Starting a keto (very low carb) diet! Updates here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a keto (very low carb) diet! Updates here

I've read how Brady raves about low carbing for rosacea and that was my inspiration to try. I actually have known about this diet all summer long but I always fall off. Either something sad in my personal life happens or family brings a ton of sweets home, etc. So I am embarrassed to say that the most I've ever lasted is only a week lol. Since I like to go all in or do nothing at all, I decided that instead of simply lowering my carbs I'll go straight to the keto diet which demands only up to 20 grams of carbs a day. A wonderful keto diet resource is the keto subreddit which, by the way, is full of not only weight loss stories but also miraculous sounding remissions from all kinds of chronic diseases. I've read about eczema, psoriasis, allergies, eye problems, diabetes, even rosacea and other ailments improving a lot on keto. Of course it is all unscientific etc but, eh, I have been wanting to try for so long and I am really pissed at myself for not being able to stick to it. I would've been done with it already. >: (
    So I'm making this post, and I'll update here I think daily because if I have to report back to other people it will motivate me to not let them down and stick with the diet. I'd say this is day one, I got into ketosis yesterday I'm pretty sure. So, yeah. My concerns: type 1, so redness that comes and goes, bad, oily skin on nose, occasional vasomotor rhinitis (which has been much better recently by the way!!!). I want to try the diet for at least a month and finally prove myself that I've got some sort of self control, gee.
    Btw, I've also read that some people seem to get sunburned less easily on keto so maybe it also gives you some sun protection which is always good. I really hope I don't screw this up again, I've tried like 6 times already

Originally posted by eIegantsquatIobster View Post
    I've read how Brady raves about low carbing for rosacea and that was my inspiration to try. I actually have known about this diet all summer long but I always fall off. Either something sad in my personal life happens or family brings a ton of sweets home, etc. So I am embarrassed to say that the most I've ever lasted is only a week lol. Since I like to go all in or do nothing at all, I decided that instead of simply lowering my carbs I'll go straight to the keto diet which demands only up to 20 grams of carbs a day. A wonderful keto diet resource is the keto subreddit which, by the way, is full of not only weight loss stories but also miraculous sounding remissions from all kinds of chronic diseases. I've read about eczema, psoriasis, allergies, eye problems, diabetes, even rosacea and other ailments improving a lot on keto. Of course it is all unscientific etc but, eh, I have been wanting to try for so long and I am really pissed at myself for not being able to stick to it. I would've been done with it already. >: (
    So I'm making this post, and I'll update here I think daily because if I have to report back to other people it will motivate me to not let them down and stick with the diet. I'd say this is day one, I got into ketosis yesterday I'm pretty sure. So, yeah. My concerns: type 1, so redness that comes and goes, bad, oily skin on nose, occasional vasomotor rhinitis (which has been much better recently by the way!!!). I want to try the diet for at least a month and finally prove myself that I've got some sort of self control, gee.
    Btw, I've also read that some people seem to get sunburned less easily on keto so maybe it also gives you some sun protection which is always good. I really hope I don't screw this up again, I've tried like 6 times already
    Thank you for taking this on and being willing to share your results here. It will be so interesting to read and follow this thread.

That being said up front, I feel pretty confident you will see some sort of results. Food definitely seems to play a role in rosacea. So many folks report how diet has affected them. Removing the known triggers from my own diet/lifestyle has helped me immensely.

Wishing you all the best!

Comment

Thank you for answering, if there's at least one person following this I MUST follow the diet, I really don't want to let down anyone lol! I know, food can help. I've been restricting my calories a bit for about the past week and saw improvements in my rhinitis, also what helped it was intermittent fasting (36 hours per week), but it could only do so much.
      So, for the first day: I already bought an artifical sweetener =D (don't worry it's keto safe) and am about to make a huge coffee with it and heavy cream, it's gona be GOOD. I don't usually drink coffee because caffeine makes me flush but one mug won't do any harm.
      Was at the mall, saw chocolates and ice cream and felt like I'll never do good without carbs. I really like carbs. A lot. sigh, but I'm holding on!

Comment

Thank you for answering, if there's at least one person following this I MUST follow the diet, I really don't want to let down anyone lol! I know, food can help. I've been restricting my calories a bit for about the past week and saw improvements in my rhinitis, also what helped it was intermittent fasting (36 hours per week), but it could only do so much.
        So, for the first day: I already bought an artifical sweetener =D (don't worry it's keto safe) and am about to make a huge coffee with it and heavy cream, it's gona be GOOD. I don't usually drink coffee because caffeine makes me flush but one mug won't do any harm.
        Was at the mall, saw chocolates and ice cream and felt like I'll never do good without carbs. I really like carbs. A lot. sigh, but I'm holding on!
        You can do this!

Comment

I'll be watching your thread closely. I hope this helps to motivate you further I'm going sugar free in a week (I've tried several times but keep caving to the cravings) and plan to work towards significantly reduced carbs. Good luck and please keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Comment

Look forward to hearing the results. I'm currently on a low carb diet for other reasons, and its amazing for weight loss and overall health.

Anyone else interesting in trying a low carb diet, the best information i've found is here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Keep in mind you will need to supplement with electrolytes (potassium & magnesium).

realwork

Comment

Day two:

Boy oh boy is this diet hard for me, the second I forbid myself pizza I'll crave pizza. My mood is down below us all the way in hell and maybe I lack magnesium (common for keto, very important), I'll try supplementing. But then I'll have to wait for the magnesium to arrive and, ugh
              I still haven't given up though and you guys do make me want to stay on but, seriously, at times I have big doubts I'll make it. Today I even calculated how much is 30 days minus 8 hours per day for sleep in hours. Turned out to be 480. I recently started university which is very hard and boring, and lonely so that's extra stress and probably making things harder. Ugh, basically life is hard. -.-
              Btw, I'm not asking for pity or anything lol, just bad mood for now, this, too, shall pass

Comment

Expect a lot of updates here, this is like my online keto diary ._.
                So I'm extra pissed because I just discovered my 750g pack of avocados (NOT CHEAP!!!) is all rotten. Bummed me out, Iļl be extra careful3000 next time I shop for them.
                On the positive note: I don't have to order magnesium citrate online, I bought it in powdered form at a local pharmacy, drank one packet already, I hope it'll make me feel better emotionally.
                I have a bit of an issue with eating too much meat and cheese (protein). Keto is supposed to be a high fat diet, not high protein. I drink quite a lot of hot cocoa with artifical sweetener. My face has been quite calm when I drink warm/hot beverages for the last few months, it's really nice.

Comment

Day two:

Boy oh boy is this diet hard for me, the second I forbid myself pizza I'll crave pizza. My mood is down below us all the way in hell and maybe I lack magnesium (common for keto, very important), I'll try supplementing. But then I'll have to wait for the magnesium to arrive and, ugh
                  I still haven't given up though and you guys do make me want to stay on but, seriously, at times I have big doubts I'll make it. Today I even calculated how much is 30 days minus 8 hours per day for sleep in hours. Turned out to be 480. I recently started university which is very hard and boring, and lonely so that's extra stress and probably making things harder. Ugh, basically life is hard. -.-
                  Btw, I'm not asking for pity or anything lol, just bad mood for now, this, too, shall pass
                  Don't forget potassium as well.

Comment

Keep it up!

Comment

Day 3.
                      Thank you everyone who joined! The more people, the more pressure for me to stay on this! Yeah, there's a bit of issue with potassium, but there's a good chance I'm getting quite enough from just foods. I bought a salt which also has a bit of potassium and magnesium.
                      The biggest help for my keto diet is the artificial sweetener, I've been drinking cups of sweet cocoa with lots of cream and it's just heaven. I've been very busy and at uni there's not much time to eat even and that also helps to stick with the diet lol!

Today I also began to discover the power of makeup for covering redness and that made me quite happy : )
                      It's ridiculous for me as a girl to only try out makeup now, but I've always had this "healthy skin, not a sick one covered in makeup" attitude but to hell with it. When I catch my reflection in the mirror and I look nice with the help of makeup, it just makes me happy.
                      Cold weather is still gona probably screw me up but I'll worry about that later when it comes.

Comment

I'm just wondering what artificial sweetener you use in your hot chocolate. I try to avoid them as I have read that they can be bad for gut health and I have digestive issues which I'm trying to resolve with kefir and diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Emz View Post
                          I'm just wondering what artificial sweetener you use in your hot chocolate. I try to avoid them as I have read that they can be bad for gut health and I have digestive issues which I'm trying to resolve with kefir and diet.

It's a mix of aspartame and acesulfame k. I hate the word gut and the term gut health and don't talk to me about that, my gut is perfectly fine. It just triggers me because it always goes hand in hand with natural healing, yoga, forced positivity, prayer, gluten and what not else that I hate.

Comment

It's a mix of aspartame and acesulfame k. I hate the word gut and the term gut health and don't talk to me about that, my gut is perfectly fine. It just triggers me because it always goes hand in hand with natural healing, yoga, forced positivity, prayer, gluten and what not else that I hate.
                            Haha! Fair enough. I wasn't implying that your digestive system wasn't healthy, just that I have some issues which I am trying to resolve and therefore do what I can to avoid things that may potentially exacerbate these issues. "Forced positivity" sounds like my idea of torture (it's a new one on me).

Comment

Mostly same here

You go girl!

I know how HARD is to not eat carbs, I've been on a low carb diet for... three months? more or less, so far I've lost 7 kilos but it appears that my diet doesnt do anything for my skin problems... and also make-up always make it worse! it is so frustrating!! anyway, I love to see someone succesing!

Comment

Working...
                              X