Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZZ cream and Finacea?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Carly!

    I just want to throw it out there, in case you decide to use Soolantra. The reason I chose not to use ZZ cream was because my skin was rough, dry and extremely sensitive, so I wasn't sure if I could tolerate ZZ cream. But, many people use it with no problem at all and I think it could be a great option.

    If you go to the Soolantra website, you can print out a savings card which helps you to buy Soolantra with refills. I spent $75 for a tube that has lasted me over two months (the largest tube). So, that a little less than $40/month (my insurance doesn't cover Soolantra, darn it!). I think that ZZ cream costs as much for a jar, but I'm not sure how long it lasts? Maybe RR can weigh in on this.

    As for my skin, my cheeks were red, flushed and had pustules. I did not have pustules on my forehead or chin. I had an increase in pustules when I started using Soolantra, but it only lasted for a week or two. I know I'm lucky...some deal with pustules for the duration of the 3 month treatment, but everyone's experience is different. Your skin may react more or the issue could resolve very quickly. Pustules never happened on my forehead or chin after Soolantra use...and the redness and burning went away on my cheeks. I thought I had neurogenic rosacea (my left cheek constantly tingled and burned), but after about 6 weeks, that symptom went away too. Soolantra has been a godsend for me, honestly. I was scared about trying it too....but, I'm so glad I did. As I mentioned before, if Soolantra or ZZ cream doesn't work, then at least you know demodex isn't your issue. However, if your main symptoms are pustules, then it is likely that demodex infestation is happening.

    As for make-up...I think you have to wash of ZZ cream in the morning (it's a zinc based paste, so you can't wear it during the day anyway). With Soolantra, I apply it in the evening after I wash my face (I wash only once per day). So, in the morning, I apply sunscreen that is tinted and it acts a bit like make-up. So, yes, make-up is an option if it doesn't irritate your skin.

    I hope this helps!


    M.
    Oh, this does help! Thank you. xx Your skin issues sound a lot like mine! It's both a blessing and a curse to have rosacea condensed into specific areas. I think the fact that the rest of my skin looks normal only highlights how red my cheeks are. (My right cheek is especially angsty.)

    I can't even fork over enough for another dermatologist visit atm, that's why I flew over Soolantra and set my sights on ZZ cream. I literally just bought another tube of Finacea, so I'll sit on all this info before jumping into ZZ cream or Soolantra. I can't find much ZZ cream information on any of the Reddit skincare forums, so that makes me a little bit hesitant.

    To be honest, one of the main reasons I'm afraid of trying either product is because they're my last hope. I mean, I can live with the decent results of Finacea, but I'm always wondering if there's something better. If Zz cream doesn't work, I'll have used up all my options and I'm not sure I'm prepared to face what that implies.

    *ugh* I hate rosacea :p

    Comment


    • #17
      fyi... washing twice a day is kinda rough. You should only do it once.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Carly1981 View Post
        Thanks, Brady. Do you think I could still use Finacea in the morning? I know it's considered an active but I never had the burning or itching that most people experience when they first start, so maybe it's mild enough to use with ZZ cream? I just bought another tube of Finacea last week and even though it didn't cost too much, I really don't want to waste it.

        Speaking of makeup, have you tried BareMinerals? It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and it covers up my red cheeks quite nicely! It's not heavy either. : )
        Yes, I don't see why not use the Finacea in the am after you wash off the ZZ cream. Then apply the Bare Minerals cosmetic. I don't use cosmetics. Never have. Keep us posted on your results.
        Brady Barrows
        Blog - Join the RRDi


        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Carly1981 View Post
          Thank you for the info. I have so many questions:
          Do you know if ZZ cream helps with redness and flushing, too? My cheeks get extremely irritable in the winter thanks to dry, indoor heating.

          My forehead and chin are fine, the only area I have issues with are my cheeks. Will ZZ cream cause the mites to migrate while they're trying to escape? I'm so afraid of ruining the happy parts of my skin.

          I know you're a guy but do you think it's okay to wear makeup after applying the cream? If there's going to be a die off, I'd like to be able to cover up the carnage...unless it's best to leave it alone.

          I have more things to ask but I don't want to be annoying so I'll stop here for now.
          You say that you have Subtype 2 Rosacea. 9/10 times this is caused by Demodex Mites. That is the likely cause of any flushing.

          If you "flush in the winter" only, then you need to clarify if you are talking about a time in your life pre-Subtype 2, or post Subtype 2. If pre-Subtype 2, then the cause is not Demodex Mites, in which case I cannot help you. With Subtype 2, you will flush all year round.

          After Subtype 1, my Subtype 2 started on my cheeks and slowly moved to my forehead and then to my chin. Yes, mites can migrate which is why you apply ZZ Cream and Soolantra to your whole face.

          I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to apply makeup if you want to.

          What else would you like to know? It seems that you are sure that you have Subtype 2 Rosacea likely caused by Demodex Mites. Or do you think you have something else?

          We've been assisting you for several months with many of your questions over various threads. Ask away!
          How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

          Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Carly1981 View Post
            Oh, this does help! Thank you. xx Your skin issues sound a lot like mine! It's both a blessing and a curse to have rosacea condensed into specific areas. I think the fact that the rest of my skin looks normal only highlights how red my cheeks are. (My right cheek is especially angsty.)
            Could be for a number of reasons, such as sleeping on one side, one side seeing more sun, etc. Usually in America it's the left side seeing more sun, at least in people with cars.

            I can't even fork over enough for another dermatologist visit atm, that's why I flew over Soolantra and set my sights on ZZ cream. I literally just bought another tube of Finacea, so I'll sit on all this info before jumping into ZZ cream or Soolantra.
            That's a pity.

            I can't find much ZZ cream information on any of the Reddit skincare forums, so that makes me a little bit hesitant.
            I don't see how that is relevant at all? If you only trust Reddit then go and ask Reddit and let them advise you. It's a bit of a slap in the face to us otherwise, and you'd be wasting our time.

            https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAdd...apulopustular/

            To be honest, one of the main reasons I'm afraid of trying either product is because they're my last hope. I mean, I can live with the decent results of Finacea, but I'm always wondering if there's something better. If Zz cream doesn't work, I'll have used up all my options and I'm not sure I'm prepared to face what that implies.

            *ugh* I hate rosacea :p
            There is a vast amount of information about ZZ Cream and Soolantra. There is nothing to be sceptical about. If you have Demodectic Rosacea/Subtype 2 Rosacea, they are going to help you.

            Trust me, having Demodectic Rosacea/Subtype 2 is a blessing. Vascular Rosacea - general redness and flushing with an unknown cause - is what you don't want.
            Last edited by RedRecluse; 17 October 2017, 07:47 AM.
            How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

            Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
              You say that you have Subtype 2 Rosacea. 9/10 times this is caused by Demodex Mites. That is the likely cause of any flushing.

              If you "flush in the winter" only, then you need to clarify if you are talking about a time in your life pre-Subtype 2, or post Subtype 2. If pre-Subtype 2, then the cause is not Demodex Mites, in which case I cannot help you. With Subtype 2, you will flush all year round.
              When my rosacea first started, about three years ago, it began with night flushes (heat and redness in my cheeks) a few times a week during the winter. It was so random and sporadic, I didn't know what to make of it. I had not even heard of rosacea at the time. The flushing stopped in the spring and summer, but kicked up again as soon as the temperature dropped. Last fall/winter the acne started appearing and things went from mild to horrible.

              I think I made things worse last winter because during a particularly bad flushing epiosde, I went outside to shovel snow without any protection. It was windy and frigid but I just wanted my face to cool off. Stupid move, I know. Anyway, I don't think my cheeks ever forgave me for doing that, as I've hardly had any normal-skin days since.

              So I ~think~ I have an unfortunate combination of both rosacea subtypes (if that's even possible). I hardly flushed this summer and, thanks to Finacea, the acne has improved. My cheeks are almost constantly pink, though; something I'll probably just have to live with, but I'm worried about the coming winter. Dry air + indoor heating are major triggers and since my home is drafty, each room is a different temperature. My face has to constantly adapt, which induces flushing...which induces breakouts. I breakout about 78% of the time after a flushing episode, although there've been a few times I broke out without flushing. Before and during a flushing episode my cheeks will feel *tingly* - almost a pins & needles sensation, shortly after the heat starts and it feels as though someone is holding a lighter up to specific spots on my cheeks (usually where a zit will soon develop). If I sit in front of a small fan at the onset, I can sometimes prevent it from becoming worse.

              This is why I'm not sure ZZ cream would help, it's like I have a weird hybrid of rosacea types.
              Last edited by Carly1981; 18 October 2017, 08:56 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by sham View Post
                fyi... washing twice a day is kinda rough. You should only do it once.
                My skin looks its best after washing, it's calm and happy. In the winter I can sometimes get away with washing only at night, but I kind of love the process. I've been using bottled water for several months now, and of course gentle cleansers, so it's a huge improvement from when I used to scrub my skin with physical exfoliants and hard water. Although I do miss the days when I could get away with doing that. :-/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Hi Carly,

                  Which gentle cleansers does your skin tolerate?
                  I am having a hard time finding anything my skin will accept.

                  Thx,
                  Bluedog

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bluedog View Post
                    Hi Carly,

                    Which gentle cleansers does your skin tolerate?
                    I am having a hard time finding anything my skin will accept.

                    Thx,
                    Bluedog
                    In the morning I use Avène's Gentle Cleansing Lotion. It says you can wipe it off with a tissue, but I splash it off with water just to be sure everything rinses off. https://www.dermstore.com/product_Ex...tion_43632.htm

                    At night I use La Roche-Posay's Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser. It's a bit pricey but you only need a small amount to make a nice foam, so it lasts a long time. (I should add that this one leaves a light film on my face, but it's never irritated my skin in any way.) https://www.dermstore.com/product_To...anser_1499.htm

                    I hope that helps! Both brands have a ton of different products for various issues but everything is geared towards sensitive skin. :-)

                    *Also, switching to bottled water has made a big difference in how reactive my skin is. My tap water is ridiculously hard. To save plastic and money, I usually refill several gallon bottles once a month (at the grocery store).

                    I pour some water into a large, wide bowl and use it to get rid of most of the cleanser and also use a spray bottle to rinse off any residue. The only downfall to this method is not having warm water (to open the pores), but so far, so good.
                    Last edited by Carly1981; 18 October 2017, 08:49 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Carly1981 View Post
                      When my rosacea first started, about three years ago, it began with night flushes (heat and redness in my cheeks) a few times a week during the winter. It was so random and sporadic, I didn't know what to make of it. I had not even heard of rosacea at the time. The flushing stopped in the spring and summer, but kicked up again as soon as the temperature dropped. Last fall/winter the acne started appearing and things went from mild to horrible.

                      I think I made things worse last winter because during a particularly bad flushing epiosde, I went outside to shovel snow without any protection. It was windy and frigid but I just wanted my face to cool off. Stupid move, I know. Anyway, I don't think my cheeks ever forgave me for doing that, as I've hardly had any normal-skin days since.

                      So I ~think~ I have an unfortunate combination of both rosacea subtypes (if that's even possible). I hardly flushed this summer and, thanks to Finacea, the acne has improved. My cheeks are almost constantly pink, though; something I'll probably just have to live with, but I'm worried about the coming winter. Dry air + indoor heating are major triggers and since my home is drafty, each room is a different temperature. My face has to constantly adapt, which induces flushing...which induces breakouts. I breakout about 78% of the time after a flushing episode, although there've been a few times I broke out without flushing. Before and during a flushing episode my cheeks will feel *tingly* - almost a pins & needles sensation, shortly after the heat starts and it feels as though someone is holding a lighter up to specific spots on my cheeks (usually where a zit will soon develop). If I sit in front of a small fan at the onset, I can sometimes prevent it from becoming worse.

                      This is why I'm not sure ZZ cream would help, it's like I have a weird hybrid of rosacea types.


                      What you describe totally sounds like demodex to me. I have subtype 1 too, but all the symptoms you mention above (pins and needles, burning, pustules after a flush, etc) have dramatically decreased since Soolantra.

                      I definitely don't flush as much and when I do, I never breakout in pustules anymore.

                      I'd just go for it, girl! You have nothing to lose! What if you could be free from this horrible cycle of flushing and pustules in less than 3 months (or sooner)??? I am rooting for you to kick some demodex *ss!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MissM View Post
                        What you describe totally sounds like demodex to me. I have subtype 1 too, but all the symptoms you mention above (pins and needles, burning, pustules after a flush, etc) have dramatically decreased since Soolantra.

                        I definitely don't flush as much and when I do, I never breakout in pustules anymore.

                        I'd just go for it, girl! You have nothing to lose! What if you could be free from this horrible cycle of flushing and pustules in less than 3 months (or sooner)??? I am rooting for you to kick some demodex *ss!
                        I didn't know you could have both, or that demodex could start out as type 1. I'm relieved!!
                        MissM, I think you've convinced me. xx

                        Just to be sure: since I can't get Soolantra, is ZZ cream pretty much the same?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Carly1981 View Post
                          I didn't know you could have both, or that demodex could start out as type 1. I'm relieved!!
                          MissM, I think you've convinced me. xx

                          Just to be sure: since I can't get Soolantra, is ZZ cream pretty much the same?
                          Soolantra contains Ivermectin which is used by vets to kill parasites on animals.

                          ZZ Cream uses Zinc Oxide and Sublimed Sulfur/Sulphur. Far more natural, and really soothing on the skin.

                          So no, it's not the same, but it is better. All the important info you need is in my thread.
                          How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

                          Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
                            Soolantra contains Ivermectin which is used by vets to kill parasites on animals.

                            ZZ Cream uses Zinc Oxide and Sublimed Sulfur/Sulphur. Far more natural, and really soothing on the skin.

                            So no, it's not the same, but it is better. All the important info you need is in my thread.
                            yaaa, that's called a false equivalency. I really appreciate that you have found relief with zinc, but your constant and insistent advocacy is approaching aluminum siding salesman proportions...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by rascali View Post
                              yaaa, that's called a false equivalency. I really appreciate that you have found relief with zinc, but your constant and insistent advocacy is approaching aluminum siding salesman proportions...
                              Before you denigrate an incredible product such as by referring to it as "zinc", rather place me on ignore. A product - let alone the condition of Demodectic Rosacea - which most people have not heard of, or are sceptical of once they've heard of it (like I was about ZZ Cream and Demodex Mites). There are many advocates for it here who prefer it over Soolantra/Ivermectin. Many positive reviews about it online - as many as there are for Soolantra, which is not available in many countries, like mine. And if it was, it would be four times the price of ZZ Cream. Bet you never thought about that. Nor about not everyone having insurance/medical aid - did you even read this thread about the OP not being able to afford Soolantra? Or that the OP has been struggling for months and is sceptical about Demodex Mites/Soolantra/ZZ Cream, and has already received tons of repetitive advice over numerous threads? And lastly, I bet you never thought about Ivermectin and Cannabis (your concoction of choice) being illegal/not OTC in many countries...
                              Last edited by RedRecluse; 19 October 2017, 01:54 AM.
                              How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

                              Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
                                Soolantra contains Ivermectin which is used by vets to kill parasites on animals.

                                ZZ Cream uses Zinc Oxide and Sublimed Sulfur/Sulphur. Far more natural, and really soothing on the skin.

                                So no, it's not the same, but it is better. All the important info you need is in my thread.
                                Thanks, RR. The fact that ZZ cream is not filled with chemicals makes my hippie, granola-loving heart feel better. : ) I just wonder why it's not sold everywhere since you don't need an Rx. I'm worried that, years from now, something will come out saying that it's harmful or has latent side-effects.

                                I know it seems like I'm being stubborn about this, and I don't intend to come off that way. I've always been very mindful about what I put in (and on) my body, so I have to be 110% certain that something is safe before using it. I also overthink. Everything. lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X