Global AD

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rosacea flare up. Need advice. (With pics)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rosacea flare up. Need advice. (With pics)

    **UPDATE**

    Hi everyone,

    A little about myself. I am a 30 year old active male. Plays many sports and works out consistently. Roughly 5'9 185 pounds. Eat fairly clean. Live a healthy lifestyle don't drink nor do I do drugs ever. Have been in law enforcement since 19 years old.

    A little health history.. Was diagnosed with psoriasis when I was roughly 13 years old. Psoriasis is mostly on my scalp and is well controlled with shampoo. have a bit of anxiety, could be hyper vigilance from my career. I take paxil for this, seems to keep my anxiety at bay and helps me with my day to day activities.

    At roughly 22 years old I started to develop what I would think is type 1 rosacea. I get HOT random flushing in my cheek bone area and nose aswell. It seems like it is completely random, I can be at work, or I can be sitting watching a movie at home. Doesn't matter when or where. I find the flushing also comes with a bit of fatigue and possibly headaches.

    My doctor has tested my kidneys. Has done numerous blood tests. Has also done urine culture tests. All which come back normal. Doctor has prescribed me with numerous creams (brimonodine, metrogel) the brimonodine seems to help a bit to smooth my skin and make it feel better, the metro gel made my skin much worse. My doctor also put me on clonidine to see if the flushing would be more relaxed, but to no avail. It seems to make me less anxious but the flushing still comes and goes. Another treatment he tried was low dose doxycycline for a few months. Made my skin quite soft, but the redness flushing was still there with very little change.

    Now my question is, if it were up to you, would you rather my doc put me on accutane low dose for a long term trial, or would you recommend me get IPL/vbeam? Which should I try first?

    I will attach some pics to show everyone what I'm talking about. I'm getting really sick of this I would love to have a healthy glow to my skin instead of complete redness all over.

    Thank you to everyone for taking the time to ready my post, I hope someone may be able to give me some suggestions as I'm finding it very hard.ti stay positive these days.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by shyguy; 24 March 2024, 12:28 AM. Reason: **UPDATED**

  • #2
    Originally posted by shyguy View Post
    Hi everyone,

    A little about myself. I am a 30 year old active male. Plays many sports and works out consistently. Roughly 5'9 185 pounds. Eat fairly clean. Live a healthy lifestyle don't drink nor do I do drugs ever. Have been in law enforcement since 19 years old.

    A little health history.. Was diagnosed with psoriasis when I was roughly 13 years old. Psoriasis is mostly on my scalp and is well controlled with shampoo. have a bit of anxiety, could be hyper vigilance from my career. I take paxil for this, seems to keep my anxiety at bay and helps me with my day to day activities.

    At roughly 22 years old I started to develop what I would think is type 1 rosacea. I get HOT random flushing in my cheek bone area and nose aswell. It seems like it is completely random, I can be at work, or I can be sitting watching a movie at home. Doesn't matter when or where. I find the flushing also comes with a bit of fatigue and possibly headaches.

    My doctor has tested my kidneys. Has done numerous blood tests. Has also done urine culture tests. All which come back normal. Doctor has prescribed me with numerous creams (brimonodine, metrogel) the brimonodine seems to help a bit to smooth my skin and make it feel better, the metro gel made my skin much worse. My doctor also put me on clonidine to see if the flushing would be more relaxed, but to no avail. It seems to make me less anxious but the flushing still comes and goes. Another treatment he tried was low dose doxycycline for a few months. Made my skin quite soft, but the redness flushing was still there with very little change.

    Now my question is, if it were up to you, would you rather my doc put me on accutane low dose for a long term trial, or would you recommend me get IPL/vbeam? Which should I try first?

    I will attach some pics to show everyone what I'm talking about. I'm getting really sick of this I would love to have a healthy glow to my skin instead of complete redness all over.

    Thank you to everyone for taking the time to ready my post, I hope someone may be able to give me some suggestions as I'm finding it very hard.ti stay positive these days.
    I would rather firstly try vbeam at least 4-5 sessions (dont forget to take photo before and after every session to see if it is working). You can also ask your doctor if she/he can do vbeam while taking low dose accutane but if I were you I would for now try vbeam without accutane.

    Comment


    • #3
      also look at beta blockers like carvedilol, clonidine that helps with flushing

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bear001 View Post
        also look at beta blockers like carvedilol, clonidine that helps with flushing
        Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

        I currently am in clonidine couple times a day, seems to help a bit but makes me quite tired.

        As for the vbeam, I do agree, however i have read some "horror stories" of people that have bruised and caused permanent dark spots on their cheeks. That was my only worry in that.

        I will keep everyone updated with my treatment and progress.

        Thank you for your insight.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by shyguy View Post

          Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

          I currently am in clonidine couple times a day, seems to help a bit but makes me quite tired.

          As for the vbeam, I do agree, however i have read some "horror stories" of people that have bruised and caused permanent dark spots on their cheeks. That was my only worry in that.

          I will keep everyone updated with my treatment and progress.

          Thank you for your insight.
          You can get vbeam without bruising but it takes more sessions to see results. Otherwise there are also KTP lasers like Excel that causes also only swelling and redness

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bear001 View Post

            You can get vbeam without bruising but it takes more sessions to see results. Otherwise there are also KTP lasers like Excel that causes also only swelling and redness
            Interesting. I see. Thanks for your help. I will be sure to keep everyone updated on my rosacea journey.

            Thank you

            Comment


            • #7
              ***UPDATE***

              Hey everyone,

              So right after I made this post, I went back to my doc. And he was adamant on putting me on low dose accutane as he has a few patients on it for this exact same reason. Well fast track 5 months (now) and my rosacea flare ups are virtually gone. I can literally wake up and have no red face nothing. I am currently on 30mg accutane a week. My life is literally changed.

              I have never had clear skin like this and I feel amazing, no side effects that I can mention. At first my skin was peeling and very very dry. Where my rosacea was, I could literally see it peeling off my skin, and clear skin underneath it was insane. But now my skin feels and looks amazing.

              My current medication is 10mg citalopram, 30mg accutane a week (every second day) and .1 clonidine at bedtime. I use a cerave skin cream on my face every morning and night to keep it moisturized.

              Honestly I never thought I would have clear skin let alone a non flushed face. I am completely amazed. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I am so grateful for my doctor he has saved my life.

              Good luck everyone

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shyguy View Post
                ***UPDATE***

                Hey everyone,

                So right after I made this post, I went back to my doc. And he was adamant on putting me on low dose accutane as he has a few patients on it for this exact same reason. Well fast track 5 months (now) and my rosacea flare ups are virtually gone. I can literally wake up and have no red face nothing. I am currently on 30mg accutane a week. My life is literally changed.

                I have never had clear skin like this and I feel amazing, no side effects that I can mention. At first my skin was peeling and very very dry. Where my rosacea was, I could literally see it peeling off my skin, and clear skin underneath it was insane. But now my skin feels and looks amazing.

                My current medication is 10mg citalopram, 30mg accutane a week (every second day) and .1 clonidine at bedtime. I use a cerave skin cream on my face every morning and night to keep it moisturized.

                Honestly I never thought I would have clear skin let alone a non flushed face. I am completely amazed. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I am so grateful for my doctor he has saved my life.

                Good luck everyone
                Hi, thats great . I am currently also taking same accutane dosage (10 mg every other day) but so far I am still red. After how many days, weeks have you seen improvement? Can you post pics of your current skin to see a difference since your first post?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shyguy View Post
                  ***UPDATE***

                  Hey everyone,

                  So right after I made this post, I went back to my doc. And he was adamant on putting me on low dose accutane as he has a few patients on it for this exact same reason. Well fast track 5 months (now) and my rosacea flare ups are virtually gone. I can literally wake up and have no red face nothing. I am currently on 30mg accutane a week. My life is literally changed.

                  I have never had clear skin like this and I feel amazing, no side effects that I can mention. At first my skin was peeling and very very dry. Where my rosacea was, I could literally see it peeling off my skin, and clear skin underneath it was insane. But now my skin feels and looks amazing.

                  My current medication is 10mg citalopram, 30mg accutane a week (every second day) and .1 clonidine at bedtime. I use a cerave skin cream on my face every morning and night to keep it moisturized.

                  Honestly I never thought I would have clear skin let alone a non flushed face. I am completely amazed. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I am so grateful for my doctor he has saved my life.

                  Good luck everyone
                  btw, how long are you taking clonidine and what is your dosage (you mentioned that you take 1 pill before bed). Because clonidine often affects redness (makes face less red). Also citalopram you are taking for rosacea or for flusing? Are you sure that accutane is the only one that made difference?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bear001 View Post

                    btw, how long are you taking clonidine and what is your dosage (you mentioned that you take 1 pill before bed). Because clonidine often affects redness (makes face less red). Also citalopram you are taking for rosacea or for flusing? Are you sure that accutane is the only one that made difference?
                    Hey there, sorry for my delayed reply I only check on here every so often.

                    As for your questions, the accutane probably took about 4-6 weeks to fully see some solid results and skin getting better. My skin got very flaky on my cheeks where the rosacea was and almost fell off, with smooth clean skin underneath. I still have a bit of redness but nothing like it was before. I can't believe it really.

                    Also I have been taking citalopram for a few years now to combat anxiety due to some stress with my job. As for the clonidine, I take one 0.1mg pill at night before bed, then during the day I snap a pill in half and take a half at roughly 10am and another half at 2pm. I find if I take a full one it makes me a bit drowsy. With that being said I find the clonidine to be a game changer. It relaxes me and makes me feel calm which in turn helps my facial redness.

                    Honestly please stick with the accutane it was a game changer for me and something I will probably stick with for the rest of my life.

                    I genuinely hope it works for you as it has changed my life for the better. All the best my friend.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shyguy View Post

                      Hey there, sorry for my delayed reply I only check on here every so often.

                      As for your questions, the accutane probably took about 4-6 weeks to fully see some solid results and skin getting better. My skin got very flaky on my cheeks where the rosacea was and almost fell off, with smooth clean skin underneath. I still have a bit of redness but nothing like it was before. I can't believe it really.

                      Also I have been taking citalopram for a few years now to combat anxiety due to some stress with my job. As for the clonidine, I take one 0.1mg pill at night before bed, then during the day I snap a pill in half and take a half at roughly 10am and another half at 2pm. I find if I take a full one it makes me a bit drowsy. With that being said I find the clonidine to be a game changer. It relaxes me and makes me feel calm which in turn helps my facial redness.

                      Honestly please stick with the accutane it was a game changer for me and something I will probably stick with for the rest of my life.

                      I genuinely hope it works for you as it has changed my life for the better. All the best my friend.
                      How long does it take see improvement in flushing with clonidine? Are you still getting some pimples while you are taking accutane?

                      Thanks

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X