. But even small changes here and there can help - for your rosacea and overall health. Maybe just start with one thing?

                  Ps I just ate two big oatmeal cookies. My skin will be fine. But I can't have that every day.



                  Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk
                  thats awesome! if you would rank it from 1-10 in how bad your rosacea felt for you what would it before your changes and now?
                  Do you sleep with a pillow under your knees that you don't turn to the side in your sleep? i'm sleeping with a neck pillow but not on my back. Will have to try that though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by opare View Post
                    thats awesome! if you would rank it from 1-10 in how bad your rosacea felt for you what would it before your changes and now?
                    Do you sleep with a pillow under your knees that you don't turn to the side in your sleep? i'm sleeping with a neck pillow but not on my back. Will have to try that though.
                    My rosacea used to be severe - as in deep red flushing of my whole face. It was a 10+. Now I'd say - if I can stay out of hot rooms - I'm about a 2 or 3. In a hot room, where my face might sting and lightly flush - I'm about a 4 or 5.

                    I googled for advice about how people transitioned to sleeping on their backs. I don't use a pillow under my knees - but that sounds like it could be a good idea. I just prop up two or three pillows behind me, and sleep like that. Elevated. And I vary my leg position between straight or the position where one is straight and the other bent (like the number 4). It took getting used to - now I kind of prefer it knowing how much better it is for my rosacea and aging.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by blahphase View Post
                      I noticed for a while now that I look very flushed in the morning. This didn’t use to happen and I suspect the multiple laser treatments for broken veins may have triggered rosacea for me. I never used to have a problem with flushing, just the veins, but now it seems after a night of sleep my cheeks always look so inflamed it takes all day (and sometimes not even then) to calm them down. I tried elevated pillow, controlling my sleep positions as much as I can, sleeping in a cooler room all to no avail. Anyone else dealing with the same thing?
                      Hi blaphase,
                      Laser triggered my rosacea too. Like you, I just had some broken veins before the laser. No flushing, stinging or swelling before the laser. How I regret doing laser. It’s very frustrating how much laser seems to be promoted as a wonder treatment for veins when it seems to also be a trigger for rosacea.
                      My flushing was extremely bad at the beginning of this year but it is much better now ( but not fully resolved). I had to sleep on my back too or my face would fill with blood. I can sleep on my side again. Clonidine stopped the overwhelming flushes but now I have switched to MSM which is working well.
                      Duloxetine has greatly helped the stinging.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Momof View Post
                        Hi blaphase,
                        Laser triggered my rosacea too. Like you, I just had some broken veins before the laser. No flushing, stinging or swelling before the laser. How I regret doing laser. It’s very frustrating how much laser seems to be promoted as a wonder treatment for veins when it seems to also be a trigger for rosacea.
                        My flushing was extremely bad at the beginning of this year but it is much better now ( but not fully resolved). I had to sleep on my back too or my face would fill with blood. I can sleep on my side again. Clonidine stopped the overwhelming flushes but now I have switched to MSM which is working well.
                        Duloxetine has greatly helped the stinging.
                        How quickly started MSM to work for you? I've started taking it myself. Anything you recommend to keep in mind taking it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Momof View Post
                          Hi blaphase,
                          Laser triggered my rosacea too. Like you, I just had some broken veins before the laser. No flushing, stinging or swelling before the laser. How I regret doing laser. It’s very frustrating how much laser seems to be promoted as a wonder treatment for veins when it seems to also be a trigger for rosacea.
                          My flushing was extremely bad at the beginning of this year but it is much better now ( but not fully resolved). I had to sleep on my back too or my face would fill with blood. I can sleep on my side again. Clonidine stopped the overwhelming flushes but now I have switched to MSM which is working well.
                          Duloxetine has greatly helped the stinging.
                          As Opare, wanna know it too!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 3jun View Post
                            As Opare, wanna know it too!
                            Hi both,
                            Msm worked immediately for me-the first day I took it I had no flushing and it continues to work. I am just taking 1000 x1 daily for now. I recommend taking it early-mid morning as it causes dreams ( for me anyway) if I take it later in the day. Even when the rest of my body gets warm, my face remains cool. It’s as if the MSM “blocks” the blood going to my face.

                            The one thing I am slightly concerned about is that I am quite sore/stiff in parts of my body ( as if I have done an intense workout-which I haven’t) and I’m sure the MSM is causing the soreness because I didn’t take it one day this week and the soreness went away by that evening ( and I didn’t flush that day either). Nobody else has reported this side effect. Maybe I should just build it up by taking it every second day for a few weeks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Momof View Post
                              Hi both,
                              Msm worked immediately for me-the first day I took it I had no flushing and it continues to work. I am just taking 1000 x1 daily for now. I recommend taking it early-mid morning as it causes dreams ( for me anyway) if I take it later in the day. Even when the rest of my body gets warm, my face remains cool. It’s as if the MSM “blocks” the blood going to my face.

                              The one thing I am slightly concerned about is that I am quite sore/stiff in parts of my body ( as if I have done an intense workout-which I haven’t) and I’m sure the MSM is causing the soreness because I didn’t take it one day this week and the soreness went away by that evening ( and I didn’t flush that day either). Nobody else has reported this side effect. Maybe I should just build it up by taking it every second day for a few weeks.
                              That is awesome! Hope it helps my flushing too... It is the worst part for me. As you flush less now, your redness has improved? Is your skin less dry? Overall apareance?

                              What MSM are you taking? I have read OptiMSM is the best one

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X