Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elemental Diet for SIBO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elemental Diet for SIBO

    Hello,

    Studies have shown a link between SIBO and rosacea. We know it.

    SIBO is very difficult to treat. Rifaximin (antibiotic used for SIBO) gives about 50% success.

    The Elemental Diet consists of drinking a liquid preparation containing "everything" that the body needs (macro-nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc.) for 2 or 3 weeks.

    This brings the necessary elements to the body but removes the digestive phase and leaves the digestive system "free", and it is starving bacteria.

    A study has shown that this diet held over 2 weeks gave 80% SIBO remission.

    Has anyone ever tried?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ryohiku View Post
    Hello,

    Studies have shown a link between SIBO and rosacea. We know it.

    SIBO is very difficult to treat. Rifaximin (antibiotic used for SIBO) gives about 50% success.

    The Elemental Diet consists of drinking a liquid preparation containing "everything" that the body needs (macro-nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc.) for 2 or 3 weeks.

    This brings the necessary elements to the body but removes the digestive phase and leaves the digestive system "free", and it is starving bacteria.

    A study has shown that this diet held over 2 weeks gave 80% SIBO remission.

    Has anyone ever tried?
    No but I’m seeing a specialist and asking for the test .

    Comment


    • #3
      ive had redness , flushing , bad face rashes ( mostly in my beard ) , seb derm and then little spots around my eyes and nose at different times over the last 3 years ... at the moment its just flushing with known triggers - alcohol and food , which is literally any food i eat , and the little spots that come and go.

      ive also had bad gut problems , all the usual stuff - the runs , burping , huge bloating , acid reflux , weight gain , lethargy , cramps etc etc

      i can pin it down to a specific weekend when it started , i slept with a girl and then all this mess began...

      been going to the doctor literally monthly with the same complaints and tested for crohn's , lupus etc and everything came back normal . one doc who wasnt my usual one insinuated i was being a drama queen !

      finally i got a referral to a gastro doc through the NHS here in the uk , and at the same time used it to go private through my works health insurance

      both straight away suspected it could be cancer because of the random flushing - carcinoid syndrome was the possible cause

      i didnt agree , as i told them that i had taken rifaxamin for 2 weeks three times and the first time my stomach symptoms got better , but not anything else

      fun fact - rifaxamin is not allowed to be prescribed on the NHS as its too expensive apparently !

      through the private insurance i got a CT scan , colonoscopy and endoscopy done and nothing turned up apart from some colon polyps that werent considered serious ...

      through the NHS doctor i managed to persuade her that it could be somthing related to mast cell disorder , possibly mastocytosis as all the symptoms do match that ...

      had another endoscopy 2 days ago to take samples of my stomach lining for mastocytosis , and straight away the doc managed to find 3 CHRONIC ulcers that my private doctor had somehow missed !!!

      one , fair enough , quite easy to miss but 3 !? and they were all in the same place !?

      to me thats pretty bad , and the thing is he also is a consultant at the same NHS hospital , he had been working there the previous day and all the staff knew him !

      obviously im furious about this , tried contacting him but cant get any reply - i wonder why ?

      if i had just took his word this could have just continued on and on and not been found

      as it is , im now on proton pump inhibitors for 2 months before another test , and im certain this is ONE of the causes of my flushing , but there is another twist to this story !

      in all the blood tests ive had one interesting result result came back - my thyroid ...

      it seems my T4 is fine but my TSH level is high at 4.9

      for my age it should be 4.15 - talked to my GP and he, as usual , said its ok lets monitor it - bull**** !

      so for the past week ive been taking 50 mcg of synthroid which is a thyroid replacement drug and the change has been remarkable to say the least - bloating gone , more energy , brain fog lifted , feel happier , less stressed and most importantly for me - baseline redness reduced by at least 60 % and random flushing pretty much stopped - only happened twice in 1 week , as opposed to 3 times a day at least before this ...

      next up is to demand a test for h.pylori as this seems to be the main cause of stomach ulcers but at least i seem to be getting somewhere now - by the way , i think that is what i caught from the girl i slept with 3 years ago and led to all this , if only i could turn back time !

      good luck people

      jus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by boris View Post
        ive had redness , flushing , bad face rashes ( mostly in my beard ) , seb derm and then little spots around my eyes and nose at different times over the last 3 years ... at the moment its just flushing with known triggers - alcohol and food , which is literally any food i eat , and the little spots that come and go.

        ive also had bad gut problems , all the usual stuff - the runs , burping , huge bloating , acid reflux , weight gain , lethargy , cramps etc etc

        i can pin it down to a specific weekend when it started , i slept with a girl and then all this mess began...

        been going to the doctor literally monthly with the same complaints and tested for crohn's , lupus etc and everything came back normal . one doc who wasnt my usual one insinuated i was being a drama queen !

        finally i got a referral to a gastro doc through the NHS here in the uk , and at the same time used it to go private through my works health insurance

        both straight away suspected it could be cancer because of the random flushing - carcinoid syndrome was the possible cause

        i didnt agree , as i told them that i had taken rifaxamin for 2 weeks three times and the first time my stomach symptoms got better , but not anything else

        fun fact - rifaxamin is not allowed to be prescribed on the NHS as its too expensive apparently !

        through the private insurance i got a CT scan , colonoscopy and endoscopy done and nothing turned up apart from some colon polyps that werent considered serious ...

        through the NHS doctor i managed to persuade her that it could be somthing related to mast cell disorder , possibly mastocytosis as all the symptoms do match that ...

        had another endoscopy 2 days ago to take samples of my stomach lining for mastocytosis , and straight away the doc managed to find 3 CHRONIC ulcers that my private doctor had somehow missed !!!

        one , fair enough , quite easy to miss but 3 !? and they were all in the same place !?

        to me thats pretty bad , and the thing is he also is a consultant at the same NHS hospital , he had been working there the previous day and all the staff knew him !

        obviously im furious about this , tried contacting him but cant get any reply - i wonder why ?

        if i had just took his word this could have just continued on and on and not been found

        as it is , im now on proton pump inhibitors for 2 months before another test , and im certain this is ONE of the causes of my flushing , but there is another twist to this story !

        in all the blood tests ive had one interesting result result came back - my thyroid ...

        it seems my T4 is fine but my TSH level is high at 4.9

        for my age it should be 4.15 - talked to my GP and he, as usual , said its ok lets monitor it - bull**** !

        so for the past week ive been taking 50 mcg of synthroid which is a thyroid replacement drug and the change has been remarkable to say the least - bloating gone , more energy , brain fog lifted , feel happier , less stressed and most importantly for me - baseline redness reduced by at least 60 % and random flushing pretty much stopped - only happened twice in 1 week , as opposed to 3 times a day at least before this ...

        next up is to demand a test for h.pylori as this seems to be the main cause of stomach ulcers but at least i seem to be getting somewhere now - by the way , i think that is what i caught from the girl i slept with 3 years ago and led to all this , if only i could turn back time !

        good luck people

        jus
        Wow sounds so much like some of my symptoms. I’m paying private to see a professor at Sheffield hospital. I feel like death I’ve been dealing with this for a year. I did a test off amazon for h pylori and it was negative. Antacids see to make things worse ranitidine really doesn’t agree with me omeprzole made me want to throw up. What you taking ?

        Comment


        • #5
          im on clonidine and propanalol for flushing , lansoprazole and zantac for my ulcers , and synthroid for my thyroid ( starter dose only at the moment ) - clonidine is the worst one for me , makes me feel rough

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boris View Post
            im on clonidine and propanalol for flushing , lansoprazole and zantac for my ulcers , and synthroid for my thyroid ( starter dose only at the moment ) - clonidine is the worst one for me , makes me feel rough
            Doc want to put me on a ppi I always through rosacea was caused by low stomach acid. I’ve tried Zantac an it makes me ill same with Omeprazole. So I’ve just been using Gaviscon. But he wants to try me on a new one

            Comment

            Working...
            X