I used to be a pretty girl...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amberelle View Post
    Thank you. I might try the demodex route. Have you had success with treating demodex?
    If so, what kind of symptoms did/do you have?
    Hi Amberelle

I believe I've successfully treated my demodex infestation with Soolantra. You can see my photos on the Soolantra thread. My cheeks were red, sore, lumpy and itched and stung at the same time.

My skin has continued to improve and is now even better than my 'after' photo. I stopped using Soolantra after about 8 weeks and worked on repairing my skin barrier.

Amongst other things, I use Le Roche Posay - Cicaplast Baume (SPF 50) to repair the skin barrier and The Ordinary's 10% Azelic Acid.

You have my sympathies, it's a soul destroying thing to have to deal with. I hardly went out when I was at my worst.

Comment

Hi Amberelle

I've replied to your PM re Demodex/ZZ Cream. Please do post some clear pics of your skin so that we can diagnose properly.
      How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Thank you. I might try the demodex route. Have you had success with treating demodex?
        If so, what kind of symptoms did/do you have?
        Hi Amberelle,

YES! I'm on my third week of Soolantra and my skin is doing very well.

My symptoms were a bit different than most people---I did not suffer the usual P&Ps, but instead my skin was very "dry", flaky, red, blotchy, felt like sandpaper, and I would get this insane dead skin build-up. I would also break out in pustules...very superficial (not deep), maybe 1-2 at a time, maybe more...but pustules weren't my big issue.

Within 2 weeks, all the flakes and dead skin are gone. My skin is smooth. I still flush (I have subtype 1) but not as bad as before to my usual triggers. My skin feels more even, smooth and like the skin barrier is healing----all in 3 weeks!! I too was encouraged to try an anti-demodectic (by RedRecluse) on this forum, and I'm so grateful that I did. After a year of suffering, I feel like my skin is moving in the right direction. I don't think you have anything to lose! It is worth a try, right?

I hope this helps,
        -M.

Comment

Amberelle, MissM is right. You have nothing to lose! Soolantra is a great place to start. I have type 1, but still find it soothing. (The tea tree treatment has helped a lot of folks here. Kisha, for example, is a member here. You can search for her posts. Also, she documented her experience on her bog: http://itsjustyourface.blogspot.com/?m=1).

However, I think Soolantra would be a better fit. Tea tree oil was a popular treatment before we had Soolantra or for people who couldn't afford it.)

Eating healthy is quite doable. If you find your losing weight - make sure you build in plenty of healthy fats - avocados, nuts, you can search for a list). Also protein. Healthy fats and protein will help you feel satiated - not weak, hungry or shaky. And will help you from dropping weight.

You don't have to be extreme about it. Even removing a few triggering foods can help. And please up the water. You will see a difference. I did. And so have many others here.

It's easy to feel a bit paralyzed after we've tried so many things that haven't worked. But if you search around the forum - you'll find that Soolantra and diet modifications have helped many folks here. You'll start to see improvement very soon with diet changes - which is motivating!

Comment

Amberelle, did you take any antibiotics at some point before developing rosacea? Perhaps before your Thailand trip?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Here I have attached some pictures of my skin. I realize that these are not extremely clear, so I might take a few more later on.
              The first three picture show the bumps on my forehead, the latter two the redness on my cheeks which seems to be permanent, forehead redness comes and goes.

I do get P&P's, although not on my cheeks. They are concentrated on my jawline and chin area.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Amberelle; 8 September 2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

A picture of my jawline/chin area.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not your typical Demodectic Rosacea symptoms, and as far as I know the jawline isn't a common place for them to be. Usually the oily places, chin definitely, nose, cheeks/upper cheeks, temples, forehead. I see some bumps on your forehead, could be Demodex but you say you don't get pustules there. The pics aren't clear, perhaps post some no makeup pics under good light.
                  How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
                    Amberelle, MissM is right. You have nothing to lose! Soolantra is a great place to start. I have type 1, but still find it soothing. (The tea tree treatment has helped a lot of folks here. Kisha, for example, is a member here. You can search for her posts. Also, she documented her experience on her bog: http://itsjustyourface.blogspot.com/?m=1).

However, I think Soolantra would be a better fit. Tea tree oil was a popular treatment before we had Soolantra or for people who couldn't afford it.)

Eating healthy is quite doable. If you find your losing weight - make sure you build in plenty of healthy fats - avocados, nuts, you can search for a list). Also protein. Healthy fats and protein will help you feel satiated - not weak, hungry or shaky. And will help you from dropping weight.

You don't have to be extreme about it. Even removing a few triggering foods can help. And please up the water. You will see a difference. I did. And so have many others here.

It's easy to feel a bit paralyzed after we've tried so many things that haven't worked. But if you search around the forum - you'll find that Soolantra and diet modifications have helped many folks here. You'll start to see improvement very soon with diet changes - which is motivating!
                    I'm very afraid of embarking on a diet like this, especially since my whole environment does not want to hear anything about a diet. I continuously get remarks about being underweight, and even thinking of a diet makes me anxious.
                    Doctors believe my problems are all due to being underweight and therefore having compromised my immune system. I currently weigh 43 and am 5"3 (two years ago I weighed 51), maybe that gives you an idea of why it's so hard for me to consider this.
                    I loose weight very very fast, and when I tried the GAPS diet I weighed under 40 kg within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by bacopal View Post
                      Amberelle, did you take any antibiotics at some point before developing rosacea? Perhaps before your Thailand trip?
                      Hey Bacopal,

I have used a one week course of Doxycycline for a flu I wasn't able to fight off myself. But I already had rosacea symptoms before this, although not as bad.
                      I am currently on a two week course of antibiotics for stomach issues, which have settles down, and I make sure to take probiotics with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
                        Not your typical Demodectic Rosacea symptoms, and as far as I know the jawline isn't a common place for them to be. Usually the oily places, chin definitely, nose, cheeks/upper cheeks, temples, forehead. I see some bumps on your forehead, could be Demodex but you say you don't get pustules there. The pics aren't clear, perhaps post some no makeup pics under good light.
                        I will try to post pictures later today. I agree it does not look like a typical Demodectic Rosacea case.

Two days ago I applied TTO on my face (the problem areas), and the next day I woke up with pustules in my neck, chest, and shoulders. Does this indicate Demodex?

Comment

I will try to post pictures later today. I agree it does not look like a typical Demodectic Rosacea case.

Two days ago I applied TTO on my face (the problem areas), and the next day I woke up with pustules in my neck, chest, and shoulders. Does this indicate Demodex?
                          A die-off (when all/most Demodex Mites die, which causes pustules en masse) usually takes a few days to occur. Though if you applied TTO undiluted, it could have caused a quicker die-off. It could very well be Demodex, as pustules are the telltale sign especially after using products like TTO. It could be a reaction to TTO, or it could be something else. Some people do have Demodex Mites in more parts of their body than just their face.

Would you say that you get your pustules constantly, or do they seem to come in cycles? My cycles used to be about every 3 weeks where I would have more pustules than not. In between I'd have fewer. I'd have days of calm, flare-ups, calm, flare-ups, etc. in cycles.

Await clear pics of your face/pustules.

Comment

Yes from those pics I really don't think it would take you long to clear up. Looks really really .......mild. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondS View Post
                              Yes from those pics I really don't think it would take you long to clear up. Looks really really .......mild. Good luck

Yes I agree. Hopefully once you figure out the root cause it'll go very fast. If it makes you feel better I wouldn't notice it at all, it looks really mild!

Comment

You don't appear to have rosacea. Rather, acne. Specifically closed comedones. You probably should seek out a second opinion with another derm. I think you've been incorrectly diagnosed.

Also, acne along the jawline is usually hormonal. The derm can prescribe something for that. Spironolactone, for example.

I agree with the others. This is a very mild case.

Also, on diet, I was merely suggesting that you go for healthy choices versus processed foods, high sugar items, inflammatory dairy, etc. Clearly something you're eating isn't agreeing with you given your digestive issues. You can maintain carbs - but stick with healthy carbs - sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, etc. Versus white bread, candy, cookies, etc.

You are still pretty.
                                Last edited by hg24; 9 September 2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X