Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the reason behind the dryness and flakiness associated with rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the reason behind the dryness and flakiness associated with rosacea?

Hello guys. My main problem with rosacea apart from the redness, pimples and very sensitive skin, is the dryness and flakiness.
    This dryness causes me depression the most, my face is very dry and flaky, as if its an eczema, it looks like an eczema on the skin. If the pimples and the inflammtion is controlled the dryness and flakiness diasppeared or at least decreased, so i know for sure that the pimples and redness causes this dryness and flaky skin.
    But alot of rosacea sufferers can feel their skin is dry and tight but not as flaky as mine.
    I want to know the reason behind it so i can treat it
    For 13 years now i couldnt find a single moisturizer that doesnt flare up my rosacea.
    I have found a great sunblock and been using it for years now and some howa a good topicals( erythromycin and metronidazole gel) that helps with my rosacea symptoms.
    But i really need a good moisturizer, i have lost hope.
    Can anyone help me though this plz?
    Thanks in advance

If you're like me, it's because concomitantly with rosacea, you also have seborrheic dermatitis, which is characterized by (even extreme) flaking which in my case was very bad and formed sheets or plaques of dry skin that would peel off.

Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis occur together in a lot of people. I was diagnosed with seb derm first and rosacea second, which I think is more common (perhaps because dermatologists are more familiar with seb derm).

The moisturizer that I use to deal with this combination of diseases is Uriage DS Emulsion ("DS" is the French abbreviation for seborrheic dermatitis, so whenever you see DS on a product, that's who it's for. Ducray and Bioderma also have DS moisturizers, I believe Bioderma's is called Sensibio DS+ and Ducray's is called Kelual DS). I have fallen in love with the Uriage DS Emulsion and am planning to start using another product from the same line, DS Gel Nettoyant, as a shampoo 2-3x/week to treat the seb derm symptoms on my scalp (I have some flaking there as well that is not dandruff).

While I do generally recommend this moisturizer, it is hard to say whether it will work for you, because our skin is so unique to us. At any rate, I can find it for 11.50 Euros for a 40 mL tube which is moderately pricey but not terrible, and 40 mL lasts me exactly 40 days.

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
      If you're like me, it's because concomitantly with rosacea, you also have seborrheic dermatitis, which is characterized by (even extreme) flaking which in my case was very bad and formed sheets or plaques of dry skin that would peel off.

Rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis occur together in a lot of people. I was diagnosed with seb derm first and rosacea second, which I think is more common (perhaps because dermatologists are more familiar with seb derm).

The moisturizer that I use to deal with this combination of diseases is Uriage DS Emulsion ("DS" is the French abbreviation for seborrheic dermatitis, so whenever you see DS on a product, that's who it's for. Ducray and Bioderma also have DS moisturizers, I believe Bioderma's is called Sensibio DS+ and Ducray's is called Kelual DS). I have fallen in love with the Uriage DS Emulsion and am planning to start using another product from the same line, DS Gel Nettoyant, as a shampoo 2-3x/week to treat the seb derm symptoms on my scalp (I have some flaking there as well that is not dandruff).

While I do generally recommend this moisturizer, it is hard to say whether it will work for you, because our skin is so unique to us. At any rate, I can find it for 11.50 Euros for a 40 mL tube which is moderately pricey but not terrible, and 40 mL lasts me exactly 40 days.
      Thank you so kuch for ur reply, u r so helpful.
      Yes i believe that i have both seborrheic dermatits and rosacea, i have sebrorrheic dermatits on scalp and behind my ear and i use selsun blue shampoo.
      I will have a look for this moisturizer hopefully it can work for me.
      Thanks again

Comment

Rosacea and dry skin

Originally posted by Miaa View Post
        Hello guys. My main problem with rosacea apart from the redness, pimples and very sensitive skin, is the dryness and flakiness.
        This dryness causes me depression the most, my face is very dry and flaky, as if its an eczema, it looks like an eczema on the skin. If the pimples and the inflammtion is controlled the dryness and flakiness diasppeared or at least decreased, so i know for sure that the pimples and redness causes this dryness and flaky skin.
        But alot of rosacea sufferers can feel their skin is dry and tight but not as flaky as mine.
        I want to know the reason behind it so i can treat it
        For 13 years now i couldnt find a single moisturizer that doesnt flare up my rosacea.
        I have found a great sunblock and been using it for years now and some howa a good topicals( erythromycin and metronidazole gel) that helps with my rosacea symptoms.
        But i really need a good moisturizer, i have lost hope.
        Can anyone help me though this plz?
        Thanks in advance
        One reason why rosacea causes dry skin could be sebahorric dermatitis. This skin condition is commonly found in areas of the body which are rich in sebaceous glands. These glands are present mostly in the facial region and the scalp. They are exocrine glands which are responsible for producing sebum that helps in keeping the skin moist.

Rosacea which most commonly manifests on the facial skin can get dry and flaky because of the associated dermatitis. Lack of certain nutrients in the diet such as biotin or vitamin B6 or B12 may result in this condition.Many consider seborrhoea to be a type of androgen-sensitive condition. Hormonal fluctuations such as those associated with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) and puberty may be responsible for it.

So there you go - the missing link between rosacea and itchy skin.

If you are looking on how to get rid of this condition, you can find some great skin care tips here

Comment

Originally posted by DocBaldreich View Post
          One reason why rosacea causes dry skin could be sebahorric dermatitis. This skin condition is commonly found in areas of the body which are rich in sebaceous glands. These glands are present mostly in the facial region and the scalp. They are exocrine glands which are responsible for producing sebum that helps in keeping the skin moist.

Rosacea which most commonly manifests on the facial skin can get dry and flaky because of the associated dermatitis. Lack of certain nutrients in the diet such as biotin or vitamin B6 or B12 may result in this condition.Many consider seborrhoea to be a type of androgen-sensitive condition. Hormonal fluctuations such as those associated with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) and puberty may be responsible for it.

So there you go - the missing link between rosacea and itchy skin.

If you are looking on how to get rid of this condition, you can find some great skin care tips here
          Thank you so much for the great explanation
          Unfortunately i dont know how to treat them both together, as things prescribed for seborrea dermatitis irritate my rosacea skin

Comment

Originally posted by Miaa View Post
            Thank you so much for the great explanation
            Unfortunately i dont know how to treat them both together, as things prescribed for seborrea dermatitis irritate my rosacea skin
            It is not uncommon for rosacea to co-exist with SD. Usually, the SD is generally on the forehead and scalp, while the rosacea is generally on the nose and cheeks. As you already know, some treatments for SD irritate rosacea. Suggestion read Tom Busby's SD Treatment Protocol if you haven't already, and this post as well. As for the rosacea, you may want to consider using Probiotic oral and topical treatments. There are a now a huge number of over the counter treatments to consider.
            Brady Barrows
            Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Working...
            X